Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just watched the first episode and I have no idea what's going on in this show. The timeframe seems very confused. Like, Sam Winchester shows up for his first day at wizard school and you'd think he should be in a class of people who are also new (like whichever of those other people who took the exam got in), but it seems like everyone else has been there for ages? Also, half the time he obviously has no idea what's going on, but then other times people will be like "magic is always dangerous, you should know that" like as though he's been at it for years. Or the scene where he's talking to mopey girl and acting like he knows what's going on and won't help her get into the school because he knows she's not qualified or whatever, when he should actually be saying "How the hell could I get them to change their minds about you? I don't know what the gently caress is going on."

And characters just do stuff for no discernible reason, like when the symbol appears on his hand, so he goes to talk to Reece Witherspoon and she won't help him unless he does a seance with her, and he raises some fairly compelling objections to this plan, but then goes through with it anyway and she still doesn't tell him what the symbol is? Or did I miss that? But through most of the episode (or at least the second half) I was just constantly asking "Why is this happening?"

On top of that, all the characters seem to be really shallow stereotypes, like they're characters in an American high school movie. And there's the whole Narnia thing, which I assume is meant to be obviously Narnia by a different name, except that in this world it's some obscure series no one cares about. Does that mean something? It just seems weird and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

buddhanc posted:

Maybe it's a good thing that I haven't read the books because I actually quite enjoyed the first episode.

I was thinking pretty much the opposite: Maybe if I'd read the book this would make sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

I really hated the first episode because of pacing issues and stupid story changes, this one was a little better but i think it is pretty clear that The Magicians is never going to be a good show.
The first episode was terrible. As someone who hasn't read the books, I had no idea what was going on. It felt like we were missing huge chunks of story and character development. The second episode is such an improvement it's like night and day. If it continues to improve (or even stays where it is), I'll keep watching.

STAC Goat posted:

I like the basic idea, I'm glad they glossed past "orientation" and right into the stories for both characters, it just could have been handled better.
My suggestion would be to cut most of episode one and just introduce us at the point where the protagonist is already at magic school. I honestly don't think you'd have a harder time following this starting at episode two than at episode one. This episode was just so much easier to follow and actually introduced characters and plot elements in ways that worked, whereas episode one just jumps from one thing to another so fast you don't know what's important or how anything relates to anything else.

gohmak posted:

Pretty good? The Expanse is shaping up to being one of the greatest scifi shows ever.
Meh. It's no Farscape or Lexx. It's OK, but I'm not particularly invested in any of the characters or the story at this stage.

Pwnstar posted:

So far there are no likeable characters in this show, everyone is a piece of poo poo. I guess thats the point maybe?
I dunno, I'm starting to like the gay best friend. Really not interested in the two outcasts (the guy who hears voices and the girl who's stealing stuff for whoever those two in the car were), or the hedge wizards, and the protagonist is pretty bleh. I think Reese Witherspoon and the girl who failed to entrance exam and has now joined the hedge wizards (I don't know her name and I can't think of any particular characteristics she has) might grow on me as it continues. There are other characters, but they made so little impression on me I can't remember them right now.

Some other thoughts:
  • Why does no one in this show ever just say "What the gently caress are you talking about?" There's all this cryptic bullshit being spouted and everyone just acts like these non-answers and mysterious hints are perfectly normal things to say, and it's really irritating.
  • Why are they calling the bad guy a beast when he's clearly a man? And why did no one say "Hang on, why are you calling that guy a beast?"
  • The Narnia parallel is really blatant and feels lazy and dumb. I can't see this playing out in any way that will feel satisfying.
  • When whatsername escaped from the freezer and she was angry at the dude, then they revealed it was actually the girl who was behind it, why did that even matter? It was the same bullshit no matter who planned it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My complaint from the first two episodes persists in this one. It's still going too fast. Apparently it's been three months? I would have guessed a week at most. The stuff that's happened makes a bit more sense if it's been three months, but I just don't get any impression of that much time having passed. We needed a lot more build up, show us the everyday wizard school stuff before it gets all crazy. It's impossible to appreciate the scale of anything that's happening when it's all new and unknown. It feels like the protagonist showed up at school, summoned a demon on his first day, got sorted on his second day, then fought an evil ghost on his third. And I still have no idea who most of the characters are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

The way I deal with it is by trying really hard not to compare it to the books. I feel like if it was its own thing, not connected to a pre-existing work, it would be a decent show. It's just the fact that it's mangling up the stuff it's based on that gets under my skin.

