Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

In the supermarket today:

no toilet roll
no soap
no frozen food
no fruit or vegetables

sardines for days :smugdog:

Can confirm. Just got done working a horror show at a grocery store. Less than ten cans of fish came through my register. 6 tuna. 2 smoked oysters. No ‘dines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Are canned oysters any good? I've only ever had them raw or fried.

They're pretty dang good. I can see some folks not liking the texture. I had a can of Crown Prince Oysters with chilis the other day and it was pleasantly spicy.

Also just had a can of CP Kippers for the first time. Was good on some crackers with a garlic olive on top.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

I learn about this from the goddamned sardine thread

I learned about 'dines from the goddamned sardine thread

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I tried Rosemary & Garlic. No good.

Wanna try those cheddars own their own, tho

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 13, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tried out some of these today on some triscuits. 3 pretty big dines, but lacked much flavor. Took some hot saucin'. I imagine they'd be good in a recipe.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The world is full of excellent art on tins. That Roland label is looking pretty weak.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

Otter Kingdom

Hold up. I need to know a lot more about and possibly visit this.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Smear a little bit of 'dine oil on all of the mice around the office.

Edit: More oil if it's a higher-up's office.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

¿Por qué no los dos?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just had some Bellas in cayenne olive oil on wasa flatbread with chives, dijon mustard, and a bit of pepper. :hellyeah:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Was it somewhere in this thread that mentioned making some crab meat spread?

I remember that post. I looked back through the thread a bit and I don't think it's from this one. Could be wrong, though.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

tSardine Pollastrini di Anzio is some good poo poo. Tin big enough for 3 big fish and two little ones. The oil has a good pepper kick to it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got a few tins of KO kippers today. Didn't notice until I got home that one of them had somehow been pierced and was leaking oil. :rip:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've been jealous of Alton Brown's kitchenaid mixer for 20 years.

My friend just texted me to ask if I wanna go to HMart with him tomorrow. I am excited to visit their tinned fish section.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I managed to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium a month before everything went to poo poo. They have a lot of 'dines. (not my video, but a good example of their glory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBVqXXa-7s

They also have a room where you sit and watch them swarm around you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CWahOj1Do

There's a good reason for this. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is built on a street called "cannery row" where they used to can a bunch of sardines and fruit. Del Monte started nearby and this was a pretty big agricultural area. The whole lobby area of the aquarium is basically a museum of the old sardine canning plant.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Who wouldn't climax with the Smelt Queen?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The main thing I know about Wisconsin is how to pronounce "dagger" and "bag"

daygger and bayg

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Smelt Machine is a real good username.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Shogunner posted:

if this thread fucks with smelt, do yourself a favor and find a seafood city in your area. it's a filipino grocery store, usually with a grill city or crispy town attached.

i rarely walk out without an order of crispy smelt and vinegar

That looks amazing.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kimchi has also been one of my 2020 hobbies. Thinking about going for sauerkraut next. Takes 3-6 weeks to ferment it, though.

I usually at hot pickled jalapeños to any tinnned fish I eat. Nice tang and crunchiness goes drat well with it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ehh I usually look for like a cut-in-half nappa cabbage. Or just a smaller one. This depends entirely on the market you're going to. I know I can usually find the half ones at Japanese markets.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If you've got a good recipe to share I've got a fridge brimming with gochujang

Every one I make is kind of a different blend of methods since they're always way different. Usually what I do is look up a couple to kind of remind myself of the basic ingredients. Here's one that I have bookmarked. I followed this recipe pretty closely once and I would omit the daikon. It's a nice touch, but kind of like the nappa you will end up with A LOT of it.

I usually include some gochujang in mine, but if you can get some gochugaru I think that's what is almost always used as the base.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don’t see why not. The one thing about gochugaru is that’s basically reaallly fine flakes. But if it’s an actual powder then it’ll still turn into a paste.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What's all up in that bread? Herby butter stuff?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Lagunitas has a hop seltzer that’s really good too. Tastes like pineapple and is actually not really bitter. Only problem is it’s pretty expensive, which makes it less conducive to drinking with impunity, which is what seltzer is for.

I've only seen that at a Total Wine, but yeah, I remember a 4-pack being $12-$16 which is the price of a decent 6-pack of real-rear end beer.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

low key sex master posted:

I have never had sardines but I know my grandfather loved them in like mustard sauce

He had them in little tin cans in the cupboard :unsmith:

Gitchoo some. Enjoy at 1:40 AM over the sink.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

the chove and peanut butter sandwich actually wasn't that bad. the problem with it is that there's nothing to balance out the salt, like the salty fishiness tastes good with peanut butter, that's like half of thai food, but it's just too salty in this form. I put some shredded carrot on it and that helped. I'll eventually try again with grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, I may try soaking the choves in coconut milk
Cilantro?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bela sent the Ordinary Sausage guy a bunch of 'dines so we know what one of his next sausages is gonna be.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I didn't post my latest 'dines???

Just King Oscars, but i poo poo myself 30 minutes later from sugar free Tang.

That sounds like a stain. Rub some 'dine oil on it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Had the Lucas stuffed squid in Mediterranean sauce in tonight's salad. It was a'ight.

Saw this in the TFF Chat thread & wanted to share:

Yesssss more sardine salads.

Oh poo poo is that sumac on top? Pro move.

This reminded me that I've been meaning to order some sumac.

Edit: Yeah I'm a dipshit I didn't even watch the vide. Yeah it's sumac.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 13, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Received some literature for my birthday. One of the recipes is battered and fried 'dines with harissa which sounds very good.

Another is basically "hey have you tried sardines with crackers and mustard?"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Y'know that thing where newly wedded folks smash some of the cake in each other's faces? Make it dines.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've had a few meals that were from Sheldon's cookbooks and they have all kicked rear end.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

How much did it cost and how much does it like Mondays?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tabasco's variants are better than the regular. Scorpion, garlic/cayenne, and chipotle are good.

I once had a tabasco soy sauce that was given to me by a friend from Louisiana and it was surprisingly good as a gyoza dippin' sauce.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah this poo poo:

NWS that poo poo. Gotta git me some.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

There's a reason the bonito ones are bomb

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Happy Easter, goons. Now that Lent is over I can get back to my regular nutrition plan: eating whatever I want.

Got some jarred crab meat that I meant to cook a long time ago. Might as well use it in my weekend's brunch.

Shakshouka is my weekend meal of choice, and the crab meat addition added a nice level of protein. That said, I think I prefer regular prepackaged tuna in this dish. I'm

This looks so goddamn good.

I just got an ad on Instagram for King Oscar. The algorithm has finally find my true self.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Let’s get that out over the sink, nice

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This is the situation where they are good in water:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7209041027011792170

Just make sure you offer some to the person sitting next to you