Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Long days have been wiled away by many a gamer wondering which game is art but a concensus has not been reached is it the stylistic stylings of titles such as call of duty modern warefare two or the nuanced tones of games such as batman arkham knight this time its personal who can tell but there is one thing for sure and that is that at least one game that exists and has been created exists as a piece of art and it is up to us to decide it so please join me in this journy into the art of games my first nomination is for the acclaimed 2002 title bioshock it is a vicarious retelling of the classical novella ayn rand by henry kissenger which fuses the realism and post modern stylings of the films of lars von trier with a honest and bare faced look at the human condition ala junpei gomikawa and absolutely in my mind counts as the first real look into video games as a movement of art but however some people feel that the games heavy handed handling of themes such as capitalism and electrically charged spider people took a dive to deep for us to deal with and thus became what we call unart or otherwise known as the reversal of artistic intent because of inconsistencies in the narrative aka ludonarrative dissonance in light of such complaints i would like to put forward seminal 1990s video game system shock 2 forward as another candidate as it is a title dealing with robots and cyborgs which constantly respawn as you battle an evil ai through the tunnels of a ship that has lost its way in the world after turning to drugs and alcohol much like the series condemned which is also art in this series you play as a down beat cop on the edge who has to save his neighbourhood from the people in the neighbourhood which perfectly encapsulates the themes put forth in war and peace if you think about it long enough but also it perfectly reflects the reality of games like too human which ask the question can we really be too human or more human than human and also answers it with the answer yes we can be and we are and also we are going to be and we may have been in the past and so we must kill that which is ourselves ie other humans and level up and gain more powers which really feels like it influence diablo which is a modern retelling of dante the classic video game character from devil may cry a game which is about the subjective and objective issues with our own comprehension of empathy and compassion because we must face up to the fact that even devils may indeed cry much like adolf hitler the star of return to return to castle wolfenstien a game which takes the occult influences of the late 70s and truly mixes them with post futuristic looks at transhuman experiences and our own mortality as bj the bear who himself is an analog to the classical gaming character of the marine in doom which again is another series which really pushes the occult influences we see in many books of the time such as a song of fire and ice which neatly leads into our next art game dragon age which is a game where dragons ironically do not age in a hefty stoy line which looks at the bare facts of our own mortality with regards to dragons who themselves are immortal as long as they consume enough gold and treasure a trope which was single handedly setup by jd tolkein who himself influenced games like cliver barkers undying which itself drew heavy influence from films such as saw and paranormal activity speaking of which the saw game was surprisingly good dont you think maybe thats art as well i dont know im not here to answer these questions just ask them so please let me know what you think vis a vis art and whether or not any of the games i have discussed here are in deed art and if not why not and if any games are in fact art or if none are or if you believe that games are able or not able to be art or visa versa i mean lets have a dialogue here ok i mean that is the real issue when you get down to it when you really get into the issues of today with syria and video games being art and whether or not kojima will release his new game on pc the real issue is we just do not talk enough so lets talk about these things and whether war is art or kojimas games are art maybe you think kojima himself is art i dont know i dont want to put words in your mouth but if you do think that then please post about it as as i just said a second ago discussion is the point here and if we have learnt anything from no country for old men its that fascism is questionable at best and people just dont talk enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Me, about to click the gas button when I see "stylistic stylings:" Nevermind. Carry on, Stux.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Me, about to click the gas button when I see "stylistic stylings:" Nevermind. Carry on, Stux.

Would you like to talk about and discuss whether or not art exists as a concept a solid concept in objective based reasoning or if perhaps the concept of art itself has "gone galt" and no longer has meaning perhaps if we look at the ways in which the memelogical release of the year of luigi edition of super mario world influenced and were consequently an influence and itself influenced by this upending of order which could perhaps lead us to think about the possibility of art in gaming as expressed in a HYPOTHETICAL game in the future which we will know as and call Waluigi's Large Game Box Full Of Fun But Also Perhaps Art Or That Which We Perceive To Be Art Although It May Be Objectively Argued As Non-Art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

muramasa. it has one fox lady with huge boobs and another with a huge rear end. that's what we call theming.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

muramasa. it has one fox lady with huge boobs and another with a huge rear end. that's what we call theming.

Themes are indeed important in art if we look at and draw from the themes of the monochrome movement for example we can see the themes and realities of muramasa perfectly encapsulated and reflected by pieces such as supremacist composition white on white which itself is an excellent commentary on our very base desires for uniformity infused with the natural humanistic tradition of rebellion against authority and i believe that regressing these ideas and then transposing them forward into the future before retroactively melding them in with classics such as the illiad we can arrive at the conclusion that muramasa artistically speaking is on par with the paintings of monet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Too many of these words are spelled right.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Too many of these words are spelled right.

