Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
  • Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I'll roll up something here, leaning toward either Psyker or a HARD BOILED EX COP ARBITES WITH A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER, A PAIR OF AUTOPISTOLS, AND NOTHING TO LOOSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Name: Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
Homeworld: Frontier World
Background: Adeptus Arbites
Role: Hardboiled Detective (Desperado)

I know what you're asking: How did a po-dunk deputy from a backwood mining colony get to be where I am now? The easy answer would be to say with a trail of bodies behind me and call it a day, but I'll bite.

Like I mentioned, home for most of my life was a mining colony by the name of Fenwarth IV on the outskirts of civilized society. Parents were both quarry laborers. My dad died when I was little, as the result of an industrial accident. Mother had to keep working, it was the only option she had to make a living. The quarry used her up and when all that was left was a broken husk of a woman they left her out to pasture. I was 18 when she got fired and lucky for her I had already had found work as a jail deputy. I was able to support us until she finally gave out and died when I was 20. I had no more ties to my home which gave me the freedom to move on, bigger and better. I could join up with the Arbites and go after the big time criminals.

You have to understand with Fenwarth: People out there, they may as well not know the rest of the galaxy exists. Most live in their little bubble and never strive to know anything outside of their community, their job, their church. The ones who strove for bigger aspirations were the ones you had to watch out for. For such a rural community it had a lot of wannabe mobsters, thinking they could pull the sort of jobs they seen in cinema holotapes. They thought they were their own personal inquisitor, beholden to nobody and completely obvious. Thinking we couldn't catch on. When we caught up with them, they always wound up in shallow graves. A necessary brutality to keep the public order. Frontier justice was never pretty, but the criminal justice system was spread thinner than buttered toast as is. The penal legions ain't missing them.

And then there was Fontenau.

I was working undercover to bust a obscura ring in one of the bigger cities on the planet, part of an orbital trade network. Also one of the few cities with a functional judiciary and courtroom. Before Fontenau was on my radar I was sniffing out the hierarchy and passing the information to my handler Donaldson, who would bring them in once I progressed up the chain. Fontenau had an inside man though who marked me and Donaldson for death. Donaldson got his when I was giving him the dead drop but I managed to escape. The only thing I trusted was my gun. I had to go even further underground, buried in like a tick. Fontenau knew who I was and someone in the Arbites was feeding him info. I made some big plays and killed my share of people before I even got his name. Fontenau was good, he played a shell game with his illicit money, between that and the officers he bought off kept him off the radar for a long time but he had a weakness: he couldn't resist meeting his bribees face to face. He used it as an insurance policy in a way. If the officers on the take couldn't keep the honest ones away and Fontenau caught a bullet, all his corrupt stoogies would burn with him.

It was just a matter of following the traitor to the meeting and putting a bullet in both of them.

While that destroyed the obscura ring and brought the institutional corruption to light, it came to light that Arbites weren't the only ones on the bribery list. Judges, business owners, even some of the Governor's personal men were tied up in bribery charges in the ensuing fallout. I shook up a lot of the political structure and for it I was deemed persona-non-grata and given the walking papers. There was nothing left for me on Fenwarth IV except for dust and the ghosts of my past, so I caught the next vessel off planet with a summons in hand for a mysterious job offer.

Do you mind if I smoke? I've been meaning to quit. Bad habit I picked up during the Fontenau case.... Thank you. Well then, now that we got that little intro out of the way, you were going to ask me something?

pre:
Name: Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
Background: Adeptus Arbites
Role: Desperado
Aptitudes:Ballistic Skill, Offence, Agility, Defense, Fellowship, Finesse, Toughness

Characteristics:
WS:  25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
BS:  45 (30 (base) + 10 (point buy) + 5 (advance))
S:   25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
T:   40 (25 (base) + 15 (point buy))
Ag:  45 (25 (base) + 15(point buy) + 5(Advance))
Int: 25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
Per: 38 (30 (base) + 5 (point buy) + 3 (Divination))
WP:  30 (25 (base) + 5 (point buy))
Fel: 30 (20 (base) + 10 (point buy))

Influence: 42 = 25 +1 [peer] +10 [player actions] -2 [sniper req] -1 [Deculon Security Team] +5 [Warehouse Raid] + 4 [Gambling Proceeds]

Wounds: 10/10
Fate: 3 (Threshold 7+)
IP: 0
CP: 0

Skills:
Awareness
Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Underworld)
Interrogation
Intimidate
Inquiry
Scrutiny
Dodge
Stealth
Acrobatics

Talents:
Weapon Training (Solid Projectile)
Catfall
Ambidextrous
Two-Weapon Wielder (Ranged)
Quickdraw
Mighty Shot (accounted for on weapon damage below)
Inescapable Attack (Ranged)
Peer (underworld)

Traits:
The Face of the Law: Reroll any Intimidation or Interrogation test, can substituted WP bonus for degrees of success.
Move and Shoot: Once per round after moving may perform a single standard attack with a pistol he is currently wielding.
Rely on None but Yourself: Gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modiications, and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items.
Divination: Truth is Subjective: Increase this character's Perception characteristic by 3. The first time he would gain 1 or more Corruption points each session, he gains that amount plus 1 instead

Gear:
Shotgun (Basic | 30m range | S/-/- | 1d10+4I | 0 pen | 2Full | Scatter) *In storage*
Sawed off shotgun (Pistol | 20m Range | S/-/- | 1d10+4I | 0 Pen | Full | Scatter)
Autopistol w/ Motion Predictor and silencer (Pistol | 30m Range | S/-/6 | 1d10+2I | 0 pen | full)
Stub Automatic w/ Silencer(Pistol | 30m Range | S/3/0 | 1d10+3I | 0 pen | full) *In Storage*
Sniper Rifle w/ Silencer (Basic | 200m Range | S/-/- | 1d10+6I | Pen 3 | Rld Full | Accurate, Reliable) Ammo 20/60
Enforcer Light Carapace (Armor 5 all)
Strummer
3 Doses of Stimm
3 Stun Grenades
1 "Green Stripe" Smoke Grenade
Manacles Strapped to goggles.
6 Amputator shells
Grapnel
Poor Quality Auspex (bio scanner)
Loose Red-Dot Scope

Advances: 2600/3450
Simple Advance (Ballistic Skill) - 100
Known skill advance (Dodge) - 100
Ambidextrous - 300
Two-Weapon Wielder (ranged) - 300
Quickdraw - 200
Stealth - 200
Acrobatics - 100
Mighty Shot (400)
Inquiry (200)
Inescapable Attack (ranged) (300)
Agility Advance 1 (100)
Peer (Underworld) (300)

Divination 27: http://orokos.com/roll/353384
Wounds 7+3 = 10 http://orokos.com/roll/353385
Wounds reroll = 1 http://orokos.com/roll/353932
Fate Threshold: 1 no bonus fate point http://orokos.com/roll/353386

Chargen note: Character had duplicate ballistic skill aptitudes, substituted in toughness.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2017 around 18:59

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

I'm interested! I've only done a couple of play-by-posts before, and while I've played the original Dark Heresy I've not played the second yet. I don't have a firm idea yet of what character I want to play so I'll hang back and see what other people post and what roles are going to need filling.

I mean, right now it looks like myself and two others were looking at desperado characters so we maybe have ranged combat tied up pretty well. Who What Now seems to be doing the knowledge-y focused techpriest, so it looks like the archetypes currently uncontested is the Psyker, melee beatstick, and a more socially graced person. There's a lot of interesting options you can do, I would think a Mechanicus Assassin murdering dudes so he can chrome himself out more could be an interesting guy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Character sheet updated: I got my point buy stats set and exp spent, but I haven't rolled for divination and wounds yet.

Question on influence: How the gently caress do we know what that is? The books talk about how we spend it but not how to determine what it is in the first place. Is that the game's equivalent to Rogue Trader's Profit Factor or Only War's Logistics Rating? If it's determined at chargen I assume that means it's by default the base point buy value of 25 if we sunk no points into it?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Something else to keep in mind for newbies: If you're worried about having a skill/social character who's bad at combat don't fret. Flamers are amazing for people with 0 combat aptitudes. Weapon training (flame) is a tier 1 trait with a general aptitude so at worst it'll cost you 300 exp to gain proficiency and the basic flamer is scarce availability so you can take it as one of your free equipment requisitions at character creation. Flamers are unique in that you don't ever roll ballistic skill with them: They instead carry the Spray and Flame properties:

Spray posted:

Spray weapons use large area-effect shots to strike more foes, sacrificing range for wider coverage. Unlike other weapons,they have just one range and, when fired, hit all those in their area of effect. The wielder does not need to test Ballistic Skill; all creatures in the weapon’s path (a cone-shaped area extending in a 30° arc from the firer out to the weapon’s range) must make a Challenging (+0) Agility test or suffer one hit from the weapon. If the wielder does not possess the appropriate Weapon Training talent, targets gain a +20 bonus on the test; this rises to +30 if the weapon is Heavy and the wielder is not braced. Cover does not protect from Spray attacks unless it completely conceals a target. Because there is no attack roll, they are always considered to strike the Body location. They jam if the firer rolls a 9 on any damage dice (before any modifiers are applied). Due to the inaccurate nature of their design, they cannot be used to make Called Shot actions.

Flame posted:

Using materials such as promethium and incendiary powders, this weapon ignites with primordial fire. Whenever a target is struck by an attack with this quality (even if he suffers no damage), he must make an Agility test or be set on fire (see page 243). If the target of the Flame attack is a vehicle, the pilot must make the appropriate Operate skill test with a bonus equal to the vehicle’s Armour value on the facing hit by the Flame attack. If the pilot fails, the vehicle immediately catches fire (see the On Fire! sidebar on page 263)

Fire posted:

A character can be set on fire in several different ways (none of them pleasant). First, weapons with the Flame quality and certain Energy Critical Effects can set a character on fire. Alternatively, a character can be ignited by fire in the environment; for this second case, at the beginning of each round after the first in which the character is exposed to the same source of flames, he must make a Challenging (+0) Agility test or catch on fire.Once a character is on fire, he suffers 1d10 Energy damage (ignoring Armour) and suffers 1 level of Fatigue each round until the fire is extinguished. If the location is not otherwise specified, this applies to the Body location. While on fire, he must make a Challenging (+0) Willpower test at the beginning of each of his turns in order to be able to take actions normally; otherwise, he may only flail in agony and scream, which counts as a Full Action. A character who is on fire can try to extinguish the flames by dropping Prone and making a Hard (–20) Agility test as a Full Action. The GM can make this test easier or harder depending on environmental conditions and whether the blazing character is able to receive any help from nearby allies.

Generally speaking flamers don't do an awful lot of damage up front compared to other options, but being on fire is loving hellish and makes for surprisingly excellent crowd control so long as you can avoid friendly firing your bros.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Can someone explain character (things like stat rolling and such) creation to me? I've stumbled upon a pdf of the core rulebook and it's not helping.

So with point buy take a look at the characteristic modifiers for your home planet. Any characteristics with a + beside them start at 30, and any with a - next to them start at 20, with everything else starting at 25 (so frontier world characters have 30 Ballistic skill and perception but 20 Fellowship and everything else will be 25). From there you have 60 "free" points that you can distribute how you wish, so long as no stat goes above 40 baseline.

Once your stats are set and you have all you skills/traits/talents in place for your character and his background, you have 1000 free exp to spend to flesh yourself out a bit more. You get a number of free requisition bonuses equal to your influence modifier (i.e. 2 if you have the default 25 influence) and you also need to roll 1d100 for your character divination on page 84

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I'm thinking it might be interesting to play a disposessed rogue trader. Basically a Face kind of guy, someone practiced in negotiations and schmoozing and avoiding having your cargo confiscated by imperials; not the captain, though. Maybe a first officer. I can build some backstory about bopping around a few systems, and then something happens and the crew gets broken up and the ship gets confiscated or maybe destroyed, so my guy is at loose ends. But, because he's good at gladhandling and making buddies etc. he had made a few friends or contacts with the inquisition, and got himself an In with them while the rest of his crew went down.

So he'd probably be a voidborn outcast... heirophant?

e. Maybe not a rogue trader but whatever the Imperium uses for non-rogue trading. A cargo ship? Maybe a specialty cargo/passenger vessel that schleps high-value luxuries, important personages, and the odd bit of below-the-decking contraband to and fro.

You could do Void born -> Imperial guard -> Heirophant and be an ex-imperial navy

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. Imperial Navy, but not a frontline combat ship/troop? Does the Imperial Navy use privitized logistics, ala Halliburton, or is it all in-house?

I mean, and this may be me reaching, but I assume even the Imperial navy has logistics ships that don't act as battlefleet fighters. I would assume they would be under the banner of the imperial navy and the cases where they use privatized logistics is probably them using Rogue Trader dynasties to fill in supply gaps they can't requisition.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Also keep in mind that on you free requisitions they can have no greater modifier than -10 (ala, normal quality scarce). IIRC if you want, you can get a free req on something that is common availability(+10 modifier, like a sword ) but good quality (-20 modifier) and still come out to -10 modifier.

To give you an idea of the sort of things you can get with a -10 modifier.

A good quality sword, spear, or shield

A common quality flamer

A common quality chainaxe or chain sword

A Sniper Rifle or Long Las

A single shot Grenade Launcher

So fresh acolytes have some pretty neat armament options from the word go compared to fresh DH1 characters

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Who What Now posted:

GW's official stance is that as long as it doesn't directly contradict what's in a Codex or other "primary" sources is 100% canon. So don't worry overmuch about it, worry about making something you'll have fun playing.

And I think most people would be fine with it anyways, even if it wasn't 100% true to cannon. Games workshop isn't going to sneak into your house and smother you with a pillow if you took an Imperial Guard background as an ex-rogue trader or whatever.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

EDIT: Did you do your point buy through a website? If so, do you mind posting the link?

I just eyeballed it, it's only 60 points to distribute in 1-20 point chunks. Just prioritize what attributes are important to you and give them first cuts at the point pool. With my character I knew I was going to max out BS, Agi, and toughness so that was 40 points there to feed those (10 for BS because it was one of my home planet's favored stats, 15 for the other two). I also needed enough fellowship, willpower, and perception to use my arbites skills (interrogation, inquiry, and scrutiny) decent enough to not be a bad cop, so the last 20 got distributed pretty evenly to those.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Thanks again, dude.

EDIT: Here's a WIP char sheet I whipped up, feel free to look at it and critique it, haven't spent XP on any traits and stuff (beyond starting skills, talents, and aptitudes)

code:
Name: Bob (Placeholder Name)
Background: Outcast
Role: Desperado
Wounds: 7+1d5
Fate Threshold: 3 (Emperor's Blessing 7+)

You should have 7 aptitudes total. Since you get Ballistic Skill aptitude from both Frontier world and Desperado, you can change one of the duplicate Ballistic aptitudes to another of the basic aptitudes based on a characteristic (like Strength or willpower aptitudes, you can't add offense/tech/knowledge ect.) I took my duplicate BS aptitude and rolled it into Toughness to make me mega hard, but if you want to differentiate yourself you can always put it into Weapon Skill or Strength and become more of a sword + pistol guy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I was thinking a double revolver character (my initial idea is a Space Cowboy) but I don't if I'll get better revolvers later on to for the core cowboy theme. There's still some time to think about it and I'm willing to ditch the "Western-style weapons only" gimmick if it means not lagging behind in damage dealing.

As for sword and pistol, I always wanted to try it but it seems like a hefty investment (since it looks like I'll need Ambidextrous, Two Weapon Fighting for both melee and ranged, and then Sidearm). I might change the duplicate Ballistic Skill aptitude for Perception or maybe Willpower.

The dual wield talents are different in DH2. You do still need to pick up two weapon fighting melee and ranged separately, but sidearm/gunslinger/blade dancer has been replaced with dual weapon master, which counts as all of the above. Dual weapon master requires you to have bought both the melee and ranged version of two weapon fighting no matter what you want to specialize in so it's really no more of a talent tax to do sword and pistol than it is to do pistol/pistol or melee/melee.

As far as your 7th aptitude goes, since you have Ballistic Skill aptitude twice you can add either Weapon Skill, Strength, Toughness, Willpower, to perception, or intelligence to compensate. No matter what since you have Ballistic skill, finesse, and fieldcraft you are going to be a good pistolier. The extra aptitude will help determine what else you can do.

Intelligence would give you more access to knowledge skills and paired with fieldcraft gives you extra cheap medicae access as well as cheaper access to security and Tech Use

Perception gives you more access to some of the specialist talents including super cheap access to Deathdealer in tier 3 talents which lets you MEGACRIT on righteous furies.

Weapon Skill or Strength would steer you into a generalist combatant roll with some pretty snazzy talents that lets you hulk out when enemies get too close. Unarmed master in DH2 is shockingly good compared to Only War and turns you puny wimp punches into a proper scary threat at all times. (unarmed master in DH2 count as deadly natural weapons that can parry unlike OW and have the tearing property, letting you roll damage twice and pick the better result)

Toughness gets you mega cheap defensive traits and coupled with agility/finesse/defense aptitudes makes you shockingly durable with cheapo dodge and cheap agi/tough advances. That's what I choose.

Willpower gets you cheaper access to interrogation and defensive options involving fear and pinning. This was going to be my second choice if I didn't go the toughness route.

Edit: I rolled my divination and pulled +3 perception but +1 to my first corruption gain power session. Roll 3 for wounds, putting me at 0 total.

Edit 2: Kaiju, if you take intelligence as your bonus aptitude you can play it up as a Frontier sawbones with a revolver and a bottle of gin. Think Doc Holiday with a laser pistol.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 19, 2015 around 04:06

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ronwayne posted:

I already made my orokos rolls earlier but did them again per your instructions. I realize this can be construed as bullshit, so if you want me to take the first one only, let me know (I'm going with the second one only at this juncture unless instructed otherwise.)

I mean, we're basically just rolling wounds, fate threshold, and divination. None of which can be gamed really hard compared to the standard rolling for stats.

thatbastardken posted:

fair call.

edit: going to whip up a psyker and play Space Steven King's Space Carrie. Or some kind of flamethrower priest.

Either should work pretty well. Priests can build into a way that makes them good faces and good with melee/fire. If you start Highborn -> Adeptus Ministorum -> Heirophant you've got a solid social character who can tote around a flamethrower and also be pretty scary in melee. Hell, to be fair you could start Highborn -> Ministorum -> Assassin and still be a passable face since Highborn gives you the fellowship aptitude and Ministorum gives you Social, with assassin giving you a whole bunch of RIP AND TEAR.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I'm having to make some hard decisions here W/R/T gear acquisitions. Both of my free acquisitions have to be pistols if I want to make use of my dual wielding talents, and I can't decide if I want to take Autopistols for a bit more of a wild roulette on hitting with full auto, or go with Stub Autos that hit harder baseline and can score at least one hit more consistently with semi bursts. I guess it depends on how often I want to use suppressing fire as well. Both are also average availability instead of scarce, which is easier to find but not so much easier that I can get them in good quality .

I guess the comedy option would be to just pick up a Sniper Rifle and a single pistol for now and see about doing something stupid like pistol gripping my shotgun and dual wielding the shotgun/pistol somewhere down the line.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"what should we do about this crime scene? we only have minutes to identify the thief!"

"idk maybe i could shoot it??"

I'm the kind of cop who went to the school of John Wu. I leave the crime scene stuff to the nerds because I'm too busy dolphin diving into a drug den and filling everything that moves full of lead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Who What Now posted:

The Cherubim. Although they do also have animal-servitors, which often include birds.

Edit:

My character sheet should hopefully be ready by tonight. Tomorrow at the latest is what I'm shooting for. I have "making vehicles move around and hopefully not crash" and "fiddle with little tech-y bits" roles down pretty well. Also I shouldn't be a liability in a fight but don't expect me to focus on buying any combat talents any time soon.

Will we be able to try and requisition anything as the game starts?

Outside of the default free -10 reqs I don't think so.

Decided rather than choose between 2 auto pistols or 2 stub autos I'm just going to take one of each instead. Because that's not going to cause confusion when I start trying to req special ammo.

Edit vvvv Technically probably more like an Uzi and Beretta. The hand cannon would be more the Deagle

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2015 around 23:02

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

My other guy is also the fixer too, imperial guard heirophant who also uses chain swords. Maybe you just don't have room for what I want to app because others were quicker on the draw. Namely a dude or lady what kills other folks with guns.

I mean, you don't have to dual wield chainswords/axes to have an effective melee character. Rather than being a quick choppy character you could do something like Feral -> IG -> Heiro, putting any duplicate aptitude into weapon skill or Strength and wielding a Claymore and Bow&Arrow, basically the 40k version of "Mad Jack" Churchill. You won't have the Finesse aptitude which limits your growth in some areas but you can still pick up some core talents on the cheap like Crushing blow, devastating assault, and hatreds. You'll also have half-cheap access to swift attack, frenzy, and Hammer Blow. Couple those with a greatsword and you can still megajack dudes in melee without being the squirreley quick dual wield guy while still being a pretty good face.

Alternatively you can roll Highborne -> Outcast/Ministorum -> Fanatic (from Enemies Within) and do a lot of the above without specifically being an IG -> Heiro guy.

If you are just shying away from melee in general then welp.

Edit - Comedy option: Do Hive -> Mutant(from enemies within) -> whatever and be a scrunt.

Edit2: If you want to roll up a gunman then roll one up, worst happens is you get lined up as a replacement if someone stops posting in the game thread. You can do a shootman that fills a different niche than what we've got considering the two shooters we've got are myself as a armored pistol tank with minor investigative skills and Kaiju as Doc Holiday. We're both going to be pistol-centric close ranged infighters. You can easily do a different flavor of shooter with a different mix of knowledge/investigation/social attributes. Off the top of my head I can think of: a Long Range/Sniper, midrange/2h autofire specialist, the grenade launcher guy, dual wield desperado gun/sword guy that can outshoot what he can't outmelee, a Shotgun Surgeon that eventually picks up a Naval Shotcannon from one of the DH1/Rogue Trader splats, ect ect.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 22, 2015 around 20:12

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Do you even have to brace heavy weapons for single shots? Iirc the heavy flamer has specific bracing rules due to spray but if you got hold of a missile launcher you don't need to due to the fact they are single only.

To be fair, mounting a compact, single shot krak missile into a servo skull would be kind of hilarious.

Edit: kind of a slow day at work, I may draw up a second character for funsies that a dark Heresy newbie can either steal or I can use for an alternate if we have too many shooty people.

Edit2: Imagine American Horror Story: Freakshow's character Dandy if he were built like a brick shithouse. Essentially a spoiled inbred noble with a sociopathic streak. His mother gets him a cushy job in the Adeptus Administratum where his lack of moral judgement causes him to kill a co-worker and then go into hiding. Highborne -> Adeptus Administratus -> Warrior. His AdAdmin background lets him take A goddamned missile launcher and enforcer light carapace as free requisitions.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2015 around 17:05

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Just going to leave this here. Someone let me know if you want to use it as the basis for a character. DJF: If it's unused and come selection time and you'd rather use me as a the galaxy's most unsubtle person I can work it out. The absolute joke option would be to spend almost all of my starting experience around being able to wield a goddamned rocket launcher that I can technically start with because lol Administratum
pre:
Name:
Homeworld: Highborne
Background: Adeptus Administratum
Role: Warrior
Aptitudes: Fellowship, Social, Ballistic Skill, Defense, Offense, Strength, Weapon Skill 

Characteristics:
WS:  40 (25 (base) + 15 (point buy))
BS:  40 (25 (base) + 15 (point buy))
S:   45 (25 (base) + 15 (point buy) + 5 (advancement))
T:   25 (20 (base) + 5 (point buy))
Ag:  30 (25 (base) + 5 (point buy))
Int: 25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
Per: 25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
WP:  25 (25 (base) + 0 (point buy))
Fel: 35 (30 (base) + 5 (point buy))

Influence: 30
Wounds: 1d5 + 9
Fate: 4 (Threshold 10+)
IP: 0
CP: 0

Skills:
Commerce
Common Lore (Adeptus Administratum)
Linguistics (High Gothic)
Logic
Scholastic Lore (pick one)

Talents:
Weapon training (Solid Projectile, *Heavy, *Low Tech)
Rapid Reload

Traits:
Breeding Counts: Any reduction in influence is reduced by 1 do a minimum of 1 
Master of Paperwork: Availability of all items increased by one level
Expert at violence: May spend a fate point to substitute his Weapon Skill or Ballistic skill bonus for the degrees of success scored on any attack. 

Gear:
Stub Automatic
Imperial Robes
Autoquill
Chrono
Dataslate,
Medi-kit
*Heavy Stubber w/ chainblade melee attachment
*Enforcer Light Carapace

Advances: 0/1000
Weapon training (heavy) (300)
Weapon Training (Chain) (300)
Strength Advance (basic) (100)
Bulging Biceps (300)

Free Acquisitions:
Enforcer Light Carapace
Heavy Stubber
Chainblade with melee attachment for Heavy Stubber
I'm taking a wild shot in the dark on the chainblade if DJF would let it A) be attached to a 30kg gun and B) for it to actually be usable like some sort of hobknob chainspear.

This guy can take cheapo social skills but I figured it would probably be more important for someone otherwise aptituded out to be a combat monster to actually be a combat monster.

If anyone wants to borrow this as a baseline keep this in mind: if you want, you could replace Heavy Weapons Training with Launchers, take a grenade launcher instead of a heavy stubber and suddenly you have a character who's not married to Adeptus Administratus for the easier acquisitions and you can play with his background a bit.

You can also make him into a loving scary like whoa ranged combatant if you swap Warrior for Assassin and lean into an easy rocket launcher acquisition. You can lower his weapon skill to put elsewhere (probably agility). Keep his strength at 40 and just take a 500 exp bath for the strength advance to get to 45 for Bulging Biceps. Start the game with launchers and heavy for 400 exp, 500 for the strength, and 100 to put into either a ballistic skill advance now, a face skill now (considering he's got fellowship and social attributes), or bank it for bulging biceps later. Assassin nets you super cheap quick draw and rapid reload down the line as well so you can eventually load, brace, and fire a rocket launcher all in one round if need be. You can also swap home planet for something that nets him either a strength aptitude or a duplicate that you can put into strength.

Yes, I'm having a slow day today, Why do you ask? If any system newbies want help building something that's not the above let me know and I can work something up for you.

vvvv You're no fun space-dad.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2015 around 20:13

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

If you think we're ever going to have the opportunity to fly a cruiser or other capital ship, sure. Then again, this isn't Rogue Trader.

Yeah, maybe less voidcraft and more in-atmosphere flyers could potentially be useful.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

Okay, since Deathsandwhich started the making multiple apps thing, I figured i would chime in. Melee or not, we've enough desperadoes to kill everything, so here is an actual, honest to the Emperor, non-combatant seeker. COnsider this my primary app, and my previous assassin as someone to fill a void for melee combatants if that void remains open.

Space Murtaugh to my Riggs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjjzh1JGiU

Edit: Found a better video

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 26, 2015 around 18:24

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I mean. I would have no objection playing SEA PATROL and flamethrowing hippies from my own personal backpack helicopter.

When do I get my standard issue baseball bat?

Edit: I updated my character sheet. I wasn't paying attention to the Ambidextrous talent and calclulated it as a 2 aptitude talent rather than the 1 it is. I've had to scratch the agility advance off my sheet to compensate.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 28, 2015 around 20:54

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So far then of the completed apps we've got our tech/knowledge/light driving techpriest, Psyker, Investigation skills/light social/light knowledge guy, melee specialist/social face, and (short/mid) ranged specialist/very light social.

If potential applicants want some more ideas for archetypes that have no curently finished apps, a few of the roles that aren't really covered well based on the currently finished characters off the top of my head.

-A dedicated int/fieldcraft healer: Chirurgeon is the go-to if you want the dedicated healer innate trait though anyone with int/fieldcraft can do it well enough.

-A dedicated Agi/fieldcraft driver: Situationally useful. Depending on the setting it may or may not be useful depending on our character's circumstance once the game gets underway. Our techpriest has basic skill in operating vehicles and it may be good enough for what we'll use if for, but if having highly skilled driving becomes a core facet of our group then having someone with extra cheap skill advances in it will be highly valuable. Of note: I know in Only War you count as having weapon training in all mounted weapons for vehicles you can operate even if you don't have the specific weapon training talent. I'm not sure if that rule applies here too. If so having multiple people with basic operate (land vehicles) is useful for vehicle gunners if we are ever in that position.

-A long ranged specialist: Someone built around using basic 2 handed ranged weapons like Sniper Rifles or Grenade Launchers. I can kind of do this with my character, though I have a pretty heavy talent tax to dedicate myself to dual wielding that could be spent by a 2h specialist in getting things like Mighty Shot, Nowhere to Hide, precision killer, and the like.

For people still submitting apps, don't let this discourage you because skill overlap is always useful. Granted I am not the GM, but even if your app overlaps another's and you are not picked for the first run of characters, you could still be shortlisted for replacements for deaths/burnouts. PBP burnout is a thing that happens fairly often on this subforum and having backups around and ready to play can be handy.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 29, 2015 around 02:12

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

Which one of those do you put Jacob in, because I don't think any of those really describe him. If I'm the social face/light knowledge guy, i'd point out as of right now my only social skill is deceive. I would describe him more as a "spend fate points to never roll poo poo" given I can spend fate points to auto succeed on interrogation, intimidate, awareness and inquiry.

essentially I am the "press X to get the party back on track" character.

You are the social face even without charm/deceive because you have fellowship/social/willpower aptitudes, so even without charm/deceive on the word go, you can still buy them for cheap. You get Int/Tech but not knowledge aptitudes as well, so you can get cheap Tech-Use/Security but less so Academic/Forbidden lores.

Basically you are only ever 100 exp away from being passably charming or deceptive.

You still have to roll Interrogation and Intimidation, the Arbites trait gives you free automatic rerolls, not a fate point to auto-succeed.

Edit: I was working off memory of what the characters did and wasn't looking directly at them, updating the previous post.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 29, 2015 around 02:11

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ok going by the character you've painted he sounds like a Highborn/Rogue Trader Fleet/Heirophant, in the sense that this is what supports your backstory mechanically. Rogue Trader Fleet is a mild stretch, but in terms of "space people what's learned about xenos" it fits

An Adeptus Administratum background would also work for a character set up to be a fixer/finder of things even if it's not to the letter of what Leperfish is going for in his background. It'd start you with Commerce and High Gothic for hob-knobing with the sorts of nobles who would do business with a rogue trader. Just chalk up the Master of Paperwork bonus to the idea that your character knows the logistical and paperwork loopholes of the Administratum due to having set up work orders and contracts with them on a regular basis.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

I'll go seeker since it fits what I had in mind for the character but you mentioned a sage being very useful and it would be easy enogh to spin it that way, thoughts?

I've got the book so how should I roll this up

We're not rolling stats, we're point buying. The only three things you really need to roll is the +1d5 for your wounds (DJF has said roll twice and take the better roll), your divination (flat 1d100 and compare it to the table on page 84 of Dark Heresy 2's core rulebook, per DJF you can swap your 10s figure and your 1s figure for your roll if you so choose so a roll of 39 can change to a 93 for example) and your fate threshold, which is a flat 1d10 rolled against whatever number is given for your home planet, if you roll above the target number you gain +1 fate point.

As far as the point buy goes...

DeathSandwich posted:

So with point buy take a look at the characteristic modifiers for your home planet. Any characteristics with a + beside them start at 30, and any with a - next to them start at 20, with everything else starting at 25 (so frontier world characters have 30 Ballistic skill and perception but 20 Fellowship and everything else will be 25). From there you have 60 "free" points that you can distribute how you wish on a 1 for 1 basis, so long as no stat goes above 40 baseline.

Once your stats are set and you have all you skills/traits/talents in place for your planet/background/role, you have 1000 free exp to spend to flesh yourself out a bit more. You get a number of free requisition bonuses equal to your influence modifier (i.e. 2 if you have the default 25 influence) and you also need to roll 1d100 for your character divination on page 84

Edit: General PBP courtesy is to roll your dice on http://orokos.com/roll/ and link said rolls in your post. Don't cheat or we will know.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Dec 30, 2015 around 23:15

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yeah, just keep your aptitudes and the cross reference charts for your advances handy. If you look over the talents enough you can get a feel for about what you can do with x aptitudes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

So like: if we have two guys who are both good at interrogating people, we can team up and play good cop/bad cop. If we're both good at doing research, we can research two things at once, or provide bonuses to one another, or maybe get into arguments about esoteric details of research technique. It'll work.

Also relevant: In Dark Heresy 2 there are skills and mechanics to support this sort of thing. Peep out Coordinated Interrogation in talents. It's pretty much "Good cop, Bad cop: the character mechanic"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

But if you folks are god cop and bad cop' what kind of cop does that make me?

And while we're on the topic of team play talents, anyone considering even doing some melee should look at double team. It makes even your most mediocre combatant a loving duelest.

You're good cop. Leperfish is bad cop. I'm MURDEROUS COP. Put me in their cage and I'll just foam at the mouth and fire wildly into the air.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Double team is melee only right? I can't take double team and try to gun-kata in melee to give my homies bonuses?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

There is target selection, which lets you shoot into melee (someone else) without the usual penalty. You actually don't take any penalties for using your own pistols in melee with someone else, you just do not get the point blank range bonus to hit.

I was caring less about my own personal to-hit values and thinking more in the terms of passing double team bonuses to others.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

Literally 40k Police Academy.

Even down to only having like 2 guys who can competently shoot guns and 1-2 who are competent in melee.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Right. It has been a bit tricky, but the warband is as follows:

thatbastardken with Gamma, because I like the idea of a bafflingly tough psyker that is hated and feared for being a witch and who just wants to ~belong~
Leperflesh with Ignatius, because Leperflesh is a system newbie and because it makes sense to put a diplomatic character on a diplomatic extraction!!
AcidRonin with Eadian, because AcidRonin is a system newbie and because I want to have nerdfights happen
Who What Now with Ignavus, because every party needs a metalman and because his spergy agoraphobic character with admech status is going to mesh with the setting in an interesting way.
DeathSandwich with Bulworth, because he was the first cop to get a bio up, it might be handy to have some actual muscle in the party, and because his dude will jar nicely with the rest of the party.

Apologies to the others who didn't get picked - I did appreciate 'em, and if you're still interested you'll be first recourse if anyone drops out in future.

Next steps will be to get AcidRonin and Leperflesh charsheets set up, and to discuss how the game will work. Will probably look at that tomorrow or Sunday.

One thing I do want to float is the idea that in play, I'm going to shift a deal of the worldbuilding onto you. If an NPC's not already explicitly described as bald, feel free to grab a handful of his lank, greying hair if you need to intimidate him, or to put words in her mouth if you want to hold a conversation. Or if you're looking to do an inquiry roll to find out whether anyone's spotted an escaped six-limbed xenos beast, feel free for it to be market day at a nearby bazaar so you can go and scare the poo poo out of as many people as possible, or come up with a nearby imperial cult chapel with an attendant priest who just might know.

As a general rule you won't get explicit mechanical bonuses from this - there'll be no convenient lascannons lying behind barricades in combat, nor will you be able to arbitrarily claim roll bonuses without running it by me first, but I generally tend to give easier target numbers for well-described, smart, or just plain audacious plans. Plus it enables your characters to actually interact with the world.

Are you going to collect planetary factoids from us like in the scruntgame?

Edit: Will do some in character flavor posts later tonight.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICE7kFwmNdk
Barry "The Bull" Bullworth

The crew informally called the place Club Limbo. 'Where you can find out how low life can be' was the motto the crew gave it. In reality the place was a run down watering hole located in the bowels of the ship. The ships laborers come here because the drinks are cheap, and the midshipmen and officers like it because nobody asks questions. It's got a reputation for being rough, you occasionally get an angry officer coming down there looking to fight one of his lessers. More often than not they leave with a few new scars and a refusal to talk about what happened.

And I happened to find myself there, nursing a glass of rotgut amsec.

I had been aboard the Rogue Trader fleet The Victorious for about a month. Since leaving the Fenwarth IV I spent a fair amount of time in this dive. After leaving the Arbites I had nowhere to on the planet. I'd been too inconvenient to too many people on the planet. It was only a matter of time until someone decided to lodge a bullet in my brain. Getting away from that dusty rock was the only way to salvage anything resembling a life. I could no longer call myself an Arbites, but what I had learned was still useful. No matter where you go, inevitably someone will carry a grudge on someone else. Shipboard spouses suspect each other of cheating, an officer needs a stolen artifact found with no paper trail, scared people need protection. I could help people with their problems for a price. I was was useful to some people who mattered: I was effective and I didn't ask too many hard questions. It'd give me some seed cash to get situated wherever I wind up. So I can do something responsible with my life. Or at least, that was the plan until Lucille entered my life.

She seemed wildly out of place at the time, a high-strung beauty dressed for attention in a den of deviants and ruffians. At any other bar I would of mistook her for a working girl looking for a new john based on her looks. She sat down the bar from me and exchanged looks before I went back to my drink. Not that I wasn't interested, I just had too much grief bouncing around my mind without getting a dame mixed up in things. It was about the time that I settled my mind elsewhere that she came back to the forefront.

"Are you Bulworth?" She asked, sliding over to the stool next to mine.

"Right now I'm just a guy enjoying his drink." I said, eyes fixed on the rows of half empty bottles across from me.

"I was told I could find you here, by Ensign Fredrick Vansig. He said you could help me."

"Vansig is a dry-drunk, he probably told you wrong." I replied, trying my hardest not to care.

"But I don't know who else I can turn to.. "

I finally turn to face her, "You see that guy over there?" I ask, nodding my head toward the very large sailor in the corner throwing darts at an ancient, faded board. "They call him Frankie Two-Tone. If you need protection from someone he'll turn them black and blue. He's very good at what he does. Don't even have to worry about him making untoward advances, you're not his preferred gender."

"That's not the kind of help I need. I don't want to hurt anyone!" She said pleadingly the beginning of a tear in her eye.

I put my drink down, ice cubes rattling tersely on the old wooden bartop. "Fine, let's hear what you got to say."

The woman intoduced herself as Lucille Romero, only child of Norman Romero and heir to the Romero trade syndicate. Due to her political position she didn't have a childhood to speak of, surrounded by servants and minders. True to her Noble upbringing, her father was absentee her young life, practically a stranger. When she had finally come of age, her father entered back into her life. Instead of grooming her to take over the family business like she had hoped, he had instead done so to arrange her marriage and sell her off to one of their allied families. Her arranged fiancee, while a gifted businessman, was a sadist she said as she pulls one of her dress legs back, revealing jagged chain scars. She called the scars 'his burdens', the mark a raving monster out of control and hungry for human suffering. She was able to slip from his brutal hand before their marriage and get off planet, finding her way onto this vessel. She was afraid though, she thought she may be made and that someone was going to come for her. Her father, concerned only about securing a patriarchal lineage and not for his daughter's well being, was helping her fiancee to track her down. Afraid her identity has been made, she decided no amount of muscle could save her from his wrath and has decided she needs to disappear instead. She didn't have much cash, but she was willing to pay with the expensive jewelry she snagged during her succor from her tormentor's estate.

I bought into whole sad story. That was my big mistake. The voice of reason asked why a woman in her position would come to a rat infested dive dressed for a gala party. Something didn't make sense but at that point I was 3 drinks too far gone to piece it together. There's a reason I don't do business at a bar.

I pay my bill and we get out of the bar as quick as possible. As I pointed out, there were several in the bar that have been staring star-struck, dark thoughts boiling underneath and we'd attract more attention if we stayed. I add that she can't go back to her cabin, if someone has made her that'll be the first place they come for her. I tell her she can stay in the second cabin afforded to me to use as a make-shift office. She was eagerly agreeable, I should have noticed how quickly and readily she was ready to leave what little worldly possessions behind.

I tell her if she wants to disappear she'll need to change her look. Cut her hair, get clothing that is 'beneath her'. Ditch the jewelry and hide any distinguishing marks. It was about this time that we rounded the corner to the hall containing both my cabins.

The door swung open and I immediately caught the scent of fancy cologne and foreign incense. A faintly lit heavy-set figure sitting at my desk shifted back, casting a long droopy shadow across the threshold like the visage of death. Before I could move to draw I felt the distinct point of a pistol barrel dig into my kidneys. "Un-uh there, no quick moves hot-shot. I said I didn't want to hurt anyone and I still mean it." said Lucille now holding a compact laspistol she must of kept in a hidden pocket the whole time.

I'd been played like a piano. For the moment I cared less about the man ahead of me and more about the woman

I turn my head enough for her to know I was talking to her"So the sob story about the bloodthirsty fiancee?"

She tossed her hair and shrugged speaking with a different, stronger accent, "It was the stone cold truth hun. All up until the part where I forgot to mention that I killed the bastard on my way out." before mockingly shooting me puppy dog eyes and prodding me with the pistol's barrel to get me moving.

She sat me down opposite the man behind the desk and leaned against the far wall, her part in this game was done and she lost all interest in what came next.

We sat in unsettling silence for a moment, sizing each other up. He was build like a brick shithouse in a fancy suit, only most shithouses don't look this mean. Some of the bulk was due to telltale signs of cybernetic implants but I figured even without the guy was jacked and ready to go 12 rounds with a mutant grox regardless. I broke the silence by being the first one to speak.

"I don't know what you're two's game is. If you were hired to kill me, I count 3 different dark corners you could of plugged me on the way back from the bar. You didn't disarm me, so you're not capturing me to be tortured or killed by whomever I hosed over back on Fenwarth. If it's a job, it's obviously not the sort of job you normally see among the petty squabbles of a Rogue Trader's entourage. What angle are you playing?"

The man in response slides a dataslate over to me. He addresses me as I reach for the tablet with a voice as booming and commanding as you would expect from a man of his stature. "There's about eighty thousand souls on this vessel, more than enough work to be had for someone with your skills. You could find a new planet to call home, make money hand over fist running protection details for Noble children or helping divorcee's claim their rightful alimony. But deep down you know that as long as you are alive, someone in that cartel wants you dead. No matter how far you travel, you'll always be looking over your shoulder" He nods at the dataslate in my hand. On it was an Imperial record: The official obituary of Arbites trooper Barry Bulworth. Killed in an accidental explosives discharge at an Arbites munitions warehouse on Fenwarth IV. He continues to speak "Sorry you won't be able to perform your own eulogy, but I can offer you something more meaningful than cheating spouses and petty crimes."

He leans in enough that I can make out the features of his face in the dismal light. His wide grin belies the jagged scar across his face and the cybernetic left eye that resides in the middle of it. "What have you heard about the inquisition?"

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2016 around 20:16

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

No, we didn't start, I'm doing flavor posts to establish my characters background and history. It happens fairly often in pbp games to flesh out the characters mindset and to establish how they view other player characters.

I probably should of said that up front. I also can get kind of on them as well.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2016 around 18:31

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only pointing this out because it's going to drive me bonkers if you do it throughout a PbP thread...

it's "should have" not "should of." Could have, would have. have.

Sorry. I'm sorry. I won't pick apart people's writing in general. This is an informal context. I'm just incapable of not wincing whenever someone makes that particular error.

Sorry teacher, I fixed it now.

Leperflesh posted:

Classy dames and brick shithouses, eh? Your character is a big fan of 38 thousand year old anachronistic film noir phrasing.

It's cute.

I mean, I literally wrote most everything about this character while this played on a second monitor. I use a picture from that as my character portrait. Just be glad I didn't torture the metaphors to to that degree. I'm not sure if I'll keep it up come the game thread. I may switch over to third person for that and ease up on the gents and dames 1950s Noir.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2016 around 20:19

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hey DJF, if you want help making Leperfish and AcidRonin's character sheets I may be able to do some of that. I'll be tied up tonight and tomorrow for my birthday but I can throw some sheets together Sunday evening or Monday.

Edit: Something to keep in mind is that with our current roster (discounting the characters that still needs to be created) is we have nobody with even trained Medicae. Since we probably won't have a fieldcraft aptitude between the lot of us, it would probably be worthwhile for one of the intelligence aptituded people to take a 200 xp hit to at least get a basically trained medic that can at least try to stop someone from bleeding to death.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2016 around 21:56

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Important to note: You both get at 3 acquisitions due to influence.

Some good ideas of things to pick based on what you guys have baseline

A weapon and some armor: The armor thing is less important for Ignatius because he starts with pretty decent armor but if we get in any scraps it may be worthwhile for Eadian to have some better armor. Due to the requesition bonus, He can theoretically start with Best Quality Chainmail which seems like something a vain noble would don if only to impress his friends with the craftsmanship.

Another consideration for Eadian would be a good candidate for a hand flamer. It's not dependent on ballistics skill rolls and is also available to him at rare availability.. It's still pistol sized and could be used in lieu of a melee weapon should he find himself engaged in fisticuffs. Even if he doesn't take a flamer proficiency it's still going to probably be more effective than anything else his character could do in melee or short range. It's also significantly more concealable and probably easier on subtlety compared to a regular full sized flamer.

Eadin can also pick up a good quality (rare) medi-kit if himself or someone else is to pick up the medicae skill, it would certainly help in any sort of medical situation.

Rebreathers or void suits would be potentially useful since it's been said we're going to an ocean world.

There's some other miscellaneous gear that would be potentially useful during our adventures. Las Cutters for cutting bulkheads and sawing through doors, multikey for picking locks and disabling traps. Eadian can get a signal jammer to squash any communications if we're breaching and clearing a cultist shithole doing delicate ops and don't want to be disturbed.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2016 around 18:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

EDIT: Subtlety is out ability to work as a group without being obviously inquisition yes?

Pretty much yes. It's kind of a combination of how your characters are equipped and how you approach in game situations (with a scale of 'kick in the door kill them all and let the Emperor sort them out' on one end vs 'strictly observe and report and don't ever confront face to face' on the other). It's important to note that most imperial citizens don't tool around in power armor toting storm bolters for milk runs so generally speaking the bigger and flashier weapons and armor you get the harder it becomes to hide your backing. As far as subelty goes, we'd probably be in the 40-50 range or so since while we would stand out as being unusually well armed we're still reasonably equipped for the professions we came from. In addition to that, our approach is probably generally going to be to do some basic fact finding before we reach the ultimate endgoal of blasting the obviously guilty and sparing the obviously innocent.

Also it's probably fair to say that I will be the most distinctly unsubtle character in the group and my presence will probably tank our subtlety by about 10 points.

Edit: I just found the greatest dumb thing in the armory for Enemies Within. The Flail of Chastisement.

It's basically a low tech category bladed whip that does a staggering 1d10+8 damage pen 2 although with Primitive(8). It's got Snare(2) meaning once you hit an enemy it wraps around them and holds them helpless unless they succeed a full round -20 agility test to break free. In addition it's also got crippling(2) as long as the enemy is bound in it, meaning any full round action (like trying to escape it) automatically does 2 damage ignoring armor or toughness. It's also Flexible so it can't be parried at all. This would be a good hostile capture tool if you can avoid killing them outright with that massive damage. If they struggle they'll just draw themselves slowly into critical damage where they will either take big fatigue hits and go unconscious or lose a limb and go unconscious until we stabilize and black bag him.

If we wanted to get double super extra dumb with it: It's also Rare Availability so Eadian can take it as one of his starting requisitions. I would almost expect DJF to veto that though because it seems almost brokenly good.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2016 around 14:50

• Locked thread
«10 »