Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mackerel w/ soy sauce, 'vark sauce, and furikake on rice. i was prepared to not like this because the japanese dines in the same batch were all weird and sweet and one was bony in a bad way, but I could eat this every day until the virus is defeated, no problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sardines on rice with soy sauce, hot sauce and furikake are my new main thing

naem
May 29, 2011

one of us one of usss

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ate another can of smoked oysters.

second time i've gone to the store and only smoked oysters were there. I am going to become the king of eating smoked oysters. I will execute my enemies on the headstone of empty smoked oyster cans

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love smoked oysters on Ritz crackers w hot sauce and dill, maybe a squirt of lemon juice

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I just like eating them out of the can with a toothpick.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gonna eat my last tin of 'dines tonight. Might re up a few cans at the store tonight then order some new flavors online. Want to try KO jalapeno.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just like eating them out of the can with a toothpick.

This is how I've always eaten them. Learned it from my dad. He wasn't around much, but I did get a liking for canned fishes and oysters from him. :smith:

Semi-related: What is the responsible way to dispose of the oil that my dines or oysters are packed in? I usually just put the tins in a produce bag, tie it in a knot and toss it-- but I would feel less lovely if I could toss the can in the recycling, also.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
sure wish king oscar herring would go back to being really good instead of mushy garbage.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

MetaJew posted:

This is how I've always eaten them. Learned it from my dad. He wasn't around much, but I did get a liking for canned fishes and oysters from him. :smith:

Semi-related: What is the responsible way to dispose of the oil that my dines or oysters are packed in? I usually just put the tins in a produce bag, tie it in a knot and toss it-- but I would feel less lovely if I could toss the can in the recycling, also.

Cook with it my dude. Saute some onions, toss some pasta in it, delish.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MetaJew posted:

I pour the oil on my dog’s food. The tin is recyclable so just rinse it out with a little dish soap.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

MetaJew posted:

When I don't eat it or put it on the dog's kibble I wipe the can out with something absorbent I've picked out of the trash and then a spray of a degreasing cleaner and another wipe before recycling (you could use a new paper towel if you're not weird like me). I've always lived in houses with septic tanks/fields and had NO GREASE DOWN THE DRAIN OR WE ALL DIE drilled into me at an early age.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I put it straight down the drain and then rinse it down so it doesn't smell

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i add it to my sardine can closet which contains the concentrated smells of ten thousand opened sardine cans

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I either use the oil to sautee something (cut with canola), sop it up with bread, or down it all in one shot as a little post-dine digestif.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sometimes I leave the can out and then fry some eggs in the oil the next morning.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Dip Viscous posted:

Sometimes I leave the can out and then fry some eggs in the oil the next morning.

Hell yes. You think it'd be safe to fry them directly in the can over a low flame? I guess it'd be more of an oil-poach.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got some mac and cheese in the oven and a can of king oscar cracked pepper sardines sitting there along with a salad.
How should I prep these 'dines?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mix them into the salad would be my recommendation.

The little Greek grocery store across the street from me had all the carbs on Friday when I went in, plus new and interesting sardines and sprats. They have a bucket of salted anchovies that I need to investigate next time I go there.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
half in mac and cheese half in salad

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Double dine weekend, kinda.

Did a ton of yardwork then came in and busted out some KOs with some shallot, leftover rice paprika parsley and whatever. Stovetop then broiler, topped with a half a avocado I found in the fridge for quick guac

Then tonight the wife made salmon cakes with a side of sweet potato hash and a whatever tartar sauce with year out of date horseradish. Dont care.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Planet X posted:

Double dine weekend, kinda.

Did a ton of yardwork then came in and busted out some KOs with some shallot, leftover rice paprika parsley and whatever. Stovetop then broiler, topped with a half a avocado I found in the fridge for quick guac

Then tonight the wife made salmon cakes with a side of sweet potato hash and a whatever tartar sauce with year out of date horseradish. Dont care.

looks bad

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fishcakes are good, especially when used as a way to use up leftovers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

leftover... sardines? :confused:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Leftover rice or potatoes or pasta or anything else starchy.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/bRT1eWzr1oc

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

poverty goat posted:

leftover... sardines? :confused:

Those bar harbors dines that were so bad I put most of the tin out for the possums and raccoons. Rare, sure, but it happens.

I could also see cracking open two tins because you're hungry and getting full midway through the second tin, like what happens with fast food hamburgers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tonight's dinner is Retro brand cod liver from the Russian store near my house. Dumped all the oil into a pan, warmed it up with diced garlic, then added riced cauliflower & peas. Tasty, but next time I won't use all the oil (way too greasy for my tastes). I think I'll find a glass jar to store the excess cod liver oil for future cooking.

Now I'm thinking of making an aioli/mayonnaise with cod liver oil. Is that too insane?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Made a pajeon past night with some canned squid. I threw in green onions, kimchi, and for the second one added some sweet peppers and diced tobasco peppers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I thought I was getting spoiled by KOs so I picked up a can of beach cliffs in mustard sauce and you know what

They're fine. Pefectly servicable 'dines.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Previa_fun posted:

I thought I was getting spoiled by KOs so I picked up a can of beach cliffs in mustard sauce and you know what

They're fine. Pefectly servicable 'dines.

spread that on some toast with tomato and cheese

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/dining/sardines-recipes-coronavirus.html

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Goast posted:

spread that on some toast with tomato and cheese

sounds pretty good but I ate them straight outta the can with a fork

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The old lady at the grocery store asked me today if the big jar of riga gold I was buying was good. I told her it was one of the best. Was glad to see them well stocked during the apocalypse.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Plain KO brislings in olive oil tonight. Tastes good, man.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

How long does a jar of Riga Gold really keep in the fridge? I'm wary around smoked fish and as much as I love sprats, I just cannot finish a whole jar within 24 hours.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

way way way longer than it will take for you to eat it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah they're like having a jar of olives in the fridge, just snack on one here and there

this but fish

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I ordered a 5 pack of Matiz dines in Natural Lemon Essence and they are arriving tomorrow ARE YOU JEALOUS YOU SHOULD BE

Seriously how/why are sardines so goddamn good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PokeJoe posted:

yeah they're like having a jar of olives in the fridge, just snack on one here and there

this but fish

never has a meme spoken to me more