Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Multiplayer is really fun and I'm extremely lovely at it. I've never played a rts like this! Only Homeworld. My brother's saying it reminds him more of Starcraft.

e: lol it counts your ai skirmish fights against you so I have a 50% win ratio. :v:

e: I love the aircraft stuff. Sort of reminds me of Defcon!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just tried my hand at multiplayer. I don't want to talk about it. :suicide:

I'll say this much though; Carriers get scary.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So it turns out you can change facing

quote:

You can actually control the facing of things, but you have to click the attack or move button, then hold the left mouse button down. Very backwards and annoying, but it's doable atleast.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way for my groups to move at the same speed? My LAVs are determined to ride into Valhalla while my railguns are kind of meandering along and usually get to the battle late. :v:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Interested in what the old CoH crew has to say about the multiplayer. If it's good I'll immediately buy the game. Need to make sure though, because I have 0 interested in ever touching the single player.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kimsemus posted:

Is there a way for my groups to move at the same speed? My LAVs are determined to ride into Valhalla while my railguns are kind of meandering along and usually get to the battle late. :v:
Can you really blame them though? Have you seen the sick rear end jumps your LAVs make while hauling rear end?

But yeah I ended up splitting the LAVs into their own separate exclusive group so they'd stop charging in first and all dying.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Screwed by mission triggers, well that was lame. On mission 6 I ended up clearing the first part of the mission with my entire force, including the Kapisi and resourcers, at the north part of the map. Queue the second part with the entirety of the Gaalsian carrier group spawning into me.

Having fun though. Missions can get tense as hell, though a few AI and script bugs have made certain missions a bit easier.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Superstring posted:

Screwed by mission triggers, well that was lame. On mission 6 I ended up clearing the first part of the mission with my entire force, including the Kapisi and resourcers, at the north part of the map. Queue the second part with the entirety of the Gaalsian carrier group spawning into me.

Having fun though. Missions can get tense as hell, though a few AI and script bugs have made certain missions a bit easier.

Arrrgh, we fixed so many issues with QA testers who found ways to troll that setup, it's annoying to miss one.

We are super glad people are having fun with the game, that's why we built it. You can also bet we are reading every word that is complaining about something, because if there is one group that cares about that, it's everyone here at BBI, and Gearbox as well.

Patch and update work is underway, and while we don't want to say exactly when yet, we've heard the issues that are bothering people and will fix as many as we can as fast as we can.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

EgonSpengler posted:

Arrrgh, we fixed so many issues with QA testers who found ways to troll that setup, it's annoying to miss one.

We are super glad people are having fun with the game, that's why we built it. You can also bet we are reading every word that is complaining about something, because if there is one group that cares about that, it's everyone here at BBI, and Gearbox as well.

Patch and update work is underway, and while we don't want to say exactly when yet, we've heard the issues that are bothering people and will fix as many as we can as fast as we can.

The same issue he mentioned happened to me as well, but it was actually kind of hilarious and unexpected and ended in a really fun fight.

DoK is a phenomal game on its own, I was really skeptical about taking Homeworld down to the planet surface but in a way, combat seems more fun, more fluid, and better paced.

Earlier in Mission 6 I actually glitched the map by mind controlling a unit with Rachel from the patrol group, which never triggered the later spawn, allowing me to mop up all the resources on the map before just blowing up the mind controlled unit with detonators and proceeding.

My poor suicidal LAVs though, I just control them manually now, RIP strike groups I guess. :O

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I've been having MP fun with running massed Gaalsien sandskimmers and assault ships/whatever, the few players I've met so far couldn't deal with them zipping around doing hit and-run tactics. Playing against humans is much more fun than the turbo-cheating Hard AI.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know if it's a good game yet, but I will say that it's like someone threw Fury Road and all my favorite Homeworld sounds in a blender and I am entirely okay with this.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Orv posted:

I don't know if it's a good game yet, but I will say that it's like someone threw Fury Road and all my favorite Homeworld sounds in a blender and I am entirely okay with this.

Holy poo poo.

Did I hear "Mad Max Mod"?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's a seriously short game though. I'm not saying I didn't like it but it kind of stings because it could have been so much more. I actually set aside the entire weekend to take my time and finish it and it barely took me 7 hours, for a full price game that's kind of hard to swallow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone figure out any decent moves in multiplayer? I'm thinking start building a few salvagers, get lavs up, get a support cruiser, but not really sure how to go from there.

