Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, that was an interesting season finale. Overall I enjoyed the show, not as much as I would have liked, but for an extremely low budget Syfy show, they pulled it off.

- Looks like budget constraints not only gave us a low rent Fillory, and human forms of Ember and Reynard the Fox instead of the likely quite costly CG versions that the books described. And they pretty much gutted the whole adventure through the labyrinth, and what should have been epic boss battle.
- They went there with Julia's rape after all. For a second there I thought they were going to just gloss over that whole storyline. Janet is alive? And, is Julia pregnant? Or was that vaginal secretion just part of her transformation into a demi-goddess?
- Why did they bother to include Josh if he was just going to show up for 2 episodes, and do absolutely nothing?
- Penny lost his hands just like in the books! I'm looking forward to his magical replacement hands next season.
- They described Eliot as becoming the High King, but does this not mean that that Margot, Quentin, and Julia won't be up there with him? Did they give his wife a name? And I'm pretty bummed out that he can't ever get with anybody else ever again. They presented a fully realized gay character on the show, and they just deny him his sexuality just like that. I hope they have something good planned for this storyline.
- Alice didn't become a niffen, so she'll definitely be around next season.
- With the Beast still alive, I expect that they're veering in a whole new direction next season, given that half the book (Julia's story) was brought forward to this season, and the other half is the Kings and Queens of Fillory exploring their kingdom.

Here's to hoping that Syfy gives the show a bigger budget next season.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Well, High King sort of makes sense"

I laughed way too hard at that.

I... I completely missed that joke.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Oasx posted:

This was definitely the best part of an overall bad season, though it did significantly improve over time.

Once they stopped trying to show daily life at Brakebills, (which they really hosed up, it looked like a community college rather than a great school of magic), things really stepped up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Harrow posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't go niffin with Alice after introducing the concept earlier in the season.

Well, they haven't killed the Beast yet either, and I recall she turned into a Niffen in the process of killing the Beast right?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

From everything posted about the source material previously the books sound like Grade A garbage.

I don't know, I had a lot of fun with the books.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

karrethuun posted:

Counterpoint, the TV series is way better than the books.

That's an odd thing to say. I mean, the guys are way hotter in the show than I imagined them to be when I first read the books. But that's an odd thing to say.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Um, that was a fantastic season premiere. While I enjoyed season 1, it was a big old mess. I'm thinking that they'll continue to deviate wildly from the books, and I'm looking forward to see where they take us.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lupus Rufus posted:

So did anyone else have a lot of problems watching that psych ward episode in season 1?? That poo poo hosed up some of my friends and they quit watching after that. I totally get it tho.

That was the result of 2 major problems with the first season: 1) having story of the week episodes, when this is NOT that show 2) trying too hard to integrate Julia with the rest of the crew so early on.

Other problems: 3) making Penny absurdly overpowered, although I suppose they'll undercut that with the loss of his powers this season 4) trying too hard to integrate Fillory into the plot too early on, ie the Beast trying to attack via Eliot's boyfriend etc, the reveal of Fillory being real was supposed to be a huge shock 5) Making Brakebills seem like a huge university, when it was really just like 100 students in a crazy mansion 6) not really showing how dirty and raw Julia's journey was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Y'all as horney as the Overwatch threads.

If you think this is bad, you should have been there for the Modern Family threads when it was still good like 6 years ago. Pages and pages and pages of posts fawning over how "hot" Haley was, who was like 16 at the time. It was gross and creepy.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I'm all for calling out objectification and all that but if you're watching Magicians and its not at least PARTLY for the overt sexuality of the show then I'm not exactly sure what you're watching for. Its like saying its not cool to call out Fillory for being a tongue in cheek, hosed up Narnia ripoff.

This show isn't reaching for higher things.

The guys on the show are all absurdly hot, and I think I might have audibly cheered when we got a quick glimpse of Penny's rear end this week. As a gay man, I've noticed how rare it is to see any male nudity on television, compared to the abundance of female nudity.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Azhais posted:

Not knowing who this was I looked it up, she was 19 when Modern Family debuted. hth with any residual guilt you have over reading the thread

You're right. She was playing like a 15 year old though, which made the whole thing very ambiguous. I think what made it weird as gently caress was just how it went on for pages and pages.

Rhyno posted:

Quentin is the only one not super pretty on this show.

He's maybe the least attractive of the 3 lead guys, but he's still extremely attractive.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLOSifl posted:

How about The Magicians: And You Thought Modern Family Was Hot

This makes me chuckle.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, it sounds like they're setting things back on track a bit with the books.

But good god, have the first two episodes this season just been a delight after the mostly mess of a first season. It's like they actually learned their lessons, and went with their strengths.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

The beast has a great voice.

Fillory is a Flat Earth!!!!!!!!

In the books, they travel to the edge of Fillory, and then walk over to the other side. Later on they discover a door that goes directly to the other side without traveling to the edge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

What's on the other side?

If I remember correctly just like a dark Fillory, and the castle of the goat god (Umber or Ember, I can't remember which) who isn't as dead as everyone thinks. Not that it really matters in this show given how loose they are playing with the books.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good summary writeup or video of S1? Asking for a friend who doesn't remember most of what's happened in it so all the references in the new season doesn't really make sense to me.

Its me I'm the friend.

Here's a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8RzV10-GU4

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It almost feels like they wrote a script, filmed it, then wrote the next one, filmed it, and so on, rather than writing the whole season at once, and then filming it.

I say that because it feels like they're trying to tie up loose ends... that they set up last week... before they move on with the story. If they're really wrapping up this whole "The Beast cursed the thrones of Fillory" this quickly, then perhaps they should have just gone back and cut out this subplot entirely?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Except it was a lot of fun?

You're right, it was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So... Alice... she became a Niffen, and now she's dead?

Book discussion: In the preview they show Quentin going on the hunt to try and wish for Alice to be brought back to life. I guess she isn't going to spend the next couple of seasons exploring the universe as an all powerful all knowing being? Or maybe she'll be doing that in the afterlife while she is dead, and then when she's brought back to life, that's when she'll get angry at Quentin for bringing her back to life?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Smashurbanipal posted:

So is Alice going to be gone for one episode and then deniffinized? Gonna be a major departure, but I don't see them waiting a season or two.

Book spoilers: They've indicated that they are going to explore what the afterlife is this season in the show. I'm not sure if that is in regards to bringing Alice back to life, who was never really dead in the books, just exploring the universe through space and time as an all powerful niffen, or if they mean Julia who in the books actually died in her encounter with Reynard but didn't know it and becomes elevated to a demigoddess after they explore the underworld. Or both.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

bull3964 posted:

Only Elliot can have sex in two worlds at once.

It reminded me a lot of Sense 8. I was okay with it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The best part of the show is Penny's magnificent chest. If this was a lesser show, they would have made him shave it at the very least.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Femur posted:

Eliot is alright through. Still think Julia deserves to die, how many people has she killed on her quest for power.

Yeah, I'm not one to be a stickler about 100% accuracy in adapting books to screen. But they just really have Julia all wrong in the show, where they've made her vindictive and loyal to absolutely nobody but her own quest for power. In the books she becomsshe only became even somewhat like that AFTER her encounter with Reynard. By making this her personality from day one, she is completely unchanged by her encounter (and the loss of her shade). It only changes her focus of obsession. Further, in the books she was close friends with the group of people who she tried to summon a God with. Their death hit particularly close to home for her. She wasn't just trying to avenge the death of some random hedge witches who she had never met before.

Penny they've greatly improved, although show Penny is too overpowered, and by making him a traveler, they really undo the novelty of being able to travel to other worlds. In the books he was more or less simply Quentin's rival at Brakebills.

Margot (Janet) they've also improved, where in the books she was just Eliot's sidekick.

Eliot they more or less have right.

And Josh. Why did they even bother to include him at all?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Both versions of Julia's story are super hosed up and dumb. There's some point about enduring a river of poo poo to get power after being locked out by the gatekeepers but The Magicians does an incredibly poor job.

Maybe I'm misremembering things because it's been a few years since I read the second book, but what I remember about Julia before her encounter with Reynard, she was tenacious, but not vindictive. She was ambitious, talented, and creative. She made genuine relationships with people. For the first time in the books, there was someone that you could really root for! It seemed like she had finally gotten her happy ending, a group of people who really understood her, and they were actually going to do it! They were going to summon a god, how exciting! And then Reynard comes, and it's like, oh, no, what is this, what the hell is happening, this is horrible? She's getting raped by a 20 foot tall fox amongst all the blood and gore of her friends? No no no no no.

