Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love octopus but I've never had canned octopus that wasn't rubbery and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you feel too guilty to eat cephalopods I respect that but I 100% know any of them would eat me in a second so I just consider it a preemptive strike. Maybe the sight of my local market selling delicious octopus for eating is what keeps them at bay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
pickled herring is so good, but only the kind in vinegar, the kind in yogurt is for villains.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Fried sardines are, in fact, the bomb

Zoe posted:

HEB has jars of pickled herring in the fresh fish section but I have always been intimidated and it's kind of pricey. Reconsidering now, the 'dine thread fills me with courage!
HEB is where I get mine. Someone already mentioned Blue Hill rollmops if you wanna get very fancy (and delicious) but for just the fish I'd suggest the Acme stuff in dill sauce. You can get plain jane Vita stuff anywhere but I only can find the Acme stuff in HEB and boy is it great. Just eat some with crackers and you're good to go.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoe posted:

HEB's Hill Country Fare brand now sells 67 cent sardines here hooooly poo poo.

It says wild caught, but not where. Do I buy all of them, or none? I'm so conflicted.

E: wait they say product of Morocco. Is that good or bad?

I literally just got a tin of their hot sauce ones and they were good as hell, I'm totally gonna stock up next time I go

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also got a can of beach cliff sardines in soybean oil with 'hot chilies', I've never had this brand but usually I'm pretty underwhelmed but I got these cheap so what the hell. Anything cool I can do with em besides just eat them normal or scramble eggs with em like I'd usually do?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
are those sardines in tomato any good? I've never tried em but I usually get disappointed in stuff canned in tomato sauce

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoe posted:

I do not like tomato dines, but I've only been able to try it with the cheap ones.

I mentioned seeing some 67 cents generic HEB 'dines awhile ago. Well I took one can of the plain smoked ones in oil home just to sample it.

The ultimate test of 'dine goodness for me is how they taste kind of mashed up in a bowl of plain fluffy rice. So I waited till the next time I had a big pot of it ready I was using in a casserole and cracked open the can.

Looked a little scary:

(I took this picture to horrify some Discord friends.)

There were a couple of little scales in there that I wasn't sure about, and let's be clear, I'm not in the habit of going near any 'dines that cost under a dollar. But Hill Country Fare is just HEB's great value equivalent and I trust HEB. And drat, glad I did because these were delicious. Nice firm texture and good flavor. Just the right amount of smoke flavor without it being overpowering.

Also tried these at the time which were just a little more expensive:

Now, being that these were also from Morocco and looked identical in size, just a bit grosser because they were broken up a bit, I was like heh okay, these are the exact same sardines just with slightly nicer packaging.' But these wound up going to the dog, the oil was unpleasantly heavy and the fish itself tasted dry in that same weird way tuna in water does. (dog was happy however.)

Since for all I know they'll raise the price later or switch them out for something else, when I was at HEB again on Saturday I bought an entire drat dozen of them. The other flavor there was Louisiana hot sauce, which had already been picked clean as far back on the shelf as any normal human could reach, but only a few of the plain smoked ones had been touched.

It kind of blows my mind that these fish can be harvested on the other side of the world, cleaned and crammed in a can, shipped to stores and still be sold at a profit for 67 cents. Some 'dines on a bowl of rice, maybe with a little steamed broccoli on the side and that's such an awesome meal for barely a dollar in total.

yea I love the Hill Country Fare tobasco sardines, cheap as hell and taste like the ones I'd normally pay a twice the price for.

toiletbrush posted:

plain olive oil dines on toast with onion, chilli, parsley, mint and dill, plus the orange stuff is some tomato sauce/salsa stuff from a recipe someone posted a few pages back that's loving awesome

also my cat foolishly sniffing the manky left over avocado (which didn't go with the salsa *at all*)

holy poo poo that looks good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Went to the international market today :coolfish:

maybe it's just because I have a straight up monkey brain but that Smiling Fish can sounds good, I'd kill for a non-Tabasco or Cholula kind of spicy canned/tinned fish

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also will eat any ocean creature and I adore cod liver so and love the idea of mixing roe with it, gonna have to nab some.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is one of the things I miss most about IKEA. Whole cooler full of pickled herring in any sauce you wanted.

ANY sauce???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i eat this once a week. tuna salad sandwich salad.

ya know this is one of my favorite pre-made salad bags and I never thought to have it with my fish, but that does sound good.

Also, goons, sauce Americaine is a normal rear end sauce, it's got white wine and onions and tomatoes and brandy and...I'm sure other stuff. It's legit don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guildenstern Mother posted:

https://twitter.com/kingoscar/status/1420865504311382018?s=20

Has anyone tried these yet? White vinegar and caper sounds amazing, but I could see it either being really good and the flavors have permeated the whole fish, or really bad and the fish is kind of overprocessed textured from sitting in brine for so long.

I love vinegar and capers so I was already going to like it but these are probably my literal favorite canned fish I ever had