Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Looks more like The Woods Between The Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
People in this thread are really, really bad at not spoiling poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't want to be a jerk, but I would really like to be able to talk about The Magicians this year -- and the Expanse, ideally -- without being massively spoiled for upcoming episodes.

So could people please, please, please make use of spoiler tags throughout this thread?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

It was pretty similar on Supernatural when Sam lost his soul. He was still 'Sam' with all his memories and such, but he was 100% amoral, completely lacking in empathy.

That seems fair -- it's the same person running both this show and that season of Supernatural.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Moogulus Caesar posted:

The fairy bargain thing hit me as being right out of Jonathan Strange And Mister Norrell, which was also given a pretty decent adaptation by the BBC last year. I think it might also be on US netflix?

Either way, well worth checking out. It's another +wizards one, this time set in Georgian England. Think Vanity Fair but +wizards.

Guy who did that is adapting The War Of The Worlds. Plus BBC's adapting The City and The City, and His Dark Materials. Good times for fantasy / sci-fi these days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's the same process she used on John's body (Renard's son) to make her god killing bullet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

How much stuff was affected by the wellspring and the plumber turning off magic? Our world and Fillory yes, but is the Library beyond that?

Where do the fairies exist relative to all this? And the Underworld? Is Fillory basically just another planet?

They says specifically in the episode that creatures that are inherently magical (faeries, dragons, gods) still have access to magic. Anyone who needed to draw on the wellspring to cast magic, so most of the cast, can no longer cast spells. Beings made of spell energy -- Niffin's, specifically -- are dying out.

The implication is that the wellspring in Fillory was actually the source of all magic, at least in this corner of the universe, and when the plumber turned off the mains he was severing the connection to the water. So, the Library, Earth and Fillory all draw their magic from the wellspring, and are consequently without it now.

Julia, on the other hand, seems to have accidentally found a separate font to draw her powers from, possibly due to what happened to her soul, or maybe her pregnancy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Trading away her ex-boyfriend's first-born to the faeries was pretty loving moronic.

Wait, you think Margot and Elliott dated?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ClassH posted:

Yea but those gods were important. Renard just seems like an escaped convict.

His mother ruled the afterlife. However much power Renard himself wielded ultimately wouldn't matter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the show's just good. Never understood why people would choose to mitigate their compliments in its case.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Fantastic episode. I really wish the first season didn't exist so I could just recommend this show to people, because it always has to come with the disclaimer of "the first season's poo poo, but you can probably skip it if you read the plot summaries on Wikipedia I guess."

Why would you do this? :(

Even if the first season isn't the greatest (and honestly I quite like it) the show's plot dense enough that you'd need the time to get attached to the cast before all the poo poo goes down early on.

Just recommend the show!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

That's why I don't recommend it at all.

I meant in Season Two -- Alice and Marina dying wouldn't have the same impact without the first season, nor the Julia stuff at the end

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mortanis posted:

Is Josh a permanent cast member this season or still only doing a handful of appearances? After last season he's almost contending for best character and I hope they keep that trend running.

IIRC, he and Fenn were upped to regulars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lupus Rufus posted:

re: First season being bad, I definitely agree. I know at least TWO people who stopped watching the show as a direct result of the episode where Quentin was trapped in a psychiatric hospital in his own mind because it was too triggering, and understandably so. And they didn't even get to Julia's supernatural sexual assault either.

Everything season 1 built up, was expanded upon way better in season 2, but season 1 really did have some pretty horrific moments that makes it a very hard show to recommend to anyone. And many of my friends have trauma related to the most horrific moments of season 1, so.... if I were to "recommend" them, I'd also drop major big time content warnings. and if I have to do that to recommend a show... well, recommending the show isn't something I can do in good conscience.

That being said, episode 1 of season 3 was a blast. Bunnies were great. That party was pretty interesting. And yeah, I like Josh quite a bit.

Uhm, you're talking about the show being difficult to watch, or offputting because of its subject matter, right? i.e. whether it's upsetting or not.

I think everyone else is talking about whether the first season is poorly crafted television or not. Different thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cochise posted:

Their teeth it seems. I guess tooth fairy poo poo?

And they took Fen's toes, right? Are they making something/someone?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, like, this is The Magicians. There's no guarantee that a group of desperate people wouldn't try to vivisect her to work out why her magic still works.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Quentin, though I admit that a large part of that stems from him being (one of?) the only bisexual male leads on television. Plus, the actor's funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

When is it established quentin is bisexual?

In addition to what's been suggested -- and I think the emotion bottles are a little less rohypnol than has been suggested -- there's some very strong subtext during Umber's dinner date last finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Renewed. Not that it was ever in any doubt, but woo!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

He is one, isn't he? He's just on one of those regular contracts that sets his appearances at less than the number of episodes in the season. Fairly common these days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's accusing him of being a camp as hell villain, basically.

Which is a bit rich given that it's coming from a one eyed fag hag and her BGF and fellow usurper king

(Remind me, Margot was a king, right? And Quentin and Alice were crowned queen?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Don't see the problem. Olivia was more fun as a redhead anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Season 1's great.

Honestly, of the three seasons out so far, the one that I think is the weakest is the second. The various different subplots (Renard, the niffin plot, the misfortunes of Penny, Fillory, ect.) never end up intersecting with, or informing, each other, and at least two of them end with barely any resolution at all. Most of the plots end up climaxing in episode 12, and then episode 13 wheels on a minor character and attempts to have them take centre stage in a way that doesn't totally satisfy.

I mean, I liked it pretty much a lot. But if you're looking for a weak season, it's the second. The structure is a mess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Is there really any reason for why they have to bring back magic? The fairy conflict is resolved and by using the keys they risk releasing some kind of monster into the world (which they absolutely will because they are all idiots and the season finale needs a cliffhanger). Is it really worth it to do some party tricks?

Margot and Eliot promised the Lorians and the Stone Mountain Clan that they'd return magic and train their peoples in its arts in exchange for the other two countries not invading Fillory.

That, and a lot of magicians in our world who rely on magic, and there's a risk to the continued existence of fairy kind should magic not return to the world.

Plus the Underworld is hosed over by the loss of magic (somehow), there are people stuck in the Neitherlands because of the sudden failure of magic, and returning magic to the world would help to break the Library's monopoly over power and knowledge.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bussamove posted:

And the loving bathtub that I'm still waiting to somehow be plot-relevant. I want to believe.

You missed the boat on that one -- Elliot and Margot gifted it to the people of Fillory in order to force faery kind out into the open. Happened back in episode 8 or 9.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought it all made a lot of sense. They've been building up the Library as the show's big bad for a while. I'm honestly surprised it's taken them this long to pull the trigger on them.

Fogg siding them makes a lot of sense too -- it's as Alice pointed out last week, Brakebills was always about regulating the use and knowledge of magic, and they were loving pathetic at it. Fogg's previously proven himself beaten down enough to accept whatever scraps get thrown his way (e.g. selling the school to the board of trustees) and the Library is going to let him continue on doing his old job, only in a what he hopes to be a more successful, effective way.

So we've got a season coming up where both Penny and Alice have drunk the Library's kool-aid, Julia, Quentin, Margot and Kady have been temporarily neutralised, Marina and Poppy are out there waiting to take advantage of the cast again and Fenn is stuck in charge of a barely controlled Narnia while Eliott is possessed by a hedonist. I think that's honestly really exciting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

The "we need two sets of keys/the door consumed the keys" thing seemed to be resolved by Quentin using the magic Alice game him to make the deal with the jailor to open the door. They never needed to use the keys to get in so they didn't have to worry about them getting "consumed." It was all very sloppy and rushed and kind of pointless, IMO.

It's two different things though? The plot hole with the keys, as depicted in the Tale of The Seven Keys, is another hint that their quest to return magic was contrived and manipulated by an outside force. (The demon in the musical episode pretty much spelt this one out.) Because if the keys were used once before to return magic to the world, and were destroyed in the process, how do they still exist?

The thing with the keys being destroyed in this episode was just drama.

(Oh and Penny40 will totally be back. They're just sticking him on the back burner for a few episodes, because they don't have room for him right now. Shows bench characters like that all the time.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Although it seems like The Magicians hasn't fallen into this hole yet, they did make it a point that the Librarian never leaves the library and yet we see her at Brakebills talking to Fogg. I can only imagine how much she hated doing that.

I thought Fogg had travelled to the Library. It looked like the Library to me.

quote:

Also if Gods are supposed to make worlds... why was Fillory built on top of an already existing world?

