Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aexo posted:

That's not her Penny though... Right?

It isn't but we can just assume that since they diverged from the same point in time that they have the same effect on their mother, genetics and magic and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aexo posted:

That's not her Penny though... Right?

No but the histories are the same up until he went to Brakebills.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really feels like they have way too many things to wrap up in one episode.

This stinks.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Rhyno posted:

It really feels like they have way too many things to wrap up in one episode.
This stinks.

They've really set themselves up to crib heavily from the Magician's Land.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've done a good job of this being a final season. All the cameos these last few episodes (Hymen, Marina, Hades, etc.) and a return of a lot of jokes that I get the sense were very popular in the writer's room this most recent episode ("Act out!"). It's going out on a much more cheerful note than I ever thought the show would.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
See, I feel like they squandered a lot of this season going in too many directions to wrap everything up neatly. Knowing what happens in the book, and knowing that they are liberally taking some of the major plot points from the final book, it seems like they're going to have to cram a whole lot in.

I love the show, it's one of my favorites, and I still recommend it to everyone, but knowing this is the end, I think that the show definitely peaked in season 3, and while still entertaining, the show just hasn't reached the same heights since.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Episode good (Ho Ho Ho motherfuckers!) but I feel like this was the weakest of the musical episodes. The others had a lot more emotional poo poo going on that was expressed by the music whereas this one had music + emotional poo poo. Elliot and Alice were awesome, followed closely by everything Marina & Zelda with the one just grimacing through everything while the other loved every loving minute of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sexy Librarian Zelda really has been great this year. I can barely believe she was the awkward neighbor from the Raimi Spider-man films.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Sexy Librarian Zelda really has been great this year. I can barely believe she was the awkward neighbor from the Raimi Spider-man films.

She is just so adorable and twee but also extremely scary competent. It's a wonderful mix.

Also props to Fen this episode, she is underrated by everyone and still saved the seed in a very ingenious way.

It's a shame I didn't recognize any of the songs this ep but it was fun nonetheless. Weaponized emotional baggage was a great line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sloth Life posted:

She is just so adorable and twee but also extremely scary competent. It's a wonderful mix.

Also props to Fen this episode, she is underrated by everyone and still saved the seed in a very ingenious way.

It's a shame I didn't recognize any of the songs this ep but it was fun nonetheless. Weaponized emotional baggage was a great line.

You didn't recognize "Don't Give Up" or "I Wanna Be Sedated"?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

You didn't recognize "Don't Give Up" or "I Wanna Be Sedated"?

Nope, not at all. My musical taste is stuck in the 80s I guess.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
"Don't Give Up" is from the 80s though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I recognized "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Cruel to be Kind" but I've never heard "Don't Give Up" or even heard of it at all.

Echoing the sentiment that this was the weakest of the musical episodes, though Zelda and Marina were awesome throughout. I also have no idea how they're going to wrap everything up in one episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EmptyVessel posted:

"Don't Give Up" is from the 80s though.

And SEDATED is from the late 70's and like, really popular.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I had literally never heard any of the songs in the episode, still enjoyed it but had no idea how close they were to the originals.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

And SEDATED is from the late 70's and like, really popular.

Even though the album it first appeared on was released in '78 "I Wanna Be Sedated" was actually released as a single in the US in 1980 so technically..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Y'all need some fuckin culture

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Yeah, I also didn't know most of the music. I knew Sedated, and I think at some point I had heard Cruel to be Kind, but it must have been once decades ago. I had never heard of the others, by name or tune.

The singing in the episode was great, but the song choices felt odd. Agreed that it was one of the weaker musicals.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rewatching while self-isolating and Penny freaking out on the guy scamming tips at Chatwin's Torrent is amazing.

"Sorry, try it on the next sap who needs this NATURAL RESOURCE ON PUBLIC PROPERTY. Good luck."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don’t recognize “Don’t Give Up” even listening to the original and I thought I had pretty good 80s song knowledge. Thought maybe they had written an original song.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Imo this episode was like watching a worse version of Glee where they didn't even cast singers

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Not just me then, I'm so pleased. Tbh Take on Me and Under Pressure are incredibly well known and popular, but I can't think of anything similar with the emotional core they needed for the show this time around. Anyone else got ideas?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The episode summary says "We couldn't get Prince," but I don't know what song(s) from his catalog they were aiming for

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anne Whateley posted:

The episode summary says "We couldn't get Prince," but I don't know what song(s) from his catalog they were aiming for

P Control, obviously.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah it wasn't a great musical episode, but the story was good. Fourthing the "I don't know how they are going to finish everything in one episode" feeling. Though to be fair, they really just confirmed there isn't a cliffhanger, not that there is a strong ending for everyone. I doubt I will see Katy reunited with her Penny, which sucks. Right now this season is kind of weak overall, and it needs a strong finish to the narrative of them dealing with Q's death.

And Summer has been killing it, hopefully she gets some good work after this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wow, really?

I thought this season's been fantastic, and much much better than the way last year ended up by this point. I laughed and was moved, plus all the callbacks were nice. Good time.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Glad I wasn't alone in thinking it was weak musically but strong everything-else. I honestly thought the usual auto-tuning necessary for the non-singers in the crew would bother me like it did in the first musical episode but instead it was actually purely the fact that the dubbing was really, incredibly poor.

