Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Well I did get my machine back from the shop recently and I'm stitching out some more patches right now!

As for new patches: I really need to upgrade to a more robust software suite. I'm using a pretty basic program which took me weeks to make the Government Get Out patch with. However, the piece of software I want (Embird) is like $300 for all the parts of it I need, and with all my fun money currently being funneled into reloading, it might be a little bit before I have the additional funds. Maybe if I sell lots of patches

Does someone have an angry totoro picture or should I just use Insane Totoro's avatar as a template?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Case in point:

HEY ITS ME INSERN TITORU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIV posted:

Case in point:

HEY ITS ME INSERN TITORU

hello darkness my old friend

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

hello darkness my old friend

I've come to talk with you again.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

I'm going to need a couple of the patches from the second run as well please.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

SpartanIV posted:

Case in point:

HEY ITS ME INSERN TITORU
What does the software like? Less fine detail, more solid colors instead of gradients? I can edit it in PS if I have an idea on that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Less colors and gradients is best. There's 2 methods to digitize something with this software, both suck, but one tries to detect the lines between colors and separate out the drawing that way. That's the better of the two ways but requires as simple of an image as possible (gradients and tons of colors throw it for a loop). The other way, as pictured above, treats it like a color photo and it kind of rounds the colors as best as it can, but you lose a lot of details, like the AR15 shape, in the process. The above image was digitzed from a version I messed with in photoshop and brought it down to like 5 colors, which resulted in what you see there. I really need to have crisp lines between colors I think.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Would this work better? I was able to mash out some of the detail without loving the lines anyways.

Regardless of whether that works I did manage to do this at least

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Needs to be even simpler than that. Remember, each color is a spool of thread. So it shouldn't be more than a couple colors.

Here's one I made with 5 colors

It's not too bad, but I really need more advanced editing abilities than what this program provides.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I think that's 5 not including transparency.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

That did not work out well. There's too much detail so it's just blending everything together and omitting the fine pieces, like the pupils.

Not sure why the background is black.

The way I did this for the Government Get Out patch is I redrew the whole thing in inkscape (a surprisingly nice open source Illustrator clone) and then converted the line work into stitches using some web apps and other freeware programs. Going the vector route gives you absolute precision with stitches, and lets you get those nice fine details. For the govt patch I also had to make stitch by stitch edits in some parts using the trial versions of different programs. Honestly I can't remember all the programs I used and for what. What I have now is an ancient version of Brother's PE Design 6.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

Regardless of whether that works I did manage to do this at least

and here I wanted to sleep

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Well if the whole run isn't claimed yet I'd totally pay dollars for a reeeee patch

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I would pay a cash money for a reeeeee as well

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Does your software import specific formats?

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.

I'd pay for a reeeeeee

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

If I wanted a run of about 20 patches, what would it cost me? A group of my Civil War unit did an event in Canada recently and I mentioned to our colonel that I'd look into having a "Northern Expeditionary Force" patch made up.

Of course I also need to design the thing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm working on more reeeee's

sky shark posted:

Does your software import specific formats?
The poo poo I have now just takes standard image formats and tries to convert them to gigantic fill sections of stitching. PNG, JPG, whatever. No support for vector formats as it's from the mid 90's.

The software is Brother's PE Design 6

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'd rock a no step on snek too.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

I'd like a patch with the text MELON LABIA and half a melon with a pussy carved into it.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I'm on board the reeee train.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks to the general question thread I would like a reeee patch whenever I can fit into your ordering/making queue.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

Grimey Drawer

I, too, desire to own the patch in question, with the cute little angry frog, for clarity.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

I'd rock a no step on snek too.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Just give me a place to throw my money.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

I also want a Reeeeeeee patch. I need it. Please say when.

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

I hope I didn't miss the Reeeee patch If not, please sign me up!

I also have a copy of the Awful Shooting Squad vector file which I can try to convert to .jpg or whatever if anyone would like.

Edit:

Here it is. It should be black instead of grey, but the converter I used wasn't cooperating.

Hazborgufen fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 16, 2016

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'd be willing to throw some cash for a snek patch.

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

+1 snek

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'd be willing to throw some cash for a snek patch.

i definitely want like 6.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Want snek.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Want 2 of snek and 2 of reeeee please update

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

snek

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone know anything about making simple web belts? Where to source buckles and so-on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

Local milsurp has new buckles and end caps for a buck apiece and 54 (? iirc) inch raw belts of every color of the rainbow for $3.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone know anything about making simple web belts? Where to source buckles and so-on.
I'm not sure if they'll have the hardware you're looking for but I've bought webbing and some various plastic hardware from these people before and was happy with it.

http://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

SpartanIV posted:

That did not work out well. There's too much detail so it's just blending everything together and omitting the fine pieces, like the pupils.

Not sure why the background is black.

The way I did this for the Government Get Out patch is I redrew the whole thing in inkscape (a surprisingly nice open source Illustrator clone) and then converted the line work into stitches using some web apps and other freeware programs. Going the vector route gives you absolute precision with stitches, and lets you get those nice fine details. For the govt patch I also had to make stitch by stitch edits in some parts using the trial versions of different programs. Honestly I can't remember all the programs I used and for what. What I have now is an ancient version of Brother's PE Design 6.

Are you doing commissioned work? If so, what's the minimum order for patches?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Nah, I simply don't have the time. It takes a lot of time to stitch them out and the failure rate is pretty high so I end up spending even more time per patch. I probably threw away more patches than I ever finished.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Those are blems and still have value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Fog Tripper posted:

Those are blems and still have value.

would buy a snek and reeeee.

• Locked thread