Too bad there's no punctuation. My brain is too tired to read run-on paragraphs.

wb though Stux, Chie is still great.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm not reading that but subscribed :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I read it but I'm not subscribing

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Papers Please

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Undertale. It taught me what it means

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mario Paint.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Things do not become "more art" by being better art. All videogames are art, they are just bad art.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

need more games with old streched baby things screaming in pain

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I only don't agree with the ludo ludonarrative dissonance part

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

UNNNNNNNGHHHRTAAAAAAAALE

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Art Academy. It has art in the title, people!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mario Teaches Typing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Things do not become "more art" by being better art. All videogames are art, they are just bad art.

An interesting viewpoint but lets attempt to move away from the subjective as futile as that may be and move into objectivity that is objective observations which tell us if something is art or not or in other words absolute and concrete evidence of the existence of art or to rephrase it ways that we can be certain art is art or to put a more modern spin on it how to tell if something is truly the pulp fiction of X and i believe that we can empirically prove that video games are exactly the the pulp fiction of X let me push this idea forward and say that in fact all video games whether or not they have anime in them or not are pure art of the highest level comparable to the truest art of the older mediums that is to say pulp fiction by showing that even games without anime still hold true to the inevitable comparison of a cheese burger and a driving scene where john travolta and samuel l jackson are sitting in a car which is actually on a flat bed truck and in this way we can see that lords of the fallen is a true embodiment of pulp fiction that is to say art.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Super Mario 64

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

super artio 64

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Um Jammer Lammy, without irony.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If while playing a new game you start wondering 'Is this really a game? Where's the gameplay?' or alternatively you're screaming frustrated that you can't 'just shoot stuff' then my friend, right in that moment you can be sure that you have stumbled upon a gem and you're through the proverbial looking glass as what you're witnessing is art.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This post is the most art game.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
What Art is the most Game?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Observe Me posted:

Tie between can of soup, melty clocks and freaky go nowhere stairs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Observe Me posted:

Rembrandt

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Two players create art for five minutes. The player who creates the most art wins.

These are the simple rules of the most art game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Stux posted:

Long days have been wiled away by many a gamer wondering which game is art but a concensus has not been reached is it the stylistic stylings of titles such as call of duty modern warefare two or the nuanced tones of games such as batman arkham knight this time its personal who can tell but there is one thing for sure and that is that at least one game that exists and has been created exists as a piece of art and it is up to us to decide it so please join me in this journy into the art of games my first nomination is for the acclaimed 2002 title bioshock it is a vicarious retelling of the classical novella ayn rand by henry kissenger which fuses the realism and post modern stylings of the films of lars von trier with a honest and bare faced look at the human condition ala junpei gomikawa and absolutely in my mind counts as the first real look into video games as a movement of art but however some people feel that the games heavy handed handling of themes such as capitalism and electrically charged spider people took a dive to deep for us to deal with and thus became what we call unart or otherwise known as the reversal of artistic intent because of inconsistencies in the narrative aka ludonarrative dissonance in light of such complaints i would like to put forward seminal 1990s video game system shock 2 forward as another candidate as it is a title dealing with robots and cyborgs which constantly respawn as you battle an evil ai through the tunnels of a ship that has lost its way in the world after turning to drugs and alcohol much like the series condemned which is also art in this series you play as a down beat cop on the edge who has to save his neighbourhood from the people in the neighbourhood which perfectly encapsulates the themes put forth in war and peace if you think about it long enough but also it perfectly reflects the reality of games like too human which ask the question can we really be too human or more human than human and also answers it with the answer yes we can be and we are and also we are going to be and we may have been in the past and so we must kill that which is ourselves ie other humans and level up and gain more powers which really feels like it influence diablo which is a modern retelling of dante the classic video game character from devil may cry a game which is about the subjective and objective issues with our own comprehension of empathy and compassion because we must face up to the fact that even devils may indeed cry much like adolf hitler the star of return to return to castle wolfenstien a game which takes the occult influences of the late 70s and truly mixes them with post futuristic looks at transhuman experiences and our own mortality as bj the bear who himself is an analog to the classical gaming character of the marine in doom which again is another series which really pushes the occult influences we see in many books of the time such as a song of fire and ice which neatly leads into our next art game dragon age which is a game where dragons ironically do not age in a hefty stoy line which looks at the bare facts of our own mortality with regards to dragons who themselves are immortal as long as they consume enough gold and treasure a trope which was single handedly setup by jd tolkein who himself influenced games like cliver barkers undying which itself drew heavy influence from films such as saw and paranormal activity speaking of which the saw game was surprisingly good dont you think maybe thats art as well i dont know im not here to answer these questions just ask them so please let me know what you think vis a vis art and whether or not any of the games i have discussed here are in deed art and if not why not and if any games are in fact art or if none are or if you believe that games are able or not able to be art or visa versa i mean lets have a dialogue here ok i mean that is the real issue when you get down to it when you really get into the issues of today with syria and video games being art and whether or not kojima will release his new game on pc the real issue is we just do not talk enough so lets talk about these things and whether war is art or kojimas games are art maybe you think kojima himself is art i dont know i dont want to put words in your mouth but if you do think that then please post about it as as i just said a second ago discussion is the point here and if we have learnt anything from no country for old men its that fascism is questionable at best and people just dont talk enough.

