Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

All those spots and poo poo could be removed pretty easily in photoshop, and the expression could be exaggerated a bit so it's more clear.

ed: next week once I have some free time I'll finish squaring up my cnc machine and we can add rude engravings to this list.

hell sounds easy enough. I might do this

THANKS YOU FOR VECTOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FWIW E-6000 glue attaches the gently caress out of velcro backing to nylon/cordura and pretty much everything else too.

In case you wanted to explore an adhesive solution, I mean. Like to anchor the center ie inside the edge stitching.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

hell sounds easy enough. I might do this

THANKS YOU FOR VECTOR

I don't think you will.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The extent of my sewing knowledge is usually sewing cuffs on thrift store jeans or fixing busted seams on work gloves. I had a friend who was an upholsterer and had a huge old singer that he would fix anything I needed on but he had a stroke and is in a nursing home now and his kids sold all his stuff at a garage sale.

So I decided to look for a sewing machine.

I was at a thrift store and found a brand new Elna sewing machine in the box with the receipt for $1000 for only $20. Once I got it home I found out it was a serger sewing machine and ended up selling it for a few hundred bucks that I spent on a gun.

I asked my mom to keep an eye out for a nice machine and she offered me her direct drive 201 singer that was mounted in a cabinet. I wanted to take it but realized it would need to clear out some poo poo in my living room for a place to put it.

While sizing up possible locations I noticed this weird table.

I didn't realize that my wife had gotten her Grandma's sewing machine when they cleaned out her grandfathers house after he passed away..

Turns out it's a singer 66k

Plaque seems to indicate it's a 1951 production

It did need some work, The top spindle was bent, it was filthy, most of the chrome was pitted/rusty, the internals were seized, the belt and winder rubber were trash and the power cords were cloth wrapped and fell apart as I unwrapped them.

I straightened the spindle
I wiped it down with some oil
I used my tumbler and some steel wool to get the active rust off the chome parts
I covered the internals in PB blaster, after I got it to move I rinsed the PB off with 3in1 oil, After that I flushed the 3in1 off with sewing machine oil.
I found new rubber for $4 at hobby lobby
I replaced the power and treadle switch cords with hacked up computer power cables

I probably have about $20 worth of parts into it and it works like a top.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

right arm posted:

I don't think you will.

I don't care step dad

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

My grand mother used to sew on something similar, she used a foot treadle to power it. gently caress I'm old. My parents still have it, but it's been neglected. Probably rusted shut.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Foot pedals own. Both my machines have one and if I'm actually sewing and not embroidering, I'm using them.

Also, as an update, this project has dragged on but I'm still working on it! I've had a lot going on at work and in my personal life so I just haven't had the hours I need to sit around and focus on it. Since it's taking so long, I'll confirm everyone's address before I ship them out as people may have moved since the holidays.

Sorry guys.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Left the ski slope during lunch to hit up a moving sale and scored what dates as a 1952 manufacture AK series Singer. Cursory autist blog surfing leads me to believe it is a 15-91. Looks just like this but dirtier and with black felt donuts:

Paid $20 to include a small baggie of parts and the wooden lidded case that needs gluing back together. How'd I do if it does/doesn't work? Will cycling it sans thread or fabric gently caress anything up to check if it fires up?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I paid a couple hundred, but mine came from a guy on ebay that fixes them up.

Still sounds like a screaming deal since the old cast machines aren't cheap on ebay. Cycling without thread/fabric will be okay, you've got to do it during setup anyways to get the bobbin thread in the right spot.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just fired it up and it seems to tick along alright with no obvious issues. The light even passes the tap test and the bobbin friction ring engages the balance wheel. Might just need to clean/lube, fix up the wood case, and replace the incomplete plug with one that won't kill me in my sleep.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

For $20 you got a steal. I've seen people asking more for rusted out ones with missing pieces.

If you need replacement electrical parts for it, check out http://vintagewireandsupply.com/ I bought some wire and plugs from them to restore a vintage desk fan and it's good stuff.

In patch related news. At this very moment, #31 is being stitched. I ran out of stabilizer for a while and no one sells the brand I like on Amazon, so I had to buy it elsewhere and it took a while to get here. I bought a poo poo ton of it though so I'll probably never run out again!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

If you need replacement electrical parts for it, check out http://vintagewireandsupply.com/ I bought some wire and plugs from them to restore a vintage desk fan and it's good stuff.

