Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Movie was great. Can't wait for the next one. It feels good to like Star Wars again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about the movie by far was that I could actually follow what was happening on screen, unlike the prequels where the action scenes were filled with distracting nonsense and the light saber fights were flippy bullshit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually, my favorite thing was the fact that there were only two light sabers in the whole movie - the good guy's and the bad guy's. It's consistent with the idea that jedi are extremely rare and mystical, not like the prequels where they were loving everywhere.

Basically what I'm saying is that this movie did nearly everything right that the prequels did wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the only thing I really didn't like, other than the big bad guy having a really dumb name*, was Rey started using the Force way too quickly. The mind trick scene was good, but I think beyond that was a little too much too soon. It didn't feel earned.

*Still not as bad as "Dooku".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

used the force

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

Also I forgot about everybody being able to see the super lasers flying across the sky from light years away, that was kind of dumb and I think it's an Abrams thing because he did it in Star Trek as well.

e: I'm also willing to forgive it in this movie because Star Wars isn't about the science. It's a fantasy movie in space.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 20, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

I liked when the Stormtroopers round the corner while Kylo is freaking the gently caress out in the interrogation room and just look at each other and walk away not wanting to deal with that poo poo.

I liked the jedi mind trick scene, because the storm trooper's delivery sounded less like the trick worked and more like he was just done with this poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Daniel Craig is known for his subtle delivery

No loving way.

holy poo poo it's true

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So does this make Simon Pegg the first person to be in both Star Trek and Star Wars?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I like that a guy made famous by slamming the poo poo out of the prequels is legit delighted and excited by TFA. I think that really sums it up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another little thing I liked: the bad guy's name is Kylo Ren, not Darth Ren or Darth Kylo. As dumb as the name is, the big bad guy's name is just Snoke, not Darth Snoke. One little thing I hated about the prequels and the EU was that Darth became a title rather than just part of Darth Vader's name. The fact that the bad guy, despite being a massive Vader fanboy, doesn't call himself Darth, tells me that that's not a thing for this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's basically what I pieced together in my head. It makes sense. Civil wars don't usually have nice, clean endings.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If anyone was wondering about Porkins 2.0:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

How he died and by whose hand was a bigger spoiler and no one spoiled that for me so I was happy.

Agreed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Luke never had a dad in his life. Anakin didn't either. It's a vicious cycle.

That's another stupid part of the prequels that I hope never ever gets mentioned again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

USMC503 posted:

A friend of mine pointed out Rey is unlikely to be Luke's kid for a few reason. One being sex for fun is forbidden by the Jedi code, as is falling in love. If Luke fell in love, Obiwan and Yoda failed him loving HARDCORE considering how poo poo went down with Anakin/Darth Vader.

On the other hand, the "no sex no love no family" thing is entirely an invention of the prequels, and is also dumb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's apparently a segment in the new Star Wars video game where kylo tells Rey before a fight "come at me cousin"

It's only a matter of time until we see a million Arrested Development mashups.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

My complaint is the back of a kids
toy is needed to make sense of the plot

The plot makes perfect sense to me? You're talking about background details that nobody except wookieepedia editors actually cares about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NTT posted:

If this means I finally get some movies of Anakin/Obi Wan just being Cool Dudes going on Jedi missions, then sign me pu

It will be about him turning into a crazy old hermit in the desert.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is canon.

• Locked thread