Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Great news, he just posted he's got a copy edited manuscript on his desk right now!

It's Wild Cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"Wild Cards is another matter. Wild Cards is in my blood, and I plan to continue with those books as long as someone will keep buying them."

There are people buying Wild Cards?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

"Wild Cards is another matter. Wild Cards is in my blood, and I plan to continue with those books as long as someone will keep buying them."

There are people buying Wild Cards?

Someone. somewhere, intently studies those books looking for clues about ASoIAF like its The Bible Code.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think GRRM just shot down some major fan theories by stating ASOIAF takes place in a different universe than all his other works.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Well it's more than three sentences: http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Of course, all he needed was three sentences: "I missed all my deadlines. The Winds of Winter will never be finished. I'm going to watch the Jets lose this weekend instead of rewriting that Theon chapter."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I figured whatever he was going to say was going to be fairly significant if it took like 3 days to say.

I guess there are two ways to look at this: One is that none of this is at all surprising and that's pretty much what we thought he'd say: No book before season 6.

On the other hand if you read between the lines a little he thought in May 2015 he could possibly finish in six months so he has to have a significant portion of the book written.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
And there'll be more Theon. He's pretty cool.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TOOT BOOT posted:

On the other hand if you read between the lines a little he thought in May 2015 he could possibly finish in six months so he has to have a significant portion of the book written.

lol

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
First observation: he must be getting good at apologies. Well... he's a writer.

Second observation: when he listed 'people who've never appeared on the show and never will', I did not recognise 2/3 names on that list. Heh.

Third observation: so, hopefully, no more booktalk in this show thread, especially after this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Meanwhile, Back at the Wall...

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
How could he ever have thought that the show is not going to catch up with him, given that he still has ANOTHER book to write after WoW? Even if we take the average of ~4 years he needs to write a new book (which is favorable to him since every book after aSoS has taken longer) the show would inevitably catch up to him.

It will be funny to see the hardcore bookreaders try to not get spoiled. Unless they resign themselves to a life in some cavern in Afghanistan that endeavour is sure to fail.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If he can't write it, someone else will summarize.

Like it's not even a thing. The idea that he even considered a deadline is laughable.

BTW Jojen was not on his list of dead on show alive in book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Question for book readers: If bullet points of the final books' plots were released, summarizing who does what in enough detail to understand, would you be satisfied and walk away from the series forever?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm surprised he left out Lady Stoneheart from that list

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

computer parts posted:

Question for book readers: If bullet points of the final books' plots were released, summarizing who does what in enough detail to understand, would you be satisfied and walk away from the series forever?

What would even be the point then? Lol. Why not just imagine some finale at that point

GaussianCopula posted:

It will be funny to see the hardcore bookreaders try to not get spoiled. Unless they resign themselves to a life in some cavern in Afghanistan that endeavour is sure to fail.

It's funny that people care about a good series of books and would rather read them as intended than the hackney, poo poo show version that has done nothing but disapoint since the first 2 seasons?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That's not fair, I was fairly disappointed by the second season too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

kater posted:

That's not fair, I was fairly disappointed by the second season too.

I can't really be disappointed since Alfie Allen was pretty much just showboating over the rest of the cast. Insane how good of an actor that guy is, it's a pity that the corrupt and arrogant showrunners keep cutting his scenes and giving the poor guy nothing to work with.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Item Getter posted:

I'm surprised he left out Lady Stoneheart from that list

That and leaving out Jojen from the dead-in-the-show-alive-in-the-books list is interesting but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

quote:

Meanwhile Jhiqui, Aggo, Jhogo, Jeyne Poole, Dalla (and her child) and her sister Val, Princess Arianne Martell, Prince Quentyn Martell, Willas Tyrell, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Lord Wyman Manderly, the Shavepate, the Green Grace, Brown Ben Plumm, the Tattered Prince, Pretty Meris, Bloodbeard, Griff and Young Griff,

Where the gently caress is Strong Belwas?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it sounded from his post that the showrunners know exactly what's going to happen now, and anything different from the books will be whatever they decide to change.

*Sigh* I would just not watch season 6 but that'll hardly help. Oh well. It still sounded like it could come out in 2016... Right guys?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah it sounded from his post that the showrunners know exactly what's going to happen now, and anything different from the books will be whatever they decide to change.

*Sigh* I would just not watch season 6 but that'll hardly help. Oh well. It still sounded like it could come out in 2016... Right guys?

My guess would be that Martin's new deadline is end of March, so that they can release the book a few days after the season ends.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

computer parts posted:

Obviously, yeah. I'm not going to read the rest of the books anyway - not really that interested in Aegon or Arianne. I would continue to watch the show, however, to see how it'd get adapted.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

computer parts posted:

Yes. I tried to re-read Dance a few months ago and found myself really underwhelmed by his writing. He's a very good plotter, but there are so many other books out there I could spend time actually reading and enjoying.

I know I've never really cared about spoilers from the show, personally. I think you'll find a lot of people from the book thread in BB will feel the same way at this point as well. I remember thinking way back when the show first started that he had a history of missing deadlines and the idea of him finishing the books before the show was over seemed fairly unlikely.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

I'd probably listen to the audiobook anyway, but I'd not read the book.

But the thought that the amazing Roy Dotrice will die (he is 92 after all) before the last book comes out makes me sad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lol at anybody who still honestly thinks he finishes both books before he dies

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Think of the chapters he could've accomplished if he hadn't wasted all that time on excuse-posting and being a whiny bitch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

My guess would be that Martin's new deadline is end of March, so that they can release the book a few days after the season ends.

Since apparently the publishers have a 4 month turnaround time, this would put the release around the end of July, which is when ADWD came out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris James 2 posted:

lol at anybody who still honestly thinks he finishes both books before he dies

same op

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im willing to give up twice his weight in baby sacrifices to ensure he survives to the completion of A Dream Of Spring.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Steve2911 posted:

Thing is, the show is changing A LOT. What story lines at the end of season 5 are more or less the same as they are in the books?

-Cersei vs. the sparrows
-Jon Snuh getting Caesered
-Bran is a tree
-Arya's faceless man training (albeit out of order)

It's hard for me to include Dany in the list, because while she may be hanging out with Dothraki, everything going on in Meereen is different. Story lines involving Stannis, Sansa, Jaime, Ramsey, the Iron Islands, etc. have been blown all to hell. On the one hand, you will get spoiled by book stuff. On the other hand, you'll have no idea what it is you were spoiled on until you finally read it for yourself.

GRRM said he can't think of an example similar to what we're seeing play out here between show catching up to books, but as a former weeb, I know it's pretty common in anime. Nausicaa and Akira are probably the two most high-profile examples of the movies coming out while the books were still being written and each standing well on their own merits. An example that might be closer in line with Game of Thrones might be the show Planetes, which aired while the manga was still being written and while the two had similar endings, they went about it in very different ways.

Basically, this sort of thing happens a lot. Most people can reconcile the two mediums as being their own thing and enjoy them each for what they are. Those who can't end up being Linda from Tower of the Hand.

So I gotta ask: do you want to be like Linda? Do you really?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel reading a graphic novel vs reading 2500+ pages of books that I don't feel has the best writing in the world is a different thing. His advantage was that his plotting is, again, pretty good. But if I know the basic story beats, I don't know if I can be motivated to read those pages.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

twistedmentat posted:

There's also the whole thing about her not being Arya Stark anymore, which is something that has been explicitly shown with her refusal to get rid of needle. There will be a point where she has to give it up and she'll refuse, causing the break between the House of Black and White and her. She will take the skills she has learned and return to Westeros and wade waste deep in blood.

Though I think that the next major stage in the story will be everyone who's been scattered to start returning to Westeros.

Hahahahahah, like that will ever happen.

Even if she had gotten rid of Needle, I imagine her being a warg would make it next to impossible for her to ever truly stop being Arya.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Max posted:

I feel reading a graphic novel vs reading 2500+ pages of books that I don't feel has the best writing in the world is a different thing. His advantage was that his plotting is, again, pretty good. But if I know the basic story beats, I don't know if I can be motivated to read those pages.

I had some fun with the first 3 books, but the last ones were a chore I only went through because I HAD TO KNOW. I cant see myself reading any more GRMM if I already knows how it ends.

EDIT:vvvvvvvvv nah, the last 2 books always sucked

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 2, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man a lot of people have suddenly decided that they hate the books in the last year or so.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Steve2911 posted:

Man a lot of people have suddenly decided that they hate the books in the last year or so.

It's kinda like how people stop visiting their grandparents once their health starts failing and they spend all day making GBS threads themselves and not writing Winds of Winter.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Last 2 books were mediocre at best, that hasn't changed

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Have you ever wandered into the bad thread in the last 10 years?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Steve2911 posted:

It's become cool to hate on the books ever since the show went to utter poo poo. The people posting about the shittiness of the books are simply trolling the few genuine fans who haven't been chased away from this forum yet.

Chris James 2 posted:

Last 2 books were mediocre at best, that hasn't changed

Feast for Crows and Dance have issues, sure. But both are as good as the original three and I'd say Feast is my favorite book in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Brienne's journey in Feast is one of my favorite storylines. There I said it.

• Locked thread