Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Admiral Bosch posted:

if we're rehashing recipes, it's a good thing ~~*my girlfriend*~~ asked me to make alton brown's sardicado sandwiches at half past midnight, because she is a good woman with good taste

Man I would love a 'dine-loving lady friend. That would be living the life

If you're doing the fishermans eggs recipe at 500 degrees watch that poo poo like a hawk because an extra 30 seconds can turn glory into :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bengy81 posted:

I like canned trout. The stuff from Trader Joe's is great, it's unfortunate it's packed in canola oil and not olive oil though.

Their mackerel is good too!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I always miss out on the KO promotions because I avoid Facebook

Had Trader Joe's boneless/skinless mackerel and I almost like it as much as their smoked trout. I was expecting it to be super fishy and oily but it was very tasty

My neighborhood QFC supermarket has a shameful sardine section

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Something simple like nice greens with diced shallot and a mustard vinaigrette with dines would be good. Avocado in there too?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Used a tin of Seasons in olive oil last night to put into pasta.

Pros

Tin was densely packed

Mild flavor

Cons

Fish were so densely packed it was hard to get them out of the tin

Hard to open tin without splattering oil all over

Kinda bland - like high end canned tuna

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

naem posted:

"hot sauce" is one of those things that once you like you just start putting it on everything

This is my what happened to me after I went to Vietnam and discovered nuoc mam

Fish sauce works in a lot of stuff

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Trip report: I didn't get poo poo. I must have gone to the wrong one because the selection was garbage. Where dem harissas at??? KIPPERSS

Their harissa dines, smoked trout, and mackerel are all good

I have a friend that shops there and I just give her $15 and let her choose tinned fish for me

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I helped an old man at the supermarket find braunschweiger today and he was so pleased that he thanked me and shook my hand. My dadly food expertise has never paid off so richly.

I posted in the last thread about sitting next to an old man at my neighborhood bar and we ended up talking about sardines

The next time I came in he pulled a can of Orleans brand sardines out of his pocket for me

I brought him a tin of Belas the next time and he didn't want them :smith:

Should have brought KOs

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've never had canned eels but if I ever do I will garnish them with a sprig of parsley

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Isn't it supposed to be bad to eat eels?

Like they can't be farmed and they're getting overfished?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

followed up those EXCELLENT dines with some Bumblee Dines i got at the Jons market, which usualyl has good Dine selection, alas, the Bumblebee brand Dines are pretty bad. Sludgy and mostly flavorless. The one perk they have is they retain that silvery color of the original Dine, but they have bad texture. Overall an inferior Dine experience.

The 2 packs of Dines and their compliment crackers bring this dinner to somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 calories, and I must refrain from eating more Dines, which pains me to my very core.

Bumblebees in mustard are pretty decent bargain sardines

Treat yourself to a tin of Bela sardines someday - toasted baguette rounds with hot sauce and/or guacamole

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BaconCopter posted:

I'm repeating myself from a few months ago, but I cannot thank the Goons who recommended these enough:

Imported from Germany :smuggo:

Some seriously good fish in here that's still a heckova lot healthier than tuna. The smokiness is perfectly balanced with the fishiness. A great alternative for us kipperfiends out there.

Trader Joe's smoked trout is awesome and I bought my Mom a tin to gradually get her into the world of sardines

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I posted this in the old thread but I was talking about sardines with an old man at my neighborhood bar. I showed him the tin of Belas that I'd just bought and he said "Oh the hell with that man, KING OSCARS!"

The next time I came in he gave me a tin of dollar store sardines. They were really good

I tried to reciprocate and brought him a tin of Seasons the next time and he refused my offer. "Nah, I don't want that stuff"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

evilmiera posted:

Strangely, despite being a Swede, we have no real access to King Oscar here. We have Gustaf instead, tho only in tomato sauce. It is kind of mindboggling that the two different brands are apparently a thing, given how the Oscar in question was also a Swedish king.

What I am trying to say here is that I wish I had access to more cool dines locally. Especially since Gustaf is apparently made from sprats.

You have hákarl and surströmming for your fish eating needs

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Iceberg is fine if you've got other stuff in there with fiber and vitamins and flavor

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pahuyuth posted:

Today I ate Trader Joe's Smoked Trout in a can AND I ate some Bela 'dines. Today was a good day.

Hell yeah :coolfish::hf::coolfish:

TJ mackerel is really good too

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pahuyuth posted:

Any of you had Matiz brand or Angelo Parodi portugese fishies? I'm looking at ordering some off of Amazon and just wondering if it's worth it to get the 10 pack of Angelo which is around $40. The Matiz fishies are $18 for 5 and $36 for 12

thanks and 'dine bless

Matiz in olive oil are very good and worth the premium price

My second favorite after Belas

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Some day I will have freshly caught sardines in Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Italy or Sicily

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Tnuctip posted:

Finally had a proper can of KO sardines, straight in oil. Were tasty, a little fiahy on their own but nice flavor. How black olivey are they meditaranian ones, i hate olives.

Also, had some crown prince kippers on bagels with cream cheese for lunch, were amazing blew brunswick out of the water. Nice smoked color, big fillets, just right amount of fishy smell.

The Mediterranean ones have lots of black olives. I don’t like canned black olives and I didn’t like them at all

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What's a good cracker that I can get at any grocery store for sardines? I only have Wheat Thins right now but those will not work.

oh wait I think I have saltines. Well I'd like to try something else.

Black pepper Triscuits are my go-to

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ritz go really well with cheapass dines

They get soggy so they are great for “over the sink right from the tin” eating

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Radio Nowhere posted:

Anyone heard on KOs latest haiku contest, or are they still sorting through all our terrible poems?

I posted a haiku but it was apparently not up to snuff :(

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 19, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

numberoneposter posted:

i think that people in this thread make up the majority of the KO competition and thats just great

I was a first place winner in this contest!

They’re sending me a “Limited Edition box of Vintage Sardines” and a t shirt

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I won a first place prize in the KO haiku contest in December

They sent me a box but I hadn’t opened it til tonight

Hmm what’s in here?

A t-shirt, a fancy box of vintage sardines, two coupons, and a plastic lid to cover your unfinished ‘dine tin when you put it in the fridge

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Yeah it won’t get any use in my house

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't remember offhand and can't be arsed to search - what is the thread opinion of Beach Cliff sardines?

Had them for the first time today and they were okay mashed up into a bowl of rice. Big ugly chunks of sardines but appeared to be cleaned well, maybe a little dry and more fishy tasting/smelling than better sardines, but they were actually okay for my purposes. They only had them in tomato sauce, which I was dubious about, but with a liberal amount of sriracha they were okay.

Then again I use Chicken of the Sea sardines the same way, so I might have a higher tolerance for cheap 'dines than some.

I had Beach Cliff in soybean oil as my introduction to sardines and man that was a bad idea. Fishy but nasty. Need those sauces if you’re getting cheap sardines. Or if you’re a wuss like me

I loved Bumblebees in mustard but can’t find them in any store close by

Bought a can of Belas in olive oil after the Beach Cliffs and learned you can’t cheap out

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Sardines in olive oil gives you a double whammy of good heart oils

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Tails are way more noticeable

I think KO Mediterranean were the ones I had with them. I did not eat the tails

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Wish I could do goat cheese and blue cheese. I know I’m missing out but my brain and tastebuds say “This is rotten - do not eat this”

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BurgerQuest posted:

Fine sar-dining for late lunch with some cherry matos from the garden

These were Brunswick in olive oil and pretty flavorless tbh but I'm full and happy so whatever.

I found some brisling the other day which is next on the list to try.

You’ve inspired me to grow tomatoes in my back yard which I can’t believe I’ve never done before

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Trader Joe mackerel and smoked trout are seriously good

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My buddy started getting gout at age 50 (like it was agony to have a bedsheet touch his big toe) and takes a cheap prescription drug that enables him to not build up lactic acid and he can eat the dines again

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Honky Dong Country posted:

I need to ask a question that's been asked a million times. Can somebody post the common goon-approved fisherman's eggs recipe? I want to try it with my mackerel.

On the same subject I want to suggest that a new Canned Fish Megathread be started so that recipes like this that get frequently asked for can be maintained in a proper OP that isn't burdened with shameful user/forums history/meltdowns. I have no doubt that Burt and Grindcore and so on would be fine with shutting this thread down and allowing a new thread with an updated OP to rise in its stead. All hail the New Fish.

I tried the recommended goon recipe for fishermen’s eggs and do not recommend

500 degree oven will ruin the whole thing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There were definitely people claiming that you needed your oven as hot as it could possibly go to. I typically add onion, celery, tomato, and garlic, then bake at 375F for around 15 minutes. The last time I made it I added some bits of smoked sausage and it was good.

Yeah it’s not complicated

If you are able to sweat the onions and get your garlic smelling good you don’t need a furnace to finish it off

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

sexpig by night posted:

I also got a can of beach cliff sardines in soybean oil with 'hot chilies', I've never had this brand but usually I'm pretty underwhelmed but I got these cheap so what the hell. Anything cool I can do with em besides just eat them normal or scramble eggs with em like I'd usually do?

I’d use them as an ingredient

I had Beach Cliffs in soybean oil as my introduction to sardines and that was a bad idea. I found them to be fishy but not in a good way

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Still too intimidated to try these in fear I’ll not do it properly

I guess really good toasted baguette rounds with guacamole and hot sauce

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thanks for the replies, goons. I've been thinking about mackerel, but never thought about halibut or swordfish. When I look for smoked fish recipes, they almost all go to salmon first. That's not a bad thing per se (I live in the Pacific Northwest so smoked salmon is a common thing) but I was wondering what other fishes were known for being smoked/is available for me to try this out.

Trout

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We're about to get hit with Hurricane Dorian (probably on Tuesday), so I'm cooking all my perishables but ready to bust out the sardines, since we'll almost certainly lose power. I have a big collection of mostly spicy Canario sardinillas and King Oscar Double-Layer jalapeno 'dines, but I've been saving some new ones:

Nuri (from Portugal) -- spicy
Sultan (from Morocco) -- regular AND spicy
Wel-Pac (from Thailand) -- Szechuan sauce (so probably spicy)
Matiz (from Spain) -- with sweet piquillo peppers

Has anyone had any of those?

I’ve had the Matiz ones and they’re really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have to say I noticed I’d gained a spring in my step when I started eating sardines