I guess it's like shaping a sculpture but not making the plinth it stands on? You still made that sculpture, there's just other stuff it's using as a base.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I forget if they ever explained how dad got magic cancer but if they didn't, I'm sure they'll give him the cancer back next season and have it be some crazy twist who gave it to him and why they're still allowed magic despite the rationing.

I would also like to know why his father has magic cancer.

I remember them trying to cure his cancer using magic, back in season 1, but not that magic was what was causing his cancer in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Additionally, they might have thought more about the way the show used suicide in previous seasons, and decided they needed to make up for their cavalier representation.

Seeing depictions of the act can be triggering, even if they're not as loving as 13 Reasons Why.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Do they ever deal with Reynard in a satisfying manner in s3? The way it wrapped up in 2 was some horribly written bullshit and has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the show. Just a vague yes or no answer is fine.

It's ongoing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lupus Rufus posted:

edit: I just noticed Elliot's book is the only one on the list of "removed from circulation" books that says "Vol. 1". That's... not ominous.

He's got two volumes, I think they established that way back in Season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that scene at the end was the happiest they’ve showed Margo all series, and they only let her have it for like a minute.

She's an excellent actor. I was really impressed by the choice to just focus on her face during that scene.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK I just started watching the current season and I am super duper confused about what's going on. I've seen the other seasons but I just don't really remember much. I'm vaguely reminded that they are currently in a different timeline because I think Marina is dead in our timeline (well, she ded in both now) and I thought Penny was as well. This is the timeline where Quentin was the Beast right? What happened to the original timeline again?

Nope. They're still in the same timeline. Marina and Penny jumped ship from Timeline 23 to the current one.

Also, no way would they kill Marina offscreen, given how much trouble the show went to in order to get her back onto the show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who are the McCallisters again and why are they so special that they apparently don't have magic rationed?

They're an old family of abusive fuckwads who still had magic last season (even though everyone else didn't) because they were enslaving and then snorting fairies. They teamed up with the Library to help her magic back, because the Library needed their supply of dead slaves. The Library gives them unlimited magical supplies as part of their binding agreement.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of magic rationing, does whatever the Library is doing affect all worlds and timelines or just Earth? Or in other words can they do magic in Fillory? Do gods also have magic rationed?

The magic rationing only affects this one timeline -- IIRC it still existed in timeline 23 -- it's not clear if the Library can travel to other timelines, but they're certainly aware of them. The Library has effectively damned and then syphoned off the font of all magic, that supplied magic to all lands and all species, and they're using that to standardise the universe.

Gods don't have their magic rationed, nor do certain kinds of magical creature (like fairies, dragons, lamprey, etc.) and some magical objects have been demonstrated to retain their charge (the batteries, the keys). They all maintain their magic independently.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What ever happened with the elves from last season?

They set up home in Fillory, where they're now a protected species. We'll probably see them again.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 18, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect she also feels fairly guilty over what she forced him to do there, hence her willingness to offer him a different out here.

It's not like she didn't realise she was being a hypocrite when she forced him to kill his best god friend so she wouldn't have to kill her best friend.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Svensken posted:

Doesn't this just mean that, come next werewolf moon phase, they'll both have to kill someone?

It's a once every thirty years thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Have I missed any intersection of The Library and Darth Elliot? Dialogue about him or anybody working parallel to, or counter to the physical kids? Because he seems like exactly the sort of thing that they should be concerned about if they're going to be keeping their thumb on who can do what kind of magic.

I ask, not just from a nerdy "Why didn't they fly Eagles to Mordor" angle, but because it's starting to needle me that the bigger stories this season seem to be operating independently of each other and that seems like something that would normally be intentional.

They're connected, but they've not made it explicit yet.

The creature hates the gods of the Greek pantheon (Iris, Baccus, etc.) and the Hades is a silent partner in the running of the Library, and Cassandra (or some god-like equivalent) works in their basement.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I forgot alt Josh's name within seconds of it being introduced too.

He's the only one I can remember, but only because they said it about fifty times.

I'd probably recognise Penny 23's alt name if I heard it, but that's probably it. It wasn't a very significant plotline.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's just an arsehole, and it'll have turned out to have made a deal to give up its forgotten knowledge in the first place.

Though the fact that all those organs somehow make up a body kinda puts the kibosh on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mycomancy posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the Monster is Prometheus, but instead of fire he brought magic to mankind, and thus was imprisoned for eternity.

If that's the case, then Julia's probably turning into another creature too.