Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked it; The Beast in particular was a well-done scene, and more generally, I'm glad they kept that magic requires both dexterity and math/science smarts. On the other hand, I also agree that some stuff seemed rushed--in particular, the Julia stuff--but this is probably understandable as they need to get her in place so that she'll have something to do on the show other than surf the internet.

I'm hoping future eps will slow it down a bit and maybe go back to the stuff they skipped over from the first half of the book, since they probably just frontloaded the key mysteries to sell execs on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I just watched the first episode and I have no idea what's going on in this show. The timeframe seems very confused. Like, Sam Winchester shows up for his first day at wizard school and you'd think he should be in a class of people who are also new (like whichever of those other people who took the exam got in), but it seems like everyone else has been there for ages? Also, half the time he obviously has no idea what's going on, but then other times people will be like "magic is always dangerous, you should know that" like as though he's been at it for years. Or the scene where he's talking to mopey girl and acting like he knows what's going on and won't help her get into the school because he knows she's not qualified or whatever, when he should actually be saying "How the hell could I get them to change their minds about you? I don't know what the gently caress is going on."

Yeah all those problems are basically because of that bolded part. I know this doesn't make it okay, and the show should definitely have made it clearer, but going by the timeline of the book, he's spent a good few months in school by this point and already has an idea of how the school works, which is why he knows what they'd do to her if she tried to force her way back in. When we were talking about them rushing and skipping the first half of the book in the posts above that's what we meant; the first half of the book was a lot of classes and discussion about the nature of magic, which is ok in the book, but they probably too slow for a TV pilot, so they either sped up or scrambled the timeline to frontload the arcs and create a hook.

quote:

And there's the whole Narnia thing, which I assume is meant to be obviously Narnia by a different name, except that in this world it's some obscure series no one cares about. Does that mean something? It just seems weird and dumb.

It's about as popular as Narnia is, and is important.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

WarLocke posted:

One little nod in the last episode I liked was the librarian's response to Penny. "You always ask that" feels like (book spoiler)a nod to the mention in the books that Jane had been going back in time and trying multiple scenarios to find one in which the gang doesn't immediately die when facing the Beast.

Does the Neitherlands (book spoiler) persist across Jane's retries?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Well, between the librarian calling Margo "Janet" and the number of retries being fairly low (I think Jane looped a lot more times than that in the book, right?) that was pretty much as close a confirmation as we'll get that this is one of Jane's retries prior to what happens in the book. Jane dying can probably be undone or explained away somewhere.

I like that Julia is tagging along on the trip to Fillory, and I like that they showed us a bit more of her friendship with Quentin, which didn't really come through in the books on account of Quentin being a cock.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

According to this interview I saw (I'm on my phone so I'm lazy to find the link) they actually did have a bear reserved to play Humbledrum the talking bear but they didn't take hibernation habits into account so they subbed the studio's pet bulldog in, promising they'd get back to the bear eventually.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That wouldn't work, because Martin is aware of the time loops (which sadly kinda puts a crimp in the theory that this is one of Jane's failure iterations from the books).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mortanis posted:

"The best episode of Buffy."
"Musical?"

I love how excited Margo was at first; you just know she was dying to cast that spell again.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Okay I'm confused by three things and thank you to whoever clarifies for me.

- "Okay, the 'not' thing is kinda arch." What does this expression mean?

Archaic? That usage of "not" is pretty 90s, like much of Fillorians' knowledge of earth, after all.

DaveKap posted:

And just for fun, I'm curious if the book's replacement of the letter 's' with 'f' is just a weird old-timey thing (which wouldn't make sense because it still says "seven keys" in the title) or somehow a clue for the next key quest.

Yeah that was a thing. There were rules on when the long s was appropriate; it wasn't a full on substitution, so I think using a big normal s as a capital letter is right.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

There is no monster in the book, so it seems that they are making it entirely up for the show,

What if it's (not a story spoiler, just a worldbuilding background detail from the books that's never expounded on) the ancient thing that the whales are keeping pinned down with their spell network?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I seem to have missed something; what happened to the key they got off of Quentin-beast?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I would like to see Margo's subplot from the third book brought to the screen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't remember that to be honest, I just remember she got a cool axe and was killing a lot of people. But if that's what happened in that book then welp

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EWqCtQ-dc

I was hoping they were building up to Fen singing Isaac's song but it didn't happen; anyway, woo!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm assuming it's gonna hop bodies eventually, leaving us with Nigel.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I got a bit lost, what happened with Marina? I assume Kady somehow offloaded a bunch of bad luck onto her and I guess that guy who called out to her was some kind of stalker? And can someone remind me why Julia's "bulletproof"? She gave up her godhood, so was there something else?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They're in their own timeline, but the current Marina and Penny are refugees from the Quentin-beast timeline. The fairies are still up and about but I think their business with the gang is concluded? Margo has a fairy eye now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I got a bit lost at the start; where did the sister come from? So the monster kidnaps a doctor from a bar a few episodes ago, then next we see her she's unconscious or dead on an altar, then he pushes his sister's spirit into Julia. What did I miss?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Fen was most definitely neither live nor in Fillory :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's like how in Legends of Tomorrow one of the regulars also played Marie Antoinette and only one other character noticed that they looked alike