Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Man ive forgotten about my love of canned fish, and then found this thread, gonna get me some fish next time im at the store.

Also whats the deal with the dad jokes? Because i am a dad, but damned if im gonna eat them over the sink in underwear, thats what robes are for (pro dad move would recommend if you havent tried it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

indyrenegade posted:

Do it

One of us, one of us

Edit: we also have tons of recipes and cooking suggestions upthread!

Thats a going commando reference, what else is a dad robe for?

Also yes need to read up on recipies. For what its worth, if youve never had smoked whitefish then you havent lived.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Whats the deal with ventresca tuna being so hard to find these days? Yes i know its tuna, but its still drat delicious and the SO isnt in co other canned fish the way i am.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Getting back in to my canned fish thing, picked up a tin of brunswick kippered herring.

Edit: i also saw some KO dines in a mustard dill sauce, ive only had them in mustard before but it sounds delicious. Can anyone confirm?

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Had a crazy idea. Are dine tamales a thing?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Had kippered brunswick herring, on watercress crackers with lousiana hot sauce while in my dad robe, 4/5 would do again. Feeling very dadly, tipsy helps.

Work the next morning and midweek drinking, very dadly

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 18, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I enjoyed the brunswick kippered herring, picked up a can of crown prince. Dont let me down prince, i know youre not a king tho.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that one sucks

Maine Root is my fav, Cock N Bull a close second.

Quoting this from years ago because cock n bull ginger beer is rubbish.

Vernors for commercially available, reeds or barritts for the win.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ill have to try goslings next time im sick or makimg moscow mules.

Catching up with thread, what does size matter when aging sardines? Obviously pick a kind i like, but are small or big fish better (generally speaking?)

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sunday night, wAtching a documentary, brunswick dines in mustard dill sauce. Kids asleep, peak dadliness.

Edit: sardine fillets “gormet” no less. Still tasty tho

Edit 2: “gourmet”

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 22, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Finally had a proper can of KO sardines, straight in oil. Were tasty, a little fiahy on their own but nice flavor. How black olivey are they meditaranian ones, i hate olives.

Also, had some crown prince kippers on bagels with cream cheese for lunch, were amazing blew brunswick out of the water. Nice smoked color, big fillets, just right amount of fishy smell.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Whats the word on polar vs crown prince kippers? The crown prince ones i had demolished the brunwick kippers i had recently, but i know polar seems to be a thread favorite.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I was at whole foods yesterday, and theres now a “premium” wild caught crown prince kippers. It was double the regular price so my dadly senses prevented me from buying it. Has anyone tried them, and also arent all herring wild caught?

Also ribeyes are the dadliest steak.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve had plenty of sardines but never herring. Picked up some today but they only had these two flavors. Is curry & pineapple a regular herring flavor???

Is energy supposed to be calories (kcals to specific)? Never in all my life have i ever seen food packaged with kilojoules before, i bet you drive on the wrong side of the road.

In fish news, polar kippers paled in comparison to crown prince. Way more water in the can, fillets not as nice, and not as tasty. Gonna convert a colleague ive seen eating tuna out of a packet over to kippers tomorrow, wish me luck!

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

My 3 yr old girl stole the kippers off my bagel this morning. If it wasnt such good brain food idve been pissed.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I picked up some KO kippers, and they’re suspiciously in the shape of a crown prince can. Gonna bust em open later this week and see if they are just repackaged, to save the 10-15 cents on future cans.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

fakeaccount posted:

I must confess a heresey.

I don't like dill.

Even pickles!?!?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

ferroque posted:

Brunswick smoked herring is the best herring

I slap you with a knight gauntlet bugs bunny style and say “good sir, have you not tried crown prince”

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I picked up a tin of Tapatio KO for only 1.50, sadly it was the last can on the shelf of that variety.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ive really been digging the brunswick sardines in mustard dill sauce. Also got a tin of belas in lemon olive oil i need to break in to.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

LingcodKilla posted:

What fun is it finding stuff to eat that doesn’t have a central nervous system?

Less fun to be sure, but its the right Dad price: cheap

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Was trying to enjoy a pre breakfast snack of dines in mustard and saltines, and my 3 yr old daughter had to get it on it. I know she likes my kippers, but figured that mustardy dines would be safe, nope! She was even dipping the crackers in the mustard sauce.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

OMGVBFLOL posted:

california girl sardines are fuckin huge, come in a 15oz can for less than $3, and are “product of china”.

these are definitely fished illegally and probably processed by southeast asian slaves at that price point, right? or are bigger sardines generally cheaper because they dont fit in the little cans

Does north korea count as southeast asia still?

In dine news, i fed my daughter kippers and saltines for dinner. Still trying to decide if this makes me a good dad or a bad dad.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Zoe posted:

It's here!

just scarfed these straight from the can for breakfast, they're better than even I expected. Putting Tapatio on the sardine just doesn't compare.

Normally i think tapatio is garbage (im a lousiana man), but the tapatio dines i tried were the best tapatio anything ive had.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Roki B posted:

I meant kippers but that's a very good writeup

Tiny tots are my go to

Shame on everyone who posted after this and declined to mention Crown Prince kippers, which by far outweigh brunswick and even KO i dare say

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Even my picky 5 yr old said that crown prince kippers were delicious.

Also, can confirm two fish related meal trips.
1: brunsiwck sardine filets with mustard dill sauce on sourdough are the bomb.
2: salmon covered in miso and then baked is delicious. Need to try with other fishies

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I haven’t fully caught up with the dine thread, but if it hasn’t been posted let me share with y’all the new (to me at least, still grumpy I can’t find KO Spanish).

KO sardines in white wine vinegar and capers.

They are as good as you’d imagine, not very fishy at all, and nice cut from the vinegar. The style label is blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ate tinned mussels for the first time. Lightly smoked in olive oil, from Trader Joe’s. Ate with toothpicks and sourdough, even got my 8&6 yr olds in on it. Will buy again. Any comments on the dines?

Also picked up a can of white anchovies in olive oil for only 3.29, saving those bad boys for a special occasion (read drunk and want salt.)

Sadly the $4 6 pack of Pilsner house brand was so bad I only drank half a can and poured the rest out. Far too sweet, will not buy again. And I am someone that genuinely enjoys steel reserve.