The show turned her into someone who had no qualms about mutilating a dead body. Someone who had no qualms about becoming a thief. Then when her supposed best friend Quentin gets mad at her for stealing from him and he warns her about the dangerous stuff she is getting herself into, out of vengeance, she had no qualms about placing a spell on her best friend to make him think he is actually insane, locking him inside the prison of his own mind for the rest of his life, and potentially killing him. She then turns to thievery again, only to accidentally kill Kady's mother in the process. But none of that slowed her down. She doesn't care about who she has to step on to get ahead.

It almost seems like they came up with the tagline of "magic is a drug" during the pitch meeting for the show, and the SyFy executives LOVED it. They wrote the outline of the first season, and the executives were like, "yeah that's great and all, but where do you talk about magic is a drug thing? We LOVE that." So the producers decided, "Oh, um, yeah. Julia, she is like a crazed heroin addict. She'll steal from her loved ones and screw them over, and even kill people to get her fix."

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 19, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sophism posted:

We must have watched different shows, because the one you saw paints Julia as nothing more than a power-hungry madwoman.

Especially the part on how she had no qualms about the Asylum episode. Every step of the way she was extremely reluctant to follow through, and it's made pretty clear that if Marina had actually explained what it entailed, she'd never have taken part in it. And at the end of the episode, she sacrificed the rapport she had built with Marina's coven in an effort to fix what they had done to him.

I guess I was wrong to say no qualms. She did all those terrible things with tears in her eyes, and continued on anyway.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

For some reason Syfy did exactly the same thing with The Expanse, they're currently still wrapping up the first book.

With the Magicians, I understand. There are only 3 books of material, so if they want to have 6 or 7 seasons, I understand why they've introduced so much filler.

But for the Expanse, there are 6 novels out so far, for a planned 9. 3 trilogies more or less. While I'm very happy with what they're doing with that so far, either they're eventually going to have to speed things way the gently caress up, or they're simply not going to finish the story. I don't see the show lasting 15 seasons.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 23, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Edit: oops.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lol, for a second I thought my stream had hosed up.

Me too!

God, even the stupidest episodes of this show are still a lot of fun.

And it's continually interesting how they incorporate elements from all 3 of the books in different and unexpected ways.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The more ridiculous this show gets, the more I love it. At this point they haven't touched on anything at all from the books in several episodes, and I'm completely fine with that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mortanis posted:

I really enjoyed Josh's montage of smoking up and kicking over the thrones. Actually, everything Josh this episode. Is he sticking around as a semi-main character now?

He was a main character in the books from the very beginning, so I hope he becomes part of the gang now.

I also want them to do more with that really cute guy in the Physical Kids House who Eliot and Margot don't care for.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yes, it was a magical undergrad, not high school. But it was still a lot smaller than this sprawling campus they have in the show. And I think the Physical Kids Cabin was really just that core group, it wasn't some massive fraternity house as in the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, they're kind of all over the books right now, hitting some of the broad strokes, with mostly forging ahead on their own. We can't really use the books to predict what's going to happen anymore.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

enraged_camel posted:

Trading away her ex-boyfriend's first-born to the faeries was pretty loving moronic.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, they have a codependent intimate relationship and they hosed.

We don't even know that they hosed. They were in a drunken threeway with Quentin. Who knows who was touching whose parts.

And even still, one drunken loving between a gay guy and his best gal pal does not constitute dating.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I did a thing posted:

The books are legit. :whatup:

The show is good so far. Only on season 1.

I love the books.

The show gets good when it veers off the path from the books.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It's bad in a good way. Season 1 it took itself too seriously, but season 2 it seemed much more self aware, and is now an absolute blast to watch. Maybe some day I'd like to see a big budget adaptation of the book more closely following the plot of the books, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with this really weird and fun TV adaptation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

"Oh, I am ready to go FULL ON '07 Britney!"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I think the VMA performance is more infamous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDlSRgyxMc

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Season 2 is on Netflix.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ccs posted:

So is Alice not a niffin anymore because magic disappeared?

Are spoilers necessary for story events that aired a year ago?

They reunited her with her soul. So yeah, Alice is no longer an all powerful niffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

How long will this quest take?

... a season.

That was brilliant.

mastershakeman posted:

speaking of which, have we seen the woman talking to fogg before or was she new?

she new