Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

This show is fun. I’m really enjoying Julia’s ascension to godhood or whatever she is.

Julia becomes a (slight book spoiler) Dryad and if you saw the previews for next week, Julia creating a forest I think confirms the show is going to follow through with it. The show has pretty much hit the major plot points compared to the books, if even in a completely different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

geeves posted:

Julia becomes a (slight book spoiler) Dryad and if you saw the previews for next week, Julia creating a forest I think confirms the show is going to follow through with it. The show has pretty much hit the major plot points compared to the books, if even in a completely different way.

Which is funny, given the fact that last season she burned that forest of dryads. I suspect that is going to come back to haunt her.

I restarted season 1 last night because a friend has been marathoning the show and talking to me about it, and I forgot a lot of small details like cancer puppy. Season 1 uses a lot of pop music during party scenes, and they're all from the mid-2000s. Thought that was interesting. I wonder if the rights were cheaper because they were all a decade old, and they were extremely budget conscious?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My girlfriend is nearly through season one and texted me last night about how the author of the filling in season one was a pedophile and abused the chatwins.. I was like, what?? I had completely forgotten since once that reveal happens the show moves on so quickly to other things.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My girlfriend is nearly through season one and texted me last night about how the author of the filling in season one was a pedophile and abused the chatwins.. I was like, what?? I had completely forgotten since once that reveal happens the show moves on so quickly to other things.

Yeah, the storytelling in season one was much more episodic, compared to the more serialized version of the show we have now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I do think the author's haunted house was the best episode of season 1.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I do think the author's haunted house was the best episode of season 1.

That one was good, but the show didn't really click with me until the Brakebills South episode. Mayokovsky should be a series regular.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, the storytelling in season one was much more episodic, compared to the more serialized version of the show we have now.

It's still pretty episodic, with each key episode being pretty distinct from the prior ones.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

That one was good, but the show didn't really click with me until the Brakebills South episode. Mayokovsky should be a series regular.

i don't think the show has the animal handler budget for that anymore, unfortunately

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I just realized that the actress who plays the Librarian also played Ursula in Spider-Man 2

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need to talk about this some more because my Elliot mancrush is out of control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mfBt3mhtc

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

We need to talk about this some more because my Elliot mancrush is out of control

He's very... angular

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

I basically watch this at least once a day.

And yeah, I think all of the guys on the show are incredibly attractive, Eliot especially, and none of my friends who watch the show agree. I don't get it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't like Quentin's hair.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think it rules that sometimes quentin and alice have near identical hairstyles

when they're on good terms they probably share conditioners &etc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

And yeah, I think all of the guys on the show are incredibly attractive, Eliot especially, and none of my friends who watch the show agree. I don't get it.

He's all neck and no chin.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

zeal posted:

i think it rules that sometimes quentin and alice have near identical hairstyles

when they're on good terms they probably share conditioners &etc.

Sometimes I wonder how these actors get along in person. Like, does everyone get sick of Quentin overacting his stutter or of Julia stealing screen time with her jeans? I dunno.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Julia stealing screen time with her jeans?

Oi, shut up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone on this show is equally gorgeous. Some of them are just more gorgeouser than the others.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Oi, shut up.

julia's propensity for clothing with the surface tension of a catsuit is a gift to us all in these darkening days

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

BACK OFF! HE’S MINE!
Unless Tom Hiddleson starts doing musicals dressed as Loki. It will be close though. Seriously, Hale is beautiful and I will hear nothing else on the matter.

How is this show so consistently good? Best goon recommendation for a tv show in years. If only they would do a full musical episode.

Tinkerbitch. Heh. I want Margo to be my bff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Between singing Queen and being the Beast Quentin has grown on me so much this month.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Between singing Queen and being the Beast Quentin has grown on me so much this month.

not just singing, using the magic of that joy demon's pocket party dimension to give everybody a backing track and fill any gaps in the lyrics in their memory

i've always contended that that minor mending he uses to fix his dad's model airplane was one of the 'greatest' feats of magic accomplished on the show

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Goddamn Margo just cannot keep both eyes in any timeline can she.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bussamove posted:

Goddamn Margo just cannot keep both eyes in any timeline can she.

