Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

:siren: SPECIAL COMMERCIAL FREE PREVIEW TONIGHT 12/16 at 10/9c :siren:
regular series start January 25th with the first two episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BQrvNI1t0

Based on the book trilogy by Lev Grossman (The Magicians, The Magician King, The Magicians Land) The Magicians is a mix of Harry Potter, Narnia and Less Than Zero the series follows a young man named Quentin Coldwater who learns magic is real when he is accepted into Brakebills College of Magical Pedagogy. Unlike Harry Potter where magic is cast by waving a wand and saying some Latin in The Magicians magic is only learned through brutal hard work and memorization. The Narnia comparison comes from a book series that Quentin is obsessed with, Fillory and Further, which has a surprising connection to the world of magic. The first season is 12 episodes.

Cast:
Jason Ralph as Quentin Coldwater: a brilliant but antisocial grad student and protagonist.

Olivia Taylor Dudley as Alice Quinn: a brilliant magician and friend of Quentin's whose parents are magicians and who comes from a neglected home life.

Stella Maeve as Julia: Quentin's childhood friend, a beautiful and brilliant Ivy Leaguer

Hale Appleman as Elliot: a preppy, self-possessed student at Brakebills and senior to Quentin. He is a heavy drinker and frustrating ally to Quentin.

Summer Bishil as Margo Hanson: equivalent to Janet from the novels, her name was changed to avoid confusion with other names beginning with "J".

Arjun Gupta as Penny: Quentin's roommate and peer, deliberately intimidating and edgy.

Rick Worthy as Dean Fogg: the Dean of Brakebills.

Anne Dudek as Professor Sunderland: a teacher at Brakebills and Penny's mentor

Based on character/plot descriptions it sounds like there will some slight reworking of the plot to tell Julia's story in chronological order instead of just coming back to it later. Speaking of the books, please try and limit (and mark) spoilers for those coming in fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far they've definitely aged everyone up since in the book he was in high school.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I definitely enjoyed it. It seemed kind of rushed but that might just be pilot-itis and hopefully it calms down a little.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of the pilot is the scene with the Beast's first appearance and a big difference is that it looks like he's killed Dean Fogg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

buddhanc posted:

Maybe it's a good thing that I haven't read the books because I actually quite enjoyed the first episode. Maybe I'll pick them up after the season is over, would it be worth it?

Also, Olivia Taylor Dudley :swoon:

A big difference so far is that the book focuses more on the schoolwork and Quentin learning how to do magic. Also he's much more of a jerk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight is the actual start of the show, with the first episode airing at 9/8 and the second episode right after.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, so far it definitely feels like they've slowed things down. Seems like the breakneck speed was just for the pilot so they could get to the whole Beast part.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm hoping that they start to give Elliot more stuff to do going forward because he's been pretty fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads, up, you've got a pretty big spoiler outside of tags there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of rearranging story bits here.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Did... Did they make Elliott straight?

No, last week he mentioned that if Quentin got kicked out and mind erased he'd find him and seduce him to give him something to remember at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Renewed for a 13 episode second season so yeah. Syfy is pretty happy with how it's been going so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's right, it was an episode of Star Trek.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering if the first season is going to fully cover the first book because that took place over multiple years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show sure drops a lot of f bombs for a channel that doesn't allow them to actually say it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cancer Puppy was absolutely adorable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I just realized thinking about it this morning but another thing they're doing kind of different is having people smoking. You don't really see it that much nowadays, especially with younger characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aw, I was kind of hoping that the big test was just quiz night.

Edit: lol, they're being Naruto'ed.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 23, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Where did Penny get a vest in Antarctica?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I don't understand anything about the metaplot. I know the Beast is from Fillory which is a fictional place in some kids books except it's actually real and Quinn has dreams about a character from Fillory called Jane Chatwin and the Beast wants to kill Quentin for some unknown reason, but I don't understand any reason or connection between these things.

The connection between the Beast, Jane Chatwin and Fillory will all eventually be explained. They mentioned in the first episode that Jane and her siblings were real children and the Fillory books were written by their neighbor based on stories they would tell him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

huh, content warning.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I know they had characters kill themselves in this week's episode but it was still kind of weird to have that thing at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of disappointed they kept in Quentin cheating on Alice because that's my least favorite part of the first book. Really the entire section where they're just kind of bumming around after graduating but before going to Fillory is my least favorite part of the entire series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have it down as 12, which would make next week the finale but they weren't advertising it as such.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the big difference is that in the books Quentin is actually a really good magician, instead of the middling one on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the books he does have the whole thing about being able to innately travel between dimensions but they don't classify it as a "traveler" or anything like that. Really though in the books Penny is barely a character. He's mainly around just to be a dick to Quentin and doesn't actually get a lot of character depth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Janet joke was pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There you go, Josh.

Also, "Thank god for Hitler"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want all of next season to be narrated by Quentin.

Edit: Is Ryan Robbins trying to be in literally everything?

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, they were described in the books as literal talking sheep.

That was certainly an odd place to end the season. I don't know if this means they're keeping the Beast as a running villain or what.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another trailer. Looks like since a certain thing didn't happen at the end of the first season they're switching out Alice for Julia in the whole "Kings and Queens of Fillory" bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuC0irbKSGg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The way they ended last season is a complete departure from the books so it is hard to know how if at all things will be the same. So far the premise of this season seems to be the same as the second book in general but hard to know how specific it will get.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FYI the first season is now up on Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penny's rant and the knight quizzing them on 90s pop culture were pretty great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hale Appleman is so incredibly tall and handsome and tall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ratings were massively up from last season's premier. So.. good signs for a season 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C'mon Syfy, FX has decided the F word is totally cool. Get with the times!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eliot learning just how bad the farmers on Fillory are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So while this stuff is good it kinda feels like it maybe should have been the last couple of episodes last season. Especially if that preview is accurate and next week is the confrontation with the Beast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I hope the questing beast is some guy in a fursuit wearing a fedora with fake antlers taped to the sides of it

It turns out that the magical world is full of weirdos and the author of the Fillory books had to take a lot of creative license in order to make the setting less weird

I'm pretty sure the Questing Beast is that weird white creature that has been showing up in commercials and promo art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I missed you all.. and I was bored.