Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
that brings up the interesting topic of caviar or or roe or whatever that various stuff is called. caviar is basically cured roe, right?

can I find decent versions of it in grocery stores. doesn't have to be fancy cuz you know... for dads

teach me 'diners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Drunken Mussels, prepared in white wine, is pretty standard but really good

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
slather them with colman's mustard

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
an avocado mashed up in some mashed up Season brand dines is just SO GODDAMN GOOD

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
holy gently caress that looks delicious

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Sounds like you're doing it right :cheers: :coolfish:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Get the second best if there are any closer?? Cry??

It is an agonizing dilemma to be sure. Hope you find some canned fish soon goon friend :coolfish: :cheers:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
There sure is! In fact the very first image in the thread is Duck Breast Prosciutto

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
With 5 goddamn kids and 6 other people here for the holidays I'm probably not going to get any turkey or standard Thanksgiving fare so I'll most likely be eating sardines. Which means I will have the superior meal. Get hosed you big dumb bird I'll be happy with my canned fishies.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
:hmmyes:

both are excellent ideas but I'll probably just enjoy my sardines in private with nary a thing but a pocketknife to scoop em out and onto some table crackers.

Happy Thanksgiving, 'dine Dad goons!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
wasa crackers are good in general but there's one variety that is just awful and turns into paste when you chew it- I think they're the Light crackers

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Having a tin of Coleman's mustard powder on hand is mandatory for fixing cheaper dines. And also for everything else because it is delicious.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I greatly prefer sambal oolek over Sriracha for my dine/avocado/spicy stuff/on cracker thing that I eat literally every day. the sambal olek gives better heat

i haven't made fisherman's eggs in forever so I think that will be my thing for tomorrow. gently caress yeah.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Never heard of 'em before but I picked up some Galil brand Moroccan 'dines and tomorrow I'm gonna put 'em in my belly for lunch. Anyone tried them?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well... HOW WERE THEY?

imo eating any kind of olives out of the can is a very dadly thing but especially if there are tiny minced up fishies in them

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Nope. I give em to the dog/cat/goat/alpaca or whatever animal happens to be around then throw the tin away.

For about a week or so i could not find any of my normal dines (season brand in oil) anywhere. This week they were finally back in stock but are now about 50 cents more. Something fishy is going on...

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I picked up some Geisha brand Smoked Mussels and did not like them. The flavor wasn't smoky at all and the texture was just too mushy.

I salvaged my lunch with a can of KO Mackerel. Hot drat that stuff is delicious.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
good catte eatin good fishie

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'll stop eating the Pacific fishies. Spanish and Portugese sardines are better anyway.

edit: lmao who am I kidding. I'm gonna eat all the tiny fishies wherever they're from

nah for real though I'll try to be responsible. I do eat a lot of 'em

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 1, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Roki B posted:

I RAN OUT OF SARDINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is such a bad situation to be in.
It just sucks. Hope you find some tiny canned 🐟 soon

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For me I'd say

Bela > King Oscar > Wild Planet > Season > Reese > Brunswick Gourmet Filets > Brunswick > Chicken Of The Sea > Beach Cliff

Reese brand is probably on par with Season; I need to try Reese more often. They also have smoked oysters and such.

Wild Planet is usually overpriced where I'm at, Belas are hard to find near me, and King Oscar is usually a tad bit more so I regularly eat Season Brand in Olive oil. Although this week KO was on sale so I stocked up on those (18 cans!)

Trader Joe's Mackerel is god tier but KO mackerel is really good

Crown Prince Kippered Herring is good but I didn't like the Bar Harbor can I tried

Wild Planet White Anchovies are absolutely incredible imo and probably my favorite canned fishies

Never had Polar anything

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, Season brand dines are really good. But if you want similar fishies for less money, try Brunswick's "Gourmet Fillets" in olive oil. They are skinless and boneless (boo!) but are quickly becoming my go to at around 2 for $3 while Season are about 2.65/can. The olive oil in the Brunswick tins is much lighter than KO and Season but I usually rinse the olive oil off anyway.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've pretty much switched over to Brunswick dines, away from even the mighty KO. The Brunswick fillets in mustard and dill sauce are so drat good. I usually throw 'em in a chopped kale/chard/spinach/other greens salad. The olive oil and spring water Brunswicks are good too and I usually eat those with a mashed up avocado and some sambal oelek.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really wanted some fisherman's eggs this morning but my ravenous hellspawned kids had once again eating everything I wanted EXCEPT for one last tin of KO boneless and skinless 'dines. I had no eggs, no onions... so I prepared some stone ground grits (get the gently caress outta here, instant grits!) and dumped the fishies in it with some butter and a bit lot of sriracha.

