Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
At work, one of the Icelanders mentioned how much he missed good mackerel back home. Fret not, I said, because KO is sending me a mackerel tasting kit soon, so now I'll have a Norseman to eat these with. :black101: Everyone else hates my sardine lunches, but if you got haters you must be doing something right.

My carpool buddy, the Tasmanian, said hey m8 I might try one of those sardines one of these days, so when we get back from break, I'm gonna set him up. First with straight sardine on cracker w hot sauce, but maybe later do something dressier with avocado and sherry vinegar.

Regardless, the workplace dine enthusiasm has been rewarding in spades recently, as this is what I got for my secret santa gift:

I just noticed my cardigan sitting on the basement table so that's extra Dad points I suppose

OP you probably want to put that Wild Planet is a good brand in there, because often times you see it next to the KOs. Solid start to another glorious thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Made Fisherman's Eggs today. Really delicious, one of the best ways to eat them. Hot out of the oven in the small cast iron skillet, and kitty got to lick the tin too :cabot:

Thanks for the suggestion, I had not done this before with sardines, I been a cracker and avocado man until today

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought Sambal Olek today for the first time. I haven't had it on sardines yet, but I was pleasantly surprised of how fresh it tasted. I like my sauces hot, but I was pleased with it's mildness. Had it on stir fry, but will have it on sardines soon.

If you have not tried it, definitely pick up a jar.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

marauderthirty posted:

Was I supposed to dump the whole can, oil and all, into the hot baking dish? Because god drat that poo poo was popping like a motherfucker

E broke all 4 yolks, guddamn I suck at cooking :saddowns:

The pan might have been too hot. Usually I go easy on the oil putting it in

EAT IT AND TRY AGAIN

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I usually drain most of the oil out before I put them in the dish, but do what you like. I don't mind the oil, but sometimes prefer some fresh olive oil instead of the can oil. Less dadly, but delicious.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:agreed:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

doctorfrog posted:

Sardine article.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/comfort-food-sardines.html

Goon trigger warning: the above article is written by a woman and doesn't appear to cloud itself with masculine declarations.

At the end she talks about sustainability. How sustainable are KOs, or do I need to switch to Wild Planet or Bar Harbor?

I dont want sardines to get fished out

gently caress im a hippie, an oily one at that. Had Reese sardines today. Not bad, but the can wasn't full. 3/5, had them with Valentina

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

NmareBfly posted:

Cracked open my last rack last night, time to reup my subscription. Maybe I should get one of cracked pepper instead? Eh.

:captainpop:

I like the regular ones. That way you can put fresh cracked pepper on em using whatever grind you like

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Had some Trader Joe's Smoked Trout today over brown rice and hot sauce. Quite delicious, a nice departure from sardines.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Just cook brown rice in a little bit of stock, flavors it nicely.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I always like to add my own hot peppers.

This is the superior method

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
^^^^ Good man

I made pro tier fisherman's eggs tonight. Included filthy, oily sink in background and ate these in sweatshirt and track pants. Washed it down with seltzer water mixed with half a dried up lime I found on the counter

Girlfriend tried it, liked it

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
You know better than to de-spine sardines and post them here :shepface:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Costco had Seasons in oil. Wasn't sure whether to stock up or not, as I'm a KO man, like most of us.

What's the goon word on these?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
From a few pages back re: Asafoetida - it is a fart suppressant

Interntional use of antiflatulants is highly undadly. Proceed with caution

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Bumblebee smoked oysters. Suggestions? Straight out the can, hot sauce, cracker?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Was at the Costco today and saw a 6 of Seasons for $10. Snatched them things up, gonna cook them in some fishermans eggs or do whatever else with em

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

super macho dude posted:

brb converting my basement into a 'dine cellar

Already workin on it

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a sardine success story that I need to share with the crew

Last night, my girlfriend hosted a happy hour at our house with her workmates. Nothing fancy, she put out some cheese, crackers, and so on. She likes fisherman's eggs, and therefore I say she's a kipper.

Anyway, not sure how it came up, but she said that her workmates wanted to try sardines and had not before. Mind you, the three girls are all in their early twenties. I was pleased that they were so adventurous as to try them, as I would think that particular demographic wouldn't be so game. I quickly fetched and drained a tin of Wild Planet into the sink, and had them try a a few chunks as-is. Not bad, they said. One of the pieces had a secondary chunk hanging off by a piece of bone or skin, and I said "oh, that's normal" when I got a slight look of apprehension. They were good sports.

After they tasted them from the can, I noticed that there was an avocado on the counter. Thinking quickly, I mushed dem dines up with the avocado, grabbed a random half lime in the fridge, salt and peppered the mix up, and said now check this out... Served it on a cracker and had them have a sip of white wine afterwards. They were hooked! Really liked it, and went back for more.

I then showed them how we do it Dad style and put a big hunk of spine dine on a cracker, dumped a big ol glop of sambal oolek on there and took it straight to the head.

Anyway, I hope you liked my dine story about an unlikely group of girls really enjoying sardines at my house. Sardines are not just for dads. :sax:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Saw this today in the Asian Market today, 8.5 lbs

:eyepop:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
KOs for lunch today. Hot sauce, cracker and kimchi.

Ate em up in the lunchroom at work like a seal, tails sticking out my mouth

OORP OORP

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We made a delicious shallot / Brunswick herring butter last night with a quick fennel / orange rind pickle along with it. Her idea, she's a kipper.

Dine that poo poo up on the 4th yall

Planet X fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 2, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
A fine lunch

what yall doin

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Let me tell yall something about oysters. Well, two.

First off, you need to try them roasted. To me, this is one of the best ways to eat them. I learned this from the waterbillies down in the Northern Neck of Va, where the Rappahanock Oyster is king. What they do is simply heat up a grill and throw them on. You can also do this with a toaster oven.

What this does is slightly cooks the oyster as well as makes it easier to open. You cook them to your liking - you can just warm them for 5 minutes, or cook them until they're a nugget. Best to me is "al dente" where they oyster has a little bit of texture to it, but the liquor is still there. They pop open from the heat, which makes it easier to shuck. Give it a try sometime.

If you like oysters and can find one, pair them with Muscadet wine. It's a classic pairing. Saying "classic pairing" is dadly so if you dont like that just drink a tall boy and be like gently caress it

Oysterchat

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yesterday I had wheat Triscuits with sardines and a homemade hatch chile hot sauce. I ate all this in a conference room while watching coworkers play Mahjong

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Look Sir Droids posted:

Gonna need a recipe for that hatch chile sauce, sardude.

OK here's what's up with the hatch chile thing

Every year, Wegmans (which is an East Coast groc store chain) does a hatch chile roast where they get these big cases of them and they set up outside roasters like in the southwest. Therefore, I bought a whole case of them because they're delicious and they freeze well.

What I did was loosely based on this, which I've done before,

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

..but what I really did was puree a bunch of already roasted, defrosted hatches and some good quality apple cider hippie vinegar

Softened the onion in a little oil, then garlic, mixed in some cumin and tumeric, folded in, salt to taste

I like the sauce a little thicker and with the texture of the onions. Its not a vinegary hot sauce, more a relish and it's amazing on eggs too.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Best part, Dadliest part of daal is the inevitable uncontrollable gas

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Which is the gassiest daal? Thank you.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Both are good books.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Kimchi, Seasons and a (delicious!) mystery homemade hot sauce I found in the back of the fridge. Cat was circling like a shark. Done gone crazy even before the can popped open

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I had some dines w shallot and avocado on a sandwich today. :tipshat:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Saturday sardine wrapup. BTW I liked the story earlier about the dine dad that took a post dine parknap after escaping his noisy children.

So yall have been talking about the KO mediterraneans. I usually go for plain olive oil ones but I was in the store with girlie and grabbed some med ones. I got the eyebrow because we're moving soon and have been trying to eat through things in the cupboard, not add to my already rich and full canned fish stash.

Busy day, prepping for the move, hungry by noon, so we came home and threw them into some leftover clam pasta with peas from the other night. Amazing, will always keep these med dines onhand due to convenience of just throwing them in!

Had to go back to the grocery store for evening dinner things and bought another can so I dont have to go without. She saw it in the bag and said YOU BOUGHT MORE?! and I was like :black101:

Lastly, we needed something to put the bacon grease in after Saturday night's dinner, so she grabbed the dine can that I had given the cat for lickins :3: and I put the bacon grease in the dine can. I was cooking outside and left the can on the ground. The dog was quiet for a while, so she went out there and the dog had gotten into the bacon grease dine can! Miniature wirehaired bachund running around the living room all greasy. :smugdog:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The other weekend I was like gently caress it and made the fishermans eggs for lunch (again). It was bomb, you just take what you have, throw it in that oiled up tiny cast iron skillet and next thing you know its late lunch on a Saturday and you didnt have enough for breakfast so its super hittin' the spot. Dump a bunch of Sambal Oolek on it with a wheat toast heel and all of a sudden you have the strength to get back out there and do whatever you need to do.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

numberoneposter posted:

i think that people in this thread make up the majority of the KO competition and thats just great

I placed!! :coolfish:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a choice of the apron, a shirt or a hat. I'll probably take the apron, as I have a billion t shirts (including a bootleg KO shirt from eBay) and I don't know what the hat looks like.

Any suggestions?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I did. I just don't know if it's a ballcap (which didnt come up in the search) or King-of-Scandanavia hat. I assume the former.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Zoe posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a case of KO dines in Tapatio from Amazon since they seem to just be impossible to find here. I like KO, I like Tapatio, hopefully this can't go wrong because I'm gonna have 12 cans to get through.

Yeah keep us posted because I'm considering this

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Anson Mills sells boutique grits and grains

Gonna split an order with my pal

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I put some sardines in my ramen the other night

Thank you and god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Double dine weekend, kinda.

Did a ton of yardwork then came in and busted out some KOs with some shallot, leftover rice paprika parsley and whatever. Stovetop then broiler, topped with a half a avocado I found in the fridge for quick guac

Then tonight the wife made salmon cakes with a side of sweet potato hash and a whatever tartar sauce with year out of date horseradish. Dont care.