Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I made a pan bagnat with some French bread, garden tomatoes, basil, garlic, kosher dills, onion, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and KO dines instead of the usual oil packed tuna. Wrapped tightly in plastic and rested overnight.

Was pretty good but needed more acid. Next one will up the pickle and vinegar percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2018 was a fine year for dines

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Excellent post and dog

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Android Apocalypse posted:

Luckily I have a food processor so making my own cauliflower rice is easy.

Alas it doesn't work as a rice substitute in all dishes, like arroz caldo. Haven't figured out how to imitate the starch leeching into the water to make a congee consistency.

You could just add a little cornstarch slurry...it doesn’t take much to thicken stuff, so if you’re counting carbs it won’t make a big impact.

Cauliflower is awesome if you treat it like it’s own thing, not a zero carb starch substitute. Mashed cauliflower doesn’t taste like mashed potatoes but it’s still loving delicious. You can make roasted cauliflower and bake it with cheese sauce like baked Mac and cheese. It’s not the same but it’s still super good

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Someone in GWS recommended this recipe and I think this thread would get a kick out of it. Its not sardines, but I feel that frozen fish sticks are dadly enough that we can let it slide. Essentially you bake the fish sticks up extra crispy, then they get tossed with sautéed onions, chilis, garlic, ginger, a bit of sautéed greens, and pickled onions (the onion method in the recipe is not great, I recommend looking up a different one but it works).

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

Looks like it would hit a bit like Rhode Island style calamari which is one of my favorite things

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Fish Tacos

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

The Voice of Labor posted:

not directly 'dine related, but one of the local beer brewers brews, as part of their soda line, a lemon lime and hop soda. it's kinda like beer flavored soda, so now I have dad soda to go with my dad candies like horehound and fisherman's friends

Lagunitas has a hop seltzer that’s really good too. Tastes like pineapple and is actually not really bitter. Only problem is it’s pretty expensive, which makes it less conducive to drinking with impunity, which is what seltzer is for.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Did you guys know that there is a Portuguese fish tin museum?

https://conservasdeportugal.com/category/cans-embalagens/

Some cool lookin deen cans

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

sock it to me! posted:

I opened a bloated can of anchovies once and the smell will forever haunt me.

I too experienced the bulge recently and did some anchovies research. Anchovies are not actually preserved/pasteurized like deens, just salted, and can be expected to bulge over time from some really buff but ultimately harmless bacteria, especially if left in a warm place, sometimes before the expiration date. You can make them last longer by refrigerating them.

https://www.kingoscar.com/about-our-anchovies/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://youtu.be/mbrWJlQg-jo

I’m sorry if this has been posted before

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Pickled herring on top of a dollop of egg salad on a ritz cracker is a Swedish tradition with my family during the holidays or whenever really and it slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Roki B posted:

My RTG order came with a paper printed cookbook

idk wtf panch phoron is, though it did not seem to matter

I just made this with some canned smoked salmon I had that I wasn’t super impressed with on its own, and it was excellent. Thanks for posting :)