Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm not convinced that is a plate and not a terra cotta saucer such as is stuck underneath house plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

listen up kids cause there's a new canned fish in town

was kinda spendy, but worth the experience. super buttery, more so than can be accounted for by its swimming in olive oil. not real fishy, not salty not smokey. mostly just buttery. meat was about midway between like, soul and tuna, mostly real light but with, like, a finish of density. that the can was exactly half a fish was also kinda cool. it's way down on the list of considerations for tinned fish, but the bream does have some aesthetic swagger to it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

didn't we have a canned buri thread controversy last year?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one of each. the nicoise one on lettuce/greens, the thai one on rice and the aztec one on a tortilla

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sourdough or rye

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the stale sesame candied anchovies I picked up have inspired me. I will have a peanut butter anchovy sandwich in the near future

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

low key sex master posted:

Is this seriously a 210 page thread on sardines

God I love SA so much for weird poo poo like this

the first thread is goldmined. I forget how many pages it has

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the chove and peanut butter sandwich actually wasn't that bad. the problem with it is that there's nothing to balance out the salt, like the salty fishiness tastes good with peanut butter, that's like half of thai food, but it's just too salty in this form. I put some shredded carrot on it and that helped. I'll eventually try again with grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, I may try soaking the choves in coconut milk

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

What bread did you use? I'm betting a nice baguette would help a bit.

sourdough. yeah, a sweet french baguette would've been nice

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Myron Baloney posted:

A little acid like lime juice or some kind of pickle maybe?

I usually soak my choves in red wine vinegar, but I didn't do any acidic stuff on this because I don't think it will really go with the peanut butter

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

remember what you're fighting for our there lads

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't know what you're all doing with your lives, but I've got a tin of anchovies soaking in coconut milk

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

peanut butter and 'chove take 2

soaking the choves in coconut oil ameliorated a lot of the saltines. I should've left the cukes off though, the combo of cuke and anchovy made it taste a little too much like peanut butter sushi. not real sure what I'll use for the crunch. and yeah, all I had for bread was white bread.

the real star turned out to be the coconut milk that the anchovies soaked in. anchovy infused coconut milk with some ginger, garlic and lime juice over rice was dangerously close to breaking the mouth

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

Friends, have your had your sardines today? I have :smug:

:coolfish:

all those dines are why you tell such good stories

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oregoons, a reminder

herring, anchovy, sardine, topsmelt, jacksmelt, and true smelts: limit 25 pounds per day in combination. a separate container is required for each dipper. these may be taken by angling, dip net, cast net and herring jigs

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

instead of being abusive towards me, direct your rage against the portland city council and demand that they extend MAX service to seaside.

with covid impacting the erotic dancing industry, you should be able to craft a net from surplus fishnet stockings

getting out to brookings and chartering a fishing tour does sound kind fun but the shadow of critical failure looms large over all goon group endeavors

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogenic_fish

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's dace (genius of love)

stuff was dry, extremely rich and oily and really salty. no smoke flavor, zero pronounced fishiness. eating a whole can was kind of a mistake. not real sure it's good to cook with as I'm pretty sure the fish will just disintegrate. in hindsight, treating it like canned eel is probably the way to go, over rice with cucumbers and some mirin. it's cost prohibitive for what it is though

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the lady in the video eats some plain out of the can towards the end. I do not feel as though I was wrong or foolish to eat it straight up. I was wrong to eat as much of it as I did in one sitting

80% cacao unpleasantly dark is my preferred eatin' chocolate though so my opinions regarding baking chocolate and analogies drawn from it may be suspect

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

haven't tried them, but k.o. makes or made a tapatio 'dine

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*safe search = OFF*

the hottest sardines

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a can of alshark dressed in a tin sized belly dancer ensemble

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man like how big was the average roman carp storage pond or piscinae? is the one simple trick to beat the fish system a department store inflatable swimming pool and a handful of fry?

also free fishing weekend this weekend in oregon. go forth goons, fish the vanishingly diminished bounty of oregon's lakes and rivers without license, without care

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ligos in "tomato sauce with chili added" are pretty hot.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tldw:

squid are buoyant because they are filled with their own piss. this also makes them acidic so their remains don't calcify ergo no squid fossils

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it is not aliens it is bigfoot jesus

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is that a charles burns placemat? that's pretty cool

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol when my sister was living in stockton we hit up the super king and I got a pack of those wafers and hid it in her glove box. drove her crazy for a week until she found them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

sargreens :v:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

utility is fundamentally unhip. this is proven by pockets. cargo pants are unhip, yet they have the most and biggest pockets. girl clothes, which are very hip, often have no pockets at all, or decorative, vestigial pockets.

sardines are only incidentally the best food, they are essentially one of the most practical. sustainable, cheap, long shelf life, durable packaging.

so I say who needs to be hip when you can stuff cans of sardines into your cargo pockets

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the best way is straight out of the tin, possibly with bread or cracker in the hand not holding the fork

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Vampire Panties posted:

Dipping bread in the oil from the can was a surprising treat.

david lynch's goon posted:

he shall know your ways as if born to them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

These were all unexceptional and fine except for the cockles which were metallic and gritty. Maybe I was supposed to soak or rinse them?

warm them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

having tried the polar sprats from walmart they aren't quite the same, or as good, as I remember riga but are totally worth the price

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just had a tin of atlantic dines.

they looked beautiful, a nice layer of small fishes, skin intact, no floaty pieces or anything, just a perfect presentation. that's where the good stopped. they were super soggy and crumbly, too salty and just kind generally nasty flavored. the disintegrating texture made the, like, minor flavor problems real pronounced because there's this lump of not great fish just straight melting all over your fish receptors. a little lemon juice made them edible, but I was choking the can down because I wasn't going to waste fish, not because I was into it. the olive oil was, I dunno, I hesitate to call it bad but it was too strong for the fish and even after a cider it's still making my mouth and throat feel greasy. maybe good dines to treat constipation or for people who can't chew

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

since the mad man biden has prohibited russian ammunition, can latvian dines be next?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ww2 was a war for sprats

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fH198Pil84

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just ate a can of vienna sausages while looking at my cans of dines. a sort of performance art thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna eat some dines then pose and photograph some legos. who want's to try and stop me?