Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Botnit posted:

I didn't finish the first book but the game made no sense at all to me, it came across as one of the very big examples in my mind that I was reading a really lovely "adult" Harry Potter knockoff where he looked at quidditch and thought "I can make something like that" when no, you clearly couldn't. Then tried making it as meta as possible by saying how a lot of the characters didn't even understand it.

Quidditch is a fuckin terrible game because it's two games going on at the same time and one of them doesn't matter. Welters is a lovely game because it's the educational spellcasting game where you just practice casting spells in different "circumstances" depending on what square you land on. With each square simulating a different circumstance. It's as much a game as like, a slam dunk contest or something.

Spellcasting power depending largely on the magician accounting for and altering their casting depending on a seemingly infinite variety of circumstances was touched on briefly when the Professor at the end of the show stated that a certain spell would be more powerful during a waxing moon. In the books, magicians practice the same spells over and over and over taking into account random poo poo like phase of the moon, lattitude and longitude, humidity, planet alignment, time of day, weather conditions, altitude, and all sorts of other random stuff and spells become more powerful the more bespoke they are.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Was the scene in this last episode with Julia and Kady's mom casting the tandem spell the first time they've shown spellcasting include chanting as well as hand movements?

Pretty sure prior to this (and IIRC it was the same in the books) that while there were sometimes material components to spells there's never been explicit mention of verbal components/chanting.

And I forgot Josh found Teletubby Universe and got his freak on. Didn't he talk about several places he'd been, like the vaguely wushu-sounding reality where there was no ground and everyone lived on mountaintops and he hooked up with a warrior princess wife or something?

Spells in the books require chanting in obscure dead languages all the time. Quentin at one point can't cast the weird-rear end hedge magic level 1 spell to prove he's a magician so he substitutes in some dead Aramaic language light spell. To be a magician in the books is so hard partially because you have to learn all these languages, have the finger dexterity of a musician, and remember all the effects that can screw up your spell and compensate. Basic hedge magicians learn a bunch of stuff on accident or through gossip and scribbled notes without knowing the actual languages, sound things out phonetically, and add in extra hand motions that don't need to be there which is why Quentin can't perform the simplest Hedge spell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know. I don't love this show. Its riddled with problems and it doesn't feel like a lot is happening. But from the way you book readers talk I don't have any interest in reading the books and I thank the show runners for making the changes they have. The only things keeping my interested at all are Julia's story and the Fillory/Beast stuff metaplot and from the sounds of it that stuff is all either show created or pushed up in advance from later books. My biggest complain about this show is that the Brakesbill crowd are all self absorbed assholes who don't seem to be doing anything to warrant a TV show and it sure sounds like the group message is "they're even bigger assholes who spend more time doing less in the books!"

Imagine if you will, less story than the show is apparently doing in one season spread over 4 years instead of one school year like they're doing on the show. That's The Magicians and Julia's half of The Magician King. You do, however, get a lot more descriptions of magical homework. But the Magician's Land (3rd book) is balls to the wall awesome throughout.

The books are my girlfriend's favorite novels and she still loves the show for what it is. We were both surprised that Asmodeus had already been introduced but it makes sense to make her into one of the main characters on the show. Still missing that Josh though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
No way was Joe supposed to be Josh "That's some D&D poo poo! Dungeons and Dragons, Motherfucker!" Hoberman. He says this after seeing Penny and Alice have created spells out of the D&D handbook. One of the best moments of the book.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

HughGRect posted:

Is Margo a character from the later books, I only read the first. Or did they create a new character to replace Janet, maybe even for the excusable reason of the classy joke of a Margolem?

They changed Janet's name to Margo because having three important woman characters named Julia, Janet, and Jane was confusing. At least to me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm glad they changed Janet's name to Margot because I like the books and still confused Janet, Jane, and Julia.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I forgot where Kady/Asmodeus went. I think its time she returned to Julia's story line.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Same here.

The show definitely does have its weak points though. For example I still haven't warmed up to Quentin. He seems totally... average. Not the type of main "hero" character that the audience can relate to and cheer for (okay, maybe you nerds can relate to him. I can't.).

I'm not asking for a flawless badass or a Mary Sue, but someone who has a few strong qualities. Quentin seems to have none. He's soppy, whiny, immature, can barely cast any spells.

Alice is a lot more relatable for that reason. She, too, is socially awkward, but also quite competent.

Yeah, that's Quentin!

In the books it's talked about more how each magician has a specialty innate to them: Penny is a traveler, Josh is good with portals, Alice is good with manipulating light. Nobody can figure out what Quentin's specialty actually is until he's like 30.

But yeah, Quentin is naturally talented but it takes a while for him to actually apply himself like Alice or Penny who are incredibly talented and motivated.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Quentin didn't come into his power until the third book? For real? I guess you must've fallen asleep during the end/epilogue of the first book where he got healed by a centaur and spent a bunch of time basically in "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and became a seriously badass wizard (with a wooden shoulder).

Yeah, it took Alice sacrificing herself to save Quentin for Quentin to actually complete some of the things he starts, apply himself, and realize his potential as a magician. He's like, "drat, Alice was super good and I'm not going to waste her sacrifice by wasting my potential." In the second book it's clear that Quentin is serious business. In both magical theory and battle magic.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Fun fact: In the books the black hole spell was all Josh IIRC

Yep. Josh was basically like a wild mage where sometimes his spells were amateur hour and sometimes they were earthshaking and he could never really control it. Josh isn't pretty enough to be main cast though.

enraged_camel posted:

Which kinda sucks I guess because in the second season (if we assume it correlates with the second book), Quentin's ability consists of casting Shield (first year spell) and cast Aim (which Penny just taught him).

In season 1 he created that small black hole thing and that was cool, but I guess from a budget perspective spells like that can't happen too frequently.

Well, he's on that path now in the show. The books are structured a little differently, the show so far isn't quite up to the end of book 1 yet, but it's also covered half of book 2 which centered around Julia, and what she was doing while Quentin was at Brakebills.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Oroborus posted:

I recently listened to the first book and was wondering is it worth listening to the other two? I thought the first was decent enough what is the general consensus about the others?

I think each book is better than the last.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mortanis posted:

Would Julia gunning down either Renard or The Lady Underground have had the same effect? It was implied killing any god would have that effect, right?

Good finale and a good season. I enjoyed S1 but S2 was legit great and quite fun.

Mayakovsky must be crazy pissed they drained his magic batteries bringing Alice back now.

Yes, killing Reynard likely would have had the same effect. In the books, Julia and her group of hedges simply summoning Reynard is what tips off the major Gods to humans and lesser beings having access to magic.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I mean, the main story of this season is straight out of Book 2 still. They've just moved a lot of stuff up and added a lot of scenes for characters to make them fully main cast, Julia's book 2 arc was covered in season 1 (it makes sense because her story was a flashback and took place concurrently to book 1), Julia and Kady's book 3 arc was in season 2. Alice's book 3 arc was in season 2. There's still a major book 3 character they can introduce as well as go through some of Josh's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Crunk Abortion posted:

Just in case anyone missed an excellent meta gag, the actor who plays Eliot also starred in this cult classic:

There was another meta gag in the last episode, where Margo questions the prince she's to marry on whether he's going to kill her with a crossbow like Joffrey on Game of Thrones. Later in the episode, Margo goes to talk to Jane Chatwin... played by the same actress as the character who is killed by Joffrey with a crossbow.