Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about the movie by far was that I could actually follow what was happening on screen, unlike the prequels where the action scenes were filled with distracting nonsense and the light saber fights were flippy bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Analogical posted:

Like his magical survival and escape from Jakku that is quickly given a one-line throw away.

That was most of it, plus his ability to fly and fight a TIE instantly. Though if he was some sort of First Order double agent it would be really dumb for him to destroy their superweapon and most of their military just to keep his cover.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about the movie by far was that I could actually follow what was happening on screen, unlike the prequels where the action scenes were filled with distracting nonsense and the light saber fights were flippy bullshit.

Come on, the choreography in the prequels was amazing

:v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually, my favorite thing was the fact that there were only two light sabers in the whole movie - the good guy's and the bad guy's. It's consistent with the idea that jedi are extremely rare and mystical, not like the prequels where they were loving everywhere.

Basically what I'm saying is that this movie did nearly everything right that the prequels did wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Said it in the other thread but Poe was by far my least favorite charachter. Everyone else was pretty great.

Rogue Squadron is gonna be dope

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the only thing I really didn't like, other than the big bad guy having a really dumb name*, was Rey started using the Force way too quickly. The mind trick scene was good, but I think beyond that was a little too much too soon. It didn't feel earned.

*Still not as bad as "Dooku".

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah that was a bitch much. Like she hasn't even wielded a lightsaber before. People are all "yeah but she was kicking rear end on Jakku" but
w/e

I just dismiss all that poo poo as "the force." Plus someone is supposed to come and restore balance to the force so the prophecy goes blah blah so she's gonna be super Jedi probably

What did you guys think of Kylo's voice work? I can't say I particularly liked it but they did pretty good I guess all things considered without copying Vader

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah that was a bitch much. Like she hasn't even wielded a lightsaber before. People are all "yeah but she was kicking rear end on Jakku" but
w/e

I just dismiss all that poo poo as "the force." Plus someone is supposed to come and restore balance to the force so the prophecy goes blah blah so she's gonna be super Jedi probably

What did you guys think of Kylo's voice work? I can't say I particularly liked it but they did pretty good I guess all things considered without copying Vader

I think they did enough "Hey so Rey is really good with lots of things without a lot of effort" exposition that her utilization of the force as a tool on the fly is actually not that far off. She walks into the Falcon and starts pulling poo poo apart almost immediately, has a background as a scavenger, and just her overall technical aptitude basically gave the feeling that as she was exploring the force she was discovering new things like a dude opening a brand new swiss-army knife for the first time.

And also I think Kylo's voice inside the mask and outside the mask were close enough that it didn't have that Christian Bale/angry Batman thing going on and that was kind of cool. Just more menacing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I enjoyed the return to roots feeling everything had, especially the actual real life sets instead of filming the entire movie in a giant green screen sound stage.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Come on, the choreography in the prequels was amazing

:v:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

w/e

Shes probably been in a few fights on Jakku being a scavanger and all, and unknowingly used the force via reaction time the same way Anakin did with pod racing in ep 1.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

used the force

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

Also I forgot about everybody being able to see the super lasers flying across the sky from light years away, that was kind of dumb and I think it's an Abrams thing because he did it in Star Trek as well.

e: I'm also willing to forgive it in this movie because Star Wars isn't about the science. It's a fantasy movie in space.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 20, 2015

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I wish they toned down some of the cgi, like with the gollum hologram guy and the old bar woman. Seemed out of place

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ace of Baes posted:

Shes probably been in a few fights on Jakku being a scavanger and all, and unknowingly used the force via reaction time the same way Anakin did with pod racing in ep 1.

I thought the ability to see the near future was a Jedi thing. Like why they almost never die and are good at everything

In ep 1 something like "he has the ability to see into the future, it's a Jedi trait"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fister Roboto posted:

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

Ford delivered that line so loving well, full on grumpy old man mode. He was fantastic.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MA-Horus posted:

Ford delivered that line so loving well, full on grumpy old man mode. He was fantastic.

Every Ford interaction with the younger cast was perfect. His chemistry with the kids was amazing and the biggest reason I was bummed to see him die

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Every Ford interaction with the younger cast was perfect. His chemistry with the kids was amazing and the biggest reason I was bummed to see him die

"Well, maybe Luke caught him or something!"

*planet explodes*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Only thing that bothered me was the complete rehash of "oh no a giant super weapon which destroys whole planets :ohdear:"

E which could have been avoided somewhat by deleting "remember the Death Star? Well this one is even BIGGER!"

beanieson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 21, 2015

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The only thing that even slightly- emphasis on SLIGHTLY bugged me- was Han being super impressed by Chewie's bowcaster. They've been an unstoppable duo loving poo poo up across the galaxy for decades, and it took Han that long to try it out? They really never went plinking on some asteroid somewhere?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Edgar posted:

I wish they toned down some of the cgi, like with the gollum hologram guy and the old bar woman. Seemed out of place

Yeah, ditto. All of the CGI characters that got any screen time looked like they had dropped in from Monsters, Inc. With the big evil guy especially, I didn't see the point. He was just a scarred humanoid, and Lord of the Rings did that kind of thing much more convincingly with just makeup and prosthetics:

Muppet Yoda was more expressive than the barkeeper.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

at the date posted:

Yeah, ditto. All of the CGI characters that got any screen time looked like they had dropped in from Monsters, Inc. With the big evil guy especially, I didn't see the point. He was just a scarred humanoid, and Lord of the Rings did that kind of thing much more convincingly with just makeup:

That guy didn't bother me as much since he was an actual hologram

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

suboptimal posted:

The only thing that even slightly- emphasis on SLIGHTLY bugged me- was Han being super impressed by Chewie's bowcaster. They've been an unstoppable duo loving poo poo up across the galaxy for decades, and it took Han that long to try it out? They really never went plinking on some asteroid somewhere?

The whole thing about that is it's a joke about that fact that Chewie never once shoots the fun he carried through all three movies

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Booblord Zagats posted:

The whole thing about that is it's a joke about that fact that Chewie never once shoots the fun he carried through all three movies

Really? That's awesome.

I don't recall him shooting it in this one. Did he continue his streak of not using it?

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

only remember this because it was just posted in the pyf gif thread

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

foozwak posted:

only remember this because it was just posted in the pyf gif thread

Ya, and I'm pretty sure chewy lights up a few storm troopers with it whilst escaping cloud city.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Ya, and I'm pretty sure chewy lights up a few storm troopers with it whilst escaping cloud city.

gently caress, proves I only watched Jedi for the death star scenes

E: in empire he never shoots his bowcaster, just a storm trooper rifle

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Only thing that bothered me was the complete rehash of "oh no a giant super weapon which destroys whole planets :ohdear:"

E which could have been avoided somewhat by deleting "remember the Death Star? Well this one is even BIGGER!"

I felt the same about it, but at that scale of galactic warfare that's the equivalent of getting your hands on nuclear weapons which is the usual goal of most militaries.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I liked when the Stormtroopers round the corner while Kylo is freaking the gently caress out in the interrogation room and just look at each other and walk away not wanting to deal with that poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

I liked when the Stormtroopers round the corner while Kylo is freaking the gently caress out in the interrogation room and just look at each other and walk away not wanting to deal with that poo poo.

I liked the jedi mind trick scene, because the storm trooper's delivery sounded less like the trick worked and more like he was just done with this poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

I liked the jedi mind trick scene, because the storm trooper's delivery sounded less like the trick worked and more like he was just done with this poo poo.

Daniel Craig is known for his subtle delivery

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Finally saw it. It ruled. I was really bummed I saw a spoiler about Solo, it really took a lot of the punch out of the scene.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Daniel Craig is known for his subtle delivery

No loving way.

holy poo poo it's true

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Booblord Zagats posted:

E: in empire he never shoots his bowcaster, just a storm trooper rifle

Um, he totally pickles a few shots off at some mynoks when they're in the asteroid worm monster.
:goonsay:

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Yeah I had Solo spoiled for me.

IDK, I felt disappointed by the movie. Maybe I had it too hyped up in my head, but I felt like it was missing a lot or something. I definitely felt like the entire movie was to set up the next one. None of the other episodes left us on a cliffhanger, granted that in of itself wasn't awful.

I found Poe and Finn's dialogue painfully cheesy too idk. Also ditto'ing the gripes about Rey learning skills too fast. Luke was very accomplished too and yet it took him a whole episode to be able to force pull a lightsaber to him and even then could barely do it.

It's also unfortunate that really Han HAD to be the one to die. He's the best actor in the movie by far and well RIP.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

No loving way.

holy poo poo it's true

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/19/how-to-spot-all-the-star-wars-the-force-awakens-cameos-from-daniel-craig-to-radiohead.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

USMC503 posted:

Yeah I had Solo spoiled for me.

IDK, I felt disappointed by the movie. Maybe I had it too hyped up in my head, but I felt like it was missing a lot or something. I definitely felt like the entire movie was to set up the next one. None of the other episodes left us on a cliffhanger, granted that in of itself wasn't awful.

Vader went spinning off into space at the end of 4, and Empire had kind of an ominous ending like this one.

I think the difference between Luke and Rey is that Luke was trying to figure everything out as he went and gain some measure of control. Rey seems to be just rolling with the poo poo as it comes, which to me seems like the way it's "supposed" to work. Do or do not there is no try, feel it flow through you, etc.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 21, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'll just throw caution to the wind that the next two will be much much better and this just sort of had to kickstart the new ones. Episode 8 will be the best of all Star Wars movies IMO. I mean poo poo after 30 years

And no doubt we'll see snow speeders again so Hoth 2.0

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I liked the new RLM review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsiJppCdmk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol hell yeah that dude owns

• Locked thread