Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah you won't actually die with it. I think it weighs about the same as flak armour, although obviously traps a lot less air, and you never have to do swim tests when you're not in any danger or under duress.

E: duress includes 'heavily burdened' and 15kg isn't quite enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Ok over and done, Appreciate the help lets doooooooooo this:

code:
Name: Eadian Valarius 
Homeworld: Highborn
Background: Adeptus Administratum
Role: Seeker
Divination: 69, the sacred number - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Ballistic Skill
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

WS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    BS:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    S:   25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    T:   30 (20 (base) +  10 (point buy))
    Ag:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Int: 35 (25 (base) +  10 (point buy))
    Per: 40 (25 (base) +  15 (point buy))
    WP:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Inf: 45 (30 (base) +  15 (point buy))

Wounds: 14 (Wounds roll = 5, 5)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 03)
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Weapons:

Stub Automatic - pistol/ 30m / s/3/- / 1d10+3I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full

Armour:

Flak Cloak
        Head - 0
        Arms - 2
        Torso - 2
        Legs - 2

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Common Lore - Adeptus Administratum (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Linguistics - High Gothic (Int)
	Scholastic Lore - Tactica Imperialis (Int)

Talents:

Weapon Training - SP - Can use weapons with no penalty
	Keen Intuition - After failing an Awareness check, can immediately retry at -10 penalty.

Traits:

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).
	Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.
	Master of Paperwork: When acquiring items, an Administratum character counts their availability as one step higher than usual (i.e. Rare becomes Scarce, etc.) 

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono
	Flak Cloak (Wasn't sure if this should go in armor or not oh god please help)
	Signal Jammer
	Hand Flamer
	Comm Leech

Implants:

Advances: 0/1000

Awareness (Per) - 200xp 
		Deceive (Fel) - 100xp 
		Scholastic, Forbidden Lores - 100xp each 
		Interrogation - 200xp 
		Peer ( Local nobility) - 200xp //Took this instead of Fleet officers since it fits the backstory
                Trade (Linguist) - 100xp 

Also That Bastard Ken that poo poo is too rad man.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Updated sheet:
pre:
Name: Ignatius Maulbau 
Background: Rogue Trader Fleet
Role: Heirophant
Divination: 07 - Humans must die so that humanity can endure - This character gains the Jaded talent.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Offence
	Social
	Toughness
	Willpower
	Intelligence
	Finesse

Characteristics:

WS:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Ag:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Per: 30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Fel: 40 (30 (base) +  5 (point buy) +5 (XP buy))
    Inf: 40 (30 (base) +  10 (point buy))

60 points spent, 0 remaining

Wounds: 12 (Wounds roll: 1, 3)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 04)

Weapons:
	Compact Autopistol - Pistol / 15m / s/-/6 / 1d10+1 I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full / 0.75kg
	Shock Maul - Melee / 1d10 + 3 E / pen0 / Shocking
	Stiletto dagger

Armour:
	Mesh Cloak
		Head  - 0
		Arms  - 4
		Torso - 4
		Legs  - 4
Skills:
	Scrutiny (Per)
	Commerce (Int)
	Common Lore (Rogue Traders) (Int)
	Linguistics - Orks (Int)
	Operate - Aeronautica (Ag)

Talents:
	Double Team - Further +10 on melee attacks where you outnumber your opponent(s). 
	 If other friendly melee participants have Double Team, the additional bonus becomes +20.
	Weapon Training - SP, Shock - Can use weapons with no penalty
	Jaded {from Divination}

Traits:
	Sway the Masses: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points (see page 293), a Hierophant character may spend a Fate point to 
	 automatically succeed at a Charm, Command, or Intimidate skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Willpower bonus.

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).

Inured to the Xenos: A character from a Rogue Trader Fleet gains a +10 bonus to Fear tests caused by aliens and a +20 bonus to 
	 Interaction skill tests with alien characters.	

Gear:
	Actual picks:
	Medkit
	Multikey
	Voidsuit
	{1 more thing}

Personal effects:
	Chrono {I guess this is a watch?}
	Auspex {I guess this is a personal computer?}
	Dagger
	"Noble" clothes, like the latest fancy expensive fashionable getup to mingle with high society folks
	Naval officer's uniform, his dress uniform from when he was in the Service
	"Unassuming guy" clothes, like basic well-worn street clothes that blend in with a crowd most places
	All-weather clothing, like for wear planetside where they have that bullshit "weather" stuff, ugh
	Malbau family seal {do they use space wax, or ??? This is alternately a memento of his lost family, or possibly a way of 
	 proving he's a Malbau or sending authenticated communication to some other Malbau if there are familial survivors out there}
	A flask of expensive booze
	A flask of cheap hooch
	A locket that is a tiny holoprojector that can display holohphotos, loaded with images of a dozen Malbau sibs he hasn't 
	 seen or heard from in years, who are probably all dead

Implants: {none}

Advances: 1000/1000
	Charm (Fel) (100xp)
	Deceive (Fel) (100xp)
	Inquiry (Fel) (100xp)
	Medicae (Int) (200xp)
	Fel +5 (100xp)
	Clues from the Crowds (100xp)
	Trade: Chymist (100xp)
	Tech-Use (Int) (200xp)
I need a suggestion for Ignatius' fourth item pick (I'm still assuming a dagger is a negligible item in terms of cost and availability). Also, do we have money? Do people even use money in 40k?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

Updated sheet:

I need a suggestion for Ignatius' fourth item pick (I'm still assuming a dagger is a negligible item in terms of cost and availability). Also, do we have money? Do people even use money in 40k?

Money and finance in Dark Heresy 2 is rolled into your influence score. Influence when used to procure things is a measure of knowing the people who know a guy who has a thing you want and also your purchasing power. You don't track cash in hand directly. If you are in a position where you need to bribe a street urchin for info it's easier on the narrative to just assume you have the 40k equivalent of a $20-100 bill to pass them.

For your last free acquisition a photo-visor (night vision goggles) or a lascutter (a hand held welding torch from hell) could both be handy and useful in most any situation we could get in. If you want to lean in on having more non-lethal, stun grenades are common availability, maybe DJF will let you have a couple as a single acquisition.

Edit: It's totally not required but if you and AcidRonin both want to do a flavorpost like me, Who What Now, and thatbastardken have been doing that would help us gauge out how you're going to react in-character to our little cavalcade of misfits.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 14, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
An auspex is more of a radar/tricorder than a computer. Think of it like the motion detector from Aliens or PKE meter from Ghostbusters. Regular quality ones can detect most forms of radiation (thermal, UV, electromagnetic) and is used to say "There are five signatures behind this door".

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Hey DJF: I'm not sure when you plan to post the game thread but I'm going to be away from my computer for the weekend starting tomorrow around 4:00 pm CST. If the thread goes up after then I won't be able to make my first post until Sunday afternoon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

As a note on timings:

• All character concepts and backstories should be in by Jan 7th so I can pick the squad.
  • All charsheets should be finalised by Jan 15th, and initial rules runthroughs done for those new to Dark Heresy 2. We'll have at least a full week to iron stuff out.
  • First game post will probably be around Jan 20th; I'll try to stick to Wednesday updates

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Money and finance in Dark Heresy 2 is rolled into your influence score. Influence when used to procure things is a measure of knowing the people who know a guy who has a thing you want and also your purchasing power. You don't track cash in hand directly. If you are in a position where you need to bribe a street urchin for info it's easier on the narrative to just assume you have the 40k equivalent of a $20-100 bill to pass them.

For your last free acquisition a photo-visor (night vision goggles) or a lascutter (a hand held welding torch from hell) could both be handy and useful in most any situation we could get in. If you want to lean in on having more non-lethal, stun grenades are common availability, maybe DJF will let you have a couple as a single acquisition.

Edit: It's totally not required but if you and AcidRonin both want to do a flavorpost like me, Who What Now, and thatbastardken have been doing that would help us gauge out how you're going to react in-character to our little cavalcade of misfits.

Photovisor sounds cool and appropriate. I'm hoping I can just buy or acquire some grenades, I'm not a fan of using a very limited number of requisition slots on consumable items.

Re: money abstraction, yeah I get that, I was just wondering what is used as currency in-universe? Like, is it Imperial Credits, and everyone in the whole Imperium uses them and they have a stable market value, or is it thousands of different local currencies, or both, or some other thing?

Re: character impressions, I'll probably do them but I don't really know whether our characters know one another yet or not, or how DJF was planning to have us get started. The three of you each took different tacks on that, which is cool and creative, but I was worrying that making those posts canonical could seriously contradict whatever DJF was planning on doing as our kickoff setup scenario thing.

So... DJF, do our characters know one another yet? If so, how much time have they spent together? Is it realistic that they'd be sent dossiers on each other, and if so, how much personal info would be in them?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Re: money abstraction, yeah I get that, I was just wondering what is used as currency in-universe? Like, is it Imperial Credits, and everyone in the whole Imperium uses them and they have a stable market value, or is it thousands of different local currencies, or both, or some other thing?

It's a mix of the two leaning more towards the latter. Closest thing to a universal currency are "throne gelts", which are basically gold dubloons, but on a macro scale planetary tithes and such are given in lives, raw resources, and processed goods. In general things like coins, jewels, and stuff are better people who travel because they are more likely to be accepted all over versus things like bonds or bank notes which are pretty much worthless outside of the planets/systems they're made on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Who What Now posted:

"throne gelts", which are basically gold dubloons

Oh my gooodddd, a metals-based currency, my imerrrrsionnnnnn

I guess it'd be too much to ask for GW's content writers over the last 20 years to understand why fractional reserve fiat currency is infinitely superior to commodity-based currency, etc. etc. so whatever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's generally thousands of different currencies but you won't go far wrong by referring to the values as Gelt or Thrones. the actual tender can be whatever you like, whether it's rare space-grown gemstones or chips of gold or paper money or great big ornate books.

you guys will have met a day or so before the game starts. you have not been sent dossiers, but as you're all inquisitorial agents, you all have different channels to pump for info. plus you've all got different skills, so what may be a first meeting for one of you may in fact be like the third time the other guy's spoken to you. do what you like with the first impressions, including keeping them entirely to yourself - it can be literally as you meet them for the first time, it can be your impressions on what you've found out about them, or it can be your opinion on their clothing choice. it's just if you post 'em it gives people a better aid to roleplaying with and at your character.

It also helps you with ammunition for intra-party investigations!!

This is an idea I've been kicking around to get the party to interact with each other - the basic idea is that you're not all mindless drones working for the Inquisition, you each have your own agendas. Each of you wants some arcane information or some meaningless concession from one of the other party members, and you're trying to get it at the same time as doing your usual Acolyte stuff.

This is not PVP, and no-one loses anything or gains any mechanical advantage other than what I'll cover off.

It's up to you to decide what you're trying to achieve, and you basically have almost complete narrative control over it - maybe you think your designated target knows something about a shipping disaster you lost a colleague in, maybe their fighting style looks like that of a guy whose trail you once lost and you think they might have some info on him. It might literally be as simple as you want to curry your target's good opinion. So as to not impose on other people's characters and backstory, they are fully within their rights to go "nope, that's not true" or "nope, don't have a clue, sorry" if you flat-out ask them something, but the point being is your character will learn something useful from this anyway.

Once per scene, at an appropriate juncture (i.e. not mid-combat), you can use whatever the hell skill you please to try and wrestle a nugget of intel out of your designated target. They can use whatever the hell skill they like to deflect your inquiry. It's basically an opposed skill test with none of the usual constraints on what you have to use. The winner gets +5 to their next test as a self-confidence bonus, the loser loses nothing at all. The instigator can get up to 50xp a pop depending on how effectively it's been woven into the narrative and whether or not they've used that skill for this purpose before.

You can do this up to four times with your target (i.e. after four scenes) before reaching resolution on whatever it is you're trying to accomplish; hopefully this has followed some sort of arc of successes and failures. You'll then get either +3 Insanity or +3 Corruption, and an increase of +3 Influence. Again, it is entirely up to you what the narrative reasoning behind this is - it might be that finding out what you were seeking has given you the resolve to make use of funding sources you otherwise couldn't bring yourself to accept, or maybe you've got all the info you need to mug that wealthy nobleman or whatever.

Chain of targets goes as follows, arrows denotes "wants something from": Gamma -> Ignatius -> Eadian -> Aperta -> Bulworth -> Gamma

Is that something you want to play around with, or do you think it'll draw attention from the main story?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's dubloons because pirates are cool and so are chests of gold and they are doubly cool in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

it's generally thousands of different currencies but you won't go far wrong by referring to the values as Gelt or Thrones. the actual tender can be whatever you like, whether it's rare space-grown gemstones or chips of gold or paper money or great big ornate books.

you guys will have met a day or so before the game starts. you have not been sent dossiers, but as you're all inquisitorial agents, you all have different channels to pump for info. plus you've all got different skills, so what may be a first meeting for one of you may in fact be like the third time the other guy's spoken to you. do what you like with the first impressions, including keeping them entirely to yourself - it can be literally as you meet them for the first time, it can be your impressions on what you've found out about them, or it can be your opinion on their clothing choice. it's just if you post 'em it gives people a better aid to roleplaying with and at your character.

It also helps you with ammunition for intra-party investigations!!

This is an idea I've been kicking around to get the party to interact with each other - the basic idea is that you're not all mindless drones working for the Inquisition, you each have your own agendas. Each of you wants some arcane information or some meaningless concession from one of the other party members, and you're trying to get it at the same time as doing your usual Acolyte stuff.

This is not PVP, and no-one loses anything or gains any mechanical advantage other than what I'll cover off.

It's up to you to decide what you're trying to achieve, and you basically have almost complete narrative control over it - maybe you think your designated target knows something about a shipping disaster you lost a colleague in, maybe their fighting style looks like that of a guy whose trail you once lost and you think they might have some info on him. It might literally be as simple as you want to curry your target's good opinion. So as to not impose on other people's characters and backstory, they are fully within their rights to go "nope, that's not true" or "nope, don't have a clue, sorry" if you flat-out ask them something, but the point being is your character will learn something useful from this anyway.

Once per scene, at an appropriate juncture (i.e. not mid-combat), you can use whatever the hell skill you please to try and wrestle a nugget of intel out of your designated target. They can use whatever the hell skill they like to deflect your inquiry. It's basically an opposed skill test with none of the usual constraints on what you have to use. The winner gets +5 to their next test as a self-confidence bonus, the loser loses nothing at all. The instigator can get up to 50xp a pop depending on how effectively it's been woven into the narrative and whether or not they've used that skill for this purpose before.

You can do this up to four times with your target (i.e. after four scenes) before reaching resolution on whatever it is you're trying to accomplish; hopefully this has followed some sort of arc of successes and failures. You'll then get either +3 Insanity or +3 Corruption, and an increase of +3 Influence. Again, it is entirely up to you what the narrative reasoning behind this is - it might be that finding out what you were seeking has given you the resolve to make use of funding sources you otherwise couldn't bring yourself to accept, or maybe you've got all the info you need to mug that wealthy nobleman or whatever.

Chain of targets goes as follows, arrows denotes "wants something from": Gamma -> Ignatius -> Eadian -> Aperta -> Bulworth -> Gamma

Is that something you want to play around with, or do you think it'll draw attention from the main story?

I'm ok with having character specific B-Plots. I've been purposely writing my backstory in a way that one can integrate background elements into whatever side story you feel like doing for me. However, I don't think we should be extracting the B-plot threads from other players. There's an untold billions of people in the empire and pairing up the 5 people who all just happen to inadvertently have dirt on each other is just too convenient for my tastes.