ITs cool that this guy isnt banned atm.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Palpek posted:

If while playing a new game you start wondering 'Is this really a game? Where's the gameplay?' or alternatively you're screaming frustrated that you can't 'just shoot stuff' then my friend, right in that moment you can be sure that you have stumbled upon a gem and you're through the proverbial looking glass as what you're witnessing is art.

Lets look at this without resorting to such circular reasoning if we are to limit expression that is artistic expression to a game having gameplay we may well as limit cinema to that which is pure cinematography by this metric we would have to concede that titles such as Человек с киноаппаратом and other vertov pieces such as where the traditional trappings of what we are hereforth to understand as a film that is a narrative driven by actors and script and captured by camera is reversed into a creation where the actors and narrative are the camera that is to say the focus is on the cinematography rather than any element which may appear in other mediums outside of film and i think you will agree such a view is very limiting and applying it to games would limit our discussion of what games are art to very few titles as all games in some way will borrow from other narrative mediums being as the human experience is one of collaboration and rejoinder and so here i think from what i have delineated for you you will agree that the only sensible conclusion to take away from this is that the finest and most artful game ever created is or may be or could be or perhaps isnt but still there is a possibility it is Desert Bus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

ITs cool that this guy isnt banned atm.
I'm pretty okay with this thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stux posted:

Lets look at this without resorting to such circular reasoning if we are to limit expression that is artistic expression to a game having gameplay we may well as limit cinema to that which is pure cinematography by this metric we would have to concede that titles such as Человек с киноаппаратом and other vertov pieces such as where the traditional trappings of what we are hereforth to understand as a film that is a narrative driven by actors and script and captured by camera is reversed into a creation where the actors and narrative are the camera that is to say the focus is on the cinematography rather than any element which may appear in other mediums outside of film and i think you will agree such a view is very limiting and applying it to games would limit our discussion of what games are art to very few titles as all games in some way will borrow from other narrative mediums being as the human experience is one of collaboration and rejoinder and so here i think from what i have delineated for you you will agree that the only sensible conclusion to take away from this is that the finest and most artful game ever created is or may be or could be or perhaps isnt but still there is a possibility it is Desert Bus.
What about when a game studio creates a game that becomes art vs an artist who creates art and only uses gaming as a means of expression for its novelty in the art world. The latter is often the case with games considered to be artistic and that's a shallow shortcut to create an 'art' game imo.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Guitar Man

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Palpek posted:

What about when a game studio creates a game that becomes art vs an artist who creates art and only uses gaming as a means of expression for its novelty in the art world. The latter is often the case with games considered to be artistic and that's a shallow shortcut to create an 'art' game imo.

A poor argument considering the history of novelty in art historically for example duchamp and the rest of the dada movement in fact it can be argued that using new mediums or forms for novelty is what drives the changes in art historically further to this it seems obvious to anyone who is objective and empirical that in fact all games are art of some type just as films are and books and movies and in fact the anti-intellectual new wave atheist groupthink denigrating the attempts of those who wish to push the medium into areas it is not historically or traditionally or stereotypically or functionally functional within further to this we can also argue however that no games that exist have ever been art in fact and that games are a trash medium on the level of the naive attempts of the racist fascist new age twitter obsessed intellectual right wing to attack and upset the honest american god fearing art forms pushed forward and furthered by those with the right thinking and well wished attempts at living in their own way living fresh and living happy by eating at subway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

C'nest pas une pipe, Mario Maker edition.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Metal Gear Solid is like totally art

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty okay with this thread.

:rowdytrout: