Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

counterpoint: take four monotask Laud Hailer servoskulls

e: also if you grab random poo poo on the hope that it's useful, you may just end up lugging a glorified paperweight around with you. it is well within your capacity to identify a need for something and then go shopping for it.

the flipside of this is that if you requisition rare items in the field you take Subtlety hits, so it's really a case of which risk you want to take

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you want to get super extra dumb with it you take two of them, because they're inexplicably one-handed

my initial suspicion was that the flail of chastisement has had its stats swapped with the electro-flail, and looking at the errata it nearly has:

but of course you can still whip people, tangle them up, and then wander off to whip more people with no problem

subtlety post forthcoming, as mentioned

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that isn't a character concept, unless you plan to play Jeremy Whipman, the whipper, who raises whippets. that's a combat style.

anyway: Influence and Subtlety

quote:

Influence represents an Acolyte’s reputation, connections, resources, and other factors that allow him to obtain desired results from the citizens and institutions of the Imperium. The higher a character’s Influence, the better he is able to exert control over others, and hence the easier it is for him to get items delivered, services performed, and other actions taken at his request. All Acolytes start with a certain amount of Influence, which they can increase through gameplay.

Influence is the one stat that you can't increase through spending XP; you can set it at chargen but you can only modify it through your actions. You use influence to make Influence Tests. You basically make these when you want things from people!

• Requisitions - when you want items or services, you have to procure them.
  • Social interactions - you don't need to use Influence when interacting with people, as you can Charm, Deceive, Intimidate etc. with no reputational backup. Depending on context, though, it can make your life a lot easier if you bring your personal, professional, or Inquisitorial clout to bear - however, depending on the context in which you wield your influence, you can also negatively impact Subtlety.
  • Investigations - kind of a synthesis of the above two. If you want to hire hive-gangers to scour a habfloor to look for a spent bolt casing, or if you need access to the Arbite labs, you'll need to apply some Influence. Again, the context in which you wield your Influence can make your roll easier, at the cost of Subtlety.

You can gain Influence by making useful connections, getting people into your debt, finding a large amount of ready money, or being known to have performed impressive deeds.

You can lose Influence by seriously failing up Influence tests, by spending 1d5 Influence to auto-succeed on an Influence test, by summoning reinforcement characters, or by being known to have hosed up important tasks.

You can, in extremis, use your Inquisitor's influence. This is likely to be somewhere in the region of double your own, but using it will automatically dock your Subtlety, and if you don't have a very good explanation for why you need to do it, well...

quote:

Subtlety represents how secretive or overt the Acolytes are in their behaviour as they prosecute an investigation. Subtlety ranges from 0–100 and can be used as the basis for a test, just like a characteristic. Unlike characteristics, there is a single Subtlety value for the warband of Acolytes, which the GM tracks in secret, so that the players never know exactly what their Subtlety score is. The higher the Acolytes’ Subtlety is, the less their enemies and potential allies know of their actions. The more their Subtlety decreases, the more transparent their actions become and the more others know. Inquisitors and their Acolytes take many different approaches to accomplish their duties, and a high Subtlety is not necessarily better. While many Inquisitors prefer to move unseen throughout the Imperium, the better to take their enemies by surprise, some operate openly, trusting in the populace’s fear of the Inquisition to smoke out the heretics amongst them. High and low Subtlety both have benefits and drawbacks, depending on the situation and the Acolytes’ methods.

Subtlety is a party stat, and boils down to "how well can we operate without drawing undue attention". It's not "does anyone know we're the Inquisition" - it is "does anyone know we're a well-armed band of murderhobos". You start with a Subtlety of 50.

Rules as written you are encouraged to do Subtlety rolls to see whether a given encounter knows you're coming - I will not be doing this, as it's ridiculous, and gives a 20% chance of a Subtlety 80 party of ghosts being ambushed. Instead, I will just look at your Subtlety score and figure out what's appropriate, based on their paranoia and capability. A chemmed-out gang may only start taking you seriously round about the 20 mark, whereas a paranoid spymaster might need somewhere in the 70s to catch entirely unawares.

You gain Subtlety by misdirection (i.e. lying, cover stories, disguises), by stealth, by generally keeping a low profile, or, where appropriate, by silencing any witnesses that can tie you to the horrible things you've done. So long as no-one identifies you, a bank robbery can be perfectly subtle.

You lose Subtlety by making a big deal of yourselves. Requisitioning rare kit, using your influence to coerce people into doing things, traipsing around in public with unnatural levels of ordnance, using rare and easily-identifiable weapons, combat in populated areas, etc. Even if no-one knows that you specifically have done a series of bloody killings, the heightened awareness and raised tensions make it a lot harder to work from the shadows.

As you start tending towards the extremes of high or low Subtlety, certain skills get easier because of your c/overtness. As examples:

When a covert/overt skill test becomes apparent, you can ask for a Subtlety test; if you pass, Overt skills get -20, Covert skills get +20. If you fail, Overt skills get +20, Covert skills get -20.

I will notify you in-game when and why your subtlety changes, but you won't get figures. You can also try and work out your approximate Subtlety score by spending some time on it and doing some appropriate skill rolls - e.g. Inquiry, "have you heard about this gang of badasses??", Security ("What's the Arbites got on us??"), Stealth (trailing people), etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Okay! I have time and inclination to do this character sheet stuff. I have some immediate questions:

-What does the Jaded talent do? And, if I take the 07 Divination result, am I getting Jaded from it, or did I already have it and I get WP +2 instead?
-What is a typical Awareness test difficulty? Being able to reroll it to avoid being surprised is great if it's normally a really tough roll, but if it's just a base roll vs. Per, maybe it's no big deal to get a reroll, since I'll definitely be putting some points into Per anyway.
-I assume my Aptitudes came from my background/homeworld/role. Are any of these swappable? Like, since it looks like I got Fellowship twice, and you put in Intelligence instead, was that a choice or was it a mandatory pick if I already had Fellowship?
What do all these Aptitudes do, anyway? Just bump up my base Characteristics by +5 each? If so, why are Fel and Inf starting at 30 for me? And, what's Finesse, Offence, and Social doing?
-Are my Wounds and Fate rolls good, or bad? What's the average amount of wounds and fate points?
-Are my Weapons mandatory picks, or just suggestions? I like the basic autopistol pick, but I don't know about the shock maul, which it seems is being supported by a spend in Talents. I think I'm going to want to have a stiletto and the skill to use it - I see that as more of an agility weapon than a strength one - but maybe shock is good too, for a melee weapon that bypasses armor. Would the shock maul be a very typical weapon for someone trying to keep a low profile, or is it showy? How big is a shock maul, anyway?
-Mesh Cloak seems fine. I'm thinking it's worn beneath clothing so it's subtle. Should I get some kind of head protection, and if so, is there something that wouldn't make me stand out as unusual in normal urban settings, including both in scummy bars and back alleyways, and when mingling with the hoi paloi?
-I'm not sure my character would know a xenos language. If he does, it'd probably be Ork, since the Orks were invading his home system, but maybe something else. Am I spending a Skills pick on this? If so, I might go with something else.
-Operate - definitely Aeronautica. My character is a voidborn guy who has spent way more time in space than on planet surfaces. Again though, is this using up a skill choice?
-I definitely like Scrutiny, Commerce, and the Lore pick. I might be interested in additional Lore - something to do with his background in the Navy, with the Administratum, or both...? I might also be interested in some kind of illicit substances type lore, like, skill with illegal drugs, is there a chym thing?
-Are my Talent picks open for adjustment? Ignatius has spent most of his career working alone, so I'm not sure Double Team is his style, even though it'd obviously be helpful in this case. Is there a list of Talents I could skim from?
-I like Sway the Masses and Breeding Counts, they're perfect. Not as sure about Inured to the Xenos. Ignatius knows about the Xenos, to some degree, but would he have actually met any? Do I have other options here?
-What's an Auspex do?
-Once I have the above covered I'll definitely buy some advances, and come up with an equipment wishlist for you guys to help me price out.

Ok, in order:

Jaded makes you immune to normal, mortal sources of fear; this is literally anything that isn't demonic, psychic, or halluc-grenade inspired. Examples include rampaging giant animals, leaping through flames, all that sort of thing. You do not currently have Jaded.

Awareness tests have no fixed difficulty. Tests tend to range on a bellcurve from -60 to +60, with +0 is the norm. Being surprised is pretty nasty, and avoiding it is good, but you can generally work round it by, well, being Subtle and careful and not getting into a position where you're surprised!

Aptitudes come from your background/homeworld/role, yes. If you have duplicates, e.g. you had Fellowship twice, you can swap it out for any other characteristic aptitude of your choice. I went with Intelligence as you indicated earlier that that's what you wanted, but you can easily swap that out. It will change what your XP costs for stuff are, though, so let me rejig those before you spend anything if you want to change out Intelligence.

Aptitude uses basically boil down to "make it cheaper for you to buy stuff you have aptitudes in". As an example, you have Fellowship and Social, meaning you buy associated skills (like Charm), talents and Fellowship advances at the cheapest rank. If you only had Social, you'd be be paying the middle rank, and if you had neither, you'd be paying top dollar. However, you'd have other aptitudes that give you access to cheaper skills in other areas, so you'd probably focus on those ones instead.

Wounds and Fate are average for your character, good for characters in general. Average wounds is about 11; average Fate is about 2-3. Highborn start with Fate 4, and can exceptionally start with 5.

Weapons are ones given to you by your role; these are ones you do start with. You don't need to use 'em; you can trade them away later. Shipboard shock mauls are kinda like a big riot baton and are kinda obvious; halfway between a holstered pistol and a great big assault rifle. You can, however, hide it under your cloak. Agility-based dagger melee combat isn't really any good; it's the tradeoff of being a touch more subtle and easier to conceal.

Mesh cloak is worn over clothing but, y'know, it's a big cloak. It's not particularly unusual to see cloaks in 40k. Head protection will protect you from 1 in 10 attacks. Guardsman flak helmet is about as much as you can get away with in public without people taking a vague interest, but if you get someone with Trade: Armourer to maybe add some cosmetic wear to the helmet it'll look more discreet.

Xenos tongue is, again, part of the starting package - you can ignore it, but it's free so you may as well take something. Everyone's got skills they won't use much.

Operate is part of the starting package. Aeronautica is planetside-to-orbit craft rather than voidcraft per se, which I guess makes sense.

Lores have a list to pick from, I'll post it in a bit. Chem stuff is covered by Medicae (synthesis) and Trade: Chymist (identification of reagents, etc).

Double Team comes from your Heirophant background, and I picked that because your alternative is Hatred (Pick One). You could go Orks, I guess, but I don't know how many you'll encounter.

Inured to Xenos comes from the Rogue Trader background; you can just play it off as being far too urbane to be bothered by Xenos, to be honest. No alternatives, unless you switch careers.

Auspices are handheld scanners. They give +20 to Awareness tests, as they help you find stuff, and you can use a Tech Use test to detect things not visible to the naked eye (e.g. gas leaks, people hiding in a cupboard)

Rogue Trader fleet's kind of a rough fit for your guy, but it does seem to be the best connect for "independent fixer in space" - Voidborn is geared towards psykers, Administratum is mostly knowledge-based.

e: fucks sake

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

All of my changes and additions are in bold. I also just threw up some equipment without regard to rarity or cost, so just let me know what's out of line and I'll remove it.

The overwhelming majority of what you want here is either stuff you can just have because it has no major mechanical benefit and acts instead as an aid to roleplay (e.g. booze, clothing, personal mementos), or stuff you can certainly requisition but you may be better off just requisitioning or making in the field (drugs, dagger, rebreather - this is an ocean world, they probably have a few spare, false IDs). Having stuff for barter is encompassed by your Influence stat; offering barter fodder to the right person in exchange for something would be an influence test with a bonus, otherwise it's just the usual rules for trading.

Lockpicks (i.e. a multikey), void suit, medkits are fine. Tranq pistols come in the form of Needle pistols, which a) require exotic weapon training at 200xp, b) are too rare for initial acquisition, and c) require you to find/make your own toxin. I have never encountered an RPG that does garrotting well, and DH2 sidesteps the issue by pretending it does not exist.

You have an influence of 40, so you've got 4 item picks.

Leperflesh posted:

I have nonoptimal Int and S, on the assumption that I can buy them up additionally in the future using XP? Since I could buy Fellowship for just 100xp I did that. If there's no point having Int 35 instead of 30 or 40, I can dump the 5 points from St or Int and put them in the other.

You can raise stats with XP later, yes. You normally get about 400 per chunk of campaign, i.e. every couple of scenes. Int of 35 is fine, it gives you a higher number to roll against.

AcidRonin posted:

EDIT: The High influence made sense since he is from an old Family and part of a old aristocracy? Should it be that high if it can change at random?

it changes based on what you do

AcidRonin posted:

Wait one more question, Can i take the hand flamer and the Signal Jammer and chain-mail by swapping what Jacketflesh gave me? Is that.......legal?

you don't need to swap anything, and in any event it'd be pointless. trading away kit only has a benefit if you're trading away stuff that's rarer than what you're hoping to get.

you have Influence 45 so you have 4 starting kit picks.

DeathSandwich posted:

You have 3 picks

you are full of lies and also your guy doesn't have an Influence stat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So, are "starting kit picks" different from the stuff you said I can just have? I take it they're the rarer stuff.

Too bad about the needle pistol thing, I guess 20th century tranq darts are lostech, lol. Is there another way to knock people out from a distance in this game? Maybe a sleep gas grenade, or do I just need to have a blackjack/kosh?

Void suit, medkit, and multikey would each count as one of your item picks, giving you a spare 4th. Multikey is arguably a bad idea for you, given that you are not Security trained, but you can probably hand it off to WWN's character, who is.

40k is not really a "knock people unconscious" type of setting. Gas grenades are not so much "less than lethal" as they are "occasionally not entirely lethal", and your best bet is Stunning a target before choking them out narratively.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can't go above 40 on any stat during point buy if we're going off the rules as written,

we're not, I've already said 45

I didn't say "this only applies to the two stats that you have as your Homeworld high ones", but should have. Most people have decided they want some balanced stats anyway so it's worked out alright.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man why does everyone forget that Adeptus Administratum characters are medics. they even start with a medkit and the Medicae skill

the subtlety of your armour depends on context; Enforcers can wander around the market in armour and no-one really cares, but take it into a crime bosses' den and people may take issue. i think I'll have it that wearing bulky armour will rarely cause subtlety hits on its own; only if you go somewhere where it would be extraordinary for you to be geared for a fight, and these will be pretty obvious. otherwise it will just make other subtlety hits worse.

helmet goes under the hood, chestpiece and arms have some extra-robe components, and leg armour becomes apparent when you move.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's pretty much fine. Best chain mail is kinda obvious but in a 'lol look at that noble' way rather than 'inquisitors!!'. Also if you swim in it you probably die, with your stats.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah you won't actually die with it. I think it weighs about the same as flak armour, although obviously traps a lot less air, and you never have to do swim tests when you're not in any danger or under duress.

E: duress includes 'heavily burdened' and 15kg isn't quite enough

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

As a note on timings:

• All character concepts and backstories should be in by Jan 7th so I can pick the squad.
  • All charsheets should be finalised by Jan 15th, and initial rules runthroughs done for those new to Dark Heresy 2. We'll have at least a full week to iron stuff out.
  • First game post will probably be around Jan 20th; I'll try to stick to Wednesday updates

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's generally thousands of different currencies but you won't go far wrong by referring to the values as Gelt or Thrones. the actual tender can be whatever you like, whether it's rare space-grown gemstones or chips of gold or paper money or great big ornate books.

you guys will have met a day or so before the game starts. you have not been sent dossiers, but as you're all inquisitorial agents, you all have different channels to pump for info. plus you've all got different skills, so what may be a first meeting for one of you may in fact be like the third time the other guy's spoken to you. do what you like with the first impressions, including keeping them entirely to yourself - it can be literally as you meet them for the first time, it can be your impressions on what you've found out about them, or it can be your opinion on their clothing choice. it's just if you post 'em it gives people a better aid to roleplaying with and at your character.

It also helps you with ammunition for intra-party investigations!!

This is an idea I've been kicking around to get the party to interact with each other - the basic idea is that you're not all mindless drones working for the Inquisition, you each have your own agendas. Each of you wants some arcane information or some meaningless concession from one of the other party members, and you're trying to get it at the same time as doing your usual Acolyte stuff.

This is not PVP, and no-one loses anything or gains any mechanical advantage other than what I'll cover off.

It's up to you to decide what you're trying to achieve, and you basically have almost complete narrative control over it - maybe you think your designated target knows something about a shipping disaster you lost a colleague in, maybe their fighting style looks like that of a guy whose trail you once lost and you think they might have some info on him. It might literally be as simple as you want to curry your target's good opinion. So as to not impose on other people's characters and backstory, they are fully within their rights to go "nope, that's not true" or "nope, don't have a clue, sorry" if you flat-out ask them something, but the point being is your character will learn something useful from this anyway.

Once per scene, at an appropriate juncture (i.e. not mid-combat), you can use whatever the hell skill you please to try and wrestle a nugget of intel out of your designated target. They can use whatever the hell skill they like to deflect your inquiry. It's basically an opposed skill test with none of the usual constraints on what you have to use. The winner gets +5 to their next test as a self-confidence bonus, the loser loses nothing at all. The instigator can get up to 50xp a pop depending on how effectively it's been woven into the narrative and whether or not they've used that skill for this purpose before.

You can do this up to four times with your target (i.e. after four scenes) before reaching resolution on whatever it is you're trying to accomplish; hopefully this has followed some sort of arc of successes and failures. You'll then get either +3 Insanity or +3 Corruption, and an increase of +3 Influence. Again, it is entirely up to you what the narrative reasoning behind this is - it might be that finding out what you were seeking has given you the resolve to make use of funding sources you otherwise couldn't bring yourself to accept, or maybe you've got all the info you need to mug that wealthy nobleman or whatever.

Chain of targets goes as follows, arrows denotes "wants something from": Gamma -> Ignatius -> Eadian -> Aperta -> Bulworth -> Gamma

Is that something you want to play around with, or do you think it'll draw attention from the main story?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

as emphatically highlighted, it's because i want you guys to interact with each other.

i'm not interested in you each doing your own b-plots and serenading some npcs with your master-crafted backstories while the rest of the party look on adoringly from the sidelines. the idea is for your character to opportunistically realise "hey i can use these people who i have been thrown together with", and for you as a player to have to weave a separate thread into your narrative with the constraints of a) making it make sense and b) not dragging down the main plot

also who says the other players have dirt on you. do i need to put "you have almost complete narrative control" in larger font

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Also having never done this before do I need to have every little thing on my sheet in terms of Lo sticks, booze?

in Dark Heresy 1, yes, you would. in Dark Heresy 2, no, you don't

if you want booze, lho etc you just have it, or you can buy it from a street vendor with very little fanfare. there's just no point in tracking little things like that - it'd be like making you do skill tests for inconsequential actions like climbing ladders. we are tracking ammo and kit, though!

i think we're on track for opening the game thread on Wednesday 20th, unless anyone has further concerns or uncertainties. please make sure your charsheet is up to scratch and all in one post. please also name your profession (i.e. you're not a Seeker, you're an Oathsworn Bounty Hunter or something).

get all your requisitions done, do some initial first-impressions if you want. a little closer to the time i will run through how you post (it's pretty standard) and how you do rolls - i will probably devolve some of the rolling to you and do some of the rolls myself

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Their you go.

ok, sorry, not looked at this properly until now.

first up, you've got the stats for the Light Flak Cloak instead of the regular Flak Cloak; should be 3AP on body/limbs. unless for some reason you want the light flak cloak; they are exactly as rare and subtle as each other

second up, you have a hand flamer with no training for it. you can still use it, but if you don't buy Weapon Training: Flame at 300xp then people get +20 to dodge your attacks with it. stats for it are as follows: pistol/ 10m/ s/-/- / 1d10+4E / pen2 / clip2 / reload 2full / Flame, Spray

thirdly, you need to pick specialisations for Lore skills, as per your Scholastic Lore: Tactica - these are on pages 102, 104 and 113. useful Scholastic lores would probably be stuff that inquisitors are expected to deal with - heresy, etc. ditto for useful forbidden lores - Space Marines and Adeptus Mechanicus will probably be not particularly useful for you.

fourthly, please put your purchased skills + talents in the skills and talents section of your charsheet. leperflesh, ditto for you. if your advance has a characteristic next to it (e.g. Fel), it's a skill. if it has a number, it's a characteristic advance and you need to make sure it's reflected in your stats. if it has neither, it's a talent, so put it in the talents section.

Who What Now posted:

Updated my character sheet with my profession (Magos Errant) and a combat quick-reference sheet, if anyone else wants to use it as a template.

cool cool. combat reference sheet is handy but not essential - what i tend to forget is stuff like defensive talents (e.g. True Grit), so that's the sort of thing that'd be useful to post. again, i'll cover this off a bit closer to the time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also it's a flamethrower so you can use it to set stuff on fire. also also if there's no space for someone to dodge, they can't dodge.

i just wanted to make sure that you're aware of what's happening with your gun

gonna do a How Me Make Post guide shortly, and i should probably also start drafting the game thread. we go live on wednesday, Get Hype

Leperflesh posted:

No idea what my professional title would be. Inquisitorial liason? Social mechanicus? Maybe something more unassuming?

Do we have, like, a rank in the Inquisition? Does the Inquisition even have ranks?

literally whatever you want to be known as. if you want to be known as something like a Frumentarian Agent or something equally dog-latin and have people understand what that means, that's fine. it's honestly just an adjective that isn't Heirophant.

inquisitiorial rank is Acolyte. this is a broad rank spanning "gibbering newbie" to "possibly the most dangerous man on the planet". the inquisition doesn't really have ranks, just Inquisitors/Not Inquisitors, influence and coercion.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hah

yeah that's good

your stiletto has stats of melee / 1d5 R + SB (knives are pointy fists in the world of dark heresy), and if you could put (req) next to your medkit, multikey, photovisor and void suit that'd be helpful because it points out when you acquired them.

void suit will be usable underwater, incidentally, albeit clumsily

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok here's how you maek psot

PBP Posting

Formatting for these games stays fairly consistent; for my posts, I will give them a bolded title, a bolded location/scene name, and a bolded, much more generic location that'll be the ship or the planet you're on. You might get some musical backing, which you are welcome to click or to not click. For the main body of the post, "Speech" and Names will be in bold; normal text will be normal. Out of character text will be in italics; this will normally be separated from the rest of the post by a line of hyphens. Information that only certain characters have will be spoilered, following that character's name. Posts will generally be in present tense, flashbacks will be in perfect. Just follow along with the tense I'm using, basically.

An example is as follows:

quote:

Humble Beginnings
The Bridge
"Fear Not His Mailed Fist", Lunar-class cruiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVTga5g66s

"I'm glad you could all join me, Acolytes," booms Inquisitor Terentius, "for we have much work to do. Follow me! To my... inner sanctum!"

He unlocks the ostentatious double doors with a gnarled, baroque key. He hurls them open with a powerful gesture, revealing a small, grimy bedchamber. The walls are lined with lurid and upsetting art. Leaning in close, he whispers into Bulworth's ear: "breathtaking, is it not?"

------

welcome to anime club. Give me a +0 Toughness test to not become nauseated.

Gamma: you're pretty sure you can sense the warp here, even through the Gellar field
Ignatius: you recognise this as Tau art; possession of this is pretty heretical!!
Aperta: this is just like in that corrupted dataslate you discovered in the arch-heretic's lair!
Eadian: there's a guy hiding behind one of the wallhangings. he's trying not to be heard.

For you guys, whenever you make a post I want your charsheet linked in the title. Good example is found here.

It would also be moderately useful for you to link a combat block like at the bottom of Aperta's sheet, but that's not essential. What I would ask is for you to highlight any defensive talents you have, or current temporary circumstances that might have an impact on people attacking you.

You also really really really need to keep your charsheets updated. With damage, expended ammunition, thrown grenades, all that sort of thing. As an example, if you don't update your charsheet after receiving healing, play will continue as though you're still wounded. I will periodically be checking up on this but it's much easier for you guys to handle it.

-------------

In terms of how you post - do a description of what you want to achieve, and then make notes on it in the out-of-character italics at the bottom. Some of you will know that you're trying to roll Common Lore - Anime Wallscrolls, and that's fine. Some of you will have less of an immediate ability to translate into game actions, and that's fine too - just make sure it's clear what you're trying to achieve.

If you're doing something that doesn't progress the plot - e.g. share a smoke with a guard - you don't need to do any rolls (but why are you doing it?). If you're trying to do something that can have plot ramifications - e.g. talk your way past a guard - this probably needs a skill roll. Please give me a d100 roll from a tracked site like Orokos; you won't know all the modifiers, so you won't know if you've succeeded or failed, so don't continue your post until you get a response. Best practice is to leave your thread hanging at the point where you try and perform the skill.

If you're in combat, please leave the rolls to me. Combat has a restricted set of actions - we'll deal with that when we need to.

Any questions, please shout.

e: also I'll try to keep it to an update per week. Which means a post a week from you people. Are any of you primarily phone-posters, or are we all squatting awkwardly in front of computers?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

game thread is up

AcidRonin posted:

Is this right? I am the worst I know I'm sorry.

EDIT: req gear marked with a star

this is fine except for the bits where i've lied to you, deliberately and with malice, to undermine your confidence

sorry about this - my bad, Interrogation is a WP skill that i forgot to mark, and Forbidden Lore (Heresy) is an Int skill that i forgot to mark

everything else is fine, but it'd be handy to have the hand flamer stats under your weapons. don't do a new post each time you change up your sheet, just edit one version of it - means you can link consistently to it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Narrative's a bit loose at the moment because, well, nothing's happened other than you've got a letter. Even though Bulworth's toting it around, one thing I'm firm on is that you have all seen it by the time you post. There is one letter for the whole team.

Leperflesh please bold your speech, too. Statblock is a bit too dense - all I'd really be interested in fron there is wounds, fate, and double team. The rest I can get from your charsheet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i shall do a brief post tomorrow along the lines of "stuff you find out about the Deculons" but it won't be a plot-moves-forward major update; WWN's gotten probated due to calling people retards in D&D, and we ain't seen the other two yet. it's good so far though!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Ha i saw that. "I'll tell you later if this is good!" JAILCAT.

Also, is what i just did Vis A Vie HEY I KNOW STUFF ABOUT THE DECULONS BECAUSE MY SHEET SAY SO legal? will it net us extra info? or do I need to edit that because I am bad.

yeah it's cool. you have Peer Nobility so you'll probably know something; you will, however, only automatically know stuff pertaining to, well, being a peer of the nobility. you won't know about their secret sausagemaking facility buried under a disused volcano, but you might know the rough family composition and what their public personas are like

by contrast, bulworth checking out the local news networks will dig up stuff like "they have extensive interests in skull manufacturing", and "they're part of the Council of Six Hundred and Eighty Seven who rule this corner of the planet". it's all different stuff from different approaches.

generally you will only ever automatically know generic stuff and narrative frameworks; actual specific, relevant information like "they're using the adept as an integral part of their gimp mask manufacturing supply chain and won't want to give her up, but we can blackmail them into releasing her by getting evidence of the daughter's dalliance with the rival Clipperton family" will be the result of investigations and skill tests

all of the above examples are, of course, deliberately absurd and not part of the plot of this game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Poor quality mercenaries who cannot hit anybody are a Scarce resource

anyway have some more info on the planet. no dice have so far been rolled

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you don't have a vehicle, no.

you can go get one though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well i mean this is a city. you can take gondolas, rickshaws, taxis, whatever, and i don't particularly want to spend much time on the acolytes roleplaying waiting for a bus

but yes, a vehicle will probably be of some use, especially if you don't want to rely on gondolas at night

bigger priority for you guys should be working out what information you need, figuring out how to go get it, and then going and getting it. everyone's useful in an investigation, it's not just going out and quizzing people - it's not out of the bounds of plausibility for you to, say, be able to use Security from your warehouse base to see e.g. what the local Enforcers have on the Deculons. plus, as a fairly obvious tech-priest you'll be the recipient of a great deal of inherent respect from people on a planet where everything's rusting, metal is a status symbol, and the technology is greatly overworked

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

acquisition of the flier is a Requisition test; Average (0) for the standard quality flier, Rare (-20) for the assorted paraphernalia to make it a Good quality one. it has no location modifier (urban centre and "technology starved agriworld" cancel each other out), it's +20 for a plausible and sensible acquisition plan, but if you go for the Good one the base availability is still negative so you take a subtlety hit of 2 (tens digit) on successful acquisition. making it more available with Master of Paperwork drops the hit down to 1, but means Eadian will be occupied with this rather than with chatting up nobles.

also where are you going to keep it? you can't exactly park it on the street or on the roof, and while you can keep it in the Munitorium hangars for them to just ignore because it's not on their records, they ain't going to refuel a flier that doesn't exist. you might need to do a bit of record-finessing to get it on maintenance logs but off logistical logs, if you don't have any other ideas.

in terms of finding out social events, Eadian can definitely find something even on a grotesque failure; it's just how good and appropriate an event he manages to find. to determine this would be an Inquiry test, involving going out and chatting to local nobility smallfry - +10 for it being stuff that's not hidden and that people actually want to talk about, +10 for Peer, for +20 in total.

however, he doesn't have Inquiry trained, so he's going at Fel - 20 before modifiers. total difficulty is therefore a straight Fel roll, which is kind of a tricky test. it would be much more achievable if he paired up with someone who is trained to Inquire properly, making the test their Fel + 10 (chatty crowd) + 10 (Peer) + 10 (assist) = Fel + 30 in all

anyway, probably do a small update tomorrow

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the arvus lighter is VTOL, but occupies about a 9m2 square. your landing pad will need to be at least double that size if you don't want a hair-raising death-defying terrifying experience each time you take off or land (difficult pilot tests)

arranging a "we'll fix up your planes yo" deal with the munitorum will be almost trivial, and will probably make it even easier to acquire your flier depending on how well you do. they have a large backlog and a lack of skilled help. however, you won't have space for a landing pad at your warehouse as things stand. it's just a warehouse with sea and road access. you could, of course, acquire a neighbouring warehouse and level it (the work of about half a week, although you could get it sped up if you let the building corps take away all the building material as a bonus), or just lease a nearby yard (a couple of days to get set up).

land is expensive though and you're operating on short timescales, so as things stand it's a -30 Very Rare test to level the neighbours, or a -20 Rare requisition to get a yard. this represents buying "off the shelf" - if you apply pressure either directly (threats, outright murder) or indirectly (deceit, hiring local gangs to drive them off) to local landowners, availability will skyrocket upwards, heading towards automatic if you have a good enough plan

alternatively, if you don't want to worry about subtlety or security or plausible cover, you could just take the roof off your current warehouse and precariously VTOL in and out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

as a reminder for inquiry tests, Eadian has:

quote:

Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.

so if you decide to go fly solo you can just spend fate to progress.

other stuff you might want to consider is as follows:

• if Aperta doesn't fancy going along to chat to the munitorum, there's always tech-use or security for more invasive investigations than Bulworth is currently doing. you may wish to figuratively go use Starbucks' wifi, though. alternatively, you can go out and hit the streets and do some gentle information gathering on subjects of your choice while, say, performing minor repairs - you're not trained, and you've not so much got a Fellowship score as you have autism, but searching for easy info gets a bonus, as does being a helpful tech-adept (especially on this planet)
  • if Bulworth doesn't fancy finding Cisneros' ex-colleagues, he could put the feelers out to the local criminal element (Common Lore: Underworld), go perform surveillance (Scrutiny, depending on how you do it - Stealth for shadowing, which is untrained), or go buy weapon mods and put them on his guns while giggling (Frontier world traits)
  • if Gamma doesn't fancy performing a raid on a fortified office block, she can tag along with anyone else and rely on Awareness or Scrutiny to spot complications, as well as just doing various psykery things; she might also know stuff about the Black Ships should anything actually crop up, but at present it's just, y'know. they're coming.
  • if Ignatius doesn't fancy going to talk to the munitorum about fliers, or going to schmooze nobles with Eadian, he can start making drugs, go requisition other stuff he thinks may be helpful, or pretty much go and do anything that involves talking to people.
  • if Eadian doesn't fancy stalking nobles, he can also go requisition stuff he thinks may be helpful, he can go team up with a Tech-User to find someone he might like to use his Comm Leech on, or he can go help with the munitorum chat with his Scholastic Lore: Bureaucracy and Common Lore: Administratum

loads of you have interrogation but none of you have anyone to interrogate yet. you can all of course also do other things - Logic some codephrases up so your cell can communicate secretly or something - but these are just suggestions to get you thinking

e: this may be obvious, but just to be sure, i should point out that acquiring a message database from the telepathica is pretty valuable to the right (shady) people; it'll probably translate into Influence bonuses

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well they're Plentiful, so +20. you could theoretically get the bits you want for +50 and then get Aperta to Trade: Armourer them on. inexplicably, taking kit off a gun is tech use instead. you can install something but not know how to take it off again.

i cannot even conceive of a silencer attachment (as opposed to a complete receiver rebuild) that isn't screw on/screw off (glue??), so assume that's the default, and that you don't need to do a +20 tech use test each time you want to take the things off. there's also no real narrative benefit to catching you out by going "ah-ha! you forgot to take your silencers off!" so just assume the modification has no subtlety penalty and it's on when you want it, off when it's not

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well you can get planes on your own, probably, but as detailed earlier i think you're gonna struggle on the longterm storage space and maintenance, as things currently stand

unless you have a good feeling about spending Aperta's afternoon rolling 10 or under on your req test, i guess

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I am envisioning our warehouse as basically the Planetary Express building from Futurama, now. We can VTOL our plane(s) right out the roof. Maybe if need be we can put like, an elevator that raises and lowers a landing pad, beneath a retracting roof? That'd be sweet.

perhaps a better way to envision it would be how it has already been vision'd

pad and retracting roof is technically albeit barely feasible as a long term construction vanity project that also flashes a large neon sign saying NON-STANDARD ACTIVITIES TAKING PLACE :siren: HERE :siren:

seaplane is much more a niche thing, even on a water planet. the whole Thing of the Imperium is using standard templates that don't quite work and contorting them to fit; another way of looking at it is that forge + hive worlds that supply fliers to the Imperium at large probably have to deal with like twenty, thirty planets, and how many of them need seaplanes? we're behind on the quotas already so there's no way we're turning manufactorums three and four over to production of seaplanes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

real easy, if you got access. like i say, it's literally just a case of taking your plane off the inventory log and keeping it on the maintenance log. it might be discovered if you anger the munitorum, but generally their records will be such a bureaucratic nightmare anyway that this sort of thing probably happens a lot accidentally. in terms of getting access, there's probably either an air gap or some serious security blocking you from their network, which you can infer from common lore: admech. if you're going to chat with the munitorum anyway then your best bet is probably access from within the building, rather than attempting to do it remotely.

mind you, the munitorum would only be happy to fork over a stream of broken planes and a functional one if you say you're going to fix 'em, and then they'll only be happy to keep with the arrangement if you actually deliver on this - this will likely eat into Aperta's downtime, and maybe Bulworth's as well if he pitches in. saying "can we have some planes so we can open a mid-range taxi service" will probably not go down well, and that may have to be a sideline.

you can, of course, acquire staff, but that comes with its own problems. it may also result in your inquisitor showing up in five weeks' time expecting a rendezvous with Adept Cisneros only to find that you've all completely ignored him and set yourself up as captains of industry instead.

deathsandwich is referring to a sort of floating pontoon that you position outside the warehouse (you back onto the bay), which the arvus can use perfectly fine. it would be an easier solution to the problem of space, but laughably poor when it comes to security. and also the neighbours would complain, possibly impacting subtlety.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i will probably aim for the next proper moving-stuff-forward update on feb 1st

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean you could get a boat as well. that's comparatively easy and you can just straight out go and buy one. fliers are pretty much restricted to places which have space for you to park, although if you fancy making a really awkward entrance you can fly in, rappel down, and then have the pilot fly off somewhere else to park and hotfoot it to catch up with the rest of the party

grabbing all this transportation may not strictly be necessary and actually kinda feels like a holdover from Dark Heresy 1.0 behaviour where you're some random mooks with no resources whatsoever who have to count every throne and haggle over taxi fares, but it certainly helps with your cover and having things you can crash into places is always handy.

anyway, as per

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

also where are you going to keep it? you can't exactly park it on the street or on the roof, and while you can keep it in the Munitorium hangars for them to just ignore because it's not on their records, they ain't going to refuel a flier that doesn't exist. you might need to do a bit of record-finessing to get it on maintenance logs but off logistical logs, if you don't have any other ideas.

the current plan of going and editing munitorum records basically means you get fuel, maintenance and a parking spot, but it'll be about half an hour away from your warehouse by foot, fifteen minutes by other transport. major building works are if you want to have the plane right up close; you'll still get fuel and maintenance, i'm assuming that there's harrassed and overworked engineers that go out and maintain fliers that are actually in use

operating an actual, working plane-fixing business will garner you Influence increases. i can't remember if i mentioned that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you know any eldar

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pick your drat vehicles. if you're trying to look wealthy to impress potential nobles for chatting up, you don't need to own a gilded chariot. you can rent one as a service as and when you need it, unless you're expecting the head of a major dynasty to swing by your warehouse and then for some reason be shocked that it looks a bit shabby

you have a strategic choice of versatility in usage versus immediate accessibility.

• if you get a car/boat, great - immediate access, probably parks everywhere on land/sea, but it can't fly or go into space. it is a case of using nutcrackers to crack a nut; it is designed for your immediate needs but it's a bit single-function

• if you get a flier, you may struggle to fit it into a tiny alley or do surreptitious surveillance in it, and you may need to put some legwork into having it immediately available instead of in a hangar nearby, but it's fast, it's got range, and it can go into space. this may be useful in terms of rendezvousing with a spaceship. it is a case of a sledgehammer to crack a nut; overkill, but a sledgehammer also has other uses.

• if you get all of them, it's more requisition checks that you could potentially fail, it'll take up time from your investigation, and it'll take up warehouse space. you currently appear to have both in abundance, although it will spread the party a bit more thinly if you're doing these all immediately. it is a case of grabbing your entire toolbox to crack a nut; guaranteed to have the right tool, but heavy and probably with a lot of redundancy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i had the flu the other week. would not recommend.

excuses for the lack of planes can be as flimsy and convoluted or as cursory as you desire. anything from "oh poo poo i recognise that particular plane, it was from a ship that later got lost to the orks, i can't fly that it must be cursed, better come up with a poo poo excuse for the rest of the guys to swallow" to "hmm, on second thoughts..."

no point in overthinking this sort of thing. you're not really engaged in devious politicking against a shadowy opponent, or a test of mental wills against a dangerous prisoner. you're considering transport options.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alright apes, are you waiting on anything from me before I move this along on monday

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the problem is getting the right amount of ominousness for 40k. like i can't use Mars for every post, and schazerade was pushing it pretty heavily

but i do like my classical composers like i like my women - eastern european, 19th century values, and fiercely nationalistic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can use any weapon but you can't swap 'em out on the fly.

i read the hilariously badly proof-read sentence

quote:

allowing the user to remotely operate a single weapon which is
attached user’s body.

and

quote:

This additional weapon must be connected to the user via the MIU
weapon interface,

as meaning the weapon needs some sort of modification to enable it to work with the MIU, which would at least mean taking the handle off. on the other hand, it doesn't say that the gun's fixed in place permanently.

assume you can pop weapons out and change them whenever you've got fifteen minutes' downtime, but not during combat. and maybe don't go partially disassembling guns in front of any people who will take it as tech-heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so yeah that's about two and a half thousand words

i hope you don't feel like you're having ideas shut down, incidentally - e.g. planes, robbing astra telepathica, etc.

you'll always be able to attempt stuff, and rewards will always be commensurate with effort. plus, the subtler you are, the more likely that your penalty for failure will be loss of subtlety, rather than, uh, death. it's just some stuff takes a bit more effort than a single skill roll, and will in itself act as a kind of "mission"

the only time you'll probably get nothing from skill tests is if you prove a negative - e.g. there was no real psychic trace on the message you got at the start, but you still got some info out of it that it was probably a seriously high-priority despatch, which does not square with "hey it's cool you got five weeks". however, if you go round probing every shopkeeper you talk to, you won't get much out of it.

i'm also giving you far more information than you realistically need, on the hope that you'll just sort of randomly latch on to stuff. suggestions for potential actions following what's transpired are just to get you thinking; don't ever feel obliged to do any of 'em, because i'm pretty much just getting you into situations and giving literally no thought on how you're going to get out of them or turn them to your advantage

also you can get on with attempting to manipulate each other for your own ends if you want that sweet sweet +50xp and +5 to your next test.

• Locked thread