Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

I took a tin of sardines and a tin of anchovies and mash up both into a paste inside their tins. I then took three avocados and mashed them into a paste. I mixed the fish pastes with the avocado paste to make a fish guacamole.

I may have gone too far

this inspired me and twice in the last few days my dinner has been rice topped with an avocado mashed up with two tins of mackerel, lemon juice, sherry vinegar and salt

like most of my tinned fish meals it looks like cat food but it was really tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If you've got a good recipe to share I've got a fridge brimming with gochujang

Every one I make is kind of a different blend of methods since they're always way different. Usually what I do is look up a couple to kind of remind myself of the basic ingredients. Here's one that I have bookmarked. I followed this recipe pretty closely once and I would omit the daikon. It's a nice touch, but kind of like the nappa you will end up with A LOT of it.

I usually include some gochujang in mine, but if you can get some gochugaru I think that's what is almost always used as the base.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sorry to derail this further, but now I'm wondering if I could use a different chili powder instead of gochugaru in my kimchi. I made some homemade chipotle powder & I'm tempted to try that out.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don’t see why not. The one thing about gochugaru is that’s basically reaallly fine flakes. But if it’s an actual powder then it’ll still turn into a paste.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Sorry to derail this further, but now I'm wondering if I could use a different chili powder instead of gochugaru in my kimchi. I made some homemade chipotle powder & I'm tempted to try that out.

There's no reason why it shouldn't. I'm sure that there are some kimchi purists out there that will demand it only be gochugaru, or it's not kimchi, but from a practical standpoint chipotle chili won't stop the ferment from happening. It'll taste different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Give it a shot!

And bringing this back to tiny-seafood chat--does anyone have a source online to get real saeu-jeot? I had a friend that used to bring me back jars from Korea, but since Covid happened, she hasn't been able to go home. I'm running low and I really like how those little pickled shrimp make kimchi taste.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

chiken paddy, shredded iceburg, a mix of finely chopped sundried tomatoes and mayo which I call tomayo, standard preparation anchovies.

was good. real good. the paradox of it is that the choves make it way better than it would otherwise be, even with the tomayo, yet the choves would be better by themselves on a hunk of bread or a cracker than they are in the sammich

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Old Town Blue pattern Corelleware owns.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dip Viscous posted:

Old Town Blue pattern Corelleware owns.

All of my plates and bowls are corelle, they don't match, and none of them are that cool pattern and i will still fist fight someone to the death to protect them

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is there a good method for making not a huge amount of kimchi?

Yes.

Or sauerkraut for that matter.

You buy these:

They're called 'Mason Jar fermentation lids', and they're about $10 for a multi-pack at amazon. They're water-filled air locks that let you do small batch fermentation right in standard size mason jars without having to get gently caress off size tubs or crocks.
I've done kimchi, sauerkraut, dill pickles, beets, sour dough cultures, and a few other random things in these. They're great.

You put your produce in, you top with your brine solution, and you put it someplace room temp or slightly cooler depending on your recipe, typically out of the sun for X amount of time, and blammo. Fermented pickles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I have those for making kimchi and now I am thinking of doing dill pickles in those.

Fermentation is fun!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Goddamn I love this funky fermented future we live in

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I got a book of recepies for all kinds of japanese fermented pickles for Christmas and I'm itching to try them out after I have dealt with a lot of real life stuff that's going on atm. Those things have a really unique flavour and crunch to to them, lots of funky smells and tastes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Yes.

Or sauerkraut for that matter.

You buy these:

They're called 'Mason Jar fermentation lids', and they're about $10 for a multi-pack at amazon. They're water-filled air locks that let you do small batch fermentation right in standard size mason jars without having to get gently caress off size tubs or crocks.
I've done kimchi, sauerkraut, dill pickles, beets, sour dough cultures, and a few other random things in these. They're great.

You put your produce in, you top with your brine solution, and you put it someplace room temp or slightly cooler depending on your recipe, typically out of the sun for X amount of time, and blammo. Fermented pickles.

You can do fermentation in vacuum bags if that's more convenient. Just leave several inches of extra bag on it to start, and open and re-vacseal it every day or two once it starts to fart. You don't even necessarily need to add water, just salt to 3% or whatever of whatever you're fermenting and the salt will make its own brine without diluting anything

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 25, 2021

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

BigDave posted:

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

I know this is from a while ago but jarred jalapeño slices go great with cream cheese.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Med style KO Mackeral was the tits. Once mostly drained its excellent by itself or as I ate it, with crackers. A little bit of franks and I was in canned heaven.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

Personally I'd not eat dines like that. I prefer slices of toast topped with butter, dines, a dash of hot sauce, good tomatos thinly sliced with a little salt and pepper on top. Basically an open sandwich. 2 slices per can is my ratio.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Add capers and mustard instead of hot sauce.
Sliced cucumber or Romain lettuce for crunch on addition to tomatoes.
Mayo possibly instead of cream cheese.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Totally with you on everything but capers. My only food nemesis.

I definitely do cucumber and mayo on the regular.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Alstertor smoked herring fillets, using the oil to sauté garlic & cauliflower rice. Smells like… victory.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've found I prefer riced cauliflower to actual rice in a lot of dishes. Well, decent riced cauliflower, I should say - that is definitely not a given.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Luckily I have a food processor so making my own cauliflower rice is easy.

Alas it doesn't work as a rice substitute in all dishes, like arroz caldo. Haven't figured out how to imitate the starch leeching into the water to make a congee consistency.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Managed to pick up a bunch of King Oscar Tapatio dines for 50 cents each. Are these good?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kazr posted:

Managed to pick up a bunch of King Oscar Tapatio dines for 50 cents each. Are these good?

You can rarely go wrong with King Oscar.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kazr posted:

For 50 cents, absolutely. Still like the Spanish Style the best though.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

kazr posted:

Clearance? I think KO discontinued them, they were a fav of mine. Great deal!

naem
May 29, 2011

if you get plain KO in olive oil and a jug of tapatio you can recreate the magic at home, in your underpants

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Alas it doesn't work as a rice substitute in all dishes, like arroz caldo. Haven't figured out how to imitate the starch leeching into the water to make a congee consistency.

You could just add a little cornstarch slurry...it doesn’t take much to thicken stuff, so if you’re counting carbs it won’t make a big impact.

Cauliflower is awesome if you treat it like it’s own thing, not a zero carb starch substitute. Mashed cauliflower doesn’t taste like mashed potatoes but it’s still loving delicious. You can make roasted cauliflower and bake it with cheese sauce like baked Mac and cheese. It’s not the same but it’s still super good

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That is very true. I've been enjoying cauliflower (roasted or riced) with 'dines for a while now & it's pretty :discourse:.

I should try the cornstarch slurry though next time I make arroz caldo.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Howd you do that? Sharp knife and patience?

Market had some fresh sardines the other day but I'm going to wait for summer so I can grill em or something.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I used my fingers for the gills and intestines, tried to use my fingers for the spine too but it was too difficult so ended up using a knife to dislodge it. Afterwards I rinsed them in water.

It ended up really good, I made a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper and just gave them all a good twirl in it then up on the pan.

I used these videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipQ8YrRNWKQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTzJdF5dtFo

For how to prepare them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dine eater friend: the american banh mi

just did up some dines on a real soft french roll with mayo and dried, deep fried onions (the things that you put on casseroles). it was pretty good, not super photogenic though

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sardines twice in one day what a lucky fishy guy I am

the madrigals in olive oil are the first time I have ever, in my decades of eating the sandal of life, added salt to a sardine

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 5, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wonder if anyone sells, like, cauliflower pectin

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Someone in GWS recommended this recipe and I think this thread would get a kick out of it. Its not sardines, but I feel that frozen fish sticks are dadly enough that we can let it slide. Essentially you bake the fish sticks up extra crispy, then they get tossed with sautéed onions, chilis, garlic, ginger, a bit of sautéed greens, and pickled onions (the onion method in the recipe is not great, I recommend looking up a different one but it works).

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Someone in GWS recommended this recipe and I think this thread would get a kick out of it. Its not sardines, but I feel that frozen fish sticks are dadly enough that we can let it slide. Essentially you bake the fish sticks up extra crispy, then they get tossed with sautéed onions, chilis, garlic, ginger, a bit of sautéed greens, and pickled onions (the onion method in the recipe is not great, I recommend looking up a different one but it works).

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

Looks like it would hit a bit like Rhode Island style calamari which is one of my favorite things

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

naem posted:

if you get plain KO in olive oil and a jug of tapatio you can recreate the magic at home, in your underpants

But those didn't marinate for years in warehouses and a store shelf.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Crossover with the Wok This Way thread!

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Chinese Cooking Demystified, and today they're tackling a classic staple, two ways: Fried Dace in Black Bean Sauce. That fried rice looks divine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEC5ZfsOYp0

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jet Jaguar posted:

Crossover with the Wok This Way thread!

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Chinese Cooking Demystified, and today they're tackling a classic staple, two ways: Fried Dace in Black Bean Sauce. That fried rice looks divine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEC5ZfsOYp0

Thanks for sharing that. I bought some canned dace and didn't know what to do with it, so I believe I made shakshouka. Using it as a flavoring ingredient makes total sense & I think I'll use some for seasoning stir fry veggies next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

my complaint with the tapatio KOs was the lack of olive oil absorption. you learn that with it missing there's a prominent "fishy" flavor that stands out more. Even more noticeable in skinless dined. The skin (bones too prob) are important in flavor

personally I get the jalapeño KOs and coat em in tapatio sauce. good skinned boned dines fully absorbed in extra virgin olive oil and fat-soluble capsaicin from jalapeño and then coated in that perfect tapatio sauce. A throat-burning orgasm. Do it and never regret it