Damnit you're right, now I'm going to have to rewatch to see if it was the same one or not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I rewatched s1e1 cause you guys were discussing it earlier and wow why was Quentin such a dick to Julia? I’m talking about the scene where she tells him that she remembers Brakebills and shows him she can do magic. Quentin is suppose to be her best friend and he just acts like a “gatekeeper” type, you know one of those “you can’t like my hobby because you didn’t study the fine art of every single detail like I have” shitheads.

e: Wait a minute, was that first episode it’s own entirely self-contained timeline? I haven’t rewatched s1e2 but at the end of s1e1 doesn’t the beast kill the dean and Quentin?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 25, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Damnit you're right, now I'm going to have to rewatch to see if it was the same one or not.

it's the opposite eye

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mortanis posted:

A lot of it was in terms of missteps compared to the book
I've never read the books, and season 1 was really bad. Like, Shannara Chronicles bad. Two shows that I stuck with just because I was watching them with my sister and neither of us disliked them enough to stop. The Magicians is actually really good now, but based on season one I assumed it would be cancelled and forgotten and only ever brought up by fans of the books in a "hey remember that lovely TV adaptation they made?" kind of way.

XboxPants posted:

That's how I had been picturing it, too, but this episode makes me think that it's much worse than that. Some people die? On a cosmic scale, that's a blip, even if the beast killed every human on the planet, which he certainly didn't seem to have any interest in. Hey, natural disasters happen, evil destructive gods exist. The universe would keep going without us.
It doesn't have to be a world-ending disaster for it to be bad enough for Jane to want to change it. She died, a whole lot of other people she knew died, a place she cared about was conquered by a psychopath. The stakes were never "the universe will end" it was always "this guy is going to murder us and we'd rather he didn't".

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rewatched s1e1 cause you guys were discussing it earlier and wow why was Quentin such a dick to Julia?
Because Quentin's a loving arsehole. Haven't you been paying attention? Her not getting in made him feel more special, and that's exactly what he wanted. He was ready to believe that Julia was just jealous of him because he wanted her to be jealous of him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not that bad.

Season 1 sure has it's moments.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Season 1's great.

Honestly, of the three seasons out so far, the one that I think is the weakest is the second. The various different subplots (Renard, the niffin plot, the misfortunes of Penny, Fillory, ect.) never end up intersecting with, or informing, each other, and at least two of them end with barely any resolution at all. Most of the plots end up climaxing in episode 12, and then episode 13 wheels on a minor character and attempts to have them take centre stage in a way that doesn't totally satisfy.

I mean, I liked it pretty much a lot. But if you're looking for a weak season, it's the second. The structure is a mess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, of the three seasons out so far, the one that I think is the weakest is the second. The various different subplots (Renard, the niffin plot, the misfortunes of Penny, Fillory, ect.) never end up intersecting with, or informing, each other, and at least two of them end with barely any resolution at all. Most of the plots end up climaxing in episode 12, and then episode 13 wheels on a minor character and attempts to have them take centre stage in a way that doesn't totally satisfy.

I mean, I liked it pretty much a lot. But if you're looking for a weak season, it's the second. The structure is a mess.

Julia, Elliot and Penny carry season 2.

And Kady, i guess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Julia, Elliot and Penny carry season 2.

And Kady, i guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

Quentin such a dick to Julia?

Because Penny is and always has been right: Quentin is a dick.

It was NOT hard to see him turning into Beast 2.0, at all. Usually in shows it feels like a gimmick and "Oh I guess this character could have been the villain, isn't that crazy?" with Quentin I went "Yeah, that checks out."

PS: Season 1 was great. You need the early grounding / small steps before poo poo gets real in a universe this insane. You can't throw people in the deep end of madness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You can't throw people in the deep end of madness.
You can, it'll just put some people off the show. I would argue though that it wouldn't put off more people than season one of this show did anyway.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I also just rewatched season one to see if I could backup my claims that it was rough, and also because a friend was watching it and asking me questions about things that I didn't remember.

The first five or six episodes are legitimately terrible. Particularly Alice's niffen brother, the welters episode, and Julia putting a spell on Eliot to make him think he was in a mental hospital (except for the Taylor Swift song, which I think is possibly the origin for all the humor the show uses today).

But after that, the show starts to come together, and other than the very poor and sudden setup of Julia's entry into Free Trader Beowulf, it was pretty enjoyable.

Those first several episodes though, I can see why so many of my friends gave up on the show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rewatched s1e1 cause you guys were discussing it earlier and wow why was Quentin such a dick to Julia?

Because by that point he had been in school for a few months and he knew how dangerous magic could be, and how the hedge witches were bad news. Basically it'd be like learning that your best friend started getting into crack cocaine and developing nuclear weapons with the Crypts street gang, you'd also be like, "Dude, what. the. gently caress."

And, he was right. Julia was used by Marina to break into Brakebills, subsequently got herself cut off from the only halfway decent hedge witches, got Kady's mother killed, got everyone in Free Trader Beowulf killed except for herself and Kady, got raped and impregnated by a god, got Marina's cat mutilated and killed, and then got Marina's fingers eaten off her hand, and then also killed. Julia's path to magic is marked with many, many bodies and other horrors.

Basically exactly what Quentin warned her would happen.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if they decide to go even weirder when they run out of book material i hope Magicians does an extended 'Young Henry Fogg Adventures' thing set in the 80s

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Nihonniboku posted:

developing nuclear weapons with the Crypts street gang

lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are spoilers in this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2t1PeFmug

But it also contains yet another hilarious Joshism so just watch it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Random thoughts:
I think season one was kind of rough too, but I liked it enough to stick with it.

Penny's pretty relatable for me, Elliot reminds me of an old friend, and Alice looks eerily like a now ex. Also, Margo's been the poo poo from the beginning and I would watch a whole season of her just being a badass bitch.

I think the unspeakable evil they'll unlock is just plot fodder for next season.

I can't believe I didn't think that NuPenny could be inhabited by our Penny till I read the latest comments in here. Especially after watching Fringe and seeing Olivia get inhabited by like half a dozen people.

What kind of clusterfuck will Marina coming to our side cause?

WrightOfWay posted:

I wonder if Kady was a member of the main group in timeline 23? She's the only main cast member that was unaccounted for in this episode.

In addition to the aforementioned "I don't know who that is" from NuPenny, I imagine NuPenny found a partner in Julia since she was admitted to school and therefore never tried to keep Kady from leaving, saving her, etc.

I just want to say how much I loved watching Q and Elliot getting old together. That's been the best part of the show for me so far. Probably moreso because I love Elliot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Quentin's really only less of a dick now because he's finally living out his dream of being the leader of a heroic quest. If he was dealing with Fillory politics like Elliot and Margo or just trying to better some random people's (elves) lives like Julia he'd still be a whiny dick.

Although its possible that his long life with Elliot chilled him out. The fact that they happened together makes it hard to figure where to draw the line between the two things. Either way he was a massive dick in the first two seasons because he had a massive inferiority complex, especially as it relates to Julia. Now he's finally at some kind of satisfied peace so he's chilling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aexo posted:

I just want to say how much I loved watching Q and Elliot getting old together. That's been the best part of the show for me so far. Probably moreso because I love Elliot.

I hope now that the quest to restore magic is winding down, they start to deal with their memories of their parallel life together, and possible lingering feelings they might have for each other. What's really unique about their relationship is that it kind of throws out the old trope of the gay character falling for the straight character. Who knows who initiated their threesome back in season one, but it was Quentin who initiated the hookup this season. And in the book, there is a brief moment where Quentin walks in on Eliot with another male student at Brakebills, and he feels jealous that Eliot never gave him that kind of attention.