Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
From the other thread:

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I honestly don't know what in the gently caress some of you people are smoking after reading this poo poo. The movie was pretty much exactly what it not only should have been, but the only real thing it could have been. After so much time between movies, and especially keeping in mind 1-3, the best possible thing to do was create a blend of the familiar with the stark echoes of Episode 4 and contrast that with something new. You reestablish the series for old fans, introduce it to new fans, and lay the foundation for continuing on in new directions while still remaining faithful to the soul of what Star Wars is.

/tviv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Also calling it right now, Snoke is going to be some midget motherfucker compensating with that 20ft tall hologram.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Edit: Also I lol'd as Jon Faverau was shown to be Porkins 2.0

I thought that was the telepath dude from the original Heroes?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

:perfect:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

Did anyone else think she kind of read his mind after he offers to teach her? And that's how she suddenly stopped being poo poo with a light saber?

Well yeah, at least to a certain extent. Something along the lines of an ocean (the first Jedi temple world, etc) blah blah something something. I think somebody mentioned it earlier, it's almost just as likely that Rey just rolls with the poo poo a hell of a lot better than Luke's, "Wait, what the gently caress? There's no loving way... You want me to do what now?" obstinate heel-dragging. Odds are really really good that she's the current end product of the most powerful force users ever, and in all likelihood has been subconsciously utilizing the Force while living on Jakku like her (probably) daddy and grand-daddy did when they were growing up. Natural genetic predisposition for sensitivity/strength, subconsciously used to using the Force as an extension of her abilities, and a combination of not having the time to question poo poo given circumstances with probably a natural roll with the punches attitude.

She did about as well as you could expect given all of that while still being completely untrained versus someone (Kylo) who seems to have been trained (incompletely) by two completely different traditions (Luke and Snoke) plus dude had just got shot by a loving bowcaster.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

That slow pan across her carefully hoarded artifacts of the rebellion in her lovely apartment AT-AT before she goes outside to put on the slighty-too-large fighter pilot helmet amid the remnants of a war gone by was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I think it tells you everything you need about who she is.

The more I think about it, the more her being an insert for those kids makes sense. Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter seem like obvious comparisons, but she isn't sick of her small farm town or being literally abused by evil step-parents; her life is stable, if hand-to-mouth. The closest analog I can think of is Charlie Bucket. After she does the Rejecting the Call hero's journey bit, she gets kidnapped, and right when all the kids in the audience think, "well I wouldn't wait around to be rescued," Rey goes, "oh right, I'm a space wizard now" and mind controls a guard to escape.

:staredog: Holy poo poo, you're right.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Daisy Ridley is pretty hot.

While this is entirely true, go watch any of the press interviews she's done and then tell me you aren't slightly frightened of her teeth.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

That was actually one of my favorite parts of the movie, just the expression on his face.

Edit: A few days ago I heard that in that scene, he's standing at a gravesite. I didn't notice if that's true, so if anyone goes to see it again, look for a headstone or something.

Well, looks like I've got an excuse to go see it for a third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

I have fun in Korea, but it peaks at about five days. After that I just want to get the gently caress out. The countryside is beautiful though.

So like pretty much when you start getting the shakes after you wake up, before your first nooner beer.

• Locked thread