Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

Chat about wasting rebel Resistance scum and discuss the new BT-16. Remember OPSEC: if you know where that Skywalker guy is, keep that poo poo hush-hush or you'll never get transferred off this loving rock.

e: To clarify, there are spoilers ahead. Stay alert, stay alive, Stormtrooper.

Not reading thread, watching tomorrow morning. Very excited. Stay frosty devil rancors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pesticide20 posted:

Does anybody know if any of the new books are with reading? Growing up I loved the Zahn books and can ashamedly say that I read way too much of the expanded universe. Just curious if there's anything good that's come out recently

Really really bad. Tried to make star wars realistic and gritty while pushing some really idiotic background characters

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
From the other thread:

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I honestly don't know what in the gently caress some of you people are smoking after reading this poo poo. The movie was pretty much exactly what it not only should have been, but the only real thing it could have been. After so much time between movies, and especially keeping in mind 1-3, the best possible thing to do was create a blend of the familiar with the stark echoes of Episode 4 and contrast that with something new. You reestablish the series for old fans, introduce it to new fans, and lay the foundation for continuing on in new directions while still remaining faithful to the soul of what Star Wars is.

/tviv

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also Kylo's lightsaber makes perfect sense now as a whiny kid that just wants to be different without being practical

(In case you didn't know the actor was an infantry Marine that joined post-911 but got hurt in training and medically discharged. Now he's in mother loving Star Wars and donates a lot to vet organizations and doesn't go around going on about BACK WHEN I WAS IN THE MARINES etc)

Cool dude imo

He was on STern recently, decent interview but the guy came off like he really didn't like anything about the movie or franchise, but was super in to talking about weird sex scenes with lena Dunham. He accidentally got a condom stuck in her rear end once

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

He was on STern recently, decent interview but the guy came off like he really didn't like anything about the movie or franchise, but was super in to talking about weird sex scenes with lena Dunham. He accidentally got a condom stuck in her rear end once

Wait he actually did Lena Dunham

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Wait he actually did Lena Dunham

Dark side? More like pork side.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Also calling it right now, Snoke is going to be some midget motherfucker compensating with that 20ft tall hologram.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Also calling it right now, Snoke is going to be some midget motherfucker compensating with that 20ft tall hologram.

Space 4channers playing a prank on some Imperial Supremacists and having it go too far

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQPu-5C-WY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Analogical posted:

Another cameo: Simon Pegg was the alien trader Rey sold poo poo to.

Even knowing this ahead of time, I couldn't tell. Didn't recognize Craig either, but I didn't know about him.

Whoever said it earlier was right: that movie hit all the right marks. And it didn't have a bunch of awkward shakey-cam and lens flares, either.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Movie was loving great. It was fun and I was smiling all the way through. Though I did click on an unmarked link in another thread that ruined Kylo is Han's son and then he kills him. So that was pretty poo poo!

So what's the deal with the Rebellion? They mentioned the current government running the show is the Republic, so is Leia basically the leader of a state sanctioned militia?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Godholio posted:

Whoever said it earlier was right: that movie hit all the right marks. And it didn't have a bunch of awkward shakey-cam and lens flares, either.

I hear VIII is going to be found-footage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dude McAwesome posted:

So what's the deal with the Rebellion? They mentioned the current government running the show is the Republic, so is Leia basically the leader of a state sanctioned militia?

Yeah I didn't really get this. Everything just kind of disseminated after ep. 6?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dude McAwesome posted:

Movie was loving great. It was fun and I was smiling all the way through. Though I did click on an unmarked link in another thread that ruined Kylo is Han's son and then he kills him. So that was pretty poo poo!

It seems like the new Republic is still building up. It doesn't span all the territory of the previous Republic or the Empire. The First Order seems to have it's own territory, carved from the Empire. I took it that the Resistance was basically the new rebellion in the Order's territory, with support from the Republic.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
^^^ this, also

That part seems to have been glossed over in the new movie. Connecting some dots between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens:

Post-Return of the Jedi: The Rebellion, after killing the Emperor and blowing up Death Star 2.0, set up a new government, the New Republic. Blowing up Death Star 2.0 obviously didn't wipe out the entirely of the old Empire, so the dudes left reorganized and wound up becoming the First Order, the fancy new enemy for the New Republic. The New Republic needs somebody to fight these space baddies, so Leia gets put in charge of the effort to combat the First Order, called the Resistance. Why they're called the "Resistance" when they could have just been like, I don't know, the Republic Fleet or something sensible, I don't know.

During The Force Awakens: The capital of the New Republic, the planet Hosnian Prime in this new movie, gets smoked by Death Star 3.0. Thus, the New Republic was essentially created and destroyed without any real screen time.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Movie was rad. Gonna go pour one out on the curb for my road dog Han Solo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Naked Bear posted:

^^^ this, also

That part seems to have been glossed over in the new movie. Connecting some dots between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens:

Post-Return of the Jedi: The Rebellion, after killing the Emperor and blowing up Death Star 2.0, set up a new government, the New Republic. Blowing up Death Star 2.0 obviously didn't wipe out the entirely of the old Empire, so the dudes left reorganized and wound up becoming the First Order, the fancy new enemy for the New Republic. The New Republic needs somebody to fight these space baddies, so Leia gets put in charge of the effort to combat the First Order, called the Resistance. Why they're called the "Resistance" when they could have just been like, I don't know, the Republic Fleet or something sensible, I don't know.

During The Force Awakens: The capital of the New Republic, the planet Hosnian Prime in this new movie, gets smoked by Death Star 3.0. Thus, the New Republic was essentially created and destroyed without any real screen time.

My best guess is the Empire and Republic both exist separate of the First Order/Resistance. There's a Cold War going on between the two and the Resistance and First Order are their versions of Mujaheddin keepin the spirit of fuckin each other up alive

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/12/18/star-wars-if-it-were-directed-by-ken-burns/

Watch at least for the Senator Jar Jar Binks quote. Stone cold delivery for a geek professor.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Echoing earlier sentiments. Hit all the right notes, some dumb plot stuff. Get a nice big bag of popcorn and enjoy.

I loving hate how much I'm going to be looking forward to Ep 8 now. I love how they are handling Rey's development.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Just rewatched the movie with a friend. I take back all earlier complaints about Finn, dude is fun, his character is fun and his getting bb8 to be his wing man were great. Shame Han died, he has great chemistry with the younger cast

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Finn's characters and actor is pretty great besides the forced Disney one liners

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah Finn was awesome. I just about died when BB8 returned his thumbs up during the scene in the Falcon.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I just about died when BB8 returned his thumbs up during the scene in the Falcon.

That thumbs up was my everything.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That whole exchange between the two of them was rad tbqh.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I kind of agree with N4D before saying there are some bits felt a bit rushed, but I liked it enough that I can't decide whether or not to wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray or go see it again in the theater to catch everything.

Also: Saturday Morning ticket was 6.75. gently caress and yes.

e2: I would like a personalized BB-8. TIA.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 20, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah Finn was awesome. I just about died when BB8 returned his thumbs up during the scene in the Falcon.

Really glad I'm going back next weekend, and doubly so now that you've reminded me of that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I saw it in 3D which was a terrible idea, never again. It's all they had left but now I won't even bother if that's the only option.

Definitely gonna see it again when it's not midnight, busy, etc. I'll take solace knowing 7 is gonna be good and 8 is gonna probably be the best of all Star Wars movies when Rey's running around super Jedi wrecking poo poo

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I saw it in 3D which was a terrible idea, never again. It's all they had left but now I won't even bother if that's the only option.

Definitely gonna see it again when it's not midnight, busy, etc. I'll take solace knowing 7 is gonna be good and 8 is gonna probably be the best of all Star Wars movies when Rey's running around super Jedi wrecking poo poo

Mid-January Monday After Work sounds like a winner here.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The setup for Poe, BB and Finn being rebel bros is pretty great, too. As was the camera work of Rey coming to and meeting Luke. Really it's probably JJ's best work as a director because the only shot i disliked enough to say "What's going on" was when Kylo's ship was landing at the pirate bar after the strafing runs by the fighters, something about it seemed way off perspective wise

Edit: Also I lol'd as Jon Faverau was shown to be Porkins 2.0

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 20, 2015

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Edit: Also I lol'd as Jon Faverau was shown to be Porkins 2.0

I thought that was the telepath dude from the original Heroes?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I thought that was the telepath dude from the original Heroes?

poo poo, you're right. Man, they really look alike

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

It seems like the new Republic is still building up. It doesn't span all the territory of the previous Republic or the Empire. The First Order seems to have it's own territory, carved from the Empire. I took it that the Resistance was basically the new rebellion in the Order's territory, with support from the Republic.

That makes sense if they're an insurgency behind Imperial lines, I guess?

Naked Bear posted:

Wait, what? So those weren't just random planets that they blew up? If so, that's lol as gently caress. "oh hay guys our capital just blew up but we're not even gonna mention it."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Wait, what? So those weren't just random planets that they blew up? If so, that's lol as gently caress. "oh hay guys our capital just blew up but we're not even gonna mention it."

I suspect they're saving a lot of the details of the Republic for books/comics/games.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I suspect they're saving a lot of the details of the Republic for books/comics/games.

Good call. Disney is gonna make so much money from this brand.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pretty much. Star Wars is a cash cow, even when you try to gently caress it up like Lucas.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm really hoping for a KOTOResque game set right after the Battle of Endor that deals with the collapse of the Empire and the formation of the new Republic. :pray:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Movie was great. Can't wait for the next one. It feels good to like Star Wars again.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Poe Dameron was baller as gently caress.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Poe Dameron was baller as gently caress.

I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something fishy about that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

ManMythLegend posted:

I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something fishy about that guy.

Like his magical survival and escape from Jakku that is quickly given a one-line throw away.

• Locked thread