Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

geeves posted:

The writers don't even know.
I havent read the books, and I got the impression that the writers havent either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Oroborus posted:

I guess this episode did provide what others have asked for to a degree, the hedgewitch girl has started turning tricks for magic.
Pretty depressing. :(

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches.
Its class status on a pedestal. The entire setting assumes that east coast ivy league status is a Very Real Important Thing.

Obviously by being refused we are supposed to discard her as a useless druggie whore, the way she did herself. Its so deep man!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Its fantasy-world not ivy-league-hipsters but The Black Magician Trilogy is another fast-read magic school series:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Magician_%28novel_series%29

She also wrote a trilogy about "learning magic" that had to do with "what are the gods anyways" kind of themes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Five

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Is a depressed hipster a depresster?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Botnit posted:

Lev Grossman being an Ivy Leaguer and instead of working it into every conversation he has like normal he decided to make a whole book out of it. Then two more.
And the Center Of The World is New York.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Brakebills is the only magic school in the entire country/continent? That is the dumbest thing about the setting so far. With the number of hedge witches we've seen just in this one city, there must be significantly more of them in the world than actual magicians. There seem to be about as many young hedge witches in New York as there are students at Brakebills. How many must there be across the rest of the country? And how is magic kept secret from the general populace when so many people know about it?

How is there not a massive network of hedge witches though? The internet exists. In fact, you can Google real, working spells. There should be forums and reddit groups dedicated to hedge witches sharing their spells. And are there no real magicians feeding spells to them? Like, no underachieving magician who wants to feel like a superstar meeting up with hedge witches to show off and have them fawn over him?
Youre messing up someones New York centric ivy league fantasy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
They should have stretched out the time in Antarctica.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

the pointless Elliot
Yeah, was there a point to that at all? Does it matter in any way that some dude made out with a door knob and a background character goes to a party?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I guess the best comparison I can think of is that a more accurate adaption would have been Girls with magic, and that sounds like the worst show in the world

:drat:

:agreed:

One terrible show that would have been better with Magic was Weeds.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Imagine the kind of damage Nancy could have done to everyone and anyone who ever loved or even met her if she had magic at her disposal instead of just the power of being a hot lady suffering a midlife crisis.
At least there would be more pretty lightshows.

Also the younger kid would have been waaaay scarier.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

coyo7e posted:

More like At Least He's Medicating.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
People that like this show look down on Lost Girl and Lexx?

:psyduck:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I think I was the only person to mention Lexx, and I unironically love how loving weird and gross and crazy it gets. It's just that you can't deny that it's oversexed as gently caress.

e: To be clear, I'm not saying being oversexed is a bad thing (it's part of the show's :catdrugs: charm), I was just stating it as a fact. Lexx is probably the most oversexed show I've ever seen and it is amazing.

Agreed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mastajake posted:

Which is why I didn't blink when they (early book 3 spoilers) hired Quentin.

:doh:

I should not have read that.

:suicide:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Well the big difference is that in the books Quentin is actually a really good magician, instead of the middling one on the show.

So Alice and Penny and Elliot arent all better than him? He definitely seems like a second-stringer at best.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

shadok posted:

Alice > Eliot > Quentin > Penny.

In the books, Penny is good - he aces the entrance exam easily where Quentin struggles. But after the first semester, Alice, Quentin and Penny are given an opportunity to complete First Year early and join the Second Year class. Alice and Quentin pass, Penny does not (this is the source of Penny's resentment of Quentin in the books; show-Penny is just kind of a dick, although the "hearing voices constantly" stuff offsets it a bit).

Alice is a strong natural talent who is also a compulsively hard worker. Eliot is just as he is on the show, a brilliantly quick study who affects a public persona of never really making a lot of effort.

Cool, thanks. :)

Odds are I will not (make) have time (or enough interest to get the story in two versions) for these.

Penny still has the advantage of a (semi-)unique inborn set of tricks though that the others (essentially) cant match?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot which episode had the Djinn but how did he get summoned into the school with all the wards up and poo poo? I'm pretty sure this happened after the episode where they made it a point to say that the wards prevent everything from coming in and that's why they had to lower them to save Quentin.
This show (and probably books) have no internal consistency at all. The metaphysics of harry potter look like a deep doctoral dissertation compared to this thing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

It all came off as pretty elitist and dickish to me
Jolly Old England!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Man you really weird kidding.

Bobatron posted:

I kind of thought that it was implied in the books that magic sort of comes out of human suffering and extreme intelligence. Which explains why nobody is happy and everyone is a dick because if you were happy you wouldn't need magic/be magical.

Has anyone ever interviewed the trainwreck that must be GrossMan? [edit: yes!] Is he a survivor of one of those New York jewish pedo-cults that made it into the new the last few years, or a free-will self-made "magical" rape monster?

"Rape and suffering makes you magical!"

"Taking in semen makes you a young god!"

:wth:

"Childhood fantasy books get you raped by adults."

"Praying to gods gets you raped by monsters."

Like this poo poo is ripe for an analyst.

From the author:

quote:

It’s true, and it’s horrible, the way I’ve soiled these wonderful utopian visions with reality. The problem with them is that, 70 or 80 years down the line, they’re just not convincing. They just didn’t feel real to me. I guess I just didn’t believe in them anymore. But I wanted to believe in them! So I felt that I had to bring to them all this stuff that I was so conscious was being airbrushed out of them.

quote:

When you’re depressed, when you’re in bed and feel like you can’t get out, you can’t imagine doing work or accomplishing anything or anybody loving you. So when you look around you and you see these things happening to other people, they look like magic to you. They look that exotic, that strange, that impossible. And when you begin to crawl out of the pit and reengage with the world, it seems very magical. It felt as though getting out of bed yesterday was impossible, but now you’re doing it. Just by returning to daily life, you’re a magician.

quote:

“That’s my emotional life you see in the books.”

quote:

Shortly after that I switched to a different SSRI called Lexapro. I liked the sound of that. After all I’m a writer. A professional writer. I’m a lexical pro. Lexapro!

I think deconstructing the author is more interesting than the "depression and rape make you a wizard" story itself (from the show at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mortanis posted:

He's pretty high up as a writer at TIME. Does that count?
*places final piece in jigsaw puzzle*

*looks up, eyes wide, expression full of fear*