Also only five maps sucks.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm having a real good time with it so far. I know I've asked this before, but is there an autobuild button for units on my carrier?

In MP I was floating crazy bad, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing. But I would have rather'd been building some unit at all times if I could just flip that switch.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having a real good time with it so far. I know I've asked this before, but is there an autobuild button for units on my carrier?

In MP I was floating crazy bad, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing. But I would have rather'd been building some unit at all times if I could just flip that switch.

The dev that's been posting in these threads said they did not implement that intentionally, because they thought it would confuse noobs who queue up 5000 tanks and then wonder why nothing gets built.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
drat that's a shame. That's like my favorite quality of life feature all RTS's are completely divided on implementing for whatever reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sending a tactical bomber to blow up all of your enemy's salvagers is hilarious by the way.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Is there a way to abort air attacks? I've lost both my bombers in single-player to "sudden surprise missile battery lol" moments and haven't found a way to pull aircraft back if they're heading into trouble. I'm on mission 8 so I can't build replacements yet either.

I am enjoying the hell out of the crazy LAV squadrons. Their ability to climb hills is wonderful - as soon as my AAV line engages, I bring them in behind the enemy and slaughter their heavy units in a glorious circling swirl of death.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Loxbourne posted:

Is there a way to abort air attacks? I've lost both my bombers in single-player to "sudden surprise missile battery lol" moments and haven't found a way to pull aircraft back if they're heading into trouble. I'm on mission 8 so I can't build replacements yet either.

I am enjoying the hell out of the crazy LAV squadrons. Their ability to climb hills is wonderful - as soon as my AAV line engages, I bring them in behind the enemy and slaughter their heavy units in a glorious circling swirl of death.

You can select air units and move them around/give attack orders like ordinary units.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Loxbourne posted:

I know Z will withdraw fighters but I don't know if that will work with bombers too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
As an Australian, I found out (through discord chat) that to find any games you have to set your Steam download regions to a US or EU place and restart steam. Once I did that some games started popping up on the public game list. Sadly, as I joined a lobby with another Aussie he said you need really decent upload to play. We started a 2v2 match and three seconds after we loaded the map, everyone (except me) blew up and the game ended. Apparently disconnecting me from the other three (or one of the others from us, idk) and kicking us to the end game screen.

So if you have ADSL2 or cable in Australia, according to this other player, you might not be able to play multi, considering our upload speeds from almost every ISP are poo poo in this country unless you're on fiber. He said his friends on cable with ~2mbs of upload were crashing out this afternoon too. Which is really sad if true.

I hope this isn't the case though, because I'm loving SP at the moment, but if that's all I can play it'll be $50 (~$69AUD) mostly wasted.

Edit: I've got 6/1mbps on average, so if upload is the issue I guess i'm stuck with compstomp, or maybe finding only aussie players.

Edit: Managed a 1v1, although I generally hate 1v1 in multiplayer rts, so at least that worked, although I did get the little red connection icon flashing in the top left quite a bit.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 21, 2016

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Thanks for an awesome game, Egon. If you have the chance, pass it to the other guys. It's great to be back with those crazy Kushan and their wacky antics.

Speaking of, reading through the expedition guide, I had a laugh at them calling signals from the interstellar empires all around them "magnetic inversion" and handwaving them as weird natural phenomena. Oh you have no god drat idea what a world of poo poo your grandkids are headed into, buddy!

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
This really is the true spiritual sequel to the original Homeworld. Homeworld is one of my favorite games and I don't even like RTS. I loved Homeworld because of the story. I also loved Cataclysm because of the unit design and the story was good if a bit derivative. Watching the cool Bentusi panic and turn on you really drives home a feeling of the world falling apart around you. Homeworld 2 felt sterile in comparison.

The developers have really knocked it out of the park. The best part of Homeworld for me has always been the story and art design and WOW does this game not disappoint. You can really tell the creators are passionate about their original game because this game feels like what a devoted fan might attempt to make. A few months ago I wasn't even that interested in this game because it was still inherently an RTS. Then I saw the release trailers and saw how much it nailed the atmosphere and I instantly preordered yesterday.

