Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rome update: season 1 p. ok

on to season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Barreft posted:

Yeah he's in the new season.

Your heart will go on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Rome update: season 1 p. ok

on to season 2

It's the best one! Get ready to hear "Any road..." a bunch of times though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's the best one! Get ready to hear "Any road..." a bunch of times though.

idk, in my opinion there is too much going on and all happens too fast

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Valar Morghulis posted:

Never thought of it like that.

GRRM may very well write that Reed had gone off somewhere far by the time Ned got out and never saw the baby.

Possibly, but I think that's unlikely. As far as I remember, the books have hinted pretty strongly that only Ned and Reed know what really happened at the tower, implying that there's something fishy that only they know/knew about.

EDIT: On the other hand, the implied secret could just be what we saw in the series, namely that Ned would have been cut to bits if Reed hadn't stabbed his oppnent in the back.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 4, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

That was my main problem with what I've seen so far. There were multiple huge time skips and almost no indication that they even happened.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Comrade Koba posted:

Possibly, but I think that's unlikely. As far as I remember, the books have hinted pretty strongly that only Ned and Reed know what really happened at the tower, implying that there's something fishy that only they know/knew about.

EDIT: On the other hand, the implied secret could just be what we saw in the series, namely that Ned would have been cut to bits if Reed hadn't stabbed his oppnent in the back.

I didn't think that was really a secret, was it? Ned never really claims to have beaten Dayne, the story is that they outnumbered the Kingsguard 7 to 3 - I figured that anyone who heard the story would just assume he died randomly in the melee that only Ned survived.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Literally laughed out loud

this can't be real right

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gotta keep that money rolling in somehow, he's never going to finish the books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hope no one was under the false impression that he's been working on TWoW.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

quote:

The big questions are still if the magic ingredient in the original show was Benioff and Weiss’ writing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone post that on gurm's notablog.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One of those spinoffs had better be a Westeros-themed cooking show.

Phenotype posted:

I didn't think that was really a secret, was it? Ned never really claims to have beaten Dayne, the story is that they outnumbered the Kingsguard 7 to 3 - I figured that anyone who heard the story would just assume he died randomly in the melee that only Ned survived.
Some people seem impressed by Ned because he survived that fight, but he always seems to downplay it, never bragged about it, and I think always credited Reed for his having survived. He's also always glum about that whole thing because Arthur Dayne was Ashara's brother, and Ned loved Ashara and respected Arthur and didn't really want the whole thing to go down at all. It's one of those things where the story clashes strongly with the reality.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The show dicked this up by making Ned oddly braggadocious about his swordsmanship ("when I face a man in battle, I don't want him to know what I can do :smug:") and also the Daynes are basically entirely cut out of the show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's why the perfect version of the show just makes the events of the second season take place over two seasons, and just dodge the Jesus stuff entirely. enough of that already.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's why the perfect version of the show just makes the events of the second season take place over two seasons, and just dodge the Jesus stuff entirely. enough of that already.

Also, drop those 2 boneheads (the 2 "common" guys who are main characters, cant remember their names)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, drop those 2 boneheads (the 2 "common" guys who are main characters, cant remember their names)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Gaiman secretly writing the books confirmed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He was always a TV writer, this is his dream probably, book's never coming out so gently caress it write some spinoffs and make that money.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

he doesn't have kids right? i would think he has enough money to do whatever until he dies.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Honestly after the last two "books" (2/3rds of one) I'd rather he do the spinoffs anyway. We're all going to know the end of the story by the end of next year anyway, so gently caress it.

Bring on Robert's Rebellion, Dunk and Egg, etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

he doesn't have kids right? i would think he has enough money to do whatever until he dies.

Even with kids he has enough money to do whatever he wants for the rest of his life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Barreft posted:

Honestly after the last two "books" (2/3rds of one) I'd rather he do the spinoffs anyway. We're all going to know the end of the story by the end of next year anyway, so gently caress it.

Bring on Robert's Rebellion, Dunk and Egg, etc.

I haven't read the Dunk and Egg stuff. I hope they make it into a show. Then I can hang out in the "No Spoilers" thread for it and report every fucker with a Wild Cards gang tag.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair to the fat man, he does pump a lot of money into the arts in Santa Fe. He's not bring a cantankerous miser with his cash.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

iirc they were supposed to get like 5 seasons and the second was supposed to end with the final defeat of Brutus and co, but HBO got cold feet and said lol no you get 2 seasons

so they rushed 3 seasons worth of material into one and it is very apparent

a shame, show owns

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

iirc they were supposed to get like 5 seasons and the second was supposed to end with the final defeat of Brutus and co, but HBO got cold feet and said lol no you get 2 seasons

so they rushed 3 seasons worth of material into one and it is very apparent

a shame, show owns

(season 2 of rome spoilers. also spoilers for history itself? idk) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSvrGe_2Q4

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That's almost the opposite of a spoiler.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I know a decent amount of roman history and I still ain't watching that until I'm done with season 2 :colbert:

Also whoa, Niobe is played by the head sand snake/Oberyns wife lady

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 5, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

To be fair they will probably only pick the strongest one to move forward on. Developing could mean anything beyond a cocktail napkin with scribbled notes on it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair they will probably only pick the strongest one to move forward on. Developing could mean anything beyond a cocktail napkin with scribbled notes on it.

Even a cocktail napkin with writing on it is more than what gurm has done in a decade.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I hope one of them is Ser Arthur Dayne's Dual Wielding Adventures.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

gently caress off about Rome, I'm still salty that they didn't give Carnivale an ending. I miss my sexy Dustbowl supernatural drama.

Every prophet in her house.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i get why they didn't keep Carnivale going. it was a little too weird for mainstream audiences. great for twin peaks types.

Rome though? that show was beyond excellent. even with the rushed season 2, the final scene is about the most feelgood ending I've ever had for a show. it was perfect.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm still holding out hope for both the Deadwood and Rome movies. Deadwood's script was just handed in and Rome's was done a year or two ago, with little movement on the project since. So I have a feeling the Deadwood one will happen and the Rome one won't. :(

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I love Rome, but I'd be okay with that. Rome's ending was rushed but at least it had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Season 7 Spoiler Thread.

• Locked thread