Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't know if you want a current guy in your game, but I want to give a "serious setting" 40k game a go (and I am OK with multitasking) Inquisitor business and Scrunt poo poo).

I have this idea for like an Inquisitor dude who's son of a grox baron on a Wild West planet whose parents were killed by Chaos cultists stealing their grox to sacrifice to the Chaos Gods and he went on a revenge spree but I dunno what category Cowboy Planet fits in that list (it's an Agri-World but it's not on that list).

As for playstyle: I was thinking a ranged character since I want to try something different. Definitely want revolvers and maybe a rifle for longer range encounters.

Give me the OK and I'll whip something up this weekend.

EDIT: If that doesn't work I'll just make another melee man.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah sure give it a go

agri-world is in an expansion i don't have, i guess the closest would be feral or shrine out of the available options. i will consider non-core roles, backgrounds and homeworlds if it's really necessary for a character to work mechanically, but probably not if the only issue is the chracter background - in that case you can just reskin an existing world with the closest fit.

Sweet.

EDIT: Frontier world sounds about right if you don't mind me using that:

quote:

Frontier World: (Introduced in Enemies Within) Frontier World Character gains +20 bonus to tech use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items

Characteristic Modifiers: Bonus to Ballistic skill and Perception, penalty to Fellowship
Starting Fate Points: 3 (Emperor's Blessing on 7+)
Aptitude: Ballistic skill
Starting Wounds: 7+1d5

Perfect for a guy who grew up on Planet Bumfuck and had to shoot predators and rustlers, and had to maintain his guns.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 18, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Can someone explain character (things like stat rolling and such) creation to me? I've stumbled upon a pdf of the core rulebook and it's not helping.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So with point buy take a look at the characteristic modifiers for your home planet. Any characteristics with a + beside them start at 30, and any with a - next to them start at 20, with everything else starting at 25 (so frontier world characters have 30 Ballistic skill and perception but 20 Fellowship and everything else will be 25). From there you have 60 "free" points that you can distribute how you wish, so long as no stat goes above 40 baseline.

Once your stats are set and you have all you skills/traits/talents in place for your character and his background, you have 1000 free exp to spend to flesh yourself out a bit more. You get a number of free requisition bonuses equal to your influence modifier (i.e. 2 if you have the default 25 influence) and you also need to roll 1d100 for your character divination on page 84

Thanks dude

EDIT: Did you do your point buy through a website? If so, do you mind posting the link?

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 18, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I just eyeballed it, it's only 60 points to distribute in 1-20 point chunks. Just prioritize what attributes are important to you and give them first cuts at the point pool. With my character I knew I was going to max out BS, Agi, and toughness so that was 40 points there to feed those (10 for BS because it was one of my home planet's favored stats, 15 for the other two). I also needed enough fellowship, willpower, and perception to use my arbites skills (interrogation, inquiry, and scrutiny) decent enough to not be a bad cop, so the last 20 got distributed pretty evenly to those.

Thanks again, dude.

EDIT: Here's a WIP char sheet I whipped up, feel free to look at it and critique it, haven't spent XP on any traits and stuff (beyond starting skills, talents, and aptitudes)

code:
Name: Bob (Placeholder Name)
Homeworld: Frontier World
Background: Outcast
Role: Desperado
Wounds: 7+1d5
Fate Threshold: 3 (Emperor's Blessing 7+)

Home World Bonus: 
Rely on None but Yourself: 
A frontier world character  
gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying 
personal weapon modiications, and a +10 bonus  
when repairing damaged items

WS:  25 (25 (base)
BS:  30 (30 (base)
S:   25 (25 (base)
T:   25 (25 (base)
Ag:  25 (25 (base)
Int: 25 (25 (base)
Per: 30 (30 (base)
WP:  25 (25 (base)
Fel: 20 (20 (base)

Skills:
Acrobatics 
Common Lore (Underworld), 
Deceive 
Dodge 
Stealth

Aptitudes:
Fieldcraft
Agility 
Ballistic Skill 
Defense 
Fellowship 
Finesse

Talents:
Weapon Training (Chain)
Weapon Training (Solid Projectile)
Quick Draw

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

You should have 7 aptitudes total. Since you get Ballistic Skill aptitude from both Frontier world and Desperado, you can change one of the duplicate Ballistic aptitudes to another of the basic aptitudes based on a characteristic (like Strength or willpower aptitudes, you can't add offense/tech/knowledge ect.) I took my duplicate BS aptitude and rolled it into Toughness to make me mega hard, but if you want to differentiate yourself you can always put it into Weapon Skill or Strength and become more of a sword + pistol guy.

I was thinking a double revolver character (my initial idea is a Space Cowboy) but I don't if I'll get better revolvers later on to for the core cowboy theme. There's still some time to think about it and I'm willing to ditch the "Western-style weapons only" gimmick if it means not lagging behind in damage dealing.

As for sword and pistol, I always wanted to try it but it seems like a hefty investment (since it looks like I'll need Ambidextrous, Two Weapon Fighting for both melee and ranged, and then Sidearm). I might change the duplicate Ballistic Skill aptitude for Perception or maybe Willpower.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

With Intelligence and Fieldcraft, Medicae is only 100 XP for the first rank, right?

I might go the Doc Holiday route, with a medic, you can guys can die later stay alive!

EDIT: If I decide not to spend all my character creation XP, can I bank it?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Yes but you'll have to wait for downtime to spend it.

That's fine.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Werix posted:

My other guy is also the fixer too, imperial guard heirophant who also uses chain swords. Maybe you just don't have room for what I want to app because others were quicker on the draw. Namely a dude or lady what kills other folks with guns.

If you want, use my original character concept: An angry rear end in a top hat Arbites who was on the 40k equivalent of COPS.

EDIT: If you pick this, go melee warrior and treat encounters as warantless drug searches.

(Also I'm making some last minute adjustments to my space cowboyman, will post later).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 22, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I was to submit my character earlier but then I got wrapped up (har) in Christmas stuff, but here he is:

"Doctor" Matthius Dreyfuss
Background: Outcast (works mechanically I guess)

Background Info & poo poo:
Sanctuary IV is a podunk Agri-World in the making: It's been colonized for the past few decades, but full-scale production is expected to begin the next two centuries at the pace it's going in, if you don't take in the Imperium's vast and tangled web of red tape into account. The current technology of the world is on par with 19th century Wild West Terra, but there's a mix of Imperium tech.

Matthius made a mixed living traveling throughout the world, tending to the sick, gambling, and bounty hunting. The target that led to Matthius joining the Inquisiton was hunting down the outlaw Blind Barnabas, who was wanted for murder, robbery, (supposed) Chaos worship, and smacking a barmaid in the face with an empty beer bottle. He eventually tracked him down to a forest hideout, and a brief shootout ensued, with Barnabas dying from a shot between his (non-functioning) eyes.

This attracted the attention of an Inquitisition detachment that was tracking him, and Matthius ended up joining them, sometimes being in a retinue or going solo, and he recently recieved a report for a mission to Ourybia. However, they failed to mention anything beyond that.

quote:

Name: "Doctor" Matthius Dreyfuss
Background: Outcast
Wounds: 8
Fate Points: 3 (Emperor's Blessing 7+)
Divination: Only the insane have strength enough to prosper (Increases Willpower by 3, and the first time he gains 1 or more Insanity Point each session, he gains that amount plus 1 instead)

Home World Bonus:
Rely on None but Yourself:
A frontier world character
gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying
personal weapon modifications, and a +10 bonus
when repairing damaged items

Background Bonus:

Never Quit:
An Outcast character counts his Toughness bonus as two higher for purposes of determining Fatigue

Role Bonus:
Move and Shoot (Once per round, can perform a free Standard Attack with a pistol after performing a Move Action)

WS: 25 (25 (base)
BS: 40 (30 (base) + (10 point buy)
S: 25 (25 (base)
T: 30 (25 (base) + (5 point buy)
Ag: 40 (25 (base) + (15 point buy)
Int: 40 (25 (base) + (15 point buy)
Per: 30 (30 (base)
WP: 33 (25 (base) + (5 point buy) + ( 3 Divination)
Fel: 30 (20 (base) + (10 point buy)
Inf: 20 (20 base)

Gear:
Autopistol
Flak Vest
Chainsword
Injector
2 doses of Obscura
Stub automatic
Imperial Guard flak armor

(Requisitions are in bold)

Skills:
Acrobatics
Common Lore (Underworld)
Deceive
Dodge (Trained) (100 XP)
Stealth
Medicae (Trained) (100 XP)

Aptitudes:
Fieldcraft
Agility
Ballistic Skill
Defense
Fellowship
Finesse
Intelligence

Talents:
Weapon Training (Chain)
Weapon Training (Solid Projectile)
Quick Draw
Two Weapon Fighter (ranged) (300 XP)
Ambidextrous (200 XP)
Rapid Reload (200 XP)

XP: 100/1000

Going for a sawbones doctor, since we'll need someone to take care of the wounded (which is mostly just pouring whiskey on the wounds and using slightly clean cloth as bandages).

And a couple of things:

- Since I don't plan on going melee, would it be possible to swap the Chainsword (and maybe its accompanying Weapon Training talent) with something else? If something medical is too much, then I'm ok with a basic rifle of some sort.

- I barely know requisitions work, but I'd like a second pistol and some Imperial Guard Flak Armor if possible, even if it's just armor ripped off some poor dead guy 5 minutes ago. Nothing a trip in the washer can't fix!

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 29, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Requisition works in that at character creation you get a number of items equal to your Influence bonus (I'm guessing your IFL score is 25 since it's not listed, so 2 items) that are of Scarce availability and anything more common than that. Guard's Flak is Scarce, so go for it. For pistols all SP ones are available, as the rarest is the Hand Cannon at scarce.

I forgot the Influence stat :doh:

But yeah I think it's around that, I'll probably nab a semi-auto and the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah I might trade in the chainsword for something else.

I'll also flesh out the backstory in a bit, and provide a justification as to why the cowboy is also a semi-medic.

• Locked thread