Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I'm going to miss this show a whole lot, but that was a really effective finale. The look of...I dunno, was that glee? It's not a face Margot made much. Anyway, that look on Margot's face as she pushed the button was a great final image to give us.

also I think new-fillory should be called FEN!-land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah I don't think you could have given the show a better last shot.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the entire series with my kid, in the last month, or so.

We decided Elliot's actual magical focus was, "Making Every Male He Meets Gay."

Not a criticism, an observation.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Yeah i also loved the finale, and i went back after to watch some end of season 1 / start of season 2 stuff, and drat did the finale have great callbacks. Josh's first line in the whole drat series was "come with me if you want to live."

Also, i know the mystery of Eliot's two books wasn't explained explicitly, but thinking about it, maybe it kinda makes sense that he had two books because he was "living two lives" while he was going back and forth between his fleshbody and his golem-body when he couldn't leave Fillory. Just a theory i had.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lupus Rufus posted:

Also, i know the mystery of Eliot's two books wasn't explained explicitly, but thinking about it, maybe it kinda makes sense that he had two books because he was "living two lives" while he was going back and forth between his fleshbody and his golem-body when he couldn't leave Fillory. Just a theory i had.

I prefer the idea that one is for this timeline, the other is for the one where he lived with the love of his life Quentin.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Nihonniboku posted:

I prefer the idea that one is for this timeline, the other is for the one where he lived with the love of his life Quentin.

But then why didn't Q have two books? :v tbf i actually think they just never got around to explaining/resolving this particular plot point.

The OTHER explanation i kinda thought of while rewatching season 2? Modulo that throne curse near the beginning of the season (where everyone quickly pulp-fictioned back to life), Eliot is the only one of the cast to have actually Died for real in a not-alternate-timeline-way, when he got killed during the bank heist episode and his soul was in limbo between the clay body and his fleshbody.

Everything about my theory comes back round to the golem eventually.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think there's at least one dropped plot point every season tbh. Eliot's second book, Quentin's blood, the Alice doppleganger, the other travellers who fell into the mirror dimension, the faery pact and the McCallisters, Fenn's alliance with the Lorian queen...

It was always the kind of show that just did whatever, for good and bad.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Speaking of Loria, did they get to ride on the seahorse ark, or are they considered not a part of Fillory and thus, exploded?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

Speaking of Loria, did they get to ride on the seahorse ark, or are they considered not a part of Fillory and thus, exploded?

Fillory is the name of both the world (which includes Loria) and the country.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The burning question is does NuFillory have a Cock Barrens? Inquiring minds demand to know.

And my god who will map it? Who?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bussamove posted:

The burning question is does NuFillory have a Cock Barrens? Inquiring minds demand to know.

Without Elliot as part of the creation process, possibly not.

With Margo part of the creation process, probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Grossman is writing a comic series that takes place in the book continuity. Did anyone read the Alice graphic novel?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

So Grossman is writing a comic series that takes place in the book continuity. Did anyone read the Alice graphic novel?

I did. It wasn't very good. It told the exact plot of the first book, but from Alice's perspective, without giving any further insight or information. And it read very quickly. I was pretty disappointed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Alhazred posted:

Fillory is the name of both the world (which includes Loria) and the country.

I assume it's kind of how North America has a country that calls itself America. Like it's probably "the Kingdom of Fillory" and every other country thinks it's some pretentious bullshit.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Welp, maybe the Fillorian census was contunent-wide.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I did. It wasn't very good. It told the exact plot of the first book, but from Alice's perspective, without giving any further insight or information. And it read very quickly. I was pretty disappointed.

There's also currently an ongoing sequel limited series five or six issues in written by Lilah Sturges that takes place after the books, starring a new class of students after Brakebills accepts a group of hedgewitches. I haven't read the books but since this stars an almost entirely new group of characters, the only major differences seem to be that Dean Fogg is big and white, and magic isn't gently caress-y (no budget issues to worry about in comics!) I'm enjoying it so far.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wish they would just now get approved for another season where everything is on the new planet and super low-stakes. Margo has to learn city planning. Josh is trying to figure out plant breeding to get the pizza trees to produce grandma pies. Fen has to decide between toddler-proofing the knife bushes vs. just teaching two-year-olds to use daggers responsibly. Penny deals with wrangling a warping toddler.

Spinoff: on earth, Kady teams up with Plum to get Plum's powers back, in hopes of rescuing Original Penny. But it'll mean trusting Marina again...

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 7, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A sitcom starring Marina and Anna.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I just want more Zelda. I was very sad to see her go, though I was surprised how... gentle it was from the Beast. Gesture of respect, perhaps.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Oof, didn't realise this was the series finale. :smith: I really came to like the show and am sad I won't get to see these guys on more Fillorian adventures.

AzureFlame posted:

the only major differences seem to be that Dean Fogg is big and white

It has been a long time since I read the books but IIRC he was originally described as a heavyset, bald(ing?) white guy - when I was reading the books I mentally cast him as one of my professors from my first year of uni who matched the description (and who used to teach at an Ivy).

Serpente
Dec 3, 2017

Serpente posted:

lol at thinking Margo wants a serious relationship with Josh. she just hosed him to save him, not be his girlfriend.

what a dunb rear end.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Yeah that didn't age well, did it? :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just a reminder that Margo rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnsY4SJJMF8

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This show was the right kind of dumb for me to binge when I needed a break from videos of horrific police brutality.

Started as a mess and got good with some real highlights. I think Season 4 and 5 were a drop in quality though, they had so many dropped plot threads and bullshit out of nowhere that it got hard to stay invested in anything but the characters.

Penny-23 was bland as hell, never bought him and Julia's relationship. I think Julia had more chemistry with just about every other character, including Quentin, Kady, Marina, The Beast and random extras. Also, I was disappointed that they separated out the characters so much, would have liked some more Margo interacting with Quentin/Alice/Julia or Penny/Julia with Eliot.

Here's a video to make up for necroing this thread (sound):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URcWEeFvcw

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
No I agree. I think the show definitely peaked with season 3. Season 4 and 5 were still definitely good, just not as good as it was.

I'm still angry with how they handled the Quentin and Eliot storyline.

And I hope thst they end up doing season 6, given that they ended the series in the way that they did.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Season 3 had A Life in the Day which is miles away the best episode of the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 3 has the full cast rendition of Under Pressure so yeah, best season.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Whichever season has most Zelda. I found her more interesting than some of the main cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I just finished s5 of this after a friend told me s5 existed, between netflix not carrying it and the emotional quentin death and funeral in s4 I totally thought s4 was a series finale.

S5 I enjoyed especially the whales and the release the kraken episode.

Eliot and Margot both shine as the best characters on the show, even though Fen is great.

The finale seemed to scoop up a lot of narnia's last battle but I liked how they dealt with it. new filllory could be ripe for new ideas and plots if they have the funding and care to