Zelda is loving perfect and her reaction to Elliot talking about the 8th grade is perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/L9sdLoc.gifv

Also I'm in love with Marina. I wish this show could last forever but I'm glad we got as many seasons as we did. Plus, let's face it, this pandemic poo poo probably would've canned the show anyway.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

At this point I just want a spinoff about Zelda's early life. Give me the sexy pre-librarian making bad decisions and burning all the bridges.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ok so it wasn't a cliffhanger, but I still want to see my friends get all back together again :mad:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I have to say, that was a shockingly well-done and effective series finale, even if it wasn't originally intended as such. I'll go so far as to say I'm kind of glad the show isn't coming back, because this was a pretty perfect ending.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I thought last season's ending was the series finale. It could have been and I would've been alright with it.

This season's finale? Definitely better as a series finale. I shed a tear when Margo pushed the button. I'll miss you, Magicians; you were a drat loving good show. If we could never get the Wynn Duffy spin-off for Justified, maybe we'll get some kind of spin-off for this with, at least, the same writers.

SO! Now that it's over, I have one question that has been stuck in my head since season... 3? Old Alice. Who the gently caress was that. Why the gently caress was she there. What the gently caress happened?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

DaveKap posted:

I thought last season's ending was the series finale. It could have been and I would've been alright with it.

This season's finale? Definitely better as a series finale. I shed a tear when Margo pushed the button. I'll miss you, Magicians; you were a drat loving good show. If we could never get the Wynn Duffy spin-off for Justified, maybe we'll get some kind of spin-off for this with, at least, the same writers.

SO! Now that it's over, I have one question that has been stuck in my head since season... 3? Old Alice. Who the gently caress was that. Why the gently caress was she there. What the gently caress happened?

I'm like 99% sure "Old Alice" is literally the mythological Greek figure Cassandra, that they didn't really wanna cast someone "unique" for the role so they just had Olivia Dudley pull double duty and play Cassandra, and then had Penny make meta jokes. I dont think she has any connection to Alice besides sharing an actress.

edit: I mean they do call her literally Cassandra in the show multiple times, i think they just wanted to do a meta gag about it since it's kinda obvious they share an actor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's like how in Legends of Tomorrow one of the regulars also played Marie Antoinette and only one other character noticed that they looked alike

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

O! Now that it's over, I have one question that has been stuck in my head since season... 3? Old Alice. Who the gently caress was that. Why the gently caress was she there. What the gently caress happened?

I think it was just a dropped plot point that they threw a bone to in the series finale last night. The producers have been very open about admitting they didn't have an overall plan. They'd wrap up a season, and throw a wrench in it to see how they could get out of that predicament the next season.

Anyway, it was a more effective series finale than I expected. I went in thinking I was fine with the show being over, but with that ending, I'm down for more! Even if we have to wait a couple of years.

Also, while I'm glad Eliot got someone in the end, I feel like it was kind of forced in there. It kind of came out of nowhere for me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

Also, while I'm glad Eliot got someone in the end, I feel like it was kind of forced in there. It kind of came out of nowhere for me.

In the moment it felt kind of odd to me too, but looking back i think it's fine. Trying things out with a "transmuted ghost in another person's body" is very much with Elliot's growth of finding love wherever you can. Especially since it wasn't treated as serious TRUE LOVE.

I also really love that the cat absorbing all of Fogg's craziness seemed to have no influence on it.

I would have liked to see underworld Q or Penny again, especially Penny since Katy has been in the background for a while now. But it would have been hard to do that without knowing it was the finale and making it a major plot point.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eltoasto posted:

I would have liked to see underworld Q or Penny again, especially Penny since Katy has been in the background for a while now. But it would have been hard to do that without knowing it was the finale and making it a major plot point.

Quentin has moved beyond the underworld. He can't be reached. At least not in any in universe way explained to us yet.

I think underworld Penny could have been possible if he had greeted Zelda as she moved down there, but I think that it would have taken away from the flow of the overall plot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was pretty sweet but I still want more.

Can I get a gif of Fen and her knife-sharpener?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they definitely had an inkling that this was going to be the final season I have to imagine things would have gone a little differently if they actually knew beforehand.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

After sleeping on it, I do have some issues with the final episode.

Nihonniboku posted:

This isn't one of them, however, because I kinda got the sense the way Charles was acting toward Elliot that this might be where things lead. I was quite happy with it. Even Hymen walking away then rushing up the stairs at the end made me go "awww.." before laughing hysterically.

I don't know how much of this episode got produced before or after they knew the show was ending. Between the weird way the "we couldn't buy more extras" undead horde entered the scene, the way The Beast just happened to enter The Library exactly where the gang were, and the fact The Beast died to... a pillar falling on him, I get the feeling they knew as they made it but were given too strict of a budget of both time and money.

I read someone suggesting the series was originally supposed to end at the point where the gang summoning the new world disappeared, as a cliffhanger, with the rest of the episode (8 minutes apparently) being tacked on once they realized they were cancelled. I take issue with this idea because after how well the last season ended, I wouldn't expect this series to stoop to cliffhanger endings anymore.

All that said, I still think it was a decent series finale. Especially if you compare it to some series finales that had been planned from the start. Legion, Mr. Robot, and GoT finales were big let downs for me. At least I feel some closure with this one and at least it seems like everyone's getting some well earned chill time.

Imagine a Dean Fogg spin-off that just cycles through a different year of class every season. I could probably come up with a few more good ones but I don't think I can bear the pain knowing that it's all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I also really love that the cat absorbing all of Fogg's craziness seemed to have no influence on it.

I thought it was a pretty funny callback to cancer kitty from the first season. That cat's fine now, but give it a few weeks and it'll turn inside out too.