Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

GreenNight posted:

Magical semen is very important. Just swallow it already.

My roommate made egg nog and labeled a jar "Largess".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Lupus Rufus posted:

So did anyone else have a lot of problems watching that psych ward episode in season 1?? That poo poo hosed up some of my friends and they quit watching after that. I totally get it tho.

Honestly, Quentin's plot in that episode felt like one of those bullshit holodeck episodes of Star Trek and I didn't really care for that episode. Unless you're talking about the deliberately super-racist Penny, which yeah, that was weird. I guess the best thing I can say about this show is that it's self-aware more often than it's not.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

coyo7e posted:

Naw, I'm not into blondes but that nerdy librarian chic in all of Alice's outfits, is super hot.

Y'all as horney as the Overwatch threads.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I really appreciate that Quentin is the shittiest, most useless person on this or any world. I... may have gotten a dirty look from my roommate for laughing at his desperate begging in the carriage. I... may have identified with that a little too personally.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Harrow posted:

I really expected they were going to save the showdown with the Beast for the season finale, so this has been a surprising first part of the season.

I'm not entirely sure he's dead, at least as far as the show is concerned. They made a point of lingering on the shot of that blue moth escaping and Alice very much not setting it on fire. It feels like they at least have a phylactery seeded if they want to bring him back.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Isn't that the point though, that Quentin is a schlubby doofus and about as far afield from a proper protagonist as any random audience member. He fails constantly, he's not good at anything. The Magicians is about calling out the "Wizard School" narrative for propping up a generation on the idea that they're all special heroes. It reminds us that we're all Quentin in the end -- useless, petty, and clinging to a childhood that would have been better off left far behind.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Every time Q reminds me that he's the worst human on the planet, I take a moment to remember that portrayal is almost beat for beat how I think about myself when I'm dealing with poo poo.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Characters like Prince S and the Cock Barrens make me wonder how many levels of irony I'm supposed to be on to get the best experience.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Niffin-Alice is definitely giving Harvey / Head-Scorpius a run for best mentally-projected character in a show on a science fiction network. Sorry, not sorry, Head-Six, your plan was dumb and I don't want to watch Baltar jerk it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

coyo7e posted:

Yeah slow down there fireball, you got a hell of a lot out of like 5 or 10 minutes of airtime.

Fair play, allow me to amend: first appearance of a mentally projected character. Also, Olivia Taylor Dudley. My fireball is fully engorged.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

muscles like this! posted:

Is it my feed or are the commercial breaks really abrupt tonight?

I'm watching on Charter Cable from St Louis and, yeah, it seems a second or so early, yeah.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I hope The City and The City turns out good. I'm surprised Mieville is even letting them adapt it. I know it will never happen, and I'm not sure it ever could, but I want to see Bas-Lag so much.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My read of the "Millenials" line was that the dragon has seen multiple millenia come and go. :thejoke:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Lev Grossman just tweeted that Season 3 has been greenlit. Yay!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Tunicate posted:

-Is Quinton supposed to be totally insufferable?

-Actually, I'm really not sure about how much time has passed by episode 7 - I don't remember any mention of a winter holiday break (unless hanging out with that russian rear end in a top hat counts) so is it still the first semester?

-Was brakebills originally a highschool or undergrad instead of a grad school?

I can offer an answer to these:
-Yes, Quinton is basically the most useless person on this or any plane of reality. If you identify with him, either because you think you're the chosen one, or you're also cripplingly self-hating, that's the point.

-The timescale is a little funky as a result of the adaptation, since the first book comprised four years.

-Book Brakebills was originally a high school, yes. I think the change is well made, but you're welcome to your own opinion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
That episode was cool and good. Quinton is the worst.

E: Does anybody have that guitar riff from the end?

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 20, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Pre-purchased on Google Play. Very excited for uncommonly attractive people making bad decisions.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Ugh. Episode didn't unlock on Google Play until after I went to bed last night. Well, I'll watch it first thing after work today.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Finished the episode and really enjoyed it. I think the stuff with Julia and Q was the high point for me. They haven't gotten to spend much time on screen for characters that knew each other for so long, and I think they had natural chemistry as very old, often troubled, friends. The "pop culture cipher" conversation was pretty good, but I'm also glad to see that the Marlee Matlin came back for the subtitled ASL scenes with Kady. God I'm hype for this season.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Ccs posted:

Wasn't the first season based more on the books and the second season sort of did its own thing?

I like the books, especially the first and third. The mental hospital bit doens't exist in the books though and all the horrific stuff with Julia is in book 2.

Yeah, the first season follows the books more closely, but obviously the structure of the books meant that they couldn't really stay there very long.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Her cat was sick.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Rocksicles posted:

But they didn't, they went through a door.