We for the most part all have things in our character bios that can form up a character specific B-plot. The Space Mafia wants me dead and the faking of my death will only throw them off for so long (not to mention potential avenues for Brick Shithouse Man and Lucile to come back). Ignatius is basically a Naval deserter and may have some down the line consequences from that (turns out one of the ships doing the last stand survived and escaped, your distant cousin/uncle/whatever knows what you did or something of the sort). Eadian has some political enemy that wants him away from his convenient desk job to be killed on the field. Apertha's whole life is predicated on some mad science psuedo archaeotech that could come into suspicion even among his peers. Gamma is the only one I can't immediately pull a obvious B-plot out of and that's something that can be worked out before the game starts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the idea. It doesn't necessarily mean you want a thing from another player, it could also be trying to curry a favor from them that would advance your character's B-plot as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

as emphatically highlighted, it's because i want you guys to interact with each other.

i'm not interested in you each doing your own b-plots and serenading some npcs with your master-crafted backstories while the rest of the party look on adoringly from the sidelines. the idea is for your character to opportunistically realise "hey i can use these people who i have been thrown together with", and for you as a player to have to weave a separate thread into your narrative with the constraints of a) making it make sense and b) not dragging down the main plot

also who says the other players have dirt on you. do i need to put "you have almost complete narrative control" in larger font

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I'm kinda into this plan. it seems like a good one. Also having never done this before do I need to have every little thing on my sheet in terms of Lo sticks, booze?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like it. My character has unfinished business, tragedies, problems, etc. in his background and he'd be motivated to try to resolve them (gradually, as opportunity presents) making use of whatever contacts he can find. The other party members are his first peer-level contacts in the Inquisition, they have disparate backgrounds, and they have a presumed motivation to build cooperative interpersonal relationships, which is something Ignatius knows how to leverage.

Just as a ferexample, Ignatius wants to know if any of his Malbau sibs survived the loss of his home sector, and if so, he'd like to track them down. He's only very recently gotten out of sector himself, and most of the contacts he had back there probably died when the orks overran the naval facilities he was living at. Meanwhile, hey... inquisition people might be able to you know, inquire, using channels he hasn't got access to?

So this isn't about Ignatius having "dirt" on another PC. It's about him trying to see if one of them can help him find a sib.

Another example; Ignatius... well, doesn't really know what the gently caress to do with his life? Since his late teens he's been trying to survive, and now - the adventure we're about to go on notwithstanding - he's escaped the mortal danger he was in. Maybe it's time to set some long-term life goals for himself, and maybe these new people who are going to get to know him pretty well might be able to help.

Not that Ignatius is entirely ready to face those questions himself, mind you.

As an aside, Ignatius didn't desert the Navy, his transfer to the Inquisition was legit. He used his contacts and leverage to convince someone with influence in the Inquisition to force through that personnel transfer at a time when most of his peers were facing impending death-by-Ork (although a large majority of them were still in denial about the inevitability of that outcome). There might be a superior or peer Navy officer who is salty about Ignatius' means of escape, but that'd be more of a personal beef than an official wanted poster with his name on it.

There are plenty of other people in Ignatius' past who might have a problem with him, of course. He's done what he had to do, and at times, people got hurt. (But they were all bad guys, no really!)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Also having never done this before do I need to have every little thing on my sheet in terms of Lo sticks, booze?

in Dark Heresy 1, yes, you would. in Dark Heresy 2, no, you don't

if you want booze, lho etc you just have it, or you can buy it from a street vendor with very little fanfare. there's just no point in tracking little things like that - it'd be like making you do skill tests for inconsequential actions like climbing ladders. we are tracking ammo and kit, though!

i think we're on track for opening the game thread on Wednesday 20th, unless anyone has further concerns or uncertainties. please make sure your charsheet is up to scratch and all in one post. please also name your profession (i.e. you're not a Seeker, you're an Oathsworn Bounty Hunter or something).

get all your requisitions done, do some initial first-impressions if you want. a little closer to the time i will run through how you post (it's pretty standard) and how you do rolls - i will probably devolve some of the rolling to you and do some of the rolls myself

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

code:
Role: Logis Strategos Officer 
Divination: 69, the sacred number - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Ballistic Skill
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))

Weapons:

Armour:

Flak Cloak
        Head - 0
        Arms - 3
        Torso - 3
        Legs - 3

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Awareness (Per) - 200xp 
	Deceive (Fel) - 100xp 

Talents:

Keen Intuition - After failing an Awareness check, can immediately retry at -10 penalty.
	Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy), 
	Forbidden Lore (Heresy) - 100xp each 
	Interrogation - 200xp 
	Peer ( Local nobility) - 200xp //Took this instead of Fleet officers since it fits the backstory
        Trade (Linguist) - 100xp 

Traits:

Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.
	Master of Paperwork: When acquiring items, an Administratum character counts their availability as one step higher than usual (i.e. Rare becomes Scarce, etc.) 

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono
	Flak Cloak (Wasn't sure if this should go in armor or not oh god please help)
	Signal Jammer
	Hand Flamer
	Comm Leech

Their you go.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Updated my character sheet with my profession (Magos Errant) and a combat quick-reference sheet, if anyone else wants to use it as a template.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Their you go.

ok, sorry, not looked at this properly until now.

first up, you've got the stats for the Light Flak Cloak instead of the regular Flak Cloak; should be 3AP on body/limbs. unless for some reason you want the light flak cloak; they are exactly as rare and subtle as each other

second up, you have a hand flamer with no training for it. you can still use it, but if you don't buy Weapon Training: Flame at 300xp then people get +20 to dodge your attacks with it. stats for it are as follows: pistol/ 10m/ s/-/- / 1d10+4E / pen2 / clip2 / reload 2full / Flame, Spray

thirdly, you need to pick specialisations for Lore skills, as per your Scholastic Lore: Tactica - these are on pages 102, 104 and 113. useful Scholastic lores would probably be stuff that inquisitors are expected to deal with - heresy, etc. ditto for useful forbidden lores - Space Marines and Adeptus Mechanicus will probably be not particularly useful for you.

fourthly, please put your purchased skills + talents in the skills and talents section of your charsheet. leperflesh, ditto for you. if your advance has a characteristic next to it (e.g. Fel), it's a skill. if it has a number, it's a characteristic advance and you need to make sure it's reflected in your stats. if it has neither, it's a talent, so put it in the talents section.

