Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can you remind me what it was exactly that caught my attention about these guys? I know it was surgery scars that could have pointed to possible hiding of mutations, but I can't recall what.

And unless Leperflesh says otherwise I'm gonna assume he gives me heads up about their nervousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they're nervous because you're a techpriest who's said LET ME MAKE SURE YOUR HIDEOUS DISEASE IS TREATED, that's literally it. they are cooperative for now

one of them had tiny horns (bone density on forehead), one of them had sixth fingers (bone splinters)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

im super pissed that max randomly blundered into what was supposed to be a thing-what-happens-in-the-background-on-a-timer-because-you-didn't-investigate-the-tower-in-time. i legit was not expecting a "hey cool i'll go break in in the middle of the day"

we shall see if the other timed events get randomly blundered into

It's literally your fault.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

break into the tower that gamma pinpointed

or, uh, ask for access

heh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

they're nervous because you're a techpriest who's said LET ME MAKE SURE YOUR HIDEOUS DISEASE IS TREATED, that's literally it. they are cooperative for now

one of them had tiny horns (bone density on forehead), one of them had sixth fingers (bone splinters)

Oh, I meant a heads up that they are, in fact, nervous at all, not particularly why. I imagine Aperta wouldn't pick up on it otherwise.

And cool, thanks for the reminder. I'll have a post up tonight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I definitely intended to go to the Hepaticon estate - I've been harping on it for months, actually - but Ignatius is currently occupied. If we can be sure he'll survive all bar encounters than I think it's likely we'd want to round everyone up and be on standby, because "hey guys I'm hiding inside the Hepaticon compound and found something and may need extraction" is kind of a whole-crew response thing.

That said, yeah, he hasn't actually asked for extraction yet, and Ignatius certainly wouldn't have contemplating breaking in on his own. His approach would be either finding a flyer we can pilot to go land on the roof of the tower or something, or, present himself at the front door and demand access under various true and/or false pretenses.

Who What Now posted:

Oh, I meant a heads up that they are, in fact, nervous at all, not particularly why. I imagine Aperta wouldn't pick up on it otherwise.

And cool, thanks for the reminder. I'll have a post up tonight.

Yeah Ignatius is gonna go into the back room so he doesn't miss anything. We can do "oblivious cop/bad cop" or "oblivious cop/good cop" if you want.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I didn't ask for extraction because it literally would do me no good at all without you guys being in the area first and then you guys figuring out a contingency to come in when called on and not before.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We can totally steal a gyrothopter or whatever and come crash into that tower if you need us to

just ask

ignatius can pilot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta also has pilot. Pilot was one of my original roles I wanted to fill. So between the two of us aiding one another we should be pretty good.

I mean, besides actually getting a flier, of course. And obviously the whole "being seen" thing, but I think we can misdirect attention with the whole "there's a crazy mutant psyker machine in your tower" thing we can throw around.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the scene will have resolved by then

Who What Now posted:

oh right yeah

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

We can totally steal a gyrothopter or whatever and come crash into that tower if you need us to

just ask

ignatius can pilot

I think thats not gonna work out at all. No other cell member has bothered to acknowledge this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760972&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post473428975

That's my guy declaring he's going off to do a thing and would vox when he was close.

This is my guy telling you he probably needs you guys to be around he found some weird poo poo: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760972&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post473518353

And my particular scene has been forwarded to 10pm or so at night. There has been ample opportunity for fucks to be given. None were and that's ok. Everyone was focused on their own scenes.

What this also means is this is one max is probably gonna end up handling solo for better or worse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I realize the game sort of demands it at this point but I have a hard time RPing my character in two separate scenes that occur at separate points in the same timeline, simultaneously. It's violating causality!

But yeah he can just deal on his own. I would not recommend killing the squidmutants but you can choose between just observation & recording, some attempt at sabotage, or trying to pick off the last guy in the room before they leave.

Also I think we now know what they wanted with Cizneros' brain.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, Viva is like 10 hours ahead of us and we're probably just at the point that the rest of us are receiving his "Shits weird" and "Need backup for my escape tonight" messages on repeat between both the time differences and the fact that we were all indoors in a heavily urban area with probably sketchy vox reception all the way out to the boat.

We may not be able to help him with his newfound friends, but we could certainly help him exfiltrate

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I realize the game sort of demands it at this point but I have a hard time RPing my character in two separate scenes that occur at separate points in the same timeline, simultaneously. It's violating causality!

But yeah he can just deal on his own. I would not recommend killing the squidmutants but you can choose between just observation & recording, some attempt at sabotage, or trying to pick off the last guy in the room before they leave.

Also I think we now know what they wanted with Cizneros' brain.

I'm not gonna brawl 6 mutants but I feel it's best if I interrupt the ritual if at all possible. If I have to just shoot the brain in the jar and run for my life then so be it. Ideally I just wait till most leave and they leave one guy to do the drat thing and I instagib it in the surprise round. I need to reread the post a few times and make sure I got this right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do what you gotta do, but I think it'd be pretty useful if we could find out whose brain that is.

I mean, it's the squidmutant's brain now, I mean whose brain it was. Uh, from whom the brain was taken?

...this sentence is giving me fits. If the center of the person is the brain, then it's more that they were taken from their body, but they're still the brain, right, so it's "it'd be useful if we could find out who that brain is" if the brain is still alive, but if it's dead, then it's who that brain was, as ownership of a corpse part has no "can you truly own a person" quandries attached

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

We may not be able to help him with his newfound friends, but we could certainly help him exfiltrate

That would be ideal.

Leperflesh posted:

I understand where you are coming from kinda, I guess. I don't agree with it but I understand you. It's my fault for not communicating clearer to you guys in the OOC that I wanted responses ASAP. So I'll deal.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Anyway I'm pretty loving excited. I stumbled onto a plot point. Shits gonna be risky coming away clean but this is the kinda poo poo I love. Let's do it!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you rush in and get right on top of the mutant for a Point-Blank Semi-auto burst you'll have a TN of 90 (50 BS + 30 Point-Blank bonus + 10 Scatter quality bonus) so a not insignificant chance of hitting with all three shots, especially factoring in your free DoS, along with +3 damage for each hit because of Scatter. You stand a good chance of killing at least one half of the mutant pair and perhaps both in two rounds.

And had we known you'd be fighting mutants instead of just hanging out in a tower we'd have definitely been on top of setting ourselves into the scene.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol just lol if you think poo poo like this happens when everyone expects it to

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It did for me the first time we fought these nerds. :clint:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Post made, I'm ok with burning fate or just rerolling a character so long as this mutant ritual gets disrupted.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why is your BS different than it was in an earlier post?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Why is your BS different than it was in an earlier post?

Because there was an error: I originally bought BS to 50 then redid my expenditures. Its right on my sheet but was wrong on my combat block so had to fix it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Oh and skellybones is the main one that gave me this idea so forgive me if its wrong but apparently when I got introduced or a bit after the Hepaticons went berserk because of some psychic beacon bullshit? And this machine I feel like might be the cause of that. Either that or its an elaborate brain scanning/transmitting machine. Either way time to ball out.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760972&userid=42287&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post468237541

quote:

There's apparently a spook ring kicking around, distributing large (judging by the dosage in the bloodstream of a body found by Gamma and Bulworth) quantities of the psychoactive drug. This group is about to receive a lot of pain from the PDF and a conjoined dynastic force - the powers that squabble politely over Ourybia may make the occasional cheating move but no-one wants to see the board overturned.

Following an attack by psychically-compelled bystanders - was this a specific attack on the cell, or simply an attempt to set two rival noble houses against each other? - the group had talked themselves into a business arrangement with a major Deculon figure who happened to let slip that someone's been murdering seemingly-random members of various different families, and who implied in an extremely roundabout way that there's also been the odd psyker going missing. Psychic ability - whether natural or induced from Spook - apparently gives immunity to whatever rewrote the minds of the unfortunate Hepaticons.

The psychic compulsion seems to have emanated in one discrete burst from a Hepaticon-controlled spire near the centre of the island - either they're ruthless enough to have no compunction killing their own blood, or they've been set up as patsies. Quite how this would have happened is unknown, but the introduction of horrific teleporting powerfully (if narrowly) psychic chimaeric mutants seems to give a slight indication of the how, if not the why. Why are the morgues filling both with people who have been rent to death by the barbed tentacles of mutants, and with ordinary people whose minds have been pushed beyond cracking?

Yeah this is it.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you're talking about what I think, that happened on our first "mission". They formed a mob and started killing everybody at a party.

E: You weren't there yet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

If you're talking about what I think, that happened on our first "mission". They formed a mob and started killing everybody at a party.

E: You weren't there yet.

Cool my memory is bad. Still I'm sure my dude would have been brought up to speed eventually and this falls under general knowledge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. Basically from this tower they sent some kind of psyker pulse thing that brainmashed everyone in a local bar full of hepaticons with an urge to go attack the decepticons Deculons at their party. The fact they got a bunch of Hepaticons murdered suggests the actual Hepaticon family doesn't know this is going on. That is further underlined by the lack of guards around the tower and the fact the lower levels and stairs seem disused. The squidmutants are teleporting into the room and doing their poo poo on the downlow.

The good thing about this is that it means we actually probably can show up at the front door and insist on immediate access to their tower. They might resist on the basis of "who are you gently caress off" but they won't resist on the basis of "that's our secret tower full of important valuable things we don't want you to see" so if we can overcome the former, we may well be able to get the Hepaticons to cooperate and even assist with further investigations.

And as a reminder, if we want a submersible, it's probably just them or the Deculons who can provide one.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. Basically from this tower they sent some kind of psyker pulse thing that brainmashed everyone in a local bar full of hepaticons with an urge to go attack the decepticons Deculons at their party. The fact they got a bunch of Hepaticons murdered suggests the actual Hepaticon family doesn't know this is going on. That is further underlined by the lack of guards around the tower and the fact the lower levels and stairs seem disused. The squidmutants are teleporting into the room and doing their poo poo on the downlow.

The good thing about this is that it means we actually probably can show up at the front door and insist on immediate access to their tower. They might resist on the basis of "who are you gently caress off" but they won't resist on the basis of "that's our secret tower full of important valuable things we don't want you to see" so if we can overcome the former, we may well be able to get the Hepaticons to cooperate and even assist with further investigations.

And as a reminder, if we want a submersible, it's probably just them or the Deculons who can provide one.

Are we gonna bust out the Inquisition card on this one or not yet?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Only if we can't come up with a better cover story.

Edit: Unless the team thinks it's a good idea/the time is right. We're looking at some pretty solid evidence here of Bad poo poo. But I was under the impression we were under orders to stay hidden as long as possible.

Also, do we even have proof we work for the Inquisition?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's other dynasties if you gently caress things up with both of them. you've got the hearts and livers but i'm sure i mentioned one based off kidneys at some point

e: yeah, renulons

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Only if we can't come up with a better cover story.

Cool. What angles can you guys probably use to get past the front door?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Viva Miriya posted:

Oh and skellybones is the main one that gave me this idea so forgive me if its wrong but apparently when I got introduced or a bit after the Hepaticons went berserk because of some psychic beacon bullshit? And this machine I feel like might be the cause of that. Either that or its an elaborate brain scanning/transmitting machine. Either way time to ball out.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760972&userid=42287&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post468237541

Yeah this is it.

What what did I do

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

there's other dynasties if you gently caress things up with both of them. you've got the hearts and livers but i'm sure i mentioned one based off kidneys at some point

e: yeah, renulons

Can you elaborate on this bit? I understood this as you based the dynasty names off of loving organ names?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skellybones posted:

What what did I do

say things in IRC to me

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I said the mutants built a giant magic fidget spinner that gives people autism.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skellybones posted:

and autism leads to

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Online role playing on a message board

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

exactly

this machine breeds grogs

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

Can you elaborate on this bit? I understood this as you based the dynasty names off of loving organ names?

yes

most names for my games have stupid roots. "malbrathia", the slam sector planet, was named after the scrunts' tiny hosed-up arms

Skellybones posted:

lol

Who What Now posted:

Also, do we even have proof we work for the Inquisition?

no

you have influence tests though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

yes

most names for my games have stupid roots. "malbrathia", the slam sector planet, was named after the scrunts' tiny hosed-up arms

Not to alarm anybody but Google Translate says that "Deculon" is Corsican for "Deception" :tinfoil:

• Locked thread