Yeah, we already had three plots split between summoning Asteroth, resolving the Lamprey, and the pirates on the Muntjac. Where that door went will obviously matter, just not tonight.

I’m curious. If I remember the books right Quentin’s specialty is the magic worked on very small things. If we’re reminded of his Dad’s cancer too, maybe he’ll cure it?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
FFFUUUCCCKKK..... Last week dragged but this week was nuts.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Woden posted:

The Expanse has the exact same problem, a leader who is a cat herding paladin that hates fun.

Magicians seems to have figured that out this season. “As a man born in 1902, I relate with the white male protagonist,” and all. But it would be nice for them now to figure out something do with Quentin “the most useless person on this or any world” Coldwater.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
In a weird way, that episode makes me wish the show were less serialized. I’d love to show that one episode to someone and say “this is what this show can do, juxtaposed with all the sophomoric stuff.” But then half the episode is multi season arcs. I guess it’s more something I’ve been thinking about than a real criticism. I’m gonna go have a cry.

Also, next week is Felicia Day... which is a decision I’d normally take a swipe at don’t want to do much right now.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If we get a Season 4, maybe we can get a side episode of just Elliott and Quentin giving the mosaic a break and going off to do some other Fillory hijinks.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

cochise posted:

I smell an Emmy. :unsmith:

If at least one episode this season doesn’t get nominated, I will be sorely disappointed

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Spanish Matlock posted:

The best thing was that it wasn't totally silent, you could hear her footsteps, I'd assume because she'd feel the vibration?

Probably part that and part so that folks didn't think something was off with the broadcast. Goofuses confused by that sequence in Last Jedi aside, it would have been a long segment to run totally silent.

By the way, did anyone catch the ASL for 'Fillory'? I didn't see it spelled out, so I'm curious how they rendered it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were a magician and magic went away, I would legit probably just kill myself.

With so much of the stories being about depression, I understand if they don’t want to show a bunch of characters just choosing death. (Even complicated by the fact that presumably they know the Underworld exists.) But one has to presume that was an option a lot of people took.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's more a send-up of Narnia than it is legitimate Narnia. Like every time some Narnia like thing happens it's coupled with something hilarious, dumb, hosed up or often all three. (When it's dumb, the characters know it's dumb, it's not unintentional).

Also the characters also grow, a lot. They don't stay where they start.

Fillory was originally supposed to be Narnia but Grossman changed it so he could do more stuff without being beholden to being a work of parody

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just looked up the title for this week's episode.... hoo boy. Was there a preview anywhere?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Fenn has had some high points this season for sure. I wonder if she’s not going to end up ruling Fillory, or die trying of course. Other than that though, this episode kind of felt like a breather after the last couple and before the season wraps. But I did like Hades’ “magic is a carrot” speech, and the set up for other worlds to move on to.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bussamove posted:

Goddamn Margo just cannot keep both eyes in any timeline can she.

Damnit you're right, now I'm going to have to rewatch to see if it was the same one or not.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I don't think we'll meet who but when the queen told her "It's a fairy eye," I'm 100% convinced there's a freshly one-eyed fairy.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Knowing the ending of the books, there were some things in this episode that I suspect were written the way they were so this could have been the series finale if they didn't get renewed. That and/or they wanted to tease and reference the books for the sake of the episode.

I'm okay with Penny-23, but I suspect that Penny-40 will show up again, eventually, and probably with Hades in tow. I wonder though if we'll see any non-Greco-Roman dieties, be nice if they weren't entirely Eurocentric.

I thought the episode did some cool segments, and of course I'll be back first thing next season, but I was kind of hoping for a monster that isn't just "A guy with glowing eyes." Oh well, cable budget I guess.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
https://twitter.com/ArjunGuptaBK/status/983370137712635904

Arjun Gupta announced his engagement today :3:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Well, he was also there because even if fixing magic didn't kill his dad, Q was planning to martyr himself to be the new jailer for The Thing That Wants. I'm not going to say his depressive tendencies aren't relatable though. It's a weird sort of fantasy that indulges that complex.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So I just got a notice about a "Wizards and Wands Bar Crawl" for Harry Potter fans happening soon near me. I... may have bought myself a Brakebills tee shirt and am tempted to go.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Nihonniboku posted:

Official, pay for a wristband, bar crawls are almost never worth it. The bars are far more crowded than usual, it takes forever to get a drink, and unless you're getting straight liquor, wine, or beer, any cocktail you get is going to be watered down. Just go drinking on your own time.

Well, yeah, it's be sure to be miserable. But going in-character as a Brakebills alum around a bunch of Harry Potter fangirls has a certain cachet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
EDIT: I'm not actually going to do any of that. I'm not actually that much a goon.