Who What Now posted:

Updated my character sheet with my profession (Magos Errant) and a combat quick-reference sheet, if anyone else wants to use it as a template.

cool cool. combat reference sheet is handy but not essential - what i tend to forget is stuff like defensive talents (e.g. True Grit), so that's the sort of thing that'd be useful to post. again, i'll cover this off a bit closer to the time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No idea what my professional title would be. Inquisitorial liason? Social mechanicus? Maybe something more unassuming?

Do we have, like, a rank in the Inquisition? Does the Inquisition even have ranks?
pre:
Name: Ignatius Maulbau 
Background: Rogue Trader Fleet
Role: Heirophant
Profession: Paracletus
Divination: 07 - Humans must die so that humanity can endure - This character gains the Jaded talent.

Aptitudes: 

General
        Fellowship
	Offence
	Social
	Toughness
	Willpower
	Intelligence
	Finesse

Characteristics:

WS:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    BS:  35 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy) +5 (XP buy - Simple advance))
    Ag:  30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Per: 30 (25 (base) +  5 (point buy))
    Fel: 40 (30 (base) +  5 (point buy) +5 (XP buy - Simple advance))
    Inf: 51 (30 (base) +  10 (point buy) +1 (Peer [Nobility] buy))

60 points spent, 0 remaining

Wounds: 12 (Wounds roll: 1, 3)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 04)

Weapons:
	Compact Autopistol - Pistol / 15m / s/-/6 / 1d10+1 I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full / 0.75kg
	Stiletto dagger - melee / 1d5 R + SB
	"Caecus" hunting laspistol with Red Dot Scope and Custom Grip - no muzzle flash, volume of a throwing knife
		Pistol / 30m / S/2/- / 1d10+2E / pen 0 / clip30 / reload half / Reliable
		+10 to hit with standard attacks (aimed one shot); +5 to hit (custom grip)
		Stealthy (shots only detected within 5m)
		4 clips
	2 smoke grenades - thrown / SBx3 / S/-/- / 0 damage / pen 0 / - / - / Smoke(4)
	Combat Shotgun
	Autopistol

Armour:
	Mesh Cloak
		Head  - 0
		Arms  - 4
		Torso - 4
		Legs  - 4
Skills:
	Scrutiny [Trained: +10] (Per)
	Commerce (Int)
	Common Lore (Rogue Traders) (Int)
	Common Lore (Imperial Navy) (Int) 
	Linguistics - Orks (Int)
	Operate - Aeronautica (Ag)
	Charm (Fel)
	Deceive (Fel)
	Inquiry [Trained: +10] (Fel)
	Medicae (Int)
	Tech-Use (Int)
	Interrogate (WP)
	Trade: Chymist (Int)
	Stealth (Ag)

Talents:
	Double Team - Further +10 on melee attacks where you outnumber your opponent(s). 
	 If other friendly melee participants have Double Team, the additional bonus becomes +20.
	Weapon Training - Solid Projectile, Shock - Can use these weapons with no penalty
	Weapon Training - Las
	Jaded {from Divination} - mundane events do not force Ignatius to take Insanity points or make Fear tests
	Clues from the Crowds - Once/day re-roll a test made to gather information from a group of people.
	Face in a Crowd - can use Fel instead of Ag when using Shadowing (Stealth)
	Peer [Nobility]
	Peer [Imperial Navy]
	Forbidden Lore: Heresy (Known)
	Scholastic Lore: Bureaucracy (Known)

Traits:
	Sway the Masses: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points (see page 293), a Hierophant character may spend a Fate point to 
	 automatically succeed at a Charm, Command, or Intimidate skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Willpower bonus.

Inured to the Xenos: A character from a Rogue Trader Fleet gains a +10 bonus to Fear tests caused by aliens and a +20 bonus to 
	 Interaction skill tests with alien characters.	

Gear:
	Actual picks:
	Medkit (req)
	Multikey(req)
	Voidsuit (req)
	Mesh cloak (starting armour)
	Photo-visor (req)
	One syrette of DeTox called "Lagniappe": counteracts the effect of mundane drugs and poisons at the cost of spending 1d10 minus 
	 Toughness Bonus rounds pissing, making GBS threads and puking.

Personal effects:
	Chrono {I guess this is a watch?}
	Auspex {radar/tricorder thingy}
	Dagger
	"Noble" clothes, like the latest fancy expensive fashionable getup to mingle with high society folks
	Naval officer's uniform, his dress uniform from when he was in the Service
	"Unassuming guy" clothes, like basic well-worn street clothes that blend in with a crowd most places
	All-weather clothing, like for wear planetside where they have that bullshit "weather" stuff, ugh
	Malbau family seal {do they use space wax, or ??? This is alternately a memento of his lost family, or possibly a way of 
	 proving he's a Malbau or sending authenticated communication to some other Malbau if there are familial survivors out there}
	A flask of expensive booze
	A flask of cheap hooch
	A locket that is a tiny holoprojector that can display holohphotos, loaded with images of a dozen Malbau sibs he hasn't 
	 seen or heard from in years, who are probably all dead

Contacts:
	The acolytes now have a contact who provides +20 to Requisition tests for chems, drugs, and precursor chemicals (not for making explosives)
	A gang of children
	A boat pilot (stole his ID)

Implants: {none}

Advances: 3450/3450
	Charm (Fel) (100xp)
	Deceive (Fel) (100xp)
	Inquiry (Fel) (100xp)
	Medicae (Int) (200xp)
	Fel +5 (100xp)
	Clues from the Crowds (100xp)
	Trade: Chymist (100xp)
	Tech-Use (Int) (200xp)
	Peer [Nobility] (200xp)
	Interrogate (100xp)
	Common Lore: Imperial Navy (100xp)
	Weapon Training [Las] (200xp)
	Peer: Imperial Navy (200xp)

Scrutiny: Trained [Perception, General] (200xp)
	Stealth: Known [0 aptitudes] (300xp)

Face in a Crowd (Tier 2) {2 aptitudes (Fellowship, Social) Fel 35+, Clues from the Crowds) (300xp)
	Inquiry {2 aptitudes (Fellowship, Social)} Trained (200xp)

Forbidden Lore: Heresy {1 aptitude (Intelligence)} Known (200xp)
	Improve Ballistic skill from 30 to 35 {one aptitude (finesse)} (250xp)
	Scholastic Lore: Bureaucracy {1 aptitude (Intelligence)} Known (200xp)

Influence:
	+1 Peer: Nobility (buy)
	+1 for getting into the Deculon party at the Gilded Thorn
	+1 for effectively implementing a naval delegation cover story
	+2 for escaping the Gilded Thorn with Iseppo intact
	+2 for meeting Cizneros' corpse and killing squid
	+1 for effecting a detailed autopsy without anyone knowing
	+1 for successful noble-schmoozing entrance to Deculon party
	+1 for taking lead on Naval cover story
	+1 for giving apothecary new chemical tricks, on the understanding that you don't want him to keep them secret

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 3, 2017

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

ok, sorry, not looked at this properly until now.

second up, you have a hand flamer with no training for it. you can still use it, but if you don't buy Weapon Training: Flame at 300xp then people get +20 to dodge your attacks with it. stats for it are as follows: pistol/ 10m/ s/-/- / 1d10+4E / pen2 / clip2 / reload 2full / Flame, Spray

I thought the whole point of the flamer was I didn't need to train anything? Could have sworn someone said that, maybe ill just go with the standard boltgun?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

I thought the whole point of the flamer was I didn't need to train anything? Could have sworn someone said that, maybe ill just go with the standard boltgun?

For someone who has bad ballistic skill, a hand flamer will be more consistently useful even with the +20 agi modifier to defend against it.

Consider that someone with 30 ballistic skill goes to fire a shot. If you dedicate a full round to the attack you have a half action aim and a half action shot. If you're close range you get +20 to the action +10 for single shot and wind up with a 60% chance to hit. The person on the receiving end has to roll a dodge check with between 10-40% success rate depending on agility and the trained/untrained status of dodge, which cuts that 60% success rate to be closer to 50-30% success rate.

Now consider a hand flamer, you go to attack and you don't have to aim, leaving a half action open for things like moving into cover (or spending a half action to draw it from holster). Because you don't roll ballistic skill to hit (spray weapons hit automatically so long as they are in range) they are automatically considered to be hit unless they can succeed at the agility (not dodge) check to get out of the way that gets a +20 modifier if the attacker is not trained. Per the rules if they cannot get out of the spray within their agility bonus in meters, they straight up cannot dodge. The success rate of untrained flamers is then all things considered between 40-60% with flame weapons untrained or 70-80% with.

Basically the point I'm trying to get at is that someone bad at shooting will get as good or better milage out of a spray weapon even untrained compared to a standard weapon. When we get in game proper just take the weapon training the first time you gain exp and you're suddenly an ace with it.

You also cannot take a bolter as a starter because IIRC all bolt weapons count as Very Rare and would be a step too rare for you to take. Edit: In addition you also do not have Bolt weapon training so you would have a hell of a time hitting anything.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also it's a flamethrower so you can use it to set stuff on fire. also also if there's no space for someone to dodge, they can't dodge.

i just wanted to make sure that you're aware of what's happening with your gun

gonna do a How Me Make Post guide shortly, and i should probably also start drafting the game thread. we go live on wednesday, Get Hype

Leperflesh posted:

No idea what my professional title would be. Inquisitorial liason? Social mechanicus? Maybe something more unassuming?

Do we have, like, a rank in the Inquisition? Does the Inquisition even have ranks?

literally whatever you want to be known as. if you want to be known as something like a Frumentarian Agent or something equally dog-latin and have people understand what that means, that's fine. it's honestly just an adjective that isn't Heirophant.

inquisitiorial rank is Acolyte. this is a broad rank spanning "gibbering newbie" to "possibly the most dangerous man on the planet". the inquisition doesn't really have ranks, just Inquisitors/Not Inquisitors, influence and coercion.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

the inquisition doesn't really have ranks, just Inquisitors/Not Inquisitors, influence and coercion.

Also Interrogators tend to be right hand men/second in command to an inquisitor. Not that it makes any difference but :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also it's a flamethrower so you can use it to set stuff on fire. also also if there's no space for someone to dodge, they can't dodge.

i just wanted to make sure that you're aware of what's happening with your gun

gonna do a How Me Make Post guide shortly, and i should probably also start drafting the game thread. we go live on wednesday, Get Hype

literally whatever you want to be known as. if you want to be known as something like a Frumentarian Agent or something equally dog-latin and have people understand what that means, that's fine. it's honestly just an adjective that isn't Heirophant.

inquisitiorial rank is Acolyte. this is a broad rank spanning "gibbering newbie" to "possibly the most dangerous man on the planet". the inquisition doesn't really have ranks, just Inquisitors/Not Inquisitors, influence and coercion.

I'm gonna go with Paracletus, which google translate tells me is latin for "counselor", but in a legal sense, like a legal advocate/defender. The Inquisition intends the title to set the targets of a paracletus' investigations at ease, as if his job is to be their advocate in any investigation, but ironically (of course) a paracletus' real job is to make friends with a target so they can be pumped for information. Which maybe some people understand, but nobody would ever say aloud, at least not where a paracletus could hear them.

Sound good? If so, then my sheet in this post (just a few posts up on this page) is done, and is my final sheet for the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hah

yeah that's good

your stiletto has stats of melee / 1d5 R + SB (knives are pointy fists in the world of dark heresy), and if you could put (req) next to your medkit, multikey, photovisor and void suit that'd be helpful because it points out when you acquired them.

void suit will be usable underwater, incidentally, albeit clumsily

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hah

yeah that's good

your stiletto has stats of melee / 1d5 R + SB (knives are pointy fists in the world of dark heresy), and if you could put (req) next to your medkit, multikey, photovisor and void suit that'd be helpful because it points out when you acquired them.

void suit will be usable underwater, incidentally, albeit clumsily

Also incidentally in real life, NASA uses the same EVA suits that go into space in their underwater training facility. Anything sealed to be air tight space will keep air in the suit underwater. There's a reason I mentioned it during requisition talk. There's a method to my madness I swear! :v:

I figured void suits come with 12 hour air tanks vs a 1 hour tank for a rebreather you're looking at longer albeit clumsier dives in a void suit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok here's how you maek psot

PBP Posting

Formatting for these games stays fairly consistent; for my posts, I will give them a bolded title, a bolded location/scene name, and a bolded, much more generic location that'll be the ship or the planet you're on. You might get some musical backing, which you are welcome to click or to not click. For the main body of the post, "Speech" and Names will be in bold; normal text will be normal. Out of character text will be in italics; this will normally be separated from the rest of the post by a line of hyphens. Information that only certain characters have will be spoilered, following that character's name. Posts will generally be in present tense, flashbacks will be in perfect. Just follow along with the tense I'm using, basically.

An example is as follows:

quote:

Humble Beginnings
The Bridge
"Fear Not His Mailed Fist", Lunar-class cruiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVTga5g66s

"I'm glad you could all join me, Acolytes," booms Inquisitor Terentius, "for we have much work to do. Follow me! To my... inner sanctum!"

He unlocks the ostentatious double doors with a gnarled, baroque key. He hurls them open with a powerful gesture, revealing a small, grimy bedchamber. The walls are lined with lurid and upsetting art. Leaning in close, he whispers into Bulworth's ear: "breathtaking, is it not?"

------

welcome to anime club. Give me a +0 Toughness test to not become nauseated.

Gamma: you're pretty sure you can sense the warp here, even through the Gellar field
Ignatius: you recognise this as Tau art; possession of this is pretty heretical!!
Aperta: this is just like in that corrupted dataslate you discovered in the arch-heretic's lair!
Eadian: there's a guy hiding behind one of the wallhangings. he's trying not to be heard.

For you guys, whenever you make a post I want your charsheet linked in the title. Good example is found here.

It would also be moderately useful for you to link a combat block like at the bottom of Aperta's sheet, but that's not essential. What I would ask is for you to highlight any defensive talents you have, or current temporary circumstances that might have an impact on people attacking you.

You also really really really need to keep your charsheets updated. With damage, expended ammunition, thrown grenades, all that sort of thing. As an example, if you don't update your charsheet after receiving healing, play will continue as though you're still wounded. I will periodically be checking up on this but it's much easier for you guys to handle it.

-------------

In terms of how you post - do a description of what you want to achieve, and then make notes on it in the out-of-character italics at the bottom. Some of you will know that you're trying to roll Common Lore - Anime Wallscrolls, and that's fine. Some of you will have less of an immediate ability to translate into game actions, and that's fine too - just make sure it's clear what you're trying to achieve.

If you're doing something that doesn't progress the plot - e.g. share a smoke with a guard - you don't need to do any rolls (but why are you doing it?). If you're trying to do something that can have plot ramifications - e.g. talk your way past a guard - this probably needs a skill roll. Please give me a d100 roll from a tracked site like Orokos; you won't know all the modifiers, so you won't know if you've succeeded or failed, so don't continue your post until you get a response. Best practice is to leave your thread hanging at the point where you try and perform the skill.

If you're in combat, please leave the rolls to me. Combat has a restricted set of actions - we'll deal with that when we need to.

Any questions, please shout.

e: also I'll try to keep it to an update per week. Which means a post a week from you people. Are any of you primarily phone-posters, or are we all squatting awkwardly in front of computers?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Also incidentally in real life, NASA uses the same EVA suits that go into space in their underwater training facility. Anything sealed to be air tight space will keep air in the suit underwater. There's a reason I mentioned it during requisition talk. There's a method to my madness I swear! :v:

Well, technically, a vacuum suit is designed to hold atmosphere in, while an underwater suit is designed to hold water out. Negative pressure for the voidsuit is always 1 ATM, while positive pressure on the underwater suit depends on depth and can be far, far higher. Moreover, it's possible that a vacuum suit could use sealants that are water soluble, and also might have external electrical contacts or circuitry that is damaged by water, especially salt water.