Nah, as someone who hasn't read the books, this show is not good. It might get there, but three episodes in it still feels really rushed and hard to follow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

Personally, I've really been enjoying the pace. I've had more than enough slow burn origin stories, I'm glad that this show keeps jumping to the good stuff. I haven't been having trouble following it.

I guess hard to follow is the wrong complaint. I know what's going on, just not what it means, I guess. Like, they haven't established the scale of anything. Was the protagonist's thing with the cards in the first episode impressive or mundane? When they fought that evil ghost, was that super dangerous or something a more experienced wizard would have handled easily? Was it more like catching a feral cat or a tiger? I couldn't tell. Are the rogue wizards doing something really dangerous? Is the magic they can do the same as the magic the real wizards do? What can magic even do in this world? It's just really difficult to figure out the significance of anything because there's no basis for comparison.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

At the beginning I thought it was way too early to be doing this episode. The second half was better (and probably the best the show's been so far), but we're not invested enough in this world or its characters for this setup to pay off for us yet.

The head witch's plan made sense and I didn't mind it at all, but it seems like they're setting her up as a major antagonist and I really hope I'm wrong about that, because she is a terrible character. There is nothing engaging about her at all.

The time issue is still coming up as well. How come the protagonist's friend now has all those stars on her arm? Did she jump straight to the head of the class at witch school? I actually hadn't noticed the stars until the final scene and I thought the head witch had just given them to her, which made no sense, but I watched it again and actually she was crossing them out? And then she teleported her... somewhere? And honestly, I don't care about her either so this all feels really low stakes.

Actually, the show hasn't gotten me to care about any of the characters so far or even given me a good idea of who they are. By this point I should have a better handle on the world and have some investment in the characters. I'm not going to stop watching, but if the show were cancelled and there were no more episodes, I wouldn't be left wondering what happened or wanting to see more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This episode, while flawed, is still probably the best so far. I wouldn't say that it's because there are no book expectations to hold against it; the first part is an interesting premise (and if it had been a better show up until now or I knew nothing of the books, would have maybe even begun wondering if the rest of the season would be a mindfuck "is Quentin crazy or not?" arc). They were pretty good about keeping it ambiguous at the start (the bait-and-switch with Elliot was great), but I felt like they maybe played their hand a bit soon.

It's been done enough times before that it was pretty obvious what was going on. My first thought was that it was either too late or much too early to do this episode. If it had been the first or second episode it might have made you genuinely question it, but at this stage it was obviously bullshit and we don't care enough about the world to want to see alternate versions of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This episode was a definite improvement. The dad's cancer thing was OK, although they did a bad job of the magic side of it. Magic has consequences... like? Quentin has access to a lot of energy now because he's sad about his dad? Huh? And I guess Quidditch-chess works by handicapping you and then seeing how powerful a spell you can do, so the extra "energy" Quentin had was how he was able to do the black hole spell and win. But what is this energy? Where does it come from? Why does being sad give you more of it?

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches. And what is Julia trying to do? Like, cast more powerful spells? But not to do anything in particular, just because she's, like, addicted to magic or something? But no one else seems to be.

The mentor thing came out of nowhere and didn't seem to have any relevance to anything.

Nothing really happened this episode either. There was a bit of setup for the next episode, like now we know that the mothman is holding someone we don't know prisoner in Narnia, but we still don't know anything about him or Narnia, so it's hard to care about that. Other than making the unfounded assumption that the fate of the world is at stake, I don't even know what sort of threat he represents.

And Julia no longer has a boyfriend, which is good, because he was just acting as an anchor preventing her from doing anything significant. But we've been given no indication of what she's likely to do, so it's hard to get excited about that. In fact, we don't really know what anyone wants or is trying to achieve so far, so the whole thing feels pretty meandering and unfocused.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

It is a difference between self taugh and school trained.. In order to even be considered for Breakbills you have to be best of the best, they teach you magic under relatively safe conditions and you have access to teachers and knowledge.
Hedge witches teach themselves magic they don't have anywhere near the same amount of resources as the students at Breakbills.

How does this manifest though? What can a fully trained magician do that a hedge witch can't? So far I have no idea what practical use magic is to anyone, other than that trick for stealing cash from ATMs, and even less idea of what constitutes powerful or difficult magic to perform. Both Julia and Quentin have now learned that magic can't solve all your problems, but what problems can it solve?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Botnit posted:

This doesn't really make sense though because Brakebills is constantly having people die. Hell they had an entire drat year of students die.

And is there some reason why there's only one proper magic school? Seems like there are more than enough people who fail to get into Brakebills (or just get overlooked and discover magic on their own) to make it worthwhile having more schools. And I'm assuming there are other magic schools in other places - are they all so exclusive? I don't really get why hedge witches should exist at all. It could be an economic thing, except it isn't, because Brakebills doesn't seem to care about that and it seems like it should be super easy for magicians to get whatever money they need.

If hedge witches were just isolated individuals who discovered magic on their own and had no training because they never caught the attention of any magic school recruiters, that would make sense. But given that they organise their own schools and the real magicians are obviously fully aware of them, it makes no sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

It's said in the book that there's one school in the UK, a few across the continent of Europe, a few in Asia, 1 in New Zealand, and 1 in Tasmania. I would assume there's a Caribbean school, since there's a Jamaican professor in the books. Same goes for an African school, but it's not mentioned.

Brakebills is the only magic school in the entire country/continent? That is the dumbest thing about the setting so far. With the number of hedge witches we've seen just in this one city, there must be significantly more of them in the world than actual magicians. There seem to be about as many young hedge witches in New York as there are students at Brakebills. How many must there be across the rest of the country? And how is magic kept secret from the general populace when so many people know about it?

Fast Luck posted:

Basically the thing with the hedge witches is that there just aren't that many spells that've leaked out to the public that these sorts of people get the chance to study or learn. So like in this episode Julia got to go check out that other "safe house" the dude told her about, and she looked at their little scrapbook of spells they'd collected and was like what the gently caress, all you have is this little bit of basic poo poo? They didn't have any magic she hadn't already learned.
How is there not a massive network of hedge witches though? The internet exists. In fact, you can Google real, working spells. There should be forums and reddit groups dedicated to hedge witches sharing their spells. And are there no real magicians feeding spells to them? Like, no underachieving magician who wants to feel like a superstar meeting up with hedge witches to show off and have them fawn over him?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FishionMailed posted:

Okay but imagine that there are a bunch of E/N rejects living in basement 'safehouses' trying to tell you that magic is REAL just come to this crack house equivalent and learn all about it or if the guardians of magic on the internet were depressed furry weirdos like Schmorky x10. You can google 'real' spells right now too but you don't because you (rightfully) think they are written by wanna be Wiccans or something.
Yes, but I think that because I've never seen anyone do actual magic. If I were, say, Julia, able to do actual magic of my own, I'd be a lot more motivated to sift through the garbage to find more genuine spells.

FishionMailed posted:

Now just imagine that if you took that secret ritual spell a bunch of internet strangers told you about and after practicing it hundreds of times it had some minor spell effect like making some light trails. Is it really so hard to imagine why only a certain few would actually take the time to a) track magic down and b) practice a seemingly psycho and useless thing to the point of obsession?
Sure, there aren't going to be a lot of hedge witches as a percentage of the total population, but in the show we've already seen that there are way more hedge witches than actual magicians. So I don't really know what your point is?

FishionMailed posted:

Idk I think you're getting a little too nitpicky over a book about magic. Most of those complaints apply to HP too but no one cares.
Two things: Harry Potter is a children's book, and in that universe the wizards essentially live in a whole different world to muggles, and basically anyone who can do magic at all goes to wizard school and gets to live in wizard land. There isn't the subculture of people who can do real magic excluded from wizard school and living amongst muggles.

FishionMailed posted:

Fwiw in the books Brakebills graduates like what 15-20 people a year and they presumably scour the whole country for candidates? I don't think there's really all that many magic capable people really.
We've already seen quite a few of them just in New York though. :shrug:

FishionMailed posted:

And I don't think a Brakebills grad cares about impressing a bunch of rejects as the books imply you can basically do whatever the hell you want; if you want to be rich and famous you can do that no problem so why bother impressing a bunch of basement dwellers?
If that's the case, fair enough, but we haven't seen any indication of that in the show so far.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Mages can change your memories too, so they can keep politicians and other people of interest in check.
How effective is that though? I mean, it didn't work on Julia at all. Maybe it works better on non-magical people? They don't seem to be particularly concerned about hedge witches running around potentially blowing the lid off their secret though. With the speed things can spread these days, all it would take is the wrong video to go viral and you've got more people who've seen it than you could ever hope to wipe the memories of and people re-uploading it every time you get it taken down.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 20, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Well I felt like that episode was better than the others so far.
Yeah, the Julia bits were actually decent. The Brakebills stuff was still dumb though. It really seemed like the correct course of action when told to think like a magician or whatever should have been to go "OH, OK, I'm not participating in this dumb bullshit then because it's obviously some sort of prank. Bye."

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of moron would have a school in both New Zealand and Tasmania but not in Australia?
Tasmania is part of Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

There is no sense of urgency or importance to anything that happens, it feels like an average college drama just with a little magic added.

Not even that, because what drama has even happened? Julia's story is moving, but the Brakebills stuff is all just... whatever. Stuff happens, but it doesn't lead anywhere.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Moogulus Caesar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason the Neitherlands show up in the books is because like me Lev Grossman always liked The Magician's Nephew and the crazy creepy primordial Narnia stuff, really intrigued by the Wood Between The Worlds and the implications of all the other pools, and annoyed that it's never shown up in any Narnia adaptations because they all seem to start with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

They all start with TLtWatW because it's the first one. TMN is a prequel, not the first book in the series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Hi, is this show good?

No. (I haven't read the books so this isn't based on the show being different). Most of the characters barely exist as people, the plot is basically non-existent (although that's sort of starting to change), there's no sense of what's at stake or how anything works, so it's very hard to care about anything that happens. It's not exactly bad, it's just very mediocre. There's really nothing about it that stands out in any way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, so that was another episode where nothing happened. The whole gin/djinn thing was obviously a meaningless B plot. Gay best friend's new boyfriend is evil I guess? But since we have no real idea who the bad guys are or what they want, we don't know what that means. Penny's girlfriend left, but she hasn't really done anything anyway, so who cares. Doing the nail spell without words might mean something to us if we had any idea how magic works, but we don't. And the whole fox/sex thing was just confusing and meaningless. Can they turn into foxes any time now? Or do they have some kind of fox powers or something? What did that have to do with mind control? What did any of this mean or accomplish?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I know we're supposed to assume that a ton of time passed during the episode, but nothing on the screen really gave that feeling.

Were we? I thought it was, like, a couple of days. The Antarctica stuff was concurrent with the djinn stuff, so it can't have been that long.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

If it was a budget issue then they could at least have spent the entire episode there, and dropped the pointless Elliot and Julia storylines
Quentin, Alice and Penny are the main characters, so why not use the Antarctica set to full effect and further the story with them?

But the Julia storyline is the only thing worth watching for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's not good, it just seems like it might actually be going somewhere. Nothing seems to happen at Brakebills. Even when things go wrong or whatever, it's all quickly resolved and then they go back to not actually trying to do or achieve anything. Julia has goals and obstacles and has even actually been shown doing something useful with her magic. There's a plot, basically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well, that episode was pretty much entirely a waste of time. The bad guys popped in to say "hi" and do not much else. Oh, the beast killed that woman who was going to explain what's going on before she could, so that didn't really go anywhere. That character that was introduced last episode and we didn't have any reason to care about is dead, and that makes gay best friend sad, so there's that I suppose. Julia decided to give up magic and then decided to do magic again, so that went nowhere. There were more Narnia references but the plot doesn't seem to have actually moved at all. What is this show doing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This episode started well, but it just kept getting worse as it went on. Well, I say started, but what I mean is the first bits of the haunted house. The stuff with the author being a paedophile was pretty terrible, but up until then it was going well. The Julia storyline is still the best part by far, but this episode was pretty dull on that front and at least it looks like something might actually happen with the Brakebills crew in the next episode, now that Penny's presumably been sent to Narnia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

They seriously need to do something with Julia, either move her story forward or kill her, what is the point of her being in every episode when her story doesn't progress? She has been in a holding pattern for 3-4 episodes now.

