Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This is a really superb multiplayer RTS and I wish I could find more people on automatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

This is a really superb multiplayer RTS and I wish I could find more people on automatch.

Yeah, I can't help but feel like the region filtering problems coupled with Gearbox's criminal lack of marketing has severely hampered this game's multiplayer community.

I'm not much into 1v1 and I've never gotten an automatched team game, so it's the server browser or bust for me.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
No one is more frustrated by the lack of MP players than us, just know we haven't stopped working on it. The community that is playing the game is awesome, there is a fan-base, albeit small that we want to support, and there are a significant number of people working at BBI & Gearbox dedicated to that effort.

The primary problem is the number of players. Certainly some of the missing features are a major factor, and we are working on getting those out as soon as we can, but the audience size will be a limiting factor for automatch even if replays were in and the region filtering problems were not a factor. Given the feedback on price-point, we expect the first major discount on DoK to give us a lot of new heads in game, and since we have a significant number of people who wish-listed it, we expect the number to move up by a lot. We should also have more features and content available by then as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, that's a bummer to read. Wishing you guys all the best though.

I kinda think Steam sales, while great for folks like me, have really devalued games, and that it's the mid-sized developers who get the short end of the stick. Like, indie studios are small, sometimes one man teams that can get by on a few thousand sales, and of course some become breakout hits buoyed in part by their low price points. And AAA games can make it through brand recognition and millions of dollars poured into market research.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can't make a near-full-price PvP multiplayer game, especially in a genre where multiplayer has never been a primary draw and expect enough players to have it survive based on it's PvP multiplayer.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mordja posted:

Man, that's a bummer to read. Wishing you guys all the best though.

I kinda think Steam sales, while great for folks like me, have really devalued games, and that it's the mid-sized developers who get the short end of the stick. Like, indie studios are small, sometimes one man teams that can get by on a few thousand sales, and of course some become breakout hits buoyed in part by their low price points. And AAA games can make it through brand recognition and millions of dollars poured into market research.

The pricing on Steam has been deflating, for sure, but the bigger issue I see is noise from the larger number of titles that come out on Steam now compared to 4 years ago.

On balance I'm happy about that change, since the wave of new titles from the indie market is ultimately a good thing for gamers.

I also love that I haven't had to read a "Is PC gaming dying" op-ed article in years.

Back to DoK though, we have good things cooking. I look forward to the coming weeks :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EgonSpengler posted:

The pricing on Steam has been deflating, for sure, but the bigger issue I see is noise from the larger number of titles that come out on Steam now compared to 4 years ago.

On balance I'm happy about that change, since the wave of new titles from the indie market is ultimately a good thing for gamers.

I also love that I haven't had to read a "Is PC gaming dying" op-ed article in years.

Back to DoK though, we have good things cooking. I look forward to the coming weeks :)

Are there any plans for additional single player content?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EgonSpengler posted:

No one is more frustrated by the lack of MP players than us, just know we haven't stopped working on it. The community that is playing the game is awesome, there is a fan-base, albeit small that we want to support, and there are a significant number of people working at BBI & Gearbox dedicated to that effort.

The primary problem is the number of players. Certainly some of the missing features are a major factor, and we are working on getting those out as soon as we can, but the audience size will be a limiting factor for automatch even if replays were in and the region filtering problems were not a factor. Given the feedback on price-point, we expect the first major discount on DoK to give us a lot of new heads in game, and since we have a significant number of people who wish-listed it, we expect the number to move up by a lot. We should also have more features and content available by then as well.

Yes! I think on your first big steam sale you'll see more people (like myself) buy the game but I do think a replay feature is really, really important.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EgonSpengler posted:

You're putting in formations, right? :v:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

EgonSpengler posted:

Im glad you guys are working on the game. i really loved it.

Also, are you guys aware that Beghins from the Complex Mod for Homeworld Remastered has put Complex under a Patreon with the stipulation that if the monthly minimums ($1,000) arent met that he will not released the mod at all? Its a fully payment-required modification at this point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

grimcreaper posted:

Also, are you guys aware that Beghins from the Complex Mod for Homeworld Remastered has put Complex under a Patreon with the stipulation that if the monthly minimums ($1,000) arent met that he will not released the mod at all? Its a fully payment-required modification at this point.

That's amazing.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't have much to say about HW: Remastered, since we don't run that project at Blackbird. We did help out with some of the content production, but that is 100% managed through Gearbox.

Our primary focus here is DoK. We did post a roadmap for our support plans on our own forums here: http://forums.blackbirdinteractive.com/forum/news-and-updates/3516-short-term-support-roadmap

That was a while ago, and we've delayed the map planned for in 1.1, but it's mostly accurate otherwise.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
New faction is Kiith Soban. Autocorrect made that Keith Soban and I sorta wanted to keep that.

