Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

Has anyone had deep fried 'dines? I bet fresh, breaded 'dines would be amazing.
I've never seen fresh sardines sold in a grocery store where I live but I do occasionally see fresh caught river smelt and I can tell you they are delicious fried, I posted about them in the last thread:

quote:

Saw some fresh caught river smelts at winco the other day for 3/lb, made some breading by grinding up some fresh garlic with flour, salt, cayenne pepper and mixing in an egg, pan fried em whole and ate em bone and all with my girlfriend. Turned out super good a+ would recommend.

You can either yank the head off (and the spine will come with it) or just eat it whole if you enjoy the crunch. Easy to do too. The gf in question is from taiwan and can eat with the dadliest of dads, apparently cutting heads off seafood is kind of a western thing and people think it's kinda weird over there, cooking with whole shrimp/fish/etc is much more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like people keep knocking on the cheaper brands but i don't think they're being fair. I've been dinin since i was a kid and while my mom would get me more expensive ones like the tiny tots as stocking stuffers for christmas, on a week to week basis i was eating bruneswick, beach cliff, bumblebee, pretty much whatever and they're all good. The cheaper brands tend to have bigger fish (so the spine is more noticeable, but also easy to remove if you're gonna be a baby) and taste more "fishy", but if you actually like the taste of sardines they're fine. Expensive ones are nice as a treat but there's no reason to pass up the 1 dollar cans. If i were introducing someone to sardines id ease them into it with the milder flavors of ko, but if you're a seasoned veteran you should be able to enjoy other ones too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also someone slammed on bruns herring the other page and thats just wrong. That poo poo is delicious and like a buck at my winco, i pretty much always have a can or two when the mood strikes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Had one of those big oval red cans of dines in tomato sauce you can find in the mexican aisle, heated in a sauce pan with some anchovie paste, oregano, basil, and parsley, ground some cheese in, and mixed it with some rotini pasta. Quick easy and cheap dinner, if you're feeling less lazy you can obviously pan fry some mushrooms or such first but imo dines are best for simple meals.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Crewmine posted:

If you haven't eaten fish for a while you should start yourself off with a nice fresh haddock or maybe cod before you jump in the deep end u fuckin psycho

Eh if you start with something like tiny tots the only potential barrier is visual because those are mild as gently caress. If you get boneless skinless stuff you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from tuna aside from it being a bit more moist.

Cheaper brands are a fishier and more of an acquired taste though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Android Bicyclist posted:

La Sirena sardines are loving awful. Tomato sauce is bland as gently caress & really detracts from the sardines. I'd use them in fisherman's eggs if I was desperate enough to get my 'dine on. Who knew sardines from Food 4 Less would have crappy sardines?

I had an oval can like that once, not sure if same brand but bigger blander sardines in meh tomato sauce too, I just made some pasta with red sauce from them. Bit of garlic, anchovies paste, parsley, basil, oregano, I'd say it was decent. Wouldn't eat directly from a can but as a real quick dinner option it's passable.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Bumblebee plain oil tins were like 80 cents around here and I really liked em, now for some reason they're a bit over a dollar. I tried chicken of the sea as an alternative bottom tier option but they're much more dry and simply not as good. Kind of a bummer.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

pahuyuth posted:

I had a dire 'dine emergency (hadn't had any in a week!) and the only brands available at the store closest to me were Beach Cliff and Brunswick so I had those for the first time. Was severely disappointed especially in the latter. They were both packed in water, and the Brunswick fishies were just a limp, soft, soggy mess with little flavor. The Beach Cliff dines were a little better but still not firm at all. I gave the 2nd can of Brunswicks to my backyard feral garbage disposal kitty and even she was not excited about them but an opossum finally ate them.

To be fair most brands of dines in water suck, i've had both brunswick and beach cliff and they're okay but bumblebee was until recently my goto for cheaper cans.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I have never seen costco offer dines that weren't boneless and skinless so they inevitably suck regardless of how expensive they are.

If you want a deal on real dines look for bumblebees in oil for less than 1$ a tin, great sardines, better than Brunswick, beachliff, or chicken of the sea. If you wanna pay more than that get KO (with skin and bones) but you're just cheating yourself if you go somewhere in between.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

canoshiz posted:

My Costco has Wild Planet skin/boneful in olive oil in boxes of 6 cans, it owns.

I envy you, I was just speaking from my experience but for sure if you see a deal on full bodied sardines at your costco it is your duty to try it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

:( I wasn't aware the skinless/boneless ones were universally poo poo-tier. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be ok with hot sauce and/or mayo on a cracker.

I'm sure they can be fine but in my personal experience they lose their moisture and taste dry unless you pair them with other stuff, I'd recommend making dips out of avocado, cream cheese, and boneless/skinless dines topped with onions/tomatoes/peppers as you see fit but i just don't think they're that good for snackin strait out of the can

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The Snoo posted:

my brother got one of the giant cans of dinty moore from amazon, as an xmas present for my husband who loves garbage. I think it was with prime pantry tho.

but I heat it up on the stove and add msg, garlic and some soy sauce :v: even with lovely canned or frozen food I like to add extra spices and seasoning.
You add more salt to canned soup?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

NmareBfly posted:

I got an instant pot pressure cooker because you can use it as a rice cooker or slow cooker too but I haven't yet. pressure cooking seems pretty dadly, though -- it could theoretically blow up and destroy your whole kitchen.

I have a toaster but I don't really buy bread ever so I haven't plugged it in for about four years.

I have an instant pot and love it to bits for pressure cooking, best way to make real thick stock quickly and fantastic for cooking dried beans without presoak nonsense but the one thing it totally sucks at is slowcooking. If you have a regular crockpot around it's just infinitely better for it unfortunately.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like boneless skinless dines basically don't count. I tried wild planet and they were okay for making dips but i'd rather have bumblebee for straight from the can.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So ASIDE from the universally-appreciated King Oscars, what other brands do you all consider your favorites, and/or "the best"?
On the cheap side plain bumblebee in oil are fantastic and like 88 cents a tin here eat em out of can or in any of the other methods posted itt.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Got a smoker a couple weeks back so thawed a packet of smelt and gave em a shot

Meat was fantastic, bones soft, often when I panfry smelt I'll eat some of em whole and rip off the head/spine like a subzero fatality on others but in this case we didn't leave a scale behind.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

:nice:
I used my smoker yesterday for a dry-aged rib roast, but I think the next thing I'll smoke are some small fishes again. I did small mackerel before and they were :discourse: .

It's been good for big fish too, I've done whole trout, sockeye fillets, and now smelt. Also of course done plenty of pork. I think one of these days I'll see if I can't pick up a whole salmon somewhere and just smoke the whole thing overnight, prolly will turn out great.

Small fish are :discourse: though cause you can literally just eat em whole. Great flavor, great texture. That pack had 15 fish, was like a pound and a half, and we just inhaled em for dinner (with some roasted veg).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

they call me cheap

they call me easy

but they always come back to me

the costco ones are always boneless, skinless, and flavorless sadly. Works okay as extra protein to add to other things but was incredibly disappointed all around.