He story has moved forward. It's the Brakebills stuff that's still at the same place it was by the end of episode one. Well, except for Penny disappearing at the end of the last episode, that might go somewhere. Or he might just reappear next episode and they'll do nothing again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

I have many problems with all the changes they have made to the story, but the Breakbills story is essentially following the first book, and it will come close to to being finished this season.

So nothing happens in the book either?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why are Eliot and Margo even in this show? It seemed at first like they were going to be involved, but apparently they're just there to fill time with pointless B plots.

Although, in terms of pointlessness, the main plots aren't really doing any better. Julia's story didn't really move, this felt like a total filler episode for her, and the Brakebills stuff didn't really go anywhere either. Penny went to the wood between the worlds and then to L-space and got some information that we haven't seen yet, we met some more characters we've got no reason to care about or assume will be worth remembering, and basically we're still at the same place we were at the end of the last episode.

And is there some reason why no one seems to know anything in this world? Like, every bit of knowledge requires speaking to some obscure expert, there's no such thing as wizard reference books. Do their libraries just contain spells and nothing else?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I suspect however that if you really made the show as bleak and sort of bland and made the characters all unlikable gits, then nobody would want to watch it at all.

That sounds like a much better show than the one we've got though. If what you say is accurate, the show has stripped the characters down to basically nothing and not really done anything to compensate, so instead of a show about terrible people with a magic school as a backdrop we instead get a show about a magic school where nothing happens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This episode wasn't bad. I liked the scene where they first bottled their emotions, and I like that both plots are actually moving forward. They're making plans and training, and Julia and her friends have a goal and are working toward it. Also, I loved that Cutthroat Bitch just showed up in the hospital and gave Penny that thing because up till that point I'd been asking why the hell they never go to any of the teachers or other experts until their own dumb ideas don't work, and she seemed to exist in that scene to say "Yeah, they're idiots. This is not a mistake on the part of the writers, you're supposed to think that."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, see I didn't read the books so I have no idea if its dealt better with in them or something but for the show I think it made sense to establish some basic boundaries and defined rules for the magic, especially answering pretty obvious questions. "So, magic is real, huh? Can I make myself rich? Can I live forever? Can I bring about world peace? What's the deal?"
It would have been nice if they'd done that, yeah. We still have no real idea of what magic can do, outside of a few isolated examples. Like, it can't cure cancer, but it can definitely cure some other stuff.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. I've only seen a few episodes [of Lost Girl] but basically what I've gathered is she's a succubus so she gets super powers from sex and can seduce anyone and is kind of rapey. And for some reason she's the chosen one of pixies or something. I'm really not sure. I just know the basic show drive is sex.
It's a really terrible show (that I watched all of). You're pretty much right, except it's way less coherent than her being the chosen one, because the whole backstory was basically made up on the fly and retconned any time it became inconvenient. And the whole thing is basically an excuse to have a lot of sex scenes separated by some mediocre action scenes and a lot of soap-opera style relationship drama.

The first season was OK, if you like that kind of thing, but it got worse and worse as it went on, to the point where the final season has characters appearing and disappearing for no reason and story arcs just cutting off without warning.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FRINGE posted:

People that like this show look down on Lost Girl and Lexx?

This show isn't good, but it's not nearly as bad as Lost Girl. Lexx is genuinely fantastic though and doesn't deserve to be compared to either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

You know say what you will about this show but it's actually pretty loving funny.

It's got some good lines, but they're few and far between. That said, this was a decent episode that demonstrated that the show could actually be good if the pacing wasn't so terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh my god, that was the end of the season? loving seriously? The sad thing is, this episode bordered on decent. If the whole season had been like this it would have been forgettable but OK. As it is, I think the entire season could easily be edited down to a single movie length and lose nothing of value. Of course, they'd need to give it an actual ending rather than the worst attempt at a cliff-hanger in the history of fiction.

Nihonniboku posted:

- budget constraints
I seriously couldn't believe that thing about the invisible castle. I quite enjoy a humorous real-world reference on occasion, but that was just so blatant and so badly done.

Nihonniboku posted:

- They went there with Julia's rape after all.
That scene was totally unnecessary.

Nihonniboku posted:

- Why did they bother to include Josh if he was just going to show up for 2 episodes, and do absolutely nothing?
Why did they bother to include about 90% of anything that happened in this show? Most of it had no impact on the characters or ongoing story.

Balon posted:

Here I was expecting the season to end with the time loop being reset. Each season is a rewind of the season previous, but with Q cognizant of the loop. That's how he starts off each season in the Looney Bin, and we get a few seasons of Groundhog Day until they get it right.
That's an awfully long-term plan for a show that seems as likely to fail as this one.

karrethuun posted:

Most of the complaints are about deviations from the books
Not having read the books, this show is an utter mess.

shadok posted:

Quentin's "I realise that I'm not the hero of this story" monologue would have been very poignant
If he'd done anything to earn it. He's blundered around feeling sorry for himself all season and when he said "Hey, maybe I'm not the hero" I was just like "well, duh. You're a dipshit."

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This show and the Expanse were both really great
The Expanse was far from my favourite show of the past year, but it's so far ahead of this one that there's really no comparison.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The first pages already mentioned the timescale and yeah I just have to agree. Everything seems to happen to fast. I don't remember it because I was half asleep when I binged the first three episodes, but I think it was in the first or second episode where Quentin mentions that they've only been at school for three months. In this same three months Julia was able to seemingly learn more magic than Quentin and also, this is the part I didn't believe, get a loving wrist tattoo and hide it from her boyfriend. I'm completely baffled how this is even possible.
The whole season operates this way. It's like a dream. There's absolutely no way to keep track of the passage of time. It's honestly as bad as The Shannara Chronicles.

Boris Galerkin posted:

But speaking of Eliot, I get that the school probably asked him to be a student helper/ambassador type to welcome Quentin when he first sets foot on campus and then to even give him a tour, but what I don't get is, why is he still around?
Good question. The only reason I can see is that he's a more compelling character than Quentin, but so is everyone.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The not-rape scene in the bathroom was really stupid. I get that they were going for the whole "push someone into unleashing their powers" thing but did they seriously have to rip off her shirt and tie her up? It was kind of gross.
This show is really into rape. It's weird.

Boris Galerkin posted:

- I'm just not sure how the world with wizards are structured. In the Harry Potter world, wizards are a literal secret society and magic use is heavily regulated. There you have people born to magical families and they go to magical school to learn about it. In The Magicians, I guess you also have people born into magical families (Alice), but they don't actually have proper magical training until they're adults, and it's also not regulated if you have the existence of hedge witches and being able to use magic in the "real world" in front of a camera equipped ATM. But, they must be aware of magic, because at the Magic SAT everybody but Julia and Quentin were totally not phased by the fact that they have a piece of paper in front of them changing every few seconds. So this just leads me to believe that everybody else in the room were born to magical families and/or made aware of magic and had somehow prepared for the Magic SAT like we'd prepare for the SAT or GRE. So then, what went wrong with Quentin and Julia's lives that nobody made them aware of magic and prepared them for it? Then you have the very first lecture of the very first day of magic school, and instead of teaching a syllabus the teacher simply asks a random student to come show what they can do. Some people know more magic than others, where did they learn it? Alice was taught by her brother sure, but everyone else?
:iiam:

Boris Galerkin posted:

- The mindwipe magic must be the weakest mindwipe magic in the world if a random cut on the arm is going to make you remember to google for the name of a university that doesn't exist.
What magic can do and how it works is really vague and inconsistent throughout the entire show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

- What's the deal with Quentin even? He's some kind of "chosen" one. I think the Dean and/or the Specialist Lady literally says that he is chosen (along with Penny). Ignoring the fact that the chosen one trope is really boring, they also have shown or told me why he's chosen. Harry Potter was a pretty lovely wizard when he started out, but at least they told me why he was chosen: because of his links to Voldemort. Quentin is a lovely wizard who's only made cards fly around, but yet he's chosen and we don't know why.
Yeah, turns out there's no reason and he actually isn't. And it's not some clever inversion of the trope either, it's literally just the show going "we told you this but actually no". It's super dumb.

Boris Galerkin posted:

At this point he's kind of a boring character, and the only reason why he's the lead character so far is because he's the lead character. There's no other reason.
Yep, that's consistent the whole way through. The show would lose nothing by not having him in it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What we did see with Quentin so far though is that 1) he can just do magic under stress like he did with the cards. The show has so far made it very obvious by zooming in on people's weird hand gestures that you need to do a lot of weird poo poo in order to cast a spell. But the floating cards scene, Quentin just does it by will. I'm going to guess that this is extremely rare
Nope.

Boris Galerkin posted:

And 2), they made it a point to show that Quentin had a photographic memory of seeing that girl do the battle magic spell and was instantly able to imitate every explicit finger position and the words to cast it, without any training.
Nah, that was just a thing that happened, it has no significance.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, what was the deal with Quentin dropping the coin during the scene with the Beast? Everything and everyone was frozen in place and then all of a sudden Quentin drops his coin. Is this a plot point later on in the books/show?
Can you guess what the answer to this one is? Nope, that's not significant at all. This show really does not reward paying attention or trying to understand anything that's happening.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this just another edge of tomorrow story?
There's a time loop, but we only see the final iteration, so it's not particularly relevant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Episode 6: the trials seem kind of like bullshit in my opinion. At first I thought they were just some kind of hazing ritual, but it actually has real consequences and expels you from the school? What kind of bullshit is that?
Yeah, I thought that the correct answer was going to be to realise that this was all bullshit that the school obviously would not have authorised and go back to bed, but nope, this whole thing was totally legit even though it makes no sense!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't really get the deal with the mother/daughter thing. The mother hosed up somehow and Marina helped her out and in return "bought" the daughter and now she's a heroinemagic stealing slave.
Yeah, I never got how that worked.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I don't get though is the whole training or lack of training these people are getting. The Russian professor was basically telling Penny "yep you can disappear to somewhere completely random and die but I'll teach you! now go disappear to somewhere random and hope you don't die." And then there's like the part where the professor just throws Quentin and Alice out into the cold and telling them to survive but without actually teaching them how to survive or what to do. What kind of lovely education is this?
Yeah, there's never any impression of any actual education going on at any stage. In fact, Julia seems to be learning more.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we find out what happened to the 3rd year students?
Yes, eventually.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bobatron posted:

On a different note, I also liked quick joke in the final episode about the air in Fillory being 0.05% opium.

That was a great line.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't care about spoilers, but it was annoying in (I think?) the Expanse thread where there'd be nothing but spoiler tags for pages because people were just outright discussing the books instead of the show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Femur posted:

How is it not the same journey? Both felt the real world was not enough.
No they didn't. Quentin felt that the real world was not enough and was obsessed with childish fantasies. Then they both discovered that magic was real. Quentin got to go to magic school and Julia didn't and she resented that. She wasn't pining for some fantasy world, she just wanted to learn magic, which remember, was real and within her grasp. She wasn't wasting her life going after some impossible dream, she actually went out and found people to teach her magic. And it's never been made at all clear why she didn't get to go to wizard school.

Femur posted:

quinton Quinton quinton quinton quinton Quinton quinton Quinton quinton
I can't tell if you're doing this just to be annoying or if you've just somehow failed to notice that everyone else is spelling it differently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It was weird how Quentin's coworker was all like "Hey, I saw you use magic, let's be friends!" and then suddenly "You used magic, I hate you forever!" Like, they were talking about how magic causes bigger problems than it solves, but the fact that he was still using little spells for everyday things was the exact reason she started talking to him in the first place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Brakebills Prof said he sent Quentin there. It's entirely possible they have an relationship where they place students in that company.

Yeah, but how does that relate to what I was talking about?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Smashurbanipal posted:

With all the discussion of choice and agency, you're surprised that his coworker was upset that he magicked her without consent?

I guess it seemed more like she was upset at him magicking at all, rather than that it was her shirt he magicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate.
It would make sense, if we hadn't already seen how little of a poo poo they apparently give about Julia.