This site is going to drain my wallet. poo poo. I am turning into my sister with her fascination for post-war electrical doodads.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

There are tons of scans of manuals and stuff on maintenance for these machines on the internet by the way.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, downloaded the 15-91 manual when I was looking into the machine. Now I need to track down a good machine sewing text because I like being able to refer to a real book when learning.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

There's undoubtedly some recommendations in here somewhere.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701891

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Well this is a fortuitously timed thread. I recently bought an ammo pouch to put on the stock of my M1 Carbine. The ammo pouch had a snap fastener on the inside, and I was worried about it scratching the stock, so I removed the fastener. That went fairly well, but I'm left with a hole in the pouch, and I want to stop the fraying. It's a little difficult to work on, because it's in the center of the fabric, and I'd like it to look somewhat neat, so I've rejected the "big blob of glue" idea for now. I'm thinking either iron-on patch material, or trying to stitch it. WSYTFR?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo them embroiderymathings have come down in price.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

The DIY sewing thread would have the best advice for you.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Mister Sinewave posted:

FWIW E-6000 glue attaches the gently caress out of velcro backing to nylon/cordura and pretty much everything else too.

In case you wanted to explore an adhesive solution, I mean. Like to anchor the center ie inside the edge stitching.

Hows this work on leather?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

sky shark posted:

Hows this work on leather?

I'd be surprised if it didn't work with leather. E-6000 works with drat near everything, poo poo is great.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Hey, how're those TFR Secret Santa REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE patches coming along?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Cartouche posted:

Hey, how're those TFR Secret Santa REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE patches coming along?

I'm at 32 out of the 35 I need to stitch, but I have to pick up more fabric and wind a poo poo ton of bobbins today. I'm planning to stop by JoAnns after work today to do just that. I've got a 50% off coupon

Then I just need to trim them. I'm going to cut some corners on that to expedite it. If a few extra connecting threads here and there bother anyone, you can always finish it on your own

Finally, I need to stitch them to velcro which doesn't take long at all.

This has taken a few extra months to do than I anticipated, but maybe it was dumb to start out with such a large order...

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

I'm at 32 out of the 35 I need to stitch, but I have to pick up more fabric and wind a poo poo ton of bobbins today. I'm planning to stop by JoAnns after work today to do just that. I've got a 50% off coupon

Then I just need to trim them. I'm going to cut some corners on that to expedite it. If a few extra connecting threads here and there bother anyone, you can always finish it on your own

Finally, I need to stitch them to velcro which doesn't take long at all.

This has taken a few extra months to do than I anticipated, but maybe it was dumb to start out with such a large order...

No doubt worth the wait. If need be I can get my better half to do any loose threads. She lives to sew.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Only 7 left to do!

I'm currently waiting for the last 7 to dry after trimming, then I can seal the edges and sew the velcro on.

Should only be a couple more days depending on how time permits. I'm also going to need to buy a bunch of stamps!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

Only 7 left to do!

I'm currently waiting for the last 7 to dry after trimming, then I can seal the edges and sew the velcro on.

Should only be a couple more days depending on how time permits. I'm also going to need to buy a bunch of stamps!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Can't wait.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Dammitttt I didn't know these were Secret Santa. Any chance you're gonna do another run? I would loving love one of those.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Yes there is! I just finished packing all the TFR SS people's patches, and several people have come to me requesting one. So there will be a second run. However, it's not free to do these or mail them so it's going to cost a few bucks + shipping for non-TFRSS peeps.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

SpartanIV posted:

Yes there is! I just finished packing all the TFR SS people's patches, and several people have come to me requesting one. So there will be a second run. However, it's not free to do these or mail them so it's going to cost a few bucks + shipping for non-TFRSS peeps.

Count me in for one!

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Count me in, it will give balance to my dickbutt patch.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MrTuffPaws posted:

it will give balance to my dickbutt patch.
Hm, anyone interested in a dardickbutt edit? I can do one tomorrow.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Uhhhh how much money would it take to make you create an armed Totoro patch?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

I really want to use my laser to make velcro backed leather patches similar to violent little machine shop, but have no idea what dollar outlay that will involve

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

SpartanIV posted:

Yeah for sure count me in for that, man. What a loving great idea.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIV posted:

+1 for a second run, I'd love to buy one.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

I'd love one - NAME YOUR PRICE!

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

This.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Do a second run, let me buy 6 so I can resell them for profit.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

Uhhhh how much money would it take to make you create an armed Totoro patch?

I'm in for one and this question must be answered

• Locked thread