Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
snipeeeddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
also : I still have an Asante PPC upgrade card here somewhere... 100% untouched, new in the original box and shrinkwrap :stare:

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

buttcrackmenace posted:

also : I still have an Asante PPC upgrade card here somewhere... 100% untouched, new in the original box and shrinkwrap :stare:

I didn't know Asante made one. That'd be cool to test out if you don't want too much for it. :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
this is a good thread

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

General Tofu posted:

Thanks! Yoss-poss? Yose-pose? I didn't notice it originally but yeah, it does sound like I was saying 'a', not 'o'.

it's pronounced "yospos"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
LC II is OK but its no LC III, the Mac mini of its day

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I had a 68881 math coprocessor board on my IIci that helped Excel finish matrix calculations in less than a tenth of the time it normally took.

It also helped any program that used SANE (Standard Apple Numerics Environment) of which there were a few

Remember accidentally brushing against the programmer's NMI or the reset button a lot then duct taping cardboard over it so it wouldn't reset unless I really wanted to

one time fixed a crashing IIsi by just switching the ADB keyboard, guy didn't want to admit he spilled coffee in it which was causing it to transmit spurious keyboard entries

IIci is gathering dust somewhere in a storage unit but still worked AFAIK

Also had the 8-bit Radius PrecisionColor 8-24X, and a SuperMac 17" CRT which was all the style for playing A-10 Cuba in the day, its fun to drop a nuke while sitting on the tarmac and see how far the cockpit gets thrown

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2015

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This thread is making me search for old powermacs on ebay and cl, dammit OP I didn't need this right now

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it's pronounced "yospos"

rhymes with hospice

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

error1 posted:

This thread is making me search for old powermacs on ebay and cl, dammit OP I didn't need this right now
Still have my Digital Audio G4 533 MHz with a Sonnet 1 GHz G4 board, the last thing I did with it was add an IDE SSD from Transcend onto it via an Acard SATA interface. Still have the original spheroid speakers but the rubber on them seems to have rotted off. Sheepsaver on my rMBP still blows it away in terms of raw speed though.

Also in storage, a UMAX C500e, ran Windows 95 under VirtualPC pretty good for an older machine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
if i had the choice between a g4 with a 1.8 ghz sonnet upgrade, and a 1.something ghz dual G4 (whichever was the fastest one), which should i choose

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

theultimo posted:

who is a cute little pizza box
you're a cute little pizza box
oh yesh

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

if i had the choice between a g4 with a 1.8 ghz sonnet upgrade, and a 1.something ghz dual G4 (whichever was the fastest one), which should i choose

Maybe the 1.8 GHz because only the MP aware apps utilized the extra processor(s) in Mac OS 8/9

Only MP aware apps included Final Cut, After Effects, some media encoders, Cinema 4D could use the extra processor to any time savings

if you don't use any of those apps then the extra processor isn't worth the $$$

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

What happened to the Hotline server that one yospos guy was running? Maybe someone should set up a new one so we can hang out and discuss our favourite After Dark screensaver modules

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

error1 posted:

What happened to the Hotline server that one yospos guy was running? Maybe someone should set up a new one so we can hang out and discuss our favourite After Dark screensaver modules

I was just running MultiModule with Boris and Meadow. Kittens frolicking in a grassy field chasing a butterfly, scratching the side of the screen, cleaning their face, purring, meowing, and napping. I forgot how great this one was. It's approaching the cutest thing I've ever seen.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theultimo posted:

someone was selling an LC III on eBay recently, was very hard not to push "Buy Now"

I already have a Mac IIci at home and a Mac IIx at the office, don't need more old Macs

no matter how good a home they'd have with me

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

someone was selling an LC III on eBay recently, was very hard not to push "Buy Now"

I already have a Mac IIci at home and a Mac IIx at the office, don't need more old Macs

no matter how good a home they'd have with me

Yeah, but the LC III is small, fits in anywhere. Still have my LC I.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im the 'stash

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

General Tofu posted:

I was just running MultiModule with Boris and Meadow. Kittens frolicking in a grassy field chasing a butterfly, scratching the side of the screen, cleaning their face, purring, meowing, and napping. I forgot how great this one was.

totally forgot about this

the outland saver was good too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

General Tofu posted:

I was just running MultiModule with Boris and Meadow. Kittens frolicking in a grassy field chasing a butterfly, scratching the side of the screen, cleaning their face, purring, meowing, and napping. I forgot how great this one was. It's approaching the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Just don't combine Boris and Mowing Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKYXftB68M&t=240s

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

error1 posted:

Just don't combine Boris and Mowing Man!
wow, there's an After Dark Sociopath Edition? Glad I haven't got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBiSaeMvCw

Favorite After Dark screensavers set to music. Hope you like!

edit: sorry, bad link, youtube was giving me a hard time

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 22, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

General Tofu posted:

wow, there's an After Dark Goon Edition?

fixed

Last mumble before the thread dies, the RAD750 is a radiation hardened version of the same CPU in the old beige G3 Tower Mac and has been to a comet (Deep Impact,) landed on Mars (Curiosity Rover) and one is on it's way to Jupiter (Juno.)

Not bad for a 200 MHz version of a chip.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Don't forget the worst software Apple ever made, At Ease

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

theultimo posted:

Don't forget the worst software Apple ever made, At Ease

seems like it did its function fine????

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theultimo posted: