Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

someone in the last thead said to get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Mackerel-Fillets-Tom-Yum-Sauce/dp/B00HV3K6IK/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1450476992&sr=1-1

and they were loving tasty but now there are no more @ amazon.

nice and meaty fillets with a tasty spicy sauce that I kinda wanted to drink right out of the tin afterwards but I was vaguely scared of heavy metal poisoning because it came from china so i didnt, this was likely a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

They're not the same place?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I had fisherman's eggs and miso soup for dinner twice last week. I know it's theoretically a breakfast thing but I roll out of bed about 10 minutes before I should be out the door so I don't have time to bake anything.

Anyway it's a tasty and filling dinner and takes very little prep. A+ will eat again probably semi-weekly for the rest of my life. maybe less if I find a lady friend that doesn't want me to have garlicky sardine breath when we make sweet love every night but I dunno it might be a dealbreaker.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

~~Fisherman's Eggs~~

Preheat oven with oven proof dish inside to degrees. Into the heated dish place a can of sardines, a small sliced shallot some parsley (like two trees chopped up) and two chopped cloves of garlic, some pepper. 6 minutes.

Remove the dish and put four eggs in, season. 7 minutes.

Remove and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve (with toast and hot sauce).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/ says 375 but I think there's some sort of dadfight about it going on. maybe because that recipe says to use a white onion but the proper way uses a shallot? i dunno

also I use 3 eggs because 4 eggs is just too many egg

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I always call it a tin because saying I ate a can of something makes me feel low-rent. Sardines have more dignity than that.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Cracked open my last rack last night, time to reup my subscription. Maybe I should get one of cracked pepper instead? Eh.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The little grocery mart near my work has a decent little tinned fish selection. I keep thinking about trying some of the guys on the bottom right but am scared. Would doing so be a mistake?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah, I mostly meant the clam guys. Might also see if the six dollar sardine is worth six dollars (no).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Claussen are unequivocally the best pickles.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Okay I guess there might be some handmade arsenal small batch organic pickles made by a virgin monk under a waterfall that are better than claussen but basically i'm just saying if anyone goes to a regular grocery store and comes out with vlassic they should get that crap slapped out of their hand and then have their face rubbed in the broken glass and brine like a dog who pooped somewhere inappropriate. This is also true of beach cliff sardines.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Maybe the guy just chomped down on a big raw garlic bulb? I did that once on a dare and it was in fact pretty awful.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Is this now the grandad food thread?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Chicken of the sea one dollar per. I got a couple as backup for fisherman's eggs because I mash 'em all up anyway so it's not that big of a difference but it felt really weird putting them on the same shelf as the rack of KO's.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I make my fisherman's eggs at 400 because I'm an indecisive middle-of-the-roader.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

When I put sardines in soup I sometimes try to take out the bones. :ohdear:

I feel like I'm a failure every time and the bones don't bother me when I'm eating them on a cracker or a sandwich or in fisherman's eggs usually but when it's in soup the vertebra separate out and it's just a little piece of grit mixed in there and kind of bleah. I'm sorry, thread.

Sizone posted:

there used to be a sardine and spinach soup recipe that frequented the rounds on the old sardine thread, maybe someone will repost it here

http://asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

triscuits

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

have you tried: triscuits

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Capoeira Capybara posted:

After all, what's dadlier than saving money on delicious canned fish you were going to buy anyway?

saw a 12 pack of riga sprats on amazon for twenty bucks, bought it. felt good about my life choices.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I have not had the other riga sprats but I will happily review these when then show up next wednesday or so.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh, I forgot to review riga gold.

they're good. Smokier than KO's and maybe a tiny bit mushier but nbd. Smaller too. Only real problem I have with them is that they're packed in straight vegetable oil which has no real flavor itself so they're not as good for just snacking from the tin, but I made some fisherman's eggs and the spinach soup and both were drat tasty. A+ will buy again when my larder is low.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

have you tried putting them in your mouth?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Also, just ordered a pack of 12 of these to try off Amazon:

these are my go-to's for fisherman's eggs at the moment. KO's (jalapeno or mediterranean) for snacking on triscuits and chicken of the sea for throw in soup (they're bigger so the spines are easier to get out) / other cooking. Note that the riga tins are 5.6 oz so they're more bang for your sardine buck.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Ordered another 25 tins of Rigas from amazon. Even with non-prime shipping they comes to just under 2 bucks a tin and they're 5.6 OZ each as opposed to KO's $2.75ish per 3.75 OZ. KO's are tastier and have better oil but c'mon.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

$50 well spent

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Also I didn't realize canned sardines last for such a long time. The expiration date on my tin was 2020.

This is important because it means you can justify buying any number of sardines. They will be very valuable after whatever apocalypse scenario you subscribe to or alternatively at some other point before then when you are hungry.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

How is there 74 page thread on sardines?!

If you need to catch up on all the exciting sardine content, here's the old thread -- it was 83 pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

A fork, probably.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Lately when I make fisherman's eggs I take the bones out because I find the texture distracting. I feel like I've failed every time I do it, though.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I got an instant pot pressure cooker because you can use it as a rice cooker or slow cooker too but I haven't yet. pressure cooking seems pretty dadly, though -- it could theoretically blow up and destroy your whole kitchen.

I have a toaster but I don't really buy bread ever so I haven't plugged it in for about four years.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

the yeti posted:

cooking-things-slowly device.

This is the opposite of a pressure cooker, just fwiw

I've gone through about half of these and they are all pretty good + tasty http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/pressure-cooker-recipes.html

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

hm. these appear to be some big honking sardines. must find fresh. https://washoku.guide/recipe/823305

also 12 minutes seems like way too much time, I think they will completely evaporate? iono.

also there are a bunch of recipies for spanish style preserved sardines around that use a pressure cooker. weekend project maybe? http://www.overseaspinoycooking.com/2009/12/bottled-bangus-or-tawilis-in-oil.html

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 21, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

been working on my shakshuka game. Have discovered that it's totally possible to make a big batch (sans eggs) on the weekend and freeze portions. Move from freezer to fridge before bed, then in AM reheat to simmer, add egg, eat before work. Recommend this. take too long to make fresh before work.

small skillet very cheap and perfect for this purpose, also works for fishman eggs. eat from pan. use plastic fork so not scratch seasoning.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 29, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

oh huh, my momma always told me not to use metal on cast iron because the seasoning must be protected at all cost. I guess she might have done me wrong.

Now that I think of it, it might have been a metal spatula and not a fork.

Well, at least it's a real myth and not something my mom just made up.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 30, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Put an anchy or two chopped up in anything umami imo. Don't overdo it other it'll be fishy but a lil goes a long way and is an excellent secret ingredient.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

friends talking about stocking on for our upcoming nationwide quarantine reminded me that i needed to reup so I ordered three cases on amazon. :toot:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

friends talking about stocking on for our upcoming nationwide quarantine reminded me that i needed to reup so I ordered three cases on amazon. :toot:

Quarantine prep complete

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

my standard sardine delivery vehicle these days is a bowl of kimchi fried rice. it's easy af and you put a fried egg and a tin of sardines on top them mush 'em as much as you want.

this with frozen veggies + sardine has basically been getting me through quarantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFWLzxCoYs

if you don't have gouchujang in your fridge you're missing out btw you can put that poo poo in all sorts of stuff.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 31, 2020

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

https://www.asianinamericamag.com/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

Made with boneless skinless which I know is basically a crime but it's what I had and in soup the little vertebrae can just end up at the bottom of the bowl and aren't great.

Added like a teaspoon of cayenne paprika and some tomato paste cause I only had a tiny tomato

Served over ramen noodles (boil, drain, throw away salt packet) cause I didn't wanna make rice

Homemade chicken bone broth

Good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I get a chopped salad bag from Wegmans and put the sardines on top of that

then I eat it, likely with a fork