But, it would make sense if the designers of a standard void suit also test it in water, and using water soluble sealants would be pretty silly.

quote:

I figured void suits come with 12 hour air tanks vs a 1 hour tank for a rebreather you're looking at longer albeit clumsier dives in a void suit.

A rebreather uses chemicals to scrub CO2 and add O2 to the atmosphere, so it could be tankless. A voidsuit having a 12-hour supply requires tanks of air, presumably, unless it's using futuretech of some kind. But in any case, Ignatius is a voidborn shiprat and spacer who just wouldn't even think of not owning a voidsuit, it'd be like a planetborn person not owning shoes. I mean, OK, you can go barefoot, maybe a lot, but you'd still at least own a pair of shoes.

Anyway: I'm probably going to be eager to post way more than once a week, and I bet most of the others are too. I might miss a day or two on a busy weekend but normally I'm on SA like, all day every day, so yeah.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

code:
Role: Logis Strategos Officer 

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Ballistic Skill
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  5 (point buy))

Weapons:

Armour:

Flak Cloak
        Head - 0
        Arms - 3
        Torso - 3
        Legs - 3

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Awareness (Per) - 200xp 
	Deceive (Fel) - 100xp 
	Interrogation (WP) - 200xp 
	Forbidden Lore (Heresy) (WP) - 100xp each 
	Inquiry - 100xp
	Scrutiny - 100xp 

Talents:

Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy), 
        Trade (Linguist) - 100xp 

Traits:

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono
	Flak Cloak (Wasn't sure if this should go in armor or not oh god please help) *
	Signal Jammer *
	Hand Flamer *
	Comm Leech  *

XP: 100

Is this right? I am the worst I know I'm sorry.

EDIT: req gear marked with a star

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 29, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mark which of your items you got as starting requisition gear. I'll look more closely at it when I get home.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

game thread is up

AcidRonin posted:

Is this right? I am the worst I know I'm sorry.

EDIT: req gear marked with a star

this is fine except for the bits where i've lied to you, deliberately and with malice, to undermine your confidence

sorry about this - my bad, Interrogation is a WP skill that i forgot to mark, and Forbidden Lore (Heresy) is an Int skill that i forgot to mark

everything else is fine, but it'd be handy to have the hand flamer stats under your weapons. don't do a new post each time you change up your sheet, just edit one version of it - means you can link consistently to it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I made an experimental combat statblock. Is this too dense? Anything missing?
pre:
WS: 30 BS: 30 S: 25 T: 30 Ag: 30 Int: 35 Per: 30 WP: 30 Fel: 40 Inf: 40
Wounds: 12 Fate: 4/4 Insanity: 0 Corruption: 0
Stiletto dagger - Melee / 1d5 R + SB
Mesh Cloak: Head 0 Arms 4 Torso 4 Legs 4
Double Team: +10 on melee attacks where you outnumber opponents. If other friendly has DT, +20.
Sway the Masses: may spend Fate to auto succeed at Charm, Command, or Intimidate with degrees equal to WP bonus
Breeding Counts: When highborn char would reduce my Inf, reduce by 1 less (to min reduction of 1)
Inured to the Xenos: +10 to Fear test caused by aliens and a +20 Interaction skill test with aliens
Scrutiny (Per) Commerce (Int) Common Lore (Rogue Traders) (Int)	Linguistics - Orks (Int) 
Operate - Aeronautica (Ag) Charm (Fel) Deceive (Fel) Inquiry (Fel) Medicae (Int) Tech-Use (Int)
e. OK, I guess I'm going along with DeathSandwich's alteration of the narrative to "actually we weren't all at the warehouse for the shift change when the servitor arrived," and adding that the reason is because Barry has gotten really sloppy about schedules while we waited for instructions. I'll leave it to the others to decide if the rest of us were all there when the servitor arrived and Barry's the odd man out, or if for some reason the Inquisition sent individual massively expensive telegrams to each of us instead of sending one for the team. Maybe we re-sealed it and sent the servitor to go find Barry after the rest of us had a look? :shrug:

Also, I've decided the warehouse is empty, and Ignatius has been making sure the local gutterpunks know it, so they won't bother breaking in to try to steal stuff.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I actually really like that. I was knocking off and taking a meal break during my shift because gently caress this poo poo is boring. I'm the first one there because of course, it was my shift. My character is just sick of the waiting game and starting to get lax.

Editing my post to reflect that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 21, 2016

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

this is fine except for the bits where i've lied to you, deliberately and with malice, to undermine your confidence

Why must you do this.

I'll add them in the game thread!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope Ourybia doesn't have a SEA PATROL

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Narrative's a bit loose at the moment because, well, nothing's happened other than you've got a letter. Even though Bulworth's toting it around, one thing I'm firm on is that you have all seen it by the time you post. There is one letter for the whole team.

Leperflesh please bold your speech, too. Statblock is a bit too dense - all I'd really be interested in fron there is wounds, fate, and double team. The rest I can get from your charsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, I'll edit my post here in a little bit to reflect me starting a message chain to the others back before I leave my little little apartment. It'll explain why everyone staggers in one at a time at least.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread