Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Honest question: am I meant to like Quentin at this point in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oasx posted:

They seem to be planning to stretch Julia's story to two seasons based on how slow it is going.

Good, Julia's story is the best bit of the show.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
A mate knows I low-key like Harry Potter a lot, he put the first 2 episodes of this on when we were high and I was only half watching but it seemed pretty good? The dude getting sucked in because he was a big fan of the Narnia books and that then being the basis for a mystery story/wider plot seems like a really good conceit, but none of the cast seemed to know what they were doing at all and I kind of dislike all of them except the tall camp guy and the posh english deans assistant that I assume is one of the kids that went to Narnia?

If I'm looking for a laptop-on-the-bed-before-sleeping show is this worth giving a go? Main thing is do the actors get told who the characters they're playing are at some point.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

eke out posted:

my recollection is that over the course of the first season it went from "okay" to "actually this is pretty good?" and then after that it's legit good

all the characterization definitely gets a lot better

Had it on the background all day today doing some data entry, looked up to watch Julie steal some filing cabinets of spells but then her mate just oozed blood everywhere and that was surprisingly cool and brutal so gonna watch it all again properly.

From half-watching up to whatever episode that is though, Quentin is likeable enough but I don't know if he's meant to be hapless or a prodigy it seems to vacillate wildly between scenes. I don't buy Alice at all she seems to be both a diligent student learning all the time but then the show tells me she already knows it all and there's apparently no point her being there besides brother drama, seems dumb. Penny is an unlikeable knobhead without a cause, feels like a plot/scene drama device more than a character. I like the bitchy hedge witch but she's not really a compelling villain when they've already shown the moth dude exists. Elliot is good, obviously kind of a 'this is how brakebills works' device but I still like him.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ThePagey posted:

If you're still going around 100% would appreciate hearing your take as a you keep going. I'm desperately looking for a friend to sit down and watch the series through again with me before S5 drops in a few months.

I think a lot of your takes are pretty on-point for season 1, and are super intentional (maybe not at the time, but they certainly used that extremely effectively) given how the show's thesis is functionally entirely about them all growing up.

Penny especially. Like--all of them, but Penny especially.

I just finished the episode where Penny has a tree growing inside his stab wound and Quentin and Alice properly get together.

The ice castle could have carried another episode and it felt wasted, Quentin and Alice having this fake drama fox-pheromone-so-is-it-real? stuff was just dumb, they're both beyond normal TV hot and the plot had built a believable connection between them so why soap opera it out, especially when it took time away from the faux-nihilist vodka guy that was the only compelling teacher so far.

Penny seemed to briefly be getting fun when he splashed into that classroom but then he went right back to boring arsehole, all the growth he got at the ice castle is just being ignored, I want to like him but the show is pushing this Virgin Quentin vs Chad Penny so hard when the best scenes for both characters are the ones that show that dynamic isn't real.

Julia going to the mundane rehab place for implicit magic addiction and the chaplain guy that knows magic is real but is putting his own spin on the understanding of it is good it's the first time I've really found her plot interesting.

Elliot is very much carrying the show for me though. His relationship with the blonde dude that he ended up just murking felt very real, like the Elliot character story was always building to him dropping the performatism and finding someone he genuinely cares about, and then having to just kill the guy, it was genuinely good drama and a proper character moment, I'm curious to see how he handles it going forward.

Posh english lady murked surprised me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Eltoasto posted:

Elliott and Margo carried season 1 for me. It's about to get real interesting though.

Margo still feels like a handbag that speaks but yeah the Elliott scenes have been boom. Especially once he got with the blonde guy, the scenes of them being comfortable in bed together really sold the relationship with only a few scant seconds of screentime, there was an easy intimacy there that I think lots of shows would shy away from, and then it led to Elliott being brutal stark. It was good character stuff, and I like Elliott even more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bussamove posted:

If you’re unhappy because it seems like Penny isn’t getting any character growth, I strongly encourage you to keep watching because he has the best arc out of the entire cast.

"You can't possibly want to be a dick more than you want to live," the show is self-aware about Penny at least.