Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hmmmm

hmmmmmmmm

There were some interesting adaptation choices made.

Good:
skipping most of the school stuff, because it's boring and probably wouldn't come through well on TV
Quentin, Elliott, Julia, and "Margo" (Janet) are well cast. Quentin for better or worse is really, really similar to his character in the book
Elliott is fabulous :sparkles:
good special effects - when I heard it was on Syfy I got worried but so far the seams haven't really been showing on the VFX
the Beast is as terrifying in the show as he was in the book, and overall that's the most effective scene in the pilot

Bad:
lots of obvious plot contrivances to hurry things up
Julia should have detectived her way into the underground magic world, not meet a skeevy guy at her birthday party - it kinda reduces her agency, especially the unsettling scene where he undresses her. It's obvious afterwards that he was just doing it to provoke her into magic, but that doesn't help. I guess it's heavyhanded foreshadowing for later on, though. I hope that character was just there to get her into the world. also wondering how long it's going to take to get to FTB.
killing the dean this early seems like a mistake. It should have been one of the students! Maybe you give a random kid lines earlier, and then when the Beast shows up they try something, rather than the dean stepping in. I think that would've worked better. In the short term the immediate escalation to the dean's death is an effective moment, but I don't know that they fully thought it through.
Penny is not enough of an unlikable humorless smuggo. I expect that will ramp up in later episodes, I mean that's his whole loving character!
the heavy mytharc foreshadowing with Jane Chatwin

I'm reserving judgment until at least a few more episodes have aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU