Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
All caught up. I was sort-of hoping that after the downer that ended S2, they would end on a higher note at the end of S3. Nope.

But I think my DVR missed some things over the season. I checked wikipedia, I don't THINK the DVR missed any episodes... and when watching the DVR, I always had opening and closing credits. But I seem to have completely missed a couple huge plot points.

Right from the beginning. I was completely confused when the fairies were in charge at Whitespire, in S3E1. They were established in the castle and were vexxing Margot and it seems liked I'm missed a bunch... I looked it up, and I hadn't missed an episode. I better double check that. Was it just some brief thing way back at the end of S2 that I'd forgotten? I don't do drugs. I can't blame that.

And I missed how Josh found the one key, in the throne room. One episode ended with them setting up light to be reflected through the room... it doesn't work... and he says, "Guys, I know where the key is" and the episode ended, and the next episode began with the funny recap of Josh explaining things to Penny.

Fill me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GORDON posted:

All caught up. I was sort-of hoping that after the downer that ended S2, they would end on a higher note at the end of S3. Nope.

But I think my DVR missed some things over the season. I checked wikipedia, I don't THINK the DVR missed any episodes... and when watching the DVR, I always had opening and closing credits. But I seem to have completely missed a couple huge plot points.

Right from the beginning. I was completely confused when the fairies were in charge at Whitespire, in S3E1. They were established in the castle and were vexxing Margot and it seems liked I'm missed a bunch... I looked it up, and I hadn't missed an episode. I better double check that. Was it just some brief thing way back at the end of S2 that I'd forgotten? I don't do drugs. I can't blame that.

And I missed how Josh found the one key, in the throne room. One episode ended with them setting up light to be reflected through the room... it doesn't work... and he says, "Guys, I know where the key is" and the episode ended, and the next episode began with the funny recap of Josh explaining things to Penny.

Fill me in.

There was indeed a brief thing at the end of S2 where Fen stumbles into the throne room saying that the fairies are coming to invade Fillory, and then a cut to outside where the castle is surrounded by an invading fairy army. No battle scenes or anything though.

Josh found the location of the sixth(?) key because he was smoking his super weed that lets you see into other dimensions and he saw it in the fairy realm, but the key wasn't actually acquired until after the negotiations with the fairy queen.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gadzuko posted:

Josh found the location of the sixth(?) key because he was smoking his super weed that lets you see into other dimensions and he saw it in the fairy realm, but the key wasn't actually acquired until after the negotiations with the fairy queen.

Ooooohhhh, I hadn't made the connection between those two pieces of information.

This show really leaves it up to the viewer to make those logical connections. I like it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Also.... I liked the scene between Q and his father. I'll spoiler this just in case.

At first I thought Q was just going to ask for dad's blessing, because Q didn't know if bringing magic back would kill dad. I didn't put any thought into that moment... then everyone has to agonize the decision... then Sytheryn Hermione talks him into doing it and killing Dad. it's sort of cliche and you see how it's all going to play out without even trying.

But then Q didn't. He wasn't asking for dad's permission... he was just telling dad how it was going to be, and why. This was the moment the writers showed that Q was now an adult, and his own man. He wasn't asking, he was doing what he saw as the proper thing, he was looking his father in the eye, and he was going to accept every consequence.

I thought that was an elegant way of showing someone come into his own self, without coming out and saying it.

Elliot and Margot finally grew up, being responsible for others.... Q just made the transition, too. This is a good show.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Well, he was also there because even if fixing magic didn't kill his dad, Q was planning to martyr himself to be the new jailer for The Thing That Wants. I'm not going to say his depressive tendencies aren't relatable though. It's a weird sort of fantasy that indulges that complex.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So that's a wrap on Q's dad then, huh.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
You mean his son.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

He has magic cancer because he’s from a different timeline thing holy poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We can't say one way or another if the cancer came back because magic isn't generally available. Julia still having magic didn't give him cancer, so the library rationing it might be keeping him alive since it's keeping it contained and controlled.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I forget if they ever explained how dad got magic cancer but if they didn't, I'm sure they'll give him the cancer back next season and have it be some crazy twist who gave it to him and why they're still allowed magic despite the rationing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I forget if they ever explained how dad got magic cancer but if they didn't, I'm sure they'll give him the cancer back next season and have it be some crazy twist who gave it to him and why they're still allowed magic despite the rationing.

I would also like to know why his father has magic cancer.

I remember them trying to cure his cancer using magic, back in season 1, but not that magic was what was causing his cancer in the first place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Magical STD. He hosed a unicorn.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I could see a thing where certain diseases are ultimately the result of the magic gland going wonky for some people.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Q's dad's cancer is like Lisa's mom's from The Room. Just let it go.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
In season 1 they said that cancer is inherently magical, which is why curing it with magic was next to impossible.

...poor cancer puppy.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
with or without magic, cancer needs to go suck a dick

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuggan posted:

In season 1 they said that cancer is inherently magical, which is why curing it with magic was next to impossible.

...poor cancer puppy.

I thought it was just Quinn's father that had magical cancer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I might have missed something, but I thought it was that his dad's cancer specifically was magical, not that all cancer was. Otherwise #1 world news would be that all cancer had gone into remission when magic left.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i always figured quentin's dad's cancer was a jape martin chatwin started pulling as he got increasingly bored with the time loops

he seemed to hate quentin especially, of the core crew. giving q's only close family magical cancer seems like a curse he'd just start inflicting casually whenever he detected one of jane's resets after a certain point

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
In the first season episode that has them trying to impress mentors, Q pulls the one doctor magician aside and asks about cancer. She says "Cancer is a part of you intrinsically in a way that magic cant separate. Some people say it is magic, an old curse we can't break".

So nope, not just his dad. Everyone has magic cancer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Fiveish friends on an epic quest to restore magic and cancer sorry gramma

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuggan posted:

In the first season episode that has them trying to impress mentors, Q pulls the one doctor magician aside and asks about cancer. She says "Cancer is a part of you intrinsically in a way that magic cant separate. Some people say it is magic, an old curse we can't break".

So nope, not just his dad. Everyone has magic cancer.

every known case of cancer is incurable through magic =/ every case of cancer is brought on by magic. afaik nobody dropped the bombshell that all cancer on earth ceased when the plumbers came to do their thing, despite that healer's poetic description of the disease, just that q's dad's had, evidently because the magic that sustained his case failed

given what we've seen of the powers and limitations of human magic on the show, it seems perfectly in keeping that cancer is something magic can start but not stop

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

But if magic being turned off - for a specific subset of the universe - means cancer gets turned off, then what does siphoned magic - for a specific subset of the universe - equal? It's... a weird one.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
The show can say anything it wants, but what cancer really is, is two bugs hitting one cell.

Runaway growth hits our cells all the time. Benign tumors, cysts, etc. We have a protection built-in, which is also a large part of the reason we die, and something MRAs have siezed on--tolomeres. It's like a counter that decrements every time a cell divides. When it's time to divide and there's no tolomeres left, well, trigger apoptosis. That's cell suicide. Also triggered in oxygen-starved situations, which is a large part of the reason medically-induced comas work--knock the fuckers out before they can kill themselves. It evolved because it's useful in the absence of advanced life support, artifical livers and even kidneys, and intubation.

To get cancer, you need two bugs in one cell--runaway growth, and ignoring apoptosis. We have hundreds of billions of cells and live for decades, so even this extremely unlikely event happens all the time.

The explanation, IIRC, is that cancer is intrinsic to a person--it's still you, and magic can't distinguish. There's a woman who died of cancer in the '50s or '60s, and literal tons of her exist to this day, because of laws and the fact that cancer never dies. It's not that all cancer is magic, it's that magic is too coarse of a tool. God-level control being able to inspect cells and go, "oh, you're still splitting even though your tolomere chain has run out, I'd have no problem with that.

There was recently an article about identical twins, one of them spent around a year in space, the other didn't. They no longer show up as related from DNA tests, because the one in space had so many mutations.

If you don't want to go extra-terrestrial, just look at chimeras. Different-colored eyes, or even beard hair that doesn't match head hair. That's different DNA, living together. Life finds a way, and compromises when necessary.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

The show can say anything it wants, but what cancer really is, is two bugs hitting one cell.

Runaway growth hits our cells all the time. Benign tumors, cysts, etc. We have a protection built-in, which is also a large part of the reason we die, and something MRAs have siezed on--tolomeres. It's like a counter that decrements every time a cell divides. When it's time to divide and there's no tolomeres left, well, trigger apoptosis. That's cell suicide. Also triggered in oxygen-starved situations, which is a large part of the reason medically-induced comas work--knock the fuckers out before they can kill themselves. It evolved because it's useful in the absence of advanced life support, artifical livers and even kidneys, and intubation.

To get cancer, you need two bugs in one cell--runaway growth, and ignoring apoptosis. We have hundreds of billions of cells and live for decades, so even this extremely unlikely event happens all the time.

The explanation, IIRC, is that cancer is intrinsic to a person--it's still you, and magic can't distinguish. There's a woman who died of cancer in the '50s or '60s, and literal tons of her exist to this day, because of laws and the fact that cancer never dies. It's not that all cancer is magic, it's that magic is too coarse of a tool. God-level control being able to inspect cells and go, "oh, you're still splitting even though your tolomere chain has run out, I'd have no problem with that.

There was recently an article about identical twins, one of them spent around a year in space, the other didn't. They no longer show up as related from DNA tests, because the one in space had so many mutations.

If you don't want to go extra-terrestrial, just look at chimeras. Different-colored eyes, or even beard hair that doesn't match head hair. That's different DNA, living together. Life finds a way, and compromises when necessary.

Hela cells are the craziest thing in the world

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Her name was Henrietta Lacks. Neither she nor her family ever gave permission to use her cells.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nashona posted:

Her name was Henrietta Lacks. Neither she nor her family ever gave permission to use her cells.

But I believe they did give permission to the book written about her, the documentary based on the book, and the HBO movie starring Oprah about her.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Hela cells are the craziest thing in the world
Yeah... that was a far more entertaining explanation than I expected when I started reading that post. "Cancer is you, so magic can't distinguish" always made sense, but I have the sudden urge to pick up a book on cell biology.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

But I believe they did give permission to the book written about her, the documentary based on the book, and the HBO movie starring Oprah about her.

Yes, because they wanted people to know that scientists used her cells without her consent.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Yes, because they wanted people to know that scientists used her cells without her consent.
And of course that has nothing whatsoever to do with the family's well documented campaign for monetary compensation.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Informed Consent didn't exist until 5 or 6 years later and it was based off of a malpractice suit. I'm not saying what happened to Lacks wasn't unethical, especially by today's standards.

Lacks' story is just this story that has all the wrong and toxic things going for it - especially with her children. I don't even want to touch this because it's lose-lose.

Nihonniboku posted:

That's a drama of its own: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-henrietta-lacks-son-includes-oprah-hbo-complaints-20170320-story.html

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/claims-henrietta-lacks-controversy-far-from-over-180962185/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nifty behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgau9NdoQE

I really hope they let Trevor Einhorn keep all of those Josh portraits.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So I just got a notice about a "Wizards and Wands Bar Crawl" for Harry Potter fans happening soon near me. I... may have bought myself a Brakebills tee shirt and am tempted to go.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

So I just got a notice about a "Wizards and Wands Bar Crawl" for Harry Potter fans happening soon near me. I... may have bought myself a Brakebills tee shirt and am tempted to go.

Official, pay for a wristband, bar crawls are almost never worth it. The bars are far more crowded than usual, it takes forever to get a drink, and unless you're getting straight liquor, wine, or beer, any cocktail you get is going to be watered down. Just go drinking on your own time.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Nihonniboku posted:

Official, pay for a wristband, bar crawls are almost never worth it. The bars are far more crowded than usual, it takes forever to get a drink, and unless you're getting straight liquor, wine, or beer, any cocktail you get is going to be watered down. Just go drinking on your own time.

Well, yeah, it's be sure to be miserable. But going in-character as a Brakebills alum around a bunch of Harry Potter fangirls has a certain cachet.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Well, yeah, it's be sure to be miserable. But going in-character as a Brakebills alum around a bunch of Harry Potter fangirls has a certain cachet.

I'm not sure this would go over as well as you think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm not sure this would go over as well as you think.

Nobody is going to know what he's doing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, so long as he's chancing some roleplay sex with girls in school uniforms, what could go wrong.?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
EDIT: I'm not actually going to do any of that. I'm not actually that much a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Coward