Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bela makes a cayenne flavored version but it’s disappointingly mild

Their fish are always fantastic though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey folks, I write a food blog, mostly reviewing restaurants in Orlando, Florida. But sometimes I review grocery items on slower weeks, and I just published my first feature where I review sardines, a recurring segment of my blog I titled The 'Dines List. I'm sure these 'dines are old news to most of you, but I thought I would share it anyway. I definitely intend to write more of these.

https://saboscrivner.com/2021/07/02/the-dines-list-canned-sardines-101/

Just me but my eyes started glazing over after a couple pages and when I scrolled and scrolled down without seeing a numbered list I gave up

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Cracked pepper Triscuit, IMO.

Yeah. My favorite is good sardines in olive oil on cracked pepper Triscuits with guacamole and hot sauce

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Won something in a KO Facebook contest!

Hopefully sardines

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Fartington Butts posted:

Received some literature for my birthday. One of the recipes is battered and fried 'dines with harissa which sounds very good.

Another is basically "hey have you tried sardines with crackers and mustard?"

My corner store used to stock Bumblebee sardines in mustard and I miss those

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

Attention The Saucer Hovers:

That Ramon Pena yellowfin tuna from La Bouffe is :discourse:. Light, flaky, full of flavor. Made my dinner salad a treat.

Also :lmao: found them online for ~$6 with free regular shipping out of Utah. gently caress paying $11 for a tin.

Oh hell yeah!

Nice box too

Reminds me of my major award box from KO

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 15, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Andos El Pantos posted:

I tried wild planet today because it was all the store had. A grave mistake.

I got a tin of Wild Planets in water as a gift

I mashed them with some mayonnaise and lemon juice and black pepper and it was an upgrade from bumblebee tuna

Chopped hard boiled egg helped too

Edit: some sardines you can enjoy from the tin and some are perfectly fine as an ingredient

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 23, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I guess you can make it a challenge out of it but digging sardines out of the tin with a fork is all the work I’m willing to do

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
KO posted a link to this on their Facebook page

https://saboscrivner.com/2021/07/02/the-dines-list-canned-sardines-101/?fbclid=IwAR0uemR2PN5YGdSLbXAkBR92ADSrQLxLGvg0GfC05mFqlCq-y6ws8-92JT8

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yea yea, that's me! But you didn't like it, right?

Since I just write this blog and don't use Instagram, I realize I'm never going to be any kind of "foodie" "influencer," especially since I review stuff like sardines and hospital food between my restaurant reviews. But I mostly just do it to share information about stuff I like, and to amuse myself.

No I enjoyed reading your article! I think I was expecting a list of dines first time I went to your article so didn’t actually read it. My bad

Good stuff for dine newbies and enthusiasts alike! :coolfish:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

Nice write up. Good to know what one would get themselves into when getting cheap 'dines.

Meanwhile I was at Whole Foods in the need for some bacon when I passed their 'dine aisle…

I'll likely end up using them in summer salads, so I'll try to remember posting my verdict when I eat them.

Please do! They have these at my corner store and want to try but they’re pricey. They stopped stocking dines for some reason. I asked them to get more and instead they got a bunch of sketchy tinned oysters and anchovies which are just sitting there

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Planet X posted:

Hey thanks for the post on the cheap dines. I usually don't buy below KO save for seasons and your writeup confirms my decision.

I am tempted though to get a can of those bumblebee mustard ones. They're like the PBR of dines I guess.

I really liked the Bumblebees in mustard when my corner store stocked them. Same price as Beach Cliff or similar but tasty

Great on a Triscuit

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I decided to try and eat healthier lately so i made riced cauliflower with mirepoix, seasonings and sardines. It was great! I went with Beach Cliff In Louisiana hot sauce, but I’ll try a better quality brand next time.

Looks good!

Yeah cheap sardines can be OK if in a sauce. My first tin was Beach Cliff in soybean oil and that was a really bad choice

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

isaboo posted:

Season brand lightly smoked sprats in olive oil are pretty darn good!

the fishies seem a little bigger than KO brislings and the smoky flavor is better than that of other brands I've tried

Seasons are tasty but the skinless boneless ones in olive oil just disintegrate at the touch of a fork

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I never notice the spines

Fins I don’t like

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve got a wager with the guy im playing in my fantasy football league this week. If I win he buys me three drinks at the bar. If he wins I give him one of my remaining KO vintage dine tins

I’m getting destroyed :(

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Tinned fish in water I’ll never buy but it I get any I mix them in mayo for a tuna salad type thing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Those are the only ones my corner store carries

Tasty but the fish fall apart trying to get them out of the tin

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

Turn your oven to 450 or higher with a cast iron pan inside. Chop a whole bunch of parsley with stems and a medium onion. Mash those in a bowl with two cans of whatever fish product in oil you want. With the oil from one can.

Pour all that into the sizzling cast iron and throw back in the oven for five minutes. After five minutes or when everything's getting browned and crispy, make four divots and crack an egg into each. Back in the oven for four minutes or until the eggs are done how you want them. Serve.

E: with sambal. Serve with sambal please

Watch it like a hawk because it’ll get ruined if you leave it in the oven 30 seconds too long

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A tin of McCormick ground black pepper was the most spicy thing I remember in the house when I was a kid

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Peanut Butler posted:

Kroger-brand boneless/skinless (coward's) sardines were on sale for 2/$3- lately, those (or Reece brand) are the best sardines available in regular grocery stores, outside places like World Market or European/East Asian import groceries

reporting that they make an incredibly good substitution for tuna in almost anything that calls for tuna- and in a sort of cheesy tuna pasta, the generic-brand sardine meat sort of dissolves into tiny mostly imperceptible bits

next experiment, for a later dinner, which I am expecting, to be just awful:

:gonk::stonk::stonklol:

Also dines in soybean oil are best drained and used as an ingredient in something else, or fed to an enemy

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I met an old dude at my neighborhood bar and one time we got talking about dines. Next time I saw him he goes “Oh I got somethin’ for you partner” and pulls a tin of Orleans dines from his jacket pocket

One time I’d just picked up a tin of Belas from the corner store and told him to try Belas or Matiz and he goes “Aww, the hell with that. King Oscars!”

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Man those are beautiful

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

trader joe's mackerel is good. can's big enough to constitute 2 servings. fish is clean, solid, meaty, all around pretty satisfying. the sunflower oil or whatever it was preserved in didn't really do it for me, but I guess it keeps the costs down.

the mayonnaise, caper, red onion and lemon juice relish I had with it was also good

I’ve never been disappointed by TJ’s tinned seafood. Their smoked trout is very good (as is the mackerel)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

Best friendship with King Oscar over

The Pinhais fisherman is my new best friend.

These are the best sardines I've ever had and they come with a free pickle (and chile)

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a tin of fish with cool and colorful artwork from Portugal/Morocco/Spain

I asked the owners of the little corner store in my neighborhood to stock sardines. And they did for a bit but just Seasons in water

They once stocked Belas but maybe I was the only one who bought them

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

titties posted:

Someone heard i liked sardines and gave me a tin of aldi northern catch in soybean oil. I am afraid to try them.

I would drain the oil and use them as a ingredient in a salad or something

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Lathespin.gif posted:

Sourdough toast, dab of cream cheese, tiny tots and sriracha. :yum:

drat. Looks good

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bartender friend knows I like sardines so she gave me sardine flavored candy canes

Do not recommend

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I won the haiku contest like 4 years ago and they sent me a T shirt, 3 tins of vintage sardines, a lid to put over your unfinished sardine can, a wooden fork, and coupons

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My sister ate scallops at a restaurant and got violently sick years ago. So I’ve avoided them

I asked her about that recently and turns out she was violently sick from drinking too much wine

So gotta give scallops a try

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man I’ve never eaten an oyster and I’m unsure how to start

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Thank you for the oyster advice

I just don’t want a bad first experience like when I decided to try Beach Cliff sardines in soybean oil as my introduction to the ‘dine world

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

dont get the big ones listen to voice of labor

I think the fact that I live in Seattle makes me a loser for asking about this

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yay my corner store got sardines again after like 2 years of not stocking them

Wild Planet in olive oil which I’ve never had

They’ve got black pepper Triscuits and avocados too so I have my mid day snack figured out for tomorrow

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

beachcliff is like cheap beer. you hit a certain age and you're just too old for it.

the bigger concern, one of the thread commandments, is to not have someone pick up a can of, like, bumblebee in mustard, try it, determine that it's disgusting, then write off sardines entirely

:agreed:

Like dollar store sardines have their place but man if you’re unsure as a newbie those have a good chance of turning you off them altogether

I actually liked the Bumblebee in Mustard as a hot sauce and Triscuit combo

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I got a box of cheddar cheese Triscuits and I’ll tell you that flavor doesn’t work with sardines

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A hometown buddy sent me the picture. Just spent the afternoon fishing in his boat at the lake near where he and I grew up in Washington state

i hate him

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

distortion park posted:

I'm never buying sardines in water based sauces again. They're just never as good as the ones in oil, plain olive oil > every water based option (and most of the other oil ones as well tbh)

I never buy them but if I’m gifted a tin in water I just use it like a can of tuna

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Cleaning out my pantry and found my 2 remaining tins of KOs I won in a haiku contest several years back

“vintage” sardines in a fancy box packed in 2017. I doubt they’re still good but I’ll find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

well boys ive been christmased

You’ve clearly been a good goon this year