Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

I have, to my shame, but one child while I have many canned fish.

friend, you have many children yet few canned fish.

the best solution, the only real solution, I can see is to start a cannery and staff it with your offspring, thus rebalancing the canned fish/child equation

For a minute there I read this as saying you should start a cannery and stuff it with your offspring. That's one way to address the imbalance, I guess!

e: forgive me for the dumb snype, here's a recipe (in Swedish, just google translate it) for fashionable gin-pickled herring as tax: https://www.abba.se/recipes/sill-med-gin-och-granskott/ (The fresh spruce tips are not necessary.)

It was all the rage this summer in Finland, for some reason gin and lemon work incredibly well with pickled herring. If you have access to Nordic foodstuffs, I highly recommend to give it a go.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I haven’t fully caught up with the dine thread, but if it hasn’t been posted let me share with y’all the new (to me at least, still grumpy I can’t find KO Spanish).

KO sardines in white wine vinegar and capers.

They are as good as you’d imagine, not very fishy at all, and nice cut from the vinegar. The style label is blue.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Tnuctip posted:

I haven’t fully caught up with the dine thread, but if it hasn’t been posted let me share with y’all the new (to me at least, still grumpy I can’t find KO Spanish).

They are as good as you’d imagine, not very fishy at all, and nice cut from the vinegar. The style label is blue.

I recently found those somewhere near me and they were quite good but now I can't loving remember where I got them

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/sZib0ZA.mp4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

that's really impressive, but they probably feel the same way watching us use a can opener

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh uh I don't have anything to add really. I just want to see what a full page of this gif reposted looks like

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Tnuctip posted:

I see you're ready to graduate to pickled herring.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

undine:

staging an insurgency to keep trump in office

dine:

staging an insurgency to restore king oscar to the throne

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BigDave posted:

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

Replace the cream cheese with this:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BigDave posted:

Sprinkle furikake on the mix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

It's loving delicious.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BigDave posted:

No hot sauce?

Honestly I bet a nice fresh herb pesto (basil, parsley, dill, etc.) would go well. Or a pepper jam. Or capers and pickled onions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Like others said, some extra flavor goodies will go a long way.

No pics but I made a grilled cheese/tuna melt using Starkist Tuna Creations Hickory Smoked tuna, leftover Taco Bell fire sauce, fresh parsley & spring onion, and shredded cheese on homemade keto rosemary & sea salt bread. It's fun throwing random poo poo together!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Greatbacon posted:

No hot sauce?

Honestly I bet a nice fresh herb pesto (basil, parsley, dill, etc.) would go well. Or a pepper jam. Or capers and pickled onions.

I added some crystal hot sauce which helped, but it was still bland.

Next time I'll mix the sardines and cream cheese together, make a smear out of it, then season that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

BigDave posted:

I added some crystal hot sauce which helped, but it was still bland.

Next time I'll mix the sardines and cream cheese together, make a smear out of it, then season that.

Put some dill in that.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Made the sardine pasta from this thread a couple months ago and didn't have breadcrumbs so left them out of the recipe. It was not very good.

Decided to make it again last night because I had breadcrumbs and wanted something fishy. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Thanks thread.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arven posted:

Made the sardine pasta from this thread a couple months ago and didn't have breadcrumbs so left them out of the recipe. It was not very good.

Decided to make it again last night because I had breadcrumbs and wanted something fishy. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Thanks thread.

Can you repost the recipe?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Arven posted:

drat

what wont a lil bread do to a fish

jesus him self was like "yall hungry here have some small fishes and and small breads"

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

I'm on mobile and searching the thread isn't working, but it's identical to the one on the King Oscar website.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Keith Atherton posted:

Arven posted:

I'm on mobile and searching the thread isn't working, but it's identical to the one on the King Oscar website.

The recipe on KO website is probably fine, but doesn't seem to me like an authentic pasta chi sardi. For starters, fennel is integral, fresh ideally but seeds will do in a pinch, as are raisins, toasted pine nuts and anchovies. Yep, choves and dines, baby. I like to enrich the base with a bit of tomato paste too. But I also never add any kind of lemon or basil so this might just be something completely different. Spaghetti or fettuccini are fine but bucatini is the real poo poo.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It was this one. I used butter instead of olive oil-

Jikes posted:

A very good recipe, all you need is old bread, a couple of cans of sardines and a few pantry staples. Made this tonight, A++ would nosh again

Pasta With Sardines, Bread Crumbs and Capers
Salt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup bread crumbs, ideally made from stale bread
1 onion, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound long pasta, like perciatelli
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 cans sardines packed in extra virgin olive oil (about 1/2 pound)
½ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish

PREPARATION
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put half the oil (2 tablespoons) in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, less than 5 minutes, and then remove. Add the remaining oil and the onion to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until just tender; drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Turn the heat under the onions to medium-high and add the lemon zest, capers and sardines; cook, stirring occasionally, until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
Add the pasta to the sardine mixture and toss well to combine. Add the parsley, most of the bread crumbs and some reserved water, if necessary, to moisten. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnishing with more parsley and bread crumbs.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arven posted:

It was this one. I used butter instead of olive oil-

Thanks! :coolfish:

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Octopus Post -

Just bought an Octopus at Whole Foods. Anyone with good recipes for it? I was probably going to pan fry it, olive oil it with some salt and red chili flakes. Keep it simple. I just watched a few videos, but I'm a bit nervous Ill over cook it and I'll come out too rubbery.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 10, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ive had cooked over open flame its not as delicate as all that i think youll be fine if youre already this aware

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Snack time

Edit: not pictured - Tapatio

Planet X fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 14, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What is in that jar? I can barely make out "Hot Chow Chow."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hot chow chow is a full definition. It's a pickled cabbage salad/relish of sorts.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Dad powers through the roof in this pic.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

What is in that jar? I can barely make out "Hot Chow Chow."

It's sort of like kimchi, but made by people who live in the South.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just finished eating some of the canned mackerel I seasoned up and let marinate in the fridge for a day or two. I ate it on rye, with a little mayonnaise and a pickle. I am really coming to appreciate dill as a seasoning. the dill/garlic combination particularly, I've eaten a bunch of garlic dill flavored things in my life but I never really stopped to contemplate how much the two flavors compliment each other. I think a lot of my not really getting it comes from the fact that dill is a much stronger flavoring agent than I think most people realize, it works better as a compliment or an enhancer.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I took a tin of sardines and a tin of anchovies and mash up both into a paste inside their tins. I then took three avocados and mashed them into a paste. I mixed the fish pastes with the avocado paste to make a fish guacamole.

I may have gone too far

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flower brand Moroccan sardines, clearance bag of spaghetti squash, half a bag of frozen peas, Mexican blend shredded cheese, Marrakech seasoning. International cheapskate meal.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BigDave posted:

Quick pickled onions. At their most basic you can just thinly slice an onion and submerge it in vinegar for a few hours, or you can make a proper brine which is honestly about as easy.
https://cookieandkate.com/quick-pickled-onions-recipe/

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Now I'm thinking about using shallots instead of red onions for a quick pickle. Anybody try this?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can pickle that. You can go full dad and pickle some eggs (delicious). Food52 has a completely insane repository of quick pickle recipes with everything from cucumbers to kale and some really weird poo poo in between I would never have thought to soak in brine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:cheers:

I figured shallots could take a quick pickle well, just haven't tried it.

2020 is when I upped my pickling game with making homemade kimchi. I may splurge on a crock to make legit kosher dill pickles.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kimchi has also been one of my 2020 hobbies. Thinking about going for sauerkraut next. Takes 3-6 weeks to ferment it, though.

I usually at hot pickled jalapeños to any tinnned fish I eat. Nice tang and crunchiness goes drat well with it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Is there a good method for making not a huge amount of kimchi?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ehh I usually look for like a cut-in-half nappa cabbage. Or just a smaller one. This depends entirely on the market you're going to. I know I can usually find the half ones at Japanese markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you've got a good recipe to share I've got a fridge brimming with gochujang