It is stunning how perfectly this game fits into the Homeworld style. The moving vehicle that approaches the Khar Toba in Homeworld looks EXACTLY like you would find in Deserts of Kharak. The blue sensor bubbles, the sounds, the voice acting, the Kiith symbols ahhhhhhhhhh it is all so great.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

EgonSpengler posted:

Are you supposed to be able to repair the tornadoes? :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'd like to say that I just discovered the Expedition Guide and it's really neat!

edit: VVV I thought the campaign was better than the HW2 one.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2016

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

how is the single player campaign. i am the kind of degenerate who likes stories in rts campaigns. i mean like decent ones, not like how starcraft ii became dragonball

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Anyone playing multiplayer in this? It's pretty fun and most of the pubbies have no idea how to play and end up getting rushed by battlecruisers before they build any units to fight back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TwatHammer posted:

Anyone playing multiplayer in this? It's pretty fun and most of the pubbies have no idea how to play and end up getting rushed by battlecruisers before they build any units to fight back.

I've only done a couple ai skirmishes with a friend but would love to do more. I really need to figure out the tech tree and a good build order. What are you doing?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ugh so that 20% off for buying homeworld remastered doesn't count after release? kinda lame I wanted to wait and make sure the game didn't suck. I guess i'll wait for a sale and hope the mp community isn't dead :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hemale in pain posted:

Ugh so that 20% off for buying homeworld remastered doesn't count after release? kinda lame I wanted to wait and make sure the game didn't suck. I guess i'll wait for a sale and hope the mp community isn't dead :(

It was a pre-order bonus, sorry.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It was a pre-order bonus, sorry.

:( I'm dumb and didn't read up on it!

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I've only done a couple ai skirmishes with a friend but would love to do more. I really need to figure out the tech tree and a good build order. What are you doing?

Im still playing around with it so far, I've seen people rush nothing but air units right off the bat and do reasonably well, Then it just turns into a match of who can poo poo out the most AA. I tend to not bother building LAV's and go right for the Assault tanks and push with those since nine times out of ten they will all have LAV's and struggle to deal with them.

E: I'll be chilling in the cts homeworld channel if anyone's game for some mp action.

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 21, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm downloading a big 1.2GB patch, what's up with that?
I already had the Expedition Guide, so that's not that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So, I just got this - is there no way to rebind controls? The controls menu doesnt seem to let me change anything, unless I'm missing something obvious.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

Mango Polo posted:

I'm downloading a big 1.2GB patch, what's up with that?
I already had the Expedition Guide, so that's not that.

if you preordered the game while it was known as "hardware", then you get the deserts of kharak soundtrack free of charge. it's in .mp3 and .flac, plus there's a lot of files. that explains why it's kinda hefty in size.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

newmans_owned posted:

if you preordered the game while it was known as "hardware", then you get the deserts of kharak soundtrack free of charge. it's in .mp3 and .flac, plus there's a lot of files. that explains why it's kinda hefty in size.

Correct! It was the soundtrack. I bought it from a different computer and forgot about it.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Rachel S'jet sounds like Jennifer Lawrence :v:

Edit: beat the campaign a few minutes ago. Difficulty drops off once you get long range cruisers, effectively locking down and wiping out everything before it gets to you.

The story was engaging and every mission made sense - as in I could see each scenario plausibly taking place on a hazardous convoy across the desert.

I'm actually happy with the length of the single player. Too many games feel some obligation to have 50+ hours of gameplay with the unintended side effect of watering down the overall experience. Not to mention there are too many good games these days.

I really hope we get some QoS love from BBI so people stick around because I can see myself playing multiplayer for a while. Also mod support :getin:

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 21, 2016

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Having thought about it for a while, I'm not so bothered by the seemingly prosaic naming of the main characters in this game considering all the other exotic names (not that I cared too much about it -- game's good, either way).

Rachel, Jacob, Nathan - these are Hebrew names. They seem ordinary and everyday right now, but they've been around for thousands of years. Kushan naming conventions seem loosely to be themed on Hebrew - good ol' captain Elohim in HW2 being the most flamboyant example of this. I think it's kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I probably would have bought this now that I've heard good things about its atmosphere. But gently caress them for making the background manual dlc, and 10% off would have sweetened the deal.

• Locked thread