It was goddamn delicious.

Having been raised in the southern US I am well familiar with shrimp and grits but the sardines were just as good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
re-fry the grits you say?
:hmmyes: I will try that

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The trick though is to get stone ground grits, not instant or quick grits. Stone ground are coarser and haven't been processed as much and have a much better flavor. I suspect you could find polenta, instant or quick grits anywhere, but dry stone-ground can be surprisingly hard to find even here in the Southern US. 2 out of 3 large grocery chains that are nearby don't carry them.

Now excuse me while I go eat my daily 'dines with a whole lot of nothing else. :getin: :coolfish:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You lucky dog. Georgia sucks in so many ways.

All you grits virgins need to try a true classic - Shrimp and Grits . I picked that recipe at random but it gives you the basic idea- shrimp, grits, butter, cheese, hot sauce

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh yes. Oh yes indeed. Love the horseradish mustard inclusion. Both substances are divine.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
every Bar Harbor product I've ever tried hasn't had much flavor. the supposedly smoked stuff is just bleh

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've never even seen a can of Tiny Tots :( Guess I'm gonna have to hit up Amazon and give them a try

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Zoe posted:

I've regretted every Bar Harbor purchase I've ever made. (All two.) The fish was bland and so was the sauce.

I just ordered some of those Brunswick fillets with the mustard and dill so I hope whoever was talking those up in here was right. Still have yet to find a 'mustard sauce' that wasn't just tasteless brownish yellow water.

that was me so I'll be interested to know what you think about them. imo they are just amazing in a spring green salad

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Excellent! I'm glad you like them.

What the hell are Canadian style sardines??

One of our cats had kittens six weeks ago and I named the male Oscar. It only occurred to me a couple days ago to make that KING OSCAR in honor of the mighty sardine. Maybe I can get him to develop a taste for them. Weirdly, none of our other cats are interested in sardines at all.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
goddammit. there is another shortage of good dines at all of my usual grocery stores. not gonna go the Chicken of the Sea route so amazon here I come!

I really wanted some sardines today :(

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ me without sardines to eat

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Butch Cassidy posted:

Christ, finding tinned mackerel is getting harder and harder. Had to resort to 12 ounce tins of tuna during yesterday's grocery trip :saddowns:

Gonna check Wally World on my next trip as they are my last hope within an hour's drive.

Wally World is the only store anywhere near me that carries King Oscar Mackerel. It is so goddamn good I can't even

I once got a can of KO sardines that had a card with the KO Mackerel UPC code on it that basically said if your local store doesn't stock KO Mackerel then "GIVE THIS TO YOUR GROCER AND YOU TOO CAN HAVE SOME TASTY MACKEREL!!!" but I gave it to my Grocer and he looked at me like I was a moron for wanting more canned fish. It never appeared on the shelves :(

OMGVBFLOL posted:

had a big pile of spring mix and spinach, sauteed with some rice and beans, a can of beach cliff sardines in oil, two eggs, sriracha, soy sauce. stirred it all up but took it off the heat before the eggs got too hard. tasty

yeah that sounds good. I eat something similar almost every day but I usually don't have eggs and throw in an avocado. and sometimes some Fritos for the crunch :D

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 9, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
yup gotta agree there. Brunswick Gourmet Filets in Spring water are probably the best I've had but that's not saying much

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
now that I think about it, I do like sardines in water every now and then because I can dump a little Coleman's mustard powder into the tin and mix it up. haven't tried that with olive oil 'dines but I don't think it would work as well

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
that looks amazing

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
To me bones are barely noticeable in larger sardines like Belas. I feel a bit of grit for a split second then I'm hit with the delicious flavor of oily fishies. With KO brislings I don't notice them at all and the tails are yummy

If the bones bother you just mash the 'dines into an avocado or eat them with something crunchy like Wasaba crackers because you gotta get that calcium from the bones, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hmm yes i would like to try that.

On the subject of other edible small aquatic creatures, I often find myself looking at cheap escargot at Wal Mart and the like. I see them packed in plastic tubes near sardines.

How terrible are they?