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791440712528/announcements/detail/638755483471917891

The pdf has some nice, Battlestar Galactica style, clipped edges..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Allen_Aldo posted:

New faction is Kiith Soban. Autocorrect made that Keith Soban and I sorta wanted to keep that.

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791440712528/announcements/detail/638755483471917891

The pdf has some nice, Battlestar Galactica style, clipped edges..

XCOM has eaten most of my time but I'd love to play as the Soban. I didn't get to do enough multiplayer.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oh hell yeah, Soban looks awesome. There's also a hint about the next faction to be dropped in that little lore pamphlet. Looks like we're gonna be seeing the Khaaneph after all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's also a hint about the next faction to be dropped in that little lore pamphlet. Looks like we're gonna be seeing the Khaaneph after all.

Welp, people wanted their Mad Max faction after all.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I was pretty interested in this but the reviews on steam are indicating you run out of single player content after about 8 hours. I feel like the original homeworlds had a lot more but its been a long time since I played them. So its seems a little pricey, especially if the DLC isn't free.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So will the general Coalition fleet be renamed to S'jet, now that Soban has its own discrete set of vehicles?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

So will the general Coalition fleet be renamed to S'jet, now that Soban has its own discrete set of vehicles?

The page says they only have a new railgun, carrier, baserunner and battlecruiser and all the other units are just reskins. Which is a bit lacking, considering that means they're basically the same faction as the other two with maybe a 4-5 different abilities to cast. The same LAC, the same Assault tank, etc.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here's some screenshots if you don't feel like rummaging through Steam

Nifty.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Patch 1.1 is live! AI is much less broken and replays much less missing, among other things.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

gently caress the ROW posted:

I was pretty interested in this but the reviews on steam are indicating you run out of single player content after about 8 hours. I feel like the original homeworlds had a lot more but its been a long time since I played them. So its seems a little pricey, especially if the DLC isn't free.

I keep looking for a price and still haven't seen one. Maybe it's free?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Okay, unsolicited recommendation: I'm halfway through the fifth and final book of Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin. It's about nihilism and economics, domestication, war, and slavery. It is really, really good, and I'm calling it now, the ending's going to be amazing, because he always writes very good endings and this is his best series yet.

He's also 1/2 of the author of The Expanse, which, if you're into Sci-Fi, is a loving excellent look at a weirdly underexplored part of future history: exactly what happens when we get our hands on FTL. The show is good for a show, but it's not in the same league as the book.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Okay, unsolicited recommendation: I'm halfway through the fifth and final book of Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin. It's about nihilism and economics, domestication, war, and slavery. It is really, really good, and I'm calling it now, the ending's going to be amazing, because he always writes very good endings and this is his best series yet.

He's also 1/2 of the author of The Expanse, which, if you're into Sci-Fi, is a loving excellent look at a weirdly underexplored part of future history: exactly what happens when we get our hands on FTL. The show is good for a show, but it's not in the same league as the book.

I'd like to recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons. The first book is incredible. the rest are great as well but not quite as good as the first.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

The original Homeworld has a single campaign of 15?? levels. It was longer than this, but don't think it was much longer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Soban pack is a lot pricier than I expected

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, anyone buy/play as the Soban yet? Any good?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Turin Turambar posted:

The original Homeworld has a single campaign of 15?? levels. It was longer than this, but don't think it was much longer.

Certainly feels longer because of the deliberate pacing of the Homeworld missions. They're not intense in your face combat all the time.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Apparently the Khaaneph (the mad max guys) drop later today or something? I didn't see a lot of fanfare leading up to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, four new maps too.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Khaaneph is out now! http://store.steampowered.com/app/433242/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Darn, they're even more of a retexture.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
This game got no pr and is already kind of dead. Rip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jawa Sandcrawler faction?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Crash74 posted:

This game got no pr and is already kind of dead. Rip.

Well that Gearbox's fault as advertising and marketing was their responsibility, and surprise surprise they dropped the ball on that one

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Back Hack posted:

Well that Gearbox's fault as advertising and marketing was their responsibility, and surprise surprise they dropped the ball on that one

I think they really expected huge word of mouth and coverage from people who loved Homeworld.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

grimcreaper posted:

I think they really expected huge word of mouth and coverage from people who loved Homeworld.

Which it got from people around me, but it also came out two weeks before XCom2 which had a lot of hype and advertising even for a PC only game.

Shame cause its a great game. Maybe the inevitable Steam Summer sale will help it along.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Darn, they're even more of a retexture.

Yeah it's really telling that all they can manage is new art with 4 new abilities thrown in. The races already are way too similar and the "new factions" are essentially the same as the one they're based on. Really shows that the devs have nothing but artists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Really shows that the devs have nothing but artists.

I would have said a small budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

The last time not-Relic created a new faction we ended up with the British and gently caress that again.

• Locked thread