Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
My dinner: toasted rosemary and olive oil bread with a spread composed of KO Mediterraneans (mashed), a little bit of cream cheese, and chopped lacto-fermented garlic. Extremely good and hopefully by Monday I won't stink anymore.

Edit:

cram me sideways posted:

stipulation: if you get the dine dad tag you must actually be a dad and not just a disgusting old male

in which case ahahahah you're a loving dad you god drat idiot all you had to do was NOT blow a baby up your girlfriend wth

what if you literally cannot become a dad out of no choice of your own

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Haiku contest on the KO Facebook page. Prizes include KO sardine forks, vintage sardines, t-shirts, aprons, KO swag, royal taster kits, and KO coupons!!
https://www.facebook.com/KingOscarSeafood/photos/np.1450656597363736.1013036679/1101437733213555/?type=3&theater

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

I bought these shits after stumbling upon the last 'dine thread:

Feed these to a cat; don't even try eating them or they'll ruin sardines for you.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

There's a sardine thread
On something awful dot com
Goons eat the damned bones

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I've been participating in the KO Haiku contest throughout the day and I think I can identify which of the other commenters are goons with 90% confidence.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

there will be a goon backlash against sardines every bit as bitter and harsh as the backlash against bacon

it's coming

enjoy your dines in the open while you can

Whatever, even if sardines become uncool, they'll still be healthy. That could never be said for bacon.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Minarch posted:

ate a tin of dines on pita with honeycup mustard 5/5 would dine again

Oh I read this as with honey, oops. Well whatever, I have garlic fermented honey that would probably be great in this combination. I guess fermenting your own foods is a mom thing? but they go with dines regardless.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

As a part of post-holidays resumption of weight loss (108 pounds since March!), I decided to center sardines in my diet in a big way. Minimum 3 meals a week.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss! You should try making fisherman's eggs; they're so ridiculously full of protein you'll feel full for hours.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/ says 375 but I think there's some sort of dadfight about it going on. maybe because that recipe says to use a white onion but the proper way uses a shallot? i dunno

also I use 3 eggs because 4 eggs is just too many egg

I followed this recipe and made mine in a cupcake tin since I knew I wouldn't be able to eat that recipe in one or even two meals.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Boyfriend won't eat dines, says he doesn't like the scales or bones. :mad:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Lucky's is the poo poo. We got one in Billings about 2 years ago, and it's my go-to spot for dines. I also buy Bela there, but I dislike the cayenne pepper flavor a lot. It just tastes bad.

In spite of the naysayers, I think wild planet at just as good as KO.

Oh man, when I used to visit my boyfriend in Billings, we would go to Lucky's all the time. Me for the Bela 'dines and him for the bacon burgers. Great place.

Unrelated, I had to venture into a Walmart the other day and was stunned to find they had some fancy canned fish not available at my normal grocery store (Shoprite). Picked up 2 good looking cans. The salmon better be God-tier at $5.88.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Update on the Cole's products:

SQUID GOOD. Ate it with garlic naan. 4 squid heads stuffed with rice, tomato sauce, and olive oil. I'll have get some more next time I have to go to Walmart.

SALMON BAD. Not worth the money. Tasted almost identical to the Bumblebee smoked tuna which is $3 less per can. Only difference was that this stuff was moister. It also looked and smelled like tuna.

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 9, 2016

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I used to work for a Bruegger's (chain bagel shop) in college and we could eat anything we wanted on our break. I ate so much smoked salmon it was ridiculous.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Went for a 2 hour bike ride and then ate sardines, a cliff bar, and an apple for my post ride. I've gotten festively plump over the holidays, no complaints, but it's time to do something about it!

Consuming 600 calories after you exercise is probably not going to help you much in that regard.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

How do you figure? If anything it's not even close to refueling after a ride

An hours of "easy" cycling burns like 600 cals. Combined with a BMR of about 25 00 I'm not even close to breaking even.

A harsh ride (or run or anything that gets your HR to zone 4-5) will burn close to 1000 calories an hour.

Yeah, sorry I was mistaken. My BMR is significantly less so if I ate 600 calorie snacks I'd end up obese and/or reverse the good of any exercise I did. My bad.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

It's all good. I race bicycles, not very well, and I'm getting old, 31, so besides just adding volume of exercise which I've done in the past I've decided to start paying more attention to my diet. Plus I'm a bit of a drinker but that's a horse of a different color.

Besides that you should run a budget on your calories in vs out and see where it ends up. You still need to feed yourself at the end of the day but if you can feed yourself calories from good meat (sards, etc) and clean carbs (brown rice) and also veg like broc or sprouts or spinach it becomes a bit of a game. How can you make a cup of brown rice and can of sardines plus some kind of green thing delicious? The possibilities are endless!

My start on calorie counting has made me realize how much I'm working to burn off the beers I've been casually drinking.

Yeah, I use the Myfitness pal app to track my in and out calories. I am female so my daily calorie goal is only 1200.

Unrelated, I found out that all the stupid haikus I wrote when I was at work for the King Oscar Facebook contest paid off!! I'm 3 for 3 winning prizes in the last KO contests I've participated in. I'm split between the sardine fork and the apron.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Hey all you five hundred degree bitch-made clowns, check out this ultra-hardcore recipe from the king himself... does it recommend 600 degrees and a duck egg? 750 and a prairie dog tenderloin? 800 CELSIUS and moose tongue??? Only a click will tell...

http://www.kingoscar.com/recipes-for-a-happier-life/recipes-sandwiches-snacks/sardines-straight-up.html

drat, I wasn't expecting that

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Repost the winner itt when it is time

Also at 1200 I'm pretty sure you're an elf or some kind of were-prairie-dog

I'm 5'5" and 140 and trying to lose 10 pounds (gained weight since the end of the summer). Depressing how little women can eat relative to men. I know some ladies just eat whatever they want and then go to the gym all the time, but I'm admittedly not that dedicated.

And yeah, I'll post the haiku. I wrote at least half a dozen so I dunno which one was deemed grand-prize worthy. There must have been hundreds of entries.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Male Tears posted:

Unrelated, I found out that all the stupid haikus I wrote when I was at work for the King Oscar Facebook contest paid off!! I'm 3 for 3 winning prizes in the last KO contests I've participated in. I'm split between the sardine fork and the apron.

This was my winning haiku. Maybe not as witty as some of my others, but very advertising-friendly I suppose.

Sardines for Christmas
Hey, aren't reindeer from Norway?
Is Santa King O?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

There were hundreds of entries to the KO haiku contest and goons won at least 3 of the 5 grand prizes. Keep it up guys! :3:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Did you other winners all get the "grand" prize? If so goons really did get 5 out of 5 and if you look at the Facebook page there were tons and tons of entries.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I was looking at the King Oscar haiku responses and it looks like there's "grand prize" (5 winners), "1st prize", and free coupons. Guess we'll find out soon what the difference is between grand prize and 1st.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

The grand prize is a sardine fork, vintage sardines, AND a free tin coupon. They also told me the reason I didn't get my prize from the previous contest was due to a mailing error. If anyone else won in the Hanukkah contest and didn't receive anything, they're going to resend them.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

I've eaten fish like, once 15 years ago.

I'm scared of trying new things. Do you just eat the head of the fish and the guts and bones because they're so small or what? Should I try sardines?

Reasons you, Methanar, should eat the dines:
- Omega 3s will make the hair on your head and on your face smooth and shiny (impress everyone in the PYF post your picture thread)
- Nutrients in small fish support brain functioning which will make you even better at League of Legends
- They're delicious

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I'm trying to "get" anchovies on pizza but it still isn't working for me. I love cooking with anchovies, but using it as a topping hasn't been as enjoyable as I liked. I made my own pizza at home with anchovies as well as ordered a calzone when I was out with them. However, in both instances, getting a bite of anchovy was like biting into a pile of salt and it was really off-putting. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I took the train into NYC today and Trader Joe's only had sardines in water. The store was half empty because of pre-storm craziness and they weren't getting a restock til the evening. :smith:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Android Bicyclist posted:

So my trip to Seafood City last week yielded a bounty worth posting.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/EJIXAah.jpg[/tim

Omg, do they have anything like this place on the east coast?? So jealous!

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 28, 2016

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Checked out the fish counter at my local indoor farmer's market and they had sardines! I already have all my meals planned for this week, but I'm definitely gonna grab some next weekend. After I find a good recipe and make em, I'll post the results here.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I should like to become an IRL dad, do you think 'dines will make me more fertile?

Maybe not more fertile, but a new study says that they'll make your brain thicker:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/this-is-your-brain-on-fish/375638/?utm_source=SFFB

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Well, poo poo. Didn't have my tablet with me, ended up at the store and bought Crown Prince instead of King Oscar. And in water. That's what I get for not writing this poo poo down. Should I just exchange them? They're unopened

I was given a can of Crown Prince in water so I prepared it like tuna salad (mayo, lemon juice, red onion) and it was passable.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Keith Atherton posted:

I made a pretty good pasta dish with sardines tonight:

1. Put 1/2 pound of spaghetti in a pot of boiling water

2. Mince up a bunch of cloves of garlic, chop up half an onion and chop a good sized thing (head?) of broccoli.

3. Put the garlic and onions in span in olive oil on medium for a while until they smell done. Toss in the broccoli for a while. Add a cup or so of heavy cream and turn to low. I added lemon juice here (1/2 of a lemon) and I'm glad I did.

4. When the cream has reduced add a can or two of sardines, turn off the heat and let it sit for a little while

5. Add the spaghetti and black pepper and salt and toss together. Fresh chopped parsley would be good on top. I didn't have any

You could probably skip the cream and it would still be good.

Stupid question, but wouldn't the lemon juice make the cream curdle?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I got my King Oscar grand prize today!

Free tin coupon, KO sticker (I have at least 5 of these now from all the FB contests), sardine fork, 3 tins of "vintage" 2007 sardines in a fancy box, and a little booklet explaining their origin.

Box when closed

Sardine fork close-up

Origins of my vintage 'dines

Booklet

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Your pics are nicer than the ones I took, so I won't bother posting mine. Have you tried your vintage sardines yet? I thought they had a distinctly different flavor from a regular ol' can of KO.

Not yet, I'm feeling a bit intimidated by them. How did you eats yours? I was thinking for the purest experience I should eat them plain out of the tin with the sardine fork.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Finally tried the vintage sardines last night. I was really tired from work so I didn't want to make a big thing out of eating them alongside regular KO.

I ate them direct from the can with the sardine fork and the reminder on basmati rice.

Overall, I found the olive oil taste more prominent than regular KO. The dines were very delicate with pink flesh and had a mild flavor. My boyfriend who normally doesn't like dines because of the bones and fishy flavor found these to be agreeable. Overall, they were light and soft with a slight bitter aftertaste.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Did they give different tiers of prizes for this contest or just giving everybody something? I got code KO V-DAY which is a coupon I think.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Overwined posted:

Just so you guys know, Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil are totally legit, and probably my new favorites. There were 4 fish in the can and they were the plumpest and firmest I've ever had. The smell as I opened the tin was sublime, a nice super-fresh fish smell, and a hint of smoke and spice. That fresh-fish smell persisted on the palate as well as the light smoke. The spice was almost unnoticeable upon first bite, but after a few more bites it was a pleasant, flavorful tingle on my tongue. What I like about the spiciness is that it's definitely there and will scratch that itch for sardines and Tobasco. However, if you wanted to ramp up the spice you could add more heat and the robust nature of the fish would stand up, no problem. I can't tell you which was more remarkable, the amazing freshness of the smell and taste or the amazing firmness of the fish.

These things don't seem to be easy to come by. Luckily, there's a little Moroccan Deli in my town run by a very nice Moroccan couple. They cost me $3 a tin, which at that quality level I'm going to go ahead and say they are a stellar value.

Here they are for sale for $1.95! :eyepop: I'm going to keep buying them at the deli because I like supporting those people, but if you can't find them locally, buy them online for next to nothing!

Not exactly cheap given that the shipping for 2 tins is $11.32.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

What's the best way to eat King Oscar in tomato sauce other than straight out of the can?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

King Oscar just posted a coupon :getin:
http://www.kingoscar.com/special-offers

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Aren't you guys worried about mercury poisoning?

No, because sardines are towards the bottom of the food chain and bioaccumulate significantly less mercury than large predator fish like tuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Anyone have experience with Trader Joe's smoked trout? My sister bought me some. Should I just eat them with cream cheese on Wasas like I do sardines?