Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
So here I am, posting from my Mac IIci. Quite a process to do so.

Specs:
Motorola 68030@25 MHz, bypassed and running a Sonnet card with an 040 at 40 MHz..
(stupidly, the use the PDS slot disables the onboard 68882 FPU, so I want to replace the
LC040@40 with a real 040@40 so I can run A/UX, which is way better than Mac OS (7.5.5 right now).

20.5 MB RAM (odd mix of 'Goldstar', 'Samsung', and what I call "Tri-Wing" (it has that sort of logo)

Asante 10MBps Ethernet card, connected to my WiFi network via crossover to my PC and a network bridge

800 MB-ish SCSI1 hard disk

External CDROM

Pictures!

New goals are ...
- Playing OGGs and MP3s
- Playing MP4 videos
- Emulating the most powerful console I can and seeing if I can make it work with my Gravis ADB gamepad and joystick
- Seeing if there's still an Avara server up
- Trying out some of my old programs I wrote in high school

Live long and process. :v:

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

create a web rendering proxy that *renders pages as images + create an associative image map so you can browse the modern web properly

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 19, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

welcome to the pos, friend!

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

ideologically correct posting

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

did yearbook production on a iici, they own

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
install BeOS.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Lol @ any 90s Mac, just lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Your os? Guess what buddy :twisted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
NICE !!

get yourself 128 MB, your IIci will take forever to cold boot due to the RAM check but you'll be livin large

I have a Display Card 8•24 GC in my IIci, for maximal graphics performance

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
posting in a good thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

maniacdevnull posted:

I miss my ibook

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
also icab :razz: :iiaca:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
which accelerator are you running? I've got a quadra 700 with some kinda crazy rear end 040/DSP combo card to accelerate photoshop. when I was testing it I gave myself a blister because I accidentally touched the card's heatsink while it was running a bezier lines screensaver

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

craisins posted:

install BeOS.

BeOS is for PowerPC

nice Mac OP

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

atomicthumbs posted:

which accelerator are you running? I've got a quadra 700 with some kinda crazy rear end 040/DSP combo card to accelerate photoshop. when I was testing it I gave myself a blister because I accidentally touched the card's heatsink while it was running a bezier lines screensaver

Mine is a Sonnet "Presto" 040, with the 68LC040 soldered down. I wanna swap it for a 'real' 68040 with the FPU and overclock it, I fig. I can get close to 50 MHz. I took a 40 MHz '040 to 48 MHz before and it was totally stable-- I just had to make sure it got good airflow to the sink.
Re: your card -- Yikes; I've never heard of that sort of card. Some kind of combo PDS/NuBus device? Definitely news to me. But I was thinking I want to get a NuBus video card that has a lot more VRAM and QuickDraw acceleration as it'll speed the machine up and let me do, probably, 1024x768 at 16bpp or higher.

Random performance numbers as reported by a benchmarking tool I had lying around. Not sure what scale it uses, but I think '100' is some sort of Quadra?

Base IIci:
CPU: 29.6, Video: 35.1, FPU: 16.9.

IIci with Presto LC040 card:
CPU: 113, Video: 93.4, FPU: 3.6.

You can see why I want to get my FPU on. But the performance boost is ridiculous!

~Coxy posted:

nice Mac OP
Thanks!

eschaton posted:

get yourself 128 MB
Oh I can't wait to up the RAM :D The ~21MB is so roomy though so far, compared to the 8 MB I got it with originally! Using the SA forums from it was actually not possible til I did that. Seems the only two browsers compatible are late versions of IE (68k compatible) and iCab. Lynx, MacWeb, Netscape, etc. all choke on a muffin and die

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Your os? Guess what buddy :twisted:

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

akadajet posted:

welcome to the pos, friend!

Thank you very much. :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
smythe would u rather be using windows 3.1, the premiere dos shell? bc that is your other option here

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
can i run ultima underworld on it? no? then what's the point?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Did you have to replace any capacitors or does this thing miraculously still work on its own?

Almost all the macs from the 80s and 90s have rotten caps that cause them to fail over time :(

I wish i still had my Performa 630, the slowest mac I own right now is a Powermac 5500

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

error1 posted:

Did you have to replace any capacitors or does this thing miraculously still work on its own?

Almost all the macs from the 80s and 90s have rotten caps that cause them to fail over time :(

I wish i still had my Performa 630, the slowest mac I own right now is a Powermac 5500

24 years and ticking, apparently. At least I know what to do if it exhibits symptoms!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

General Tofu posted:

New goals are ...
- Playing OGGs and MP3s
- Playing MP4 videos
- Emulating the most powerful console I can and seeing if I can make it work with my Gravis ADB gamepad and joystick
- Seeing if there's still an Avara server up
- Trying out some of my old programs I wrote in high school

Live long and process. :v:

you might have barely enough grunt to do the compressed sound files

maybe an mp4 video that was super low-res?

don't forget to hit up IRC from that thing!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:five:

i have to make my olivetti 486 work again and install windows for workgroups on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the Amiga people (of course) have implemented an MP3 engine for 68K, MpegDec uses it and should play an MP3 on your IIci with low quality

for IRC you could download an older version of Snak, that should run nicely on your IIci

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Got IRC rolling. Does YOSPOS have its own channel? If so, where? I'll hop in there for a while.

As for emulation-- GB is pretty darn good. NES emulation is a no-go-- I'll post a video explaining why later.
I want to see how Game Gear or SMS emulation goes- if a 68k emulator exists. These programs are tricky to find!

Here's the GB emulation experience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XcV-irpNg
Sorry for lack of tripod.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

General Tofu posted:

Got IRC rolling. Does YOSPOS have its own channel? If so, where? I'll hop in there for a while.

As for emulation-- GB is pretty darn good. NES emulation is a no-go-- I'll post a video explaining why later.
I want to see how Game Gear or SMS emulation goes- if a 68k emulator exists. These programs are tricky to find!

Here's the GB emulation experience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XcV-irpNg
Sorry for lack of tripod.

:awesome:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a/ux supremacy

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

I honestly never tried emulating anything on a 68k Mac beyond Apple II stuff. There's a program called simply "][e" that works pretty good and (I think?) gets full framerate on an 040-25. By the time NES emulation got decent I was on PPC.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

General Tofu posted:

#yospos on synirc

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Multitasking stress test! This was fun! Pardon the useless messages in the IRC channel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZnWk27akc

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
which dope games r u gonna play on this beast, op

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I was thinking of starting my own Avara server, getting my Wolf3D and Doom on, listening to Mike Dawson's awful voice acting in Dark Seed ... Oregon Trail and Word Munchers are always fun, and it looks like now I've got the whole GB library to play with. Sweet. I did try Game Gear/SMS but it's a little sluggish. I wanna see how it does at 50 MHz, with an FPU, and with a discrete video card.

Given how tricky this stuff is to get to work, I'll quote a 1980s platitude:
"The fun is in the challenge (simon). Take the simon challenge (simon.)"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

General Tofu posted:

Multitasking stress test! This was fun! Pardon the useless messages in the IRC channel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZnWk27akc

sweet vid, but it's yospos not yaspas.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
why is nes emulation a no go op?

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why is nes emulation a no go op?

The main issues:
- It runs at a very low speed, below playable framerates (so far, I wanna try it with a true 040 at a higher clock, with Quickdraw acceleration). I did get it playable but you have to run it at about half-speed or deal with choppy visuals. I bet further upgrades will make this a lot better.
- The sound is completely batshit insanity (see the following video-- that THING you hear? Is the Duck Tales theme song. On some planet, anyway ..
- The controls can't be changed (I'll work on this, I bet I can un-F the controls) and are absolutely bizarre. You'll notice in the video I have to put my hands in this bizarre and incredibly unnatural position to play.

See this video-- it's a reaction video of me trying out Duck Tales in the MacFCEU emulator for the first time, using a Gravis gamepad. You can hear what I mean about the audio. Please don't comment on the rash on my right arm. It's an allergic reaction that comes and goes, and I can't really do anything about it. Sorry.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCJC0rPGJY
(I recommend turning on the CC if you have trouble hearing me. I wrote in captions.)

In the future, I want to pipe the Mac video/audio to my PC via a capture device and have a picture-in-picture and a reaction shot all in one. That seems to be what all the cool kids do. :)

akadajet posted:

sweet vid, but it's yospos not yaspas.

Thanks! Yoss-poss? Yose-pose? I didn't notice it originally but yeah, it does sound like I was saying 'a', not 'o'.

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 21, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Here's an upgrade for ya: buy a pc :xd:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Dolomite posted: