Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Just had a can of Planet Wild 'dines.

Not a fan. Only 3 drat giant fishes in the can. Sticking with KOs from now on. Life's too short.

I got seven in my last tin. They're inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I had Wild Planet Mackerel the other day. Very firm filets and good taste but not significantly better than herring to justify the much higher mercury content.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If anyone can ever get pickled herring that comes in a jar, try it. You'll probably love it. I developed a taste when I was a kid, and my family would get bagels and nova salmon and cream cheese on Sunday mornings, and also a jar of pickled herring, either in wine sauce (vinegary and sweet, with lots of thin-sliced onions floating in there) or sour cream sauce (also with onions). It's absolutely delicious, and tastes like such a luxury compared to 'dines and canned herring.

My Costco used to sell big jars of Blue Hill Bay brand pickled herring in wine sauce, which is sometimes also labeled Acme -- a major smoked and cured fish producer based in Brooklyn. They sell it at Whole Foods too, with different varieties: wine sauce, sour cream sauce, mustard sauce, dill sauce, and I think there's a spicy one. Of course it's much more expensive there, for much smaller jars. Publix supermarket carries Vita brand, both wine sauce and sour cream sauce, in the refrigerated case near the seafood, where they have the sushi. The other place I've seen it is IKEA, in the grocery section -- their own house brand, but probably the Blue Hill Bay varieties, relabeled.

Seriously, if you can find it, the people in this thread should all appreciate it. Have it with toasted bagels, Ritz crackers, or those terrible Scandinavian crispbreads that I wish I could like, but I just find them hard and flavorless and disgusting.

EDIT: Awwww yeah:
http://www.acmesmokedfish.com/produ...ems_per_page=12

Holy gently caress, I love pickled herring but I developed a nasty allergy to onions (they give me migranes) but it looks like the ginger stuff in your link has no onion. Sincere thanks for that link, I'll have to hunt that poo poo down.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Happy National Sardine Day!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just opened a can of Wild Planets that only had two large fish in it. Was kind of a surprise but they were very tasty and had a nice flaky texture.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sausage stuffing is amazing, especially with crown roast of pork on Christmas.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Polar kippers are great.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

Cooking in the '50s and '60s was pretty bad. From what I've seen of the joy of cooking it's pretty much a novelty now. Maybe some of the baking stuff still makes sense.

Seconding How to Cook Everything as a decent starting point if you must have a book.

There are newer editions of the joy and they are good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I used to get ramen with the chili oil pack. I don't remember the brands but they had like 1000% of your daily sodium.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Looks really good. I grabbed some chicken livers to make pate but I'm going to have to wait until I finish off the lamb ham I made.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Okay, now you piqued my interest.

This article is has a nice overview and I used the recipe at the end. It's not for the dry cured kind. I used thyme instead of rosemary because I loving hate rosemary. I also pulled it out of the smoker at 144 because the last time I cooked lamb to 150 I thought it was overdone. If you wanted to you could put some sugar in the rub and make a barbecue style bark crust but it's already pretty sweet from the sugar in the brine. It's so, so good.

Some pics from my crappy phone camera.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2017

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I get Wild Planet in olive oil.

Not sardines but if you feel like giving kippers a shot Polar is good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I saw some sardine filets today at the store and I had a hearty chuckle. Eat the bones.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Zoe posted:

Oh, this thread still exists.

My first experience with this (or previous?) thread was that it inspired me to try sardines in the form of lovely cheapo Beach Cliff (I think?) sardines that were on sale. And now I'm not necessarily blaming them, but I became violently ill that night and for a long time after that no longer wanted to eat tiny fish from cans.

But I bought a bunch of canned fish products for Harvey anyway, only it turned out filling your kitchen with strong ocean smells is the last thing you want to do when you have no AC or plumbing for a week and the whole house is a sauna full of dog and wet carpet. Things returning to normal here however and I've got a lot of assorted fish things crammed into cans to work my way through. Is there a recipe site somewhere that appreciates these things as much as this thread does, or can someone point me to specific posts with suggestions? I read about fisherman's eggs and I'm aware of the Alton Brown recipe and that is the extent of my sardine knowledge. (The mackerel I have I'm assuming I can treat like salmon and make croquettes?)

e: Also, I have two cans of Crown Prince smoked oysters but didn't notice till now they were from China. Odds on them giving me cancer?

It's pretty easy to just mash sardines up with a fork and stuff and make a nice sandwich spread. I like to do some brown mustard, dill, black pepper and garlic powder. Or you can go with mayo and put whatever you would normally do tuna salad with. If you have some kippered herring you can mix it with sour cream, horseradish, etc. and basically make bacon horseradish dip out of it. It's too heavy for chips but it's good on crackers or toast or whatever. I usually throw in some chopped parsley, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne or crushed red.

For actual recipes, you've got me. You can probably make croquettes or cakes out of sardines just like salmon/tuna/crab/whatever.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I had the wild planet mackerel once and I thought it was really good.

Today I'm smoking my poblano and jalapeño harvest to make spice powders with. Also threw some chops on. Haven't smoked them before but we'll see how they come out. Currently 12 degrees under medium. Starting to get impatient.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Anyone tried the King Oscar mackerel? I really like the Wild Planet ones but the KO are northern atlantic which is supposedly lower mercury content.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Octopus tentacle is good but I'm being told octopuses can be very intelligent so I'm thinking I won't eat them anymore. I haven't researched it squids seem dumb as poo poo so I'll keep on keepin on with those for now.
Octopus is pretty tasty but the canned stuff is a bit rubbery. I stopped eating it because I watched a documentary about octopuses and I felt bad for them, so you wouldn't be the first.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Twelve pack of KO mackerel in olive oil is ~$20 on amazon with a coupon right now. Wound up being cheaper per ounce than the Wild Planet from my grocery store so I'm trying them out.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I tried giving my dog sardine oil but even a little makes her poop too much. She does get the water from the kipper tin, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My 12 tins of mackerel for 20 bux turned into 11 tins of mackerel for free and a very smelly amazon box.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The wild planet mackerel is firm like tuna but with a better taste, imo. King Oscar mackerel is softer and has a different flavor. It's also in regular olive oil instead of extra virgin, so it's not as good for eating out of the can. Good for putting in stuff, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You can eat them here, you can eat them there. You can eat them anywhere.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dog started showing symptoms of UTI after vet hours. Googling showed apple cider vinegar can help but she turned her nose up at it when we added it to her nightly snack. Added the water from a kipper can and some flakes of it to get her to take it.

A good dog.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

General China posted:

Smoked mackerel is the best fish. They sell it every place in the uk and it’s cheap.

I like to make smoked mackerel pate.

3 smoked mackerels
150g cream cheese
100g creme fraiche
Big blob of horseradish sauce
Some dill if you’ve got it.

Put 2 of the fish and all of the other ingredients into a food processor and whiz it. Flake the last fish in with the dill.

I’m not even sure if Americans have dill or horseradish. They may call them something completely incomprehensible to native speakers of the English language, like the dirty foreigners they are.

I do something like this but I just use sour cream and use parsley instead of dill. I also add some hot pepper and lemon juice. We do indeed have horseradish and dill, but creme fraiche is not well known.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I made those wings but I just put all the ingredients in the marinade (no corn starch, obviously) and grilled them instead. Quite tasty, though I wish I had reduced the marinade like the recipe says because they could have used a little sauce. Didn't bother because I didn't want to risk burning anything by leaving sauce on the stove while tending the grill.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Are the king oscar double layers the same as the tiny tots?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I wound up buying a tin before I got a response and the only thing that's different is the wrapper. They're excellent for eating individually but they'd be wasted on a sandwich, etc.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Roki B posted:

I have a three pound tin of anchovies

wtf do I do with it?

post a picture

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Communist Q posted:

I just discovered my inner dine and kipper love. I decided to go with Polar Kipper snacks to start, and man those are tasty. I ended up ordering some KO Tapatio and Matiz gallego dines with peppers after opening a tin. Is there a brand of dine or kipper that goes heavier on the smoke flavor?

Polars are the only kippers I can find without preservatives. Apparently salting, smoking, and canning something just isn't enough.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Had some Puresea brisling in tomato sauce. Fish seemed fine, the tomato sauce was grossly sweet, like spaghetti-os. Managed to make them tolerable by adding some hot sauce, garlic powder and black pepper and eating them on sourdough toast. Definitely not buying them again.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Wild Planet Mackerel is good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Slathered some horseradish onto some kippers tonight. Good stuff.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Twelve pack of wild planets is currently 23.85 on amazon, pretty good discount.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Apparently it's national sardine day.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

I rinse out the tins before they go into the recycle bin.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My buddy doesn't rinse stuff before he puts it in the recycle and I had the pleasure of listening to him complain about having to dispose of a possum that died in his bin because it couldn't get out, and I pointed out that these two things are probably related.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I mean maybe work a vegetable in there but otherwise that seems fine.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Frugal Gourmet was telling people to season their pans back in the 80s, I don't think it's internet pretension.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The dual layer ones with the red wrapper are the same thing if you can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Fish sauce is amazing and I made a recipe, think probably from this thread, for chicken wings with a sauce that's basically fish sauce, sugar, and mint (maybe cilantro and a garlic?). Absolutely delicious.