Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It was in the third book. It was only told by Janet rather than happening on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After it she killed them all and found their hidden stash of ore and made badass axes out of it. It's not quite as bad as the previous book's sex stuff, since she thought she was slumming it with a primitive culture and getting initiated into their cool secrets, so both were sort of taking advantage of each other. And then she has magic powers so is able to get effective revenge when they piss her off.

But it's still weird.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
https://twitter.com/magicianssyfy/status/1085292167327870977?s=21

Musical recap! It’s not as good as The Expanse Re-cat, but take what you can get

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It did work, she mentions living with them and going through that for six months before they got tired of her and told her the truth.

They tell her the secret to their weaponry is found in black grains of sand that are mixed i with their regular sand at like 10000/1 and every child must gather a bag full to forge into their first weapon. She spends the six months sifting sand for the black grains. After going through all of that and bringing the bag to the man she’d been sleeping with he laughs at her dumps out the bag to reveal she was just fooling herself into seeing the sand as black and that they would never teach their secrets to a “filthy earth whore”.

Should of used a Magnet

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
SYFY announced that they’ve already renewed the show for season 5.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Should of used a Magnet
iirc I think she said that she could've just magiced it all out but bought into the romanticism or something.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It's starting!!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wow, they sure got everyone together pretty quick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, I know shows don't want to be seen as glamorizing suicide but did they really need to put the suicide prevention notice at the end of the episode when Alice was doing a fake attempt?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
She was given specific instructions how to, and was shown having inflicted specific wounds. It doesn’t impose on the work to put a splash page for a helpful resource at the end of the episode. Plus, they’re not all back together, and they wouldn’t want to follow the last season’s structure twice. gently caress, it’s gonna be a long season if everyone is this bad at watching TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Additionally, they might have thought more about the way the show used suicide in previous seasons, and decided they needed to make up for their cavalier representation.

Seeing depictions of the act can be triggering, even if they're not as loving as 13 Reasons Why.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Also, I know shows don't want to be seen as glamorizing suicide but did they really need to put the suicide prevention notice at the end of the episode when Alice was doing a fake attempt?

It wasn't a fake attempt, she attempted it. The risk was very real.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*slits dude’s throat*

“Jimmies....ARE sprinkles?”

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I appreciate that they spent barely half an episode on the cliche "getting the band back together" plotline, though I do hope we get a little more of dopey party-animal Penny before everything is back to normal.

e: Also it's incredibly cruel to namedrop "Nigel the bastard son of an English lord" and not give us a peek at alternate Elliot, that's just too perfectly evocative.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm assuming it's gonna hop bodies eventually, leaving us with Nigel.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the main thing i've been hoping to see in this season is Dean Fog making some moves now that he's got his eyes and his magic back. and ever since we learned of the multiple timelines, fog's ability to recall them all, and how close he was to Julia in every other timeline, i've wondered about how he felt about abiding by jane chatwin's decision to alter timeline 30 by throwing Julia out of Breakbills. now we know

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed the through line of the episode with Alice hearing about a cockroach, reading Franz Kafka and then catching the cockroach. Fully expecting her to transform herself into a cockroach in order to escape.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ember seems weirdly prejudiced against dwarfs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How did S3 wind up? I got sidetracked by life about 3-4 episodes in and never went back to it. Worth starting over, or not really?

Edit: I did enjoy the first two seasons and have generally thought that the farther they get from the books, the better the show is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The third season was the best one so far. I enjoyed it quite a bit. There is one episode in particular that I thought was fantastic and outstanding. I'd put it up there with Inner Light from TNG.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shooting Blanks posted:

How did S3 wind up? I got sidetracked by life about 3-4 episodes in and never went back to it. Worth starting over, or not really?

Edit: I did enjoy the first two seasons and have generally thought that the farther they get from the books, the better the show is.

You have to watch it, explaining it won't do it justice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Awesome, I'll start over from Ep 1 this week then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The third season was the best one so far. I enjoyed it quite a bit. There is one episode in particular that I thought was fantastic and outstanding. I'd put it up there with Inner Light from TNG.

Totally know and agree with you.

And also, you know, Under Pressure.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Every season so far has been better than the last and I hope that continues for this one.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
It's going to be really hard to top A Life in the Day and the rest of season 3. Especially with Season 5 already confirmed, this season may be a lot of set up if Season 5 ends up being the (intended) series conclusion. Which is not suggest that I think the show needs to end necessarily then.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Given how much the show has deviated from the books, I wouldn't assume they have a planned end. It's not like they're trying to finish a pre-written story.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

WrightOfWay posted:

Every season so far has been better than the last and I hope that continues for this one.

The more they've diverged from the books, or developed their own take on concepts rather than directly recreating plots and scenes, the better they've gotten.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Habibi posted:

The more they've diverged from the books, or developed their own take on concepts rather than directly recreating plots and scenes, the better they've gotten.

I enjoyed the books, they were a good read... the TV show is leaps and bounds ahead of the books, the original ideas and takes on the books basic concepts has been phenomenal.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iNteg posted:

I enjoyed the books, they were a good read... the TV show is leaps and bounds ahead of the books, the original ideas and takes on the books basic concepts has been phenomenal.

Having only seen the first two seasons, I don't know if I'd agree with this. I'd say that the books as written would have been incredibly difficult to faithfully adapt to a TV show, so they made the (correct) call to deviate and make it more appropriate for the medium. Basically the opposite of what Zack Snyder did with Watchmen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, take away Penny's anti-traveling tattoo. That's a great idea.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Magicians: "Todd...."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a pretty fast undo of the spell.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

That was a pretty fast undo of the spell.

That was the perfect amount of time. Anymore than that, I would have been very frustrated. We got some good gags, some mild suspense, lots of Todd, and a satisfying resolution to that story arc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone remind me which timeline penny this is and wheres the other one

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone remind me which timeline penny this is and wheres the other one

This Penny and Marina are from an alternate timeline where Quentin ended up killing The Beast and taking his place. "Our" Penny is dead and currently working in the Library's afterlife division after he signed that contract with them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
God drat it, some noodle uploaded the stream in spanish. I had like 90 mins to watch tv today.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Do they ever deal with Reynard in a satisfying manner in s3? The way it wrapped up in 2 was some horribly written bullshit and has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the show. Just a vague yes or no answer is fine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Do they ever deal with Reynard in a satisfying manner in s3? The way it wrapped up in 2 was some horribly written bullshit and has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the show. Just a vague yes or no answer is fine.

It's ongoing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I'll stick it out then. I would have hated to be following the show as it aired and end a season on that note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Loved last night's ep. The opium lines were great and all the fog stuff. I forget how much I enjoy this show inbetween seasons.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 31, 2019