Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Myron Baloney posted:

I get how the smell of fish sauce might throw someone at first if they knew nothing about it or had had a bad anchovy experience, but oyster sauce just smells and tastes like salty savory soyish ketchup. A negative reaction to it seems to be 100% based on the name which strikes me as weird.

I read a PJ O’Rourke book from the late 80s that had a chapter about his trip to Vietnam before I went 20 years ago. He said “Nuoc Mam is an acquired taste. A taste you’d better acquire quickly if you don’t want to vomit”

Which made me scared of it until I got there and yeah it doesn’t smell good on its own but now I put it in just about any savory sauce I make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Asked for KOs and got a tin of Matiz in olive oil :woop: and three Crown Prince in water :negative:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hell yeah, especially if those are black pepper triscuits

Should be a lovely domestic canned beer instead of an ipa but otherwise solid dine-ing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Cod liver sounds gross plus it’s a filter organ but I’d try it if I came across it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LongDarkNight posted:

It's filtering plankton, not scotch and heroin.

That’s baleen

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

KO boneless/skinless (on sale) on top of dill triscuits for dinner. this is life at its finest folks

Would have been even better with skin and bones

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

500 degree and it works pretty well imo

Tried the 500 degree thing but you have to watch it really carefully or you’ll end up with sadness

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Yooper posted:

TinCanFish has decent prices but it's not Beach Cliff cheap. Prices are more inline with KO or Polar. You can get a 10 pack variety pack of dines for $30.

The other Spanish/Gourmet food websites are gently caress off expensive. But drat do I want to try the baby eel. (It's only 4 ounces for $65)

Don't eat the eels if you care about sustainability of their population

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store ran out of sardines and probably won’t have them in a while. I’ve had this box in my pantry for a year that I won in a KO contest

I ate half a can on Triscuits with hot sauce. I feel like it was like having a glass of $100 a bottle wine that I wouldn’t have been able to tell from a $20 bottle but they are really good

Will post a picture when I go for the next tin and open it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

Not to knock your 'dine eating style, but did you try some of them plain without any accoutrements? If so, what did you think of them?

I had one straight from the can. If someone gave me a small regular KO (skin and tail) I wouldn’t know the difference.

Ive become used to less fishy sardines so I’m usually eating Seasons or Crown Prince

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store is out of sardines and they had a single can of these and nothing else that would qualify as healthy fish so they’re mine now

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Keith Atherton posted:

Corner store is out of sardines and they had a single can of these and nothing else that would qualify as healthy fish so they’re mine now

Review: Nice and flavorful without being overly fishy. Skins are a bonus. At $4.50 I probably won’t buy them often

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Peanut Butler posted:

spotted at local asian supermarket

picked one up, looking forward to the occasion to eat it

Man I want to go to Portugal and/or Spain and Morocco to eat all the seafood some day

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

isaboo posted:

I hope these forums don't die

If I never again get the chance to say it, Thank you sardine friends.

I learn about this from the goddamned sardine thread

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve brought two people who thought they hated sardines into the fold by having them try Seasons skinless and boneless on a triscuit with hot sauce and guacamole. You don’t have to eat the skins and fins to eat healthy tasty fish

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Captain Splendid posted:

What's the consensus here on canned mackerel fillets?

I’ve had Bela and Trader Joe’s mackerel and both were great. I really like them.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Triscuits have a new cheddar flavor. I do not recommend with fish

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store just got sardines back in stock for the first time in three months after almost going out of business

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mozi posted:

just got my 1 year celebration pack from tincanfish

time to dine

Beautiful artwork on those tins

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dip Viscous posted:

Porthos Guy looks like avatar material.

Those tins designs would make good t-shirts

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

you keep your sardines in the freezer?

yeah, doesn't everyone?

That’s where the empty tins go until garbage/recycling day

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There are no bad sardines. There are tinned fish companies that disrespect the sardine in what they sell

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Brolander posted:

funnily enough I actually don't like them cold, I let them warm back up a lil before eating. half a can of RIGAs is a great light snack and leaves the tummy smiling

Yeah I’d think having them chilled would kill a lot of the flavor

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Opening a tin of sardines is the same as opening a can of tuna for the potential of upsetting someone with the smell

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Won myself some KO swag, I know a few people here have done the same in the past, how long does it generally take to arrive?

I won first place in a haiku contest and after they told me I won it showed up like a week later

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 31, 2020

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

poverty goat posted:

post the winning haiku

It was something like:

Sardines with a fork

Over the sink

In my underwear

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I actually prefer belas to ko. But then again I’m also the kind of weirdo that puts beans in chili, so take that with a grain of salt.

:same:

and

:same:

Bela and Matiz are the best that i can reliably find in stores near me. I like KOs but they’re like $3.50 a can at my local QFC and I try not to give Amazon any more money than I have to

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anything from Portugal or Morocco

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BigDave posted:

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

Replace the cream cheese with this:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arven posted:

Made the sardine pasta from this thread a couple months ago and didn't have breadcrumbs so left them out of the recipe. It was not very good.

Decided to make it again last night because I had breadcrumbs and wanted something fishy. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Thanks thread.

Can you repost the recipe?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arven posted:

It was this one. I used butter instead of olive oil-

Thanks! :coolfish:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Previa_fun posted:

What up 'dine thread

Got these in today. Not sure which to try first. Sorry about the shadows, overhead light in the kitchen and all is not conducive to pretty photogs.

I’ve never been disappointed with what’s inside a sardine tin with great artwork

Or one from Morocco or Portugal

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store is out of sardines. Seem to have replaced them with these weird things

‘Dine sized tins of tuna with stuff like beans, onions, red peppers, “leafy greens”

I guess dump it on rice? Strangely curious to try one out even though I try not to eat canned tuna

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Triscuits are my go to but thin sliced toasted baguette rounds too

Had boneless skinless Seasons in olive oil the other day and the best I can say is they’re fine but mushy

Maybe better as an ingredient rather than on a cracker

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Have one tin left of these that I won a few years ago

I never think to check their FB page

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Greatbacon posted:

A hot sauce mixed w/ the PB could provide a nice complementary way to get that acid in.

We make a decent approximation of a satay sauce by mixing soy sauce & sirracha w/ PB, which I bet would go nice with dines + quick pickle of choice + carb of choice.

Yeah that sounds good

I tried dines on cheddar cheese triscuits and that’s not a good flavor combination

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bullfrog posted:

learning to pickle fish is a goal of mine. just pickling in general actually. but much like home brewing, it scares me.

Pickling is easy. Canning adds work because of the need for sterilization but even canning is much harder to screw up than brewing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Found my KO shirt I won in a haiku contest but never wore

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Planet X posted:

Funny you say this, as I was about to post about it.

A local grocer carries Matiz products, which are tinned seafood: Mackerel, Sardines, and so on. The sardines are HUGE, but I also got a can of the mussels.

Often times I throw together a mediterranean cupboard type of thing for lunch, so I:

Boiled some pasta noodles

While the noodles were boiling, I put some olive oil in a nonstick and I think

- sweated some onion in there, followed by
- some chopped up canned artichoke
- chopped canned roasted red pepper
- a few leftover capers (which im not crazy about but it fit the bill here)
- some red pepper flake
- the mussels
-S&P

cooked that, then put in some lemon zest

Dumped some of the water from the pasta pan into the nonstick, squeezed the lemon over it, cooked it down for a minute or two then dumped it over the noodles and tossed together. Put a hunk of butter in there and that was it

I recommend this as an easy approach to any tinned fish. Add garlic if you want, I just forgot this time

Yeah this basic recipe is super adaptable! Just make sure to have the aromatics and long noodles. I think garlic is key and a finish with white wine in a really hot pan for 20 seconds adds a lot of flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What am I going to drink while I'm cooking then?